• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - The Master Chief Collection Is What Happens When A Studio Doesn’t Give Up On A Game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://kotaku.com/the-master-chief-collection-is-what-happens-when-a-stud-1831925439

Master Chief Collection never made a triumphant return, but it is a far better game than when it launched. In the four years since it debuted it’s become one of the better examples of how it’s never too late to get things right. Microsoft could have simply abandoned it in favor of people playing the old games through the Xbox One’s backwards compatibility program but didn’t. The collection is now arguably worth owning an Xbox One for, assuming you like Halo of course, and is now the basis for a series of big Halo 3 throwback tournaments taking place throughout 2019. It was a long time coming.

Master Chief Collection launched back in November 2014. It had been two years since Halo 4, the first numbered game after 343 Industries inherited the series from Bungie, and one year since the launch of the Xbox One. The collection was Microsoft’s effort to take the legacy of the old games and neatly package it for a new console generation so that classic Halo multiplayer could live on throughout the 2010s. There was just one problem. The collection’s online component was broken.

On launch day, Kotaku’s then deputy editor, Tina Amini, tried to play a match of Capture the Flag but was instead greeted by a nearly 30 minute wait during matchmaking. Other players reported similar wait times as well going entire matches with incomplete teams on both sides. 343 Industries acknowledged the initial problems, and promised things would get better, but the issues persisted, compounded by weird bugs and occasional crashes. Two weeks later things were still a mess. By the following month, 343 Industries was still trying to address these issues with subsequent issues. Matchmaking times improved on average but not for everyone, and once matches completed the game seemed intent on always breaking existing parties apart and sending everyone back to a new queue.

By mid-December 343 Industries head Bonnie Ross was calling the experience “humbling” in a letter to fans. She thanked them for sticking with the game up to that point, and promised players one free month of Xbox Live Gold, an exclusive in-game nameplate and avatar, and future content, like new maps and eventually the Halo 3: ODST campaign, as free updates. But the game was far from turning a corner on the multiplayer front. In late January of 2015, 343 Industries announced players could sign-up to beta test the game’s next update aimed at solving its wonky multiplayer. In terms of sound, music, and visuals, Master Chief Collection was arguably the definitive repository for the old Halo single-player campaigns, but as a platform