• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Microsoft New Studio Acquisitions Show How Much Xbox Has Changed.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://kotaku.com/microsoft-s-new-studio-acquisitions-show-how-much-xbox-1830383030

At the end of a relatively uneventful Xbox showcase in Mexico City on Saturday afternoon, head of Microsoft Studios Matt Booty announced that his company planned to buy Obsidian (Fallout New Vegas) and Inxile (Wasteland). The former we already knew about—Kotaku broke the news last month—but the latter seemed odd. Obsidian and Inxile share a lot of common traits. They both specialize in old-school PC RPGs, they both come from the lineage of Interplay (Fallout) and Black Isle (Baldur’s Gate), and they both operate in the no-man’s-zone between indie and AAA, making the type of mid-budget games that most publishers have abandoned. Why would Microsoft want them both?

For Obsidian and Inxile, the deal was simple: Both studios have faced financial struggles over the years, and crowdfunding wasn’t enough to support the type of ambitious games they like to make. Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity 2, which came out earlier this year, was a commercial flop (and a good game overshadowed by the transcendent Divinity Original Sin 2). Inxile’s recently released Bard’s Tale IV earned mediocre reviews. Bouncing from crowdfunded project to crowdfunded project seemed unsustainable, and now, both Obsidian and Inxile have financial security for years to come (or at least until the next time Xbox changes bosses).

It’s not as easy to see why Microsoft would want two companies with similar pedigrees. Obviously, the Xbox’s lineup of first-party games has been anemic over the past couple of years, especially compared to its longtime competitor, Sony, which seems to put out one Game of the Year competitor after another. But Obsidian and Inxile are small studios—neither is as massive as Sony Santa Monica (God of War) or Guerrilla Games (Horizon: Zero Dawn), and neither has ever tried to compete in the arms race over graphical fidelity. How do they fit into Microsoft’s long-term strategy?

Truth is, as Team Xbox has been signaling for quite some time now, and as we’ve gathered from our own conversations with both people in and outside of the company, Microsoft is no longer interested in competing directly with Sony. That’s a battle it lost as soon as Xbox executives started outlining its original, odd plans for Xbox One in 2013. The PS4 has outperformed the Xbox One so resoundingly, Microsoft stopped providing hardware sales figures.

Instead of licking its wounds and trying to fight Sony yet again next generation, the Xbox division under Phil Spencer has taken a drastically different approach. What Microsoft wants most today is studios that will help boost its impressive Game Pass subscription service, its upcoming streaming platform, and its continued stabs at PC gaming. Developing big Xbox exclusives is no longer a priority for Microsoft, and in fact, the company decided in 2016 that it would release future games on both Xbox and PC. Soon enough, Game Pass will also be available on PC, and it wouldn’t be shocking to see Microsoft embrace Steam—or overhaul the Windows store—as it tries to reach the hundreds of millions of people who play video games on computers.

So why wouldn’t Microsoft want to own two respected PC developers? Spencer and co are likely salivating at the thought of packaging big RPG bundles with a Game Pass subscription. Both Obsidian and Inxile have long been full of talented developers but hampered by resources, and both make games that appeal to very specific, hardcore audiences, which makes them perfect components to Microsoft’s long-term strategy.

I think microsoft is smart to try and figure other ways to compete, but the article is wrong in saying microsoft is not interested in competing directly against sony. Of course they want to compete. Competing doesnt have to mean outselling sony in games and hardware. There are many ways to compete.

alienator

"Microsoft is no longer interested in competing directly with Sony"

So thats why they build the worlds most powerfull console(tm).
According to a lot of numbers lately Sony seems to have Microsoft cornered with PSNow, so they start their xcloud thingie.
A lot of reasons are there for to compete, or else u might as well just give up.

Foxbat

Banned
When they say "No longer interested in competing directly with Sony", I think they mean 'Only with Sony'.

They're still competing with Sony, they're just looking to compete in the pc area as well. Sony doesn't really have a presence there. MS looking to improve the Windows store is competing more with Steam, Origins, Uplay than it is against Sony.
MS going into the streaming end I think is competing with Sony, but is probably due more to Amazon and Google's interest in that field than Sony's presence there already.
Gamepass was likely designed to compete with sub models like EA Access more so than PSNow. I think PSNOW has turned and began to compete against GP recently though as they've begun to allow downloads.

MS seems to have the cannons on their ship pointed in all directions these days rather than at one specific enemy.

Whitecrow

Banned
XBox have been more about motivational and inspirational quotes than anything, lately., thanks to good guy Phil.

I wonder if great results will come along eventually.

I don’t think we should be popping the champagne bottles yet until we see exactly what these acquisitions produce for Microsoft. I’m sure they will create some solid to quality titles, but hopefully they will actually help the Xbox brand and the demographic won’t ignore them again like with the Xbox One.

The fact is MS has alot to gain with PC + console of they can maneuver correctly, offering the utmost center of gaming between consoles and PC. Their offerings would be second to none when properly positioned.

Virex

Banned
Thankfully this isn't another "Phil Spencer says" thread. Phil Spencer should rather consider becoming a motivational speaker or a life coach. You can buy all the studios you want and throw as much money at games as you want. Money isn't going to make quality it's nurturing that talent you acquired that will provide quality games lest you end up with a legendary studio that exists only in name and the rest of the talent is gone.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They're trying Nintendo's way of selling. Doing his own thing, but not far behind "the whole". I guess that we are entering a new age of consoles, with Nintendo having his hybrid and Microsoft with a plataform in first place.

