• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - "I'm a man who plays a woman in Video Games, and I'm definitely not alone".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burli

Pringo
I always play female characters because I prefer to look at a female character's butt for hours instead of a dude's.

I play as a female whenever possible, as its what I want. For some reason it makes me feel better about myself, even though it has no physical changes on me.

Lesath

I'm with the camp that find female avatars simply more aesthetically pleasing.

Anyway, I never hid the fact I was a guy if someone made the wrong assumption, and I've never used my avatar's wiles to advantage myself to phat lewtz, though sometimes I have a nagging suspicion that I would not get away with the amount of fuckups I have made in PUGs if I had made a male toon.

Also, aside from the backpedalling, bunching up in MMOs tends to be a good way to expose yourself to boss AoEs. Jumping was simply what I did to fill the void of activity during forced movement (or when playing melee without affected cast times). Heck, if jumping wasn't tiring IRL, I'd probably do it all the goddamn time too.

Good luck with that! (Though I do think that males who want to choose female MC for fanservice are still viable.)

To OP: I play characters who are representative of me (Most of the time), so I always choose male out of habit. Also since it is the default choice, I feel so lazy enough not to change it, but that's just me.

I can't take anyone opting to play as a female character seriously and it's not my fault. I'm sorry to those that have good intentions becuase many do, but most others I've seen only do it so they can put them in as little clothing as possible and this ruins it for everyone else.

Most of the cases that you see on the Internet just ooze of that vibe and it's laughable. Not that I really have a problem with it as a guy, but it's just weird and pathetic most of the time when I see it. I play as a male to separate myself from that and it feels more natural.

I have zero problem playing as female main characters like Lara Croft when you don't have the option though as it's part of the core design and comes off way better.

Tough luck to those that aren't just a bunch of perverts. I wish it wasn't the case for you guys.

LiK

i'm those guys. i prefer looking at a female on screen. besides, strong female characters are the best.

Redrop

I just enjoy making characters, both male and female, and usually completely separate from myself.

I find it interesting that a number of posters seem to think that making a character = AUTOMATIC IDENTIFICATION. What's the fun in that?

What about his preferences makes him juvenielle?
I agree. At worst he's overly horny lol. I'm sure the original guy was kidding, but even so, it describes why I never opt to play as female characters. That perspective is easy to understand as a guy, but it's still a bit too pathetic for my liking.

I just enjoy making characters, both male and female, and usually completely separate from myself.

I find it interesting that a number of posters seem to think that making a character = AUTOMATIC IDENTIFICATION. What's the fun in that?

I feel the same. When I make a character, I usually choose the gender based on the character I want to play as for the given game. To me its no fun just making myself in every game.

Raptor

I agree. At worst he's overly horny lol. I'm sure the original guy was kidding, but even so, it describes why I never opt to play as female characters. That perspective is easy to understand as a guy, but it's still a bit too pathetic for my liking.

What about looking at a female character is pathetic or overly horny?

If I look at a girl is because of that alone? or because Im juvenile? lol, I as a man I like females, what is so hard to understand? not because Im super horny or because Im a pathetic loser or whatever but simply because I have a preference towards looking at females when I have the ontion in videogames.

This all thing is hilarious to me.

In most RPGs with create a character I'll make myself the first time around. If I'm given a choice in gender otherwise I choose whichever one looks more appealing. Depends on the art direction

Aeana

Word. I don't want to stare at a dude's ass for 100+ hours.

I always play female characters because I prefer to look at a female character's butt for hours instead of a dude's.
I don't think I've ever spent any time looking at the butt of the character I'm controlling. It seems really strange that this is one of the most common reasons stated for playing a female character, to me.

tengiants

Interesting article and subject. I've talked to my male friends about this in the past and I've come to the conclusion that it's about what you play videogames for. If you play to escape reality - like if you find the same type of entertainment in videogames that you do from watching TV, then a male with a female avatar plays in favor of that trait of escapism. This isn't the case for everyone though, just what I've seen in my friends.

This is not how or why I play games personally. I'm old school and tend to prefer skill based games where the avatar is less important. I also like open world RPGs which I think are a bit more escapist than my normal tastes, but even then I think of it being myself being immersed in that world, and the 'soul' of me is in the avatar. Because of this, I usually make characters that kinda resemble me (I'm lazy and don't spend too much time on it).

What about looking at a female character is pathetic or overly horny?

If I look at a girl is because of that alone? or because Im juvenile? lol, I as a man I like females, what is so hard to understand? not because Im super horny or because Im a pathetic loser or whatever but simply because I have a preference towards looking at females when I have the ontion in videogames.

This all thing is hilarious to me.
I just personally find it pathetic to stare at digital characters for reasons of attraction. Look, do what you like. I'm not trying to be a white knight here. I just think if you want to objectify chicks, at least do it with real ones... not saying that's technically okay either, but it's something. I'm not a perfect person.

It's just how I feel about it, man. I find it kind of pathetic, but why listen to me if you don't agree? Don't sweat it.

In general, I can always make a more interesting looking female character. Pretty much all there is to it for me.

In the rare event I like the way the guys look, I'll play one of those too. Like male trolls in WoW.

I always pick the shortest or punkiest looking hair for my girls though.

MegaMelon

I don't think I've ever spent any time looking at the butt of the character I'm controlling. It seems really strange that this is one of the most common reasons stated for playing a female character, to me.

The point isn't really that the characters butt will be in your face, but rather the character itself will, so you'd obviously want something that looks better (female character) then something you view as loooking not as good (male character).

The real test is Demon Gaze and Mass Effect for different reasons. In DG, the characters still refer to you as a male even if you choose a female character. In ME, it's on paper a bit strange to be romancing men as a straight man.

However, disregard abnormalities, acquire female MC. :)

The point isn't really that the characters butt will be in your face, but rather the character itself will, so you'd obviously want something that looks better (female character) then something you view as loooking not as good (male character).
I buy it, but even a straight guy can think a male character is awesome to look at. In a "this is an image of how awesome I feel" kind of way. I like playing as custom male characters because it's you, but more awesome. I suppose it's meant to be empowering, and it works for me.

I feel like this is the whole point of the character creation system. Playing as the opposite sex seems to diminish that quite a bit. That's why I don't do it.

Raptor

I just personally find it pathetic to stare at digital characters for reasons of attraction. Look, do what you like. I'm not trying to be a white knight here. I just think if you want to objectify chicks, at least do it with real ones... not saying that's technically okay either, but it's something. I'm not a perfect person.

It's just how I feel about it, man. I find it kind of pathetic, but why listen to me if you don't agree? Don't sweat it.

There is no objectification at all in here, maybe you think that looking at women real or not is nothing more than objectifying them but thats a problem with your view of things not what is in reality, you say looking at female like this is pathetic then 98% of the world male population is pathetic going by your logic.

Is just a preference nothing more and nothing less for me anyway, there is all sorts of people out there so Im not talking for everyone just for me.

KePoW

Banned

People do not mean just the butt literally. They are talking about preferring to see an attractive female figure in general when playing.

Which I think is perfectly understandable.

I play a lot of female characters in RPGs for this reason, usually spellcaster or stealth types. But I definitely do not change how I chat with people, I make it very clear that I'm a male in real life.

MegaMelon

I buy it, but even a straight guy can think a male character is awesome to look at. In a "this is an image of how awesome I feel" kind of way. I like playing as custom male characters because it's you, but more awesome. I suppose it's meant to be empowering, and it works for me.

Oh yeah I totally agree with you. For something like Monster Hunter I always play as the guy cause it feels a lot more fitting for me and I can make the character "me". It boils down to what type of game it is really.

Popnbake

I usually play female characters in fighters due to how they are designed but other than that, I stick with playing and creating male characters.

This is still the case, and it's pretty creepy. I only recently started playing as female characters in MMO's and I was shocked at how prevalent this is. Guys sending me PM's calling me gorgeous or asking if I need help. Weirdos. I figured that by 2014 most MMO players realized that having a female character doesn't automatically mean you're a real, human female.

It was quite prevalent when I played Maple Story.

The term used was g.i.r.l. (guy in real life) and they made quite a bit of NX (mainly obtained by spending real world cash) by pretending to be the girlfriend of another player.

Sometimes I play as a girl, sometimes I don't. There really isn't anything more to it, just whatever my mood is at the moment of creation. I don't change how I act either, RPing in a videogame is almost always cringe inducing.

Lesath

During vent chatter, I often find myself using "I", "my", and "me" whenever I refer to my female avatar. Sure, I might do it out of convenience, but I am not adverse to the idea that I simply enjoy not being as bound by gender roles, and that my avatar in some ways represents an aspect of myself other than an aesthetic preference. I think I'm comfortable with either possibility.

LoveCake

I only play as a female avi in poker games.

The only other times is in fighting games, Street Fighter, Tekken etc because you have to play every character to unlock everything, in other games where you can choose gender i always play as a male.

I never pick a female character, but if the character in the game is female, I have no problem with that. I'm a black guy that always picks a White or Asian guy in my games if given a choice lol.

FaintDeftone

I always pick female characters in RPGs just because their armor and general looks always look much better than male characters, with the exception of the Souls series where they ultimately look identical.

Prophezz

Banned
I very rarely play as female characters in games with character creation. I actually cant recall the last time I did.

Same here. I just prefer to play as dudes (unless of course the game's protagonist is a female). I do have male friends who mix it up with female characters.

There is no objectification at all in here, maybe you think that looking at women real or not is nothing more than objectifying them but thats a problem with your view of things not what is in reality, you say looking at female like this is pathetic then 98% of the world male population is pathetic going by your logic.

Is just a preference nothing more and nothing less for me anyway, there is all sorts of people out there so Im not talking for everyone just for me.
Well... no objectification is debatable as it started with someone wanting to (jokingly or not) just stare at an ass. I didn't just insert that for fun. There's a pun in there somewhere.

Yes, I think that someone picking a female character for the sole purpose of just looking at them is pathetic. That was the main point. If that means I'm in the 2% then fine.

If you have genuine reasons for liking to play as a female character other than that, I take no issue with it of course.

ChrisD

I mix it up, I play both sexes.

It really just depends on my mood on the day.

Basically this. In an MMO or anything of the sort where I'm stuck with my choice I'll go male, but if it's just a multiplayer title it changes up all the time. It gets boring seeing the same thing day after day.

link4117

My first online game was Diablo and I played a rogue. After that I I just kept making female players for whatever reason. In WoW, it was because I thought the female model looked better than the male one. Also, I just really like ponytails.

I thought as much at first but then I saw like 4 people quote him and agree so I had to say something.

I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but in general anyone who thinks this way is extremely juvenile.

I wouldn't really phrase it in that way, but part of the reason I usually go with male characters is because they are more attractive to me. I don't avoid games with female protagonists and think that the face value meaning of that excuse is stupid, but when I make a character, the eye candy is a factor for me, even if it's not a vital part of the experience.

MegaMelon

Well... no objectification is debatable as it started with someone wanting to (jokingly or not) just stare at an ass. I didn't just insert that for fun. There's a pun in there somewhere.
It was a crude joke. The ass isn't what the player is going to be looking at, that's obvious.
Yes, I think that someone picking a female character for the sole purpose of just looking at them is pathetic. That was the main point. If that means I'm in the 2% then fine.
I think you've somehow misinterpreted what many people have been saying in this thread. You're not ACTIVELY staring at a characters ass. But you will be looking at them fo how many hours you choose to spend playing the game. There's nothing wrong with picking one option over the other, even if it's because it's more aesthetically pleasing.

Daingurse

Sometimes I just want to play a woman. I like to make many different characters, and appreciate variety. My favorite Commander Shepherd, was a female Renegade Engineer. An absolutely brutal woman. My favorite WoW character before I quit, was a female Troll Shaman. I enjoy making, and playing female characters, I don't even stop to think about why. I feel no need to justify anything, not even to myself.

Loofy

Usually when I have to customize a character I make a female. Feels weird spending 30 minutes to craft your perfect male...

Otherwise I just go with who looks better. Male wizard in diablo 3 looks really emo, go with female. Male monk just looks plain dumb.
I mean wtf.
fSANOcy.jpg

Also anyone play titan quest? most of the items in the game involve jewelry, tiaras, and skirts(they call them 'tunics'). Who wants to play as this?
ZWoFxtN.jpg

I heard this (and at the time probably professed this myself) sentiment when young men in the 90s were concerned what their classmates were saying about them playing Tomb Raider.

Not presuming anything about anyone here, and I'm sure it's accurate on some level for most straight men, but that's where I've been familiar with it.

Hubb

If you have genuine reasons for liking to play as a female character other than that, I take no issue with it of course.

Is creating a character that is ascetically pleasing not a genuine reason? If all things are equal and the only difference between two characters are their looks, I think it is a perfectly fine reason to choose the one you find ascetically pleasing.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
That's because you play a Lalafell

I usually play as Females in fighters as they're the fastest characters.
Same here.

Also in RPGs where you make your own I almost always make a woman. I find making female char, naming it after my wife and then having it be a bad ass more fun than just yet another dude.

But I don't play games as if I am the character. That can be a big distinction in why and what a player makes.

In MMOs such as wow I often simply choose the sex that I thought suited the class the most. For example a female undead warlock with a black cat for a pet ( a witch basically) and a male troll shaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom