• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Steam Finally Adds Official LGBTQ+ Tag For Games

CyberPanda

Banned
The process of finding games on Steam has become increasingly driven by a tag system. Mouse over, say, Sekiro on Steam’s front page, and you’ll see descriptor tags like “Souls-like,” “Difficult,” and “Action.” Click on one of those tags, and you’ll be taken to a hub page for that game category. But that’s just the beginning. Steam’s algorithmic recommendations are often tag-based, meaning that users’ ability to discover new games is, in part, tied to those tags. For these reasons, some Steam users and game developers have taken issue with the fact that, for years, Steam hasn’t had an official LGBTQ+ tag. Yesterday, that finally changed, with Valve adding an approved LGBTQ+ tag after a developer once again shined a light on the issue.

Complimentary screen cap regarding this, their opinion is very important:

Screen-Shot-2019-06-21-at-4-21-06-PM.png

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
games are gay

edit: not hating, this seems like a good idea

Last edited:
What kind of person sets this as a filter when they are looking for their next game to play...Do you wanna search based on genre? No? Challenge? No? Sexuality of characters? Yes!
Yeah, it reminds me of that John DiMaggio clip from E3 where he berates some dude during a Q&A for asking about a characters sexual preference

brap

Banned
So is there really no way to look for regular visual novels? To my knowledge steam doesn't let you filter out tags.

Eh, I'm fine with that, there's visual novels and even some more adult games on the service, so the tag is probably useful to a certain clique of folks out there.

I really don't give a crap about sexual orientation in my video games. I'd play a lesbian Cocker Spaniel if the game was any good. But for those who are interested in these themes, I really don't see an issue with adding an appropriate tag. Only makes finding and/or avoiding certain games easier.

And also Mount Your Friends is there. That’s the only decent game I see under that tag.

What, they haven't added Genital Jousting yet?

sol_bad

eh
I'm fine with it. If a game is centred around an LGBT theme I am less likely to care about it.
Does that make me a bad person?

sevoro

This is good for VN's and plot heavy games, I don't see how this appeals to SJW's or why anti-SJW's are getting.

eh
I'm fine with it. If a game is centred around an LGBT theme I am less likely to care about it.
Does that make me a bad person?
No. Makes you normal.

RedVIper

Banned
So is there really no way to look for regular visual novels? To my knowledge steam doesn't let you filter out tags.

Go to preferences and you can add excluded tags.

I'm ok with this, I think "straight" tag and "male protagonist" tag should be added, more so the latter.

Why does everything seem to be getting so geared towards this nonsense that it's on the verge or has effectively turned people who were traditionally not; into homo/transphobic?

I'm quite tolerant but tolerance has its limits, they're pushing these things so hard in violation of representative mindshare that it's becoming instinct to push back. I'm beginning to legitimately hate something I was previously completely indifferent to.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
No more surprise dicks and balls shoved in my face. What a relief.
I guess we can't have fun anymore.

Why does everything seem to be getting so geared towards this nonsense that it's on the verge or has effectively turned people who were traditionally not; into homo/transphobic?

I'm quite tolerant but tolerance has its limits, they're pushing these things so hard in violation of representative mindshare that it's becoming instinct to push back. I'm beginning to legitimately hate something I was previously completely indifferent to.
Yep, tolerance of any form has its limits. This just want more virtue singling, and it is pride month so Steam wants more customers so they'll get them by catering to the LGBT market. It's all about money really.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
To be fair, I’ve seen a lot of random games that could be described as “gay focused” (not through any intentional searching on my part).

It doesn’t necessarily strike me as virtue signaling that they are getting a tag.

Garnox

Meh. Makes little to no difference to me honestly.

I’m an advocate of picking ones battles. I feel this isn’t a battle worth picking.

sol_bad

I see The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories is tagged as LGBT, as far as I know it's a platformer game where you commit self harm and suicide to solve environmental puzzles. lol

Good, I love classic platformers and third person shooters what type of games do you play?
I'm into LGBTQ+ games (I guess TLoU would be counted in there, if there was a Steam release, or is it not inclusive enough?)

Redstarwater

Neophyte
No one assumes that game genres are straight by default so having to tag which ones are gay makes no sense. You have to add a straight genre by their own defining.

But really in the end this is all virtue signaling.

Top Bottom