SUPERGGK

I think this cycle repeats every gen. Microsoft announces their commitment to games at the start of the gen. They announce a lot of first and third party exclusive games at the start of the gen and by the middle and end of the gen there are hardly any exclusive games to play for Xbox. I wonder if things will be different next gen

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't see that much having changed at all really. MS focus is still on selling subscriptions, everything they've done seems to be intended to bolster the value proposition of said subscription services now and into the future.

Kazza

XBox have been more about motivational and inspirational quotes than anything, lately., thanks to good guy Phil.

I wonder if great results will come along eventually.

I don’t think we should be popping the champagne bottles yet until we see exactly what these acquisitions produce for Microsoft. I’m sure they will create some solid to quality titles, but hopefully they will actually help the Xbox brand and the demographic won’t ignore them again like with the Xbox One.

This whole studio acquisition thing is still a relatively recent development. Games take time to develop, so I think it's unfair to judge them just yet. However, if it still hasn't borne fruit by the time "Scarlett" hits in 2020(?), then I think they're fair game.

Last edited:

Dunki

No not really as always Kotaku is wrong. Microsoft often bought companies and exclusive contract with the history of destroying them. Maybe we wait a few years to see what these studios actually working on.

It will be interesting to see how many people will leave from Obsidian and InExile because they wont have a the absolute freedom anymore.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
I said this in the XO18 thread and got a strong reaction so I deleted it but here goes:

Xbox as a brand reminds me of Bryce from 13 reasons why. Bryce is a guy who finds himself in trouble because of bad actions that he did by trying to take advantage of people. Bryce has daddies money bail him out. That's the vibe I get Xbox's leadership heads. Smug bastards given daddy's checkbook with no real successes to lay claim to. We saw what happened when Xbox feels like they are ahead from 360's "success," they will take advantage of consumers.

It blows my mind people are actively cheering Microsoft of all companies, a company known for enforcing monopolies, when they buy up studios. Microsoft being the leader of the industry would be bad for everyone except for EA and Activision. It would be a games a service, DLC locked on the disc, micro transaction, pay a fee to play wasteland. Eastern and Japanese Devs would slash budgets or move to mobile games exclusively. Single player story games would be a thing of the past.

I guess even some gamers want the jocks in charge.

Blam

According to a lot of numbers lately Sony seems to have Microsoft cornered with PSNow, so they start their xcloud thingie.
A lot of reasons are there for to compete, or else u might as well just give up.
All of these things have been in word for a long time. Stop focusing on the negatives, and you're failing to see microsoft is only interested in users of xbox live. They couldn't care at all if you bought an Xbox.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
When they say "No longer interested in competing directly with Sony", I think they mean 'Only with Sony'.

They're still competing with Sony, they're just looking to compete in the pc area as well. Sony doesn't really have a presence there. MS looking to improve the Windows store is competing more with Steam, Origins, Uplay than it is against Sony.
MS going into the streaming end I think is competing with Sony, but is probably due more to Amazon and Google's interest in that field than Sony's presence there already.
Gamepass was likely designed to compete with sub models like EA Access more so than PSNow. I think PSNOW has turned and began to compete against GP recently though as they've begun to allow downloads.

MS seems to have the cannons on their ship pointed in all directions these days rather than at one specific enemy.

Then why didn't they just type "only with Sony" if that's what Kotoku meant?

Skyn3t

Banned
> Kotaku
> Jason Schreier

HlUuuZP.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No not really as always Kotaku is wrong. Microsoft often bought companies and exclusive contract with the history of destroying them. Maybe we wait a few years to see what these studios actually working on.

It will be interesting to see how many people will leave from Obsidian and InExile because they wont have a the absolute freedom anymore.

THIS! Will MS stop dictating to studios what their games need to play like going forward? Or will they allow them to actually make the games they really want to make?

Studio acquisitions don't mean anything to me. It's the results that matter. Let's talk about how much MS and XBox have changed after these studios have released good games. It's too early to celebrate now.

demigod

Fucking terrible article. They're trying to build the next most powerful console too. If they weren't trying to compete, they wouldn't care about power.

> Kotaku
> Jason Schreier

You made me click, now i know why the article is shit.

Akuza89

They acquired a lot of studios.

It's obviously taken a lot of time and money to make these purchases happen, but providing Microsoft don't try and push into the development for their games and just leave them to it, they could get some really good games coming from these studios.

I'm curious what ninja theory and obsidian can do personally, next gen will be very interesting to say the least.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

Wasn't the One X already in the works before Phil took over though?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its worth considering that MS stole a march power-wise on PS4 with One X only by launching a year later and at $100 more rrp. I highly doubt that they would risk using that strategy again so soon. I'd suspect that the next Playstation and Xbox are going to be somewhat similar technologically.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't see that much having changed at all really. MS focus is still on selling subscriptions, everything they've done seems to be intended to bolster the value proposition of said subscription services now and into the future.

That livestream for XO18 did feel like I was watching an infomercial for Game Pass.

iconmaster

Banned
What’s the point of The Initiative then if it’s not for the big Xbox exclusives?

The only way I can make sense of "developing big Xbox exclusives is no longer a priority for Microsoft" is if "Xbox exclusive" literally means "Xbox-only and not PC." But that seems hardly worth pointing out.

Barakov

Gold Member
Too early to tell I think. Buying all these studios so they have more Xbox/Win10 exclusives is a good thing but we'll have to wait to see how it all pans out.

That livestream for XO18 did feel like I was watching an infomercial for Game Pass.
Definitely. While we got to see some stuff on already announced games it was really just a commercial for Xbox. Kinda've a waste of time overall, I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom