• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku, Snitch] God of War announcement for June 30th pushed back

Draugoth

Gold Member
ea79ab41219519ab554766e533f304a0.jpg

The Snitch told Kotaku over Twitter DMs that whatever announcement Sony had planned for June 30 was pushed back

For the past week, God of War: Ragnarök has been trending on Twitter, though there isn’t any definitive news from developer Sony Santa Monica Studio. Instead, there have just been a series of tweets from “industry insiders” pointing to a potential livestream reveal of the game on June 30. The rumor’s source is cryptic, but now producer Cory Barlog has responded to the growing conversation, asking folks to chill out and “please be patient” when looking for updates.

It all started on June 23 when Twitter user The Snitch tweeted a vague God Of War GIF with what appeared to be binary code:”11110.” In the Decimal System, “11110" translates to “30,” which led folks in The Snitch’s mentions to assume some announcement was coming on the 30th of some month. "When reached for comment, The Snitch told Kotaku over Twitter DMs that whatever announcement Sony had planned for June 30 was pushed back. They refused to provide deets on how they came about their info other than alluding to getting it from the same source as Bloomberg. As a result, The Snitch said the delay left them “more worried” about Ragnarök.“ There was going to be a reveal,” The Snitch claims. “But Sony delayed it. It was not a State of Play or a new gameplay trailer. That’s all I can say. It’s a shame. I’m more worried about the game. To me it means it’s not polished enough.”"

Last edited:

kyliethicc

When reached for comment, The Snitch told Kotaku over Twitter DMs that whatever announcement Sony had planned for June 30 was pushed back. They refused to provide deets on how they came about their info other than alluding to getting it from the same source as Bloomberg. As a result, The Snitch said the delay left them “more worried” about Ragnarök.

“There was going to be a reveal,” The Snitch claims. “But Sony delayed it. It was not a State of Play or a new gameplay trailer. That’s all I can say. It’s a shame. I’m more worried about the game. To me it means it’s not polished enough.”

I still don't get why it's such a secret when the game will release.

How hard would it be to say "right now we are targeting a November release but we aren't 100% sure yet, things could come up and it could get pushed into 2023" or "we are working on trailer but it got delayed".

No, Sony has to announce the announcement of a mysterious State of Play 2 days in advance then premier it in potato quality live on youtube.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Unless the announcement is "and the game is out right now" it's really absurd they're being so coy about putting out a blog post with the release date and a link to pre order the game.

When reached for comment, The Snitch told Kotaku over Twitter DMs that whatever announcement Sony had planned for June 30 was pushed back. They refused to provide deets on how they came about their info other than alluding to getting it from the same source as Bloomberg. As a result, The Snitch said the delay left them “more worried” about Ragnarök.

“There was going to be a reveal,” The Snitch claims. “But Sony delayed it. It was not a State of Play or a new gameplay trailer. That’s all I can say. It’s a shame. I’m more worried about the game. To me it means it’s not polished enough.”

Someone should probably tell him that they did this same thing with GT7 and that came out just fine (well aside from predatory MTX) around the time people expected it. Folks were thinking it'd be delayed because the SoP was delayed, but that didn't end up happening.

At this point Ragnarok's been in development for at least four years, IIRC dev started near the end of GoW 2018. It's using the same engine, so most of the work's been in making new character models, additional animations, tweaking current models and animations with more fidelity, tuning parts of the engine, writing a new script and doing new mo-cap and VA work, those sort of things. They didn't need to do a new engine from scratch or reinvent the foundation gameplay the way 2018 had to.

So I can kind of believe that maybe they are still polishing parts of the game and it could potentially go into Q1 2023, but I don't see that as a reason to be worried about the game's status. From what we've seen so far it looks more than stable and sturdy enough, running smoothly etc. I still got too many games to play through as-is so a delay won't affect me but I can understand how it may for some others.

Just chill with the toxic Twitter posts for the ones who'd be upset is all.

Top Bottom