• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Lost Ark's Depiction Of Female Characters Feels A Decade Out Of Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Zk1VTSX.jpg

Danknugz

Who the fuck plays a videogame, and tries to identify as that character, and think they should look lik them in real life?.
And even if that was a true thing, why has it been alright for years to have Arnie looking muscle freaks in games, with no 'worry' about how that will affect men?
because double standards i guess. i don't write the plays bro i just watch them, im a spectator no horses in this race.

Without even looking at it, I'm gonna guess the article was written by either that one Zack guy or that Ian Walker guy. It's gotto be one of them; they're the absolute worst when it comes to the extreme left hot garbage they put out.

It's funny, I used to visit Kotaku regularly a long time ago; I guess I should be thankful to them since they are how I found GAF in the first place. But after 2016 they -- like a lot of other videogame and general publications -- just completely lost their marbles and started becoming more (left wing) radicalized to the point where sociopolitical issues started overtaking the main subject matter.

All those years ago, they used to do good videogame reporting and journalism. Now? They're just an extreme left political tabloid with a hint of video game content. Which is why you get articles like the one linked in the OP.

Tams

Gold Member
Without even looking at it, I'm gonna guess the article was written by either that one Zack guy or that Ian Walker guy. It's gotto be one of them; they're the absolute worst when it comes to the extreme left hot garbage they put out.

It's funny, I used to visit Kotaku regularly a long time ago; I guess I should be thankful to them since they are how I found GAF in the first place. But after 2016 they -- like a lot of other videogame and general publications -- just completely lost their marbles and started becoming more (left wing) radicalized to the point where sociopolitical issues started overtaking the main subject matter.

All those years ago, they used to do good videogame reporting and journalism. Now? They're just an extreme left political tabloid with a hint of video game content. Which is why you get articles like the one linked in the OP.
Are they still massive fucking weebs over there? I haven't visited since Gawker imploded.

Last edited:

Mabdia

it's all about not making girls/women who play games feel like they have to live up to some unrealistic ideal of what the female body should look like, because it can lead to things like eating disorders, depression etc. i get that.

not sure this fits that whole thing though, seems a little over the top to complain about a walking animation.
Youre Kidding Are You Serious GIF by Snowfall
Serious Leslie Nielsen GIF by filmeditor

Well from what i understand most asian countries dont give a shit about this woke nonsense.
God bless them.
That's why we still have some good looking games, comics/manga and animations.

I know it is part and parcel of the internet but I wish I could still engage with social media and review sites (which are basically just an extension of social media these days) without the constant whining about politics and cancel culture shit.

It's not just the PC police either as I frequently watch/play stuff that is regarded as woke or pandering and outside of a few cases I've never had an issue or even noticed in 99% of cases.

Are they still massive fucking weebs over there? I have visited since Gawker imploded.
Sort of? They still have that one dude that's dedicated to Japan and other Far East matters. He seems like the only one that still writes like he did in the old days and hasn't gone the "left wing lunacy" route.

I myself don't care about anime or anime-heavy games so I'm oblivious to how much of that they cover.

The only thing 10 years out of date is this tiresome SJW schtick.
Its time to move on loonies, the masses dont care about your 'cause'.
Yes, this is an old fart millenial thing!

Seriously, this is like the covid measures: everyone sees the holes in the logic when they are in private (family/friends)... but in the public sphere they are there and most people follow them, they will even fight to keep them in some cases (I'm in Canada).

peek

Neo Member
Even though the article is pretty ridiculous... I gotta agree on the locked gender for classes thing.

That IS outdated. Leme pick whatever class as either gender.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
"it seems as if the folks making this game just ignored the last decade or so of discussions and debates surrounding representation of women and non-masculine characters in games."

Yeah, it is called freedom of expression, something you ironically failed to grasp.
More like they ignored Kotatu, Ree and Twitter and actually went outside.

DryvBy

How dare women not subscribe to Kotaku's feminist way of looking/walking!

If I made video games for a living, I'd troll them by making all my women walk on their hands instead of feet.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Say what you will about that other forum, but their Lost Ark game thread is very active, so it seems the booba stuff in this game doesn't bother them too much. GAF barely has something resembling a game thread on this one, we'd rather discuss Kotaku getting their panties in a bunch about an animation.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Say what you will about that other forum, but their Lost Ark game thread is very active, so it seems the booba stuff in this game doesn't bother them too much. GAF barely has something resembling a game thread on this one, we'd rather discuss Kotaku getting their panties in a bunch about an animation.
Aw another era member i assume? Is this suppose to be a..some kind of subtle jab mm?

Joined date 2014? Before the split right?

With sifu hfw gt7 elden ring couldnt care less about this game ( srsly never even heard of this game before this article)

Perhaps you can join them there and not bother coming here? Have a nice day

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
Ah another era member i assume?

Joined date 2014? Before the split right?

With sifu hfw gt7 elden ring couldnt care less about this game ( srsly never even heard of thisbgame before this article)

Or perhaps you can join them there and not bother coming here? Have a nicr day
I am not an ERA member. I don't agree with most of what they stand for. I am enjoying the game, so I look for threads where people are talking about it as to learn more about it. Is that OK with you? Calm your ass down, man. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I am not an ERA member. I don't agree with most of what they stand for. I am enjoying the game, so I look for threads where people are talking about it as to learn more about it. Is that OK with you? Calm your ass down, man. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I just trying to point out that this game is so irrelevant for me that i couldnt even bother to look at it thats all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom