• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Lost Ark's Depiction Of Female Characters Feels A Decade Out Of Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

GymWolf

Kotaku’s dream woman:

just_another_day_in_la_2200016705.jpg
That's a huge clit.

Bragr

Banned
It's pretty hilarious how sexualized the women are in this game. Part of me appreciates that the developers just don't give a crap, another part of me kind of cringes at the thought that I'm playing the same game as some nerds who get off on this sort of thing. Either way, Kotaku can get bent.
You don't think women like to play with sexualized women? in my experience, they are more into dressing up and picking the hottest female characters than most of the guys. Kotaku seems to have this idea that women want to play as Aloy or some other cow-looking creature in every game.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
You don't think women like to play with sexualized women? in my experience, they are more into dressing up and picking the hottest female characters than most of the guys. Kotaku seems to have this idea that women want to play as Aloy or some other cow-looking creature in every game.

Indeed. My ex was into Wow and her favourite past time was putting together skimpy outfits.

Buggy Loop

As cringe as I find Korean female models are (I just like things a bit more serious and grounded in reality than say Xenoblade 2 titties, but I really don’t care if some peoples want that), if you’re a female twitch streamer farming the pockets of simps because of your looks, please kindly STFU on this subject.

mortal

Gold Member
How can it feel like it's "out of date" when the developers are going for a specific presentation, with an emphasis on sexy & cool design language?
If this is considered out of date, then what exactly is the end goal?

The sex appeal is obviously intentionally exaggerated, much like the power fantasy elements are.
Funnily enough, I rarely ever see people making this argument have any qualms with the sexualization of male characters in games.

There is plenty of room for all manner of character designs to exist in the industry, so long as they appeal to their respective audiences, I do not see the issue here.
Considering the popularity of Lost Ark, the vast majority of players would disagree with the opinion of this so-called journalist at Kotaku.

It sounds like this person is trying to pass off their personal tastes as an authoritative standard or ideal that all games must adhere to.
Which is always annoying, regardless of their ideological persuasions.

Atrus

Gold Member
Please respect other cultures!

Not every culture fantasizes about playing a haggard, mentally ill, obese woman in leggings who don’t need no man. Nor is every culture in the grip of nihilistic self-destruction.

Some cultures can even understand that fantasy depictions do not have to correlate with any real world counterpart and that if you don’t like a thing, it is fine for that thing to exist beyond your purview.

ManaByte

Gold Member
As cringe as I find Korean female models are (I just like things a bit more serious and grounded in reality than say Xenoblade 2 titties, but I really don’t care if some peoples want that), if you’re a female twitch streamer farming the pockets of simps because of your looks, please kindly STFU on this subject.

What does Kotaku think of a streamer straddling an inflatable banana in a wading pool while wearing a bikini and writing simps' names on their arms?

Fbh

And yet:

NLIskXi.png

It....it's almost as if Kotaku, Polygon, Resetera and pink/blue haired people on Twitter are just a loud minority that's never been representative of the gaming community at large, and whose opinions have no impact on the success of a game.

Will Lost Ark be the game that finally proves this to executives, studio heads and investors? Sadly, probably not.

Last edited:

artsi

And yet:

NLIskXi.png

It....it's almost as if Kotaku, Polygon, Resetera and pink/blue haired people on Twitter are just a loud minority that's never been representative of the gaming community at large, and whose opinions have no impact on the success of a game.

Will Lost Ark be the game that finally proves this to executives, studios heads and investors? Sadly, probably not.

1,134,618 misogynists and bigots - according to certain people.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Laughing at funny = good.

Laughing at stupid = good

Feigning moral superiority = not so good, but still a treasure trove for people who laugh at funny and stupid

I've learned to ignore the bolded people for the most part. To me, we need "some" people like that just to maintain balance. Even if most ignore them, I like that they exist to some degree. A broken clock is right twice a day (though I don't think they are right with this issue though).

GooseMan69

It’s funny how women will often embrace these “sexualized” female characters like Quiet, while the only people who complain are some blue checkmark neckbeard loser dudes.

People like sexy characters, male and female.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Imagine believing that every game in existence needs to cater to you.
Y'all who don't like the female characters in Lost Ark already got like almost every game catered to you already.

Just grow the fuck up and play something else.

Edit: Also I am getting really tired of anything overtly feminine gets demonized, no one bitches about guys walking with their chest puffed up to the heavens like they've got a stick up their ass and are being pushed forward by their muscles.
The female characters in this game basically walk like models, I fail to see what the problem with it is.
It's just annoying how you can always push masculinity as far as you want but if you do it with femininty people immediately start bitching about it.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
This is the second thread you have wholesale lifted from Era today.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe, you were the OP in that thread. If you want to have those discussions here, at least make the threads your own or pick different quotes.

I don't want to see this place start looking like an Era copycat.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think we can all agree, character creation needs to have a butt-waggle slider so you can customize this shit. If you want a woman (or dude) who walks around like a sexy dominatrix, you can have it. If you want one that runs like a football player, you can have that too.

Lol now I want to make a dude who looks like a lumberjack but struts his stuff like Ru Paul

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is the second thread you have wholesale lifted from Era today.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe, you were the OP in that thread. If you want to have those discussions here, at least make the threads your own or pick different quotes.

I don't want to see this place start looking like an Era copycat.

Personally I don't care. 1/10th of the effort. 10x the openness in conversation. They copied everything from here.

Vaelka

I think we can all agree, character creation needs to have a butt-waggle slider so you can customize this shit. If you want a woman (or dude) who walks around like a sexy dominatrix, you can have it. If you want one that runs like a football player, you can have that too.

Lol now I want to make a dude who looks like a lumberjack but struts his stuff like Ru Paul
In all honesty I just think people need to get the fuck over themselves.
You're not entitled to always have a choice and I am getting really tired of these kinds of people who are so incapable of dealing with having something they dislike exist.

I personally really love the female characters in Lost Ark, animations included.
And I really don't like most male characters in games, they're something I put up with rather than enjoy the same goes with most female characters in Western games.
The difference is that I don't act like it's a crime against humanity that they exist.

It's just so tiresome that this has to be a conversation literally every single time, it was the same with the Project EVE trailer.
And what makes it even more frustrating is that whenever I ask for more feminine options people jump down my throat and throw every stereotypical insult my way.
But then these same people will sit around shit-talking stuff like this it's so one-sided.
The difference is that I barely have any options that I like in games while people who dislike these characters have almost every game and character nowadays catered to them.

The notion that there needs to be like a modesty toggle option and an option for different animations just reeks of entitlement imo.
To me it's like me saying that in TLOU and HZD or Assassins Creed Valhalla there needs to be an option to turn the female characters into like in Lost Ark.
It's like why are these people more deserving of an option just because this one game doesn't cater to them and why wouldn't I be for games that don't cater to me ( which again is most )?

No one is entitled to an option, the devs decided that this was what they wanted to make and they made it that's it end of story.
People can decide to not play it or play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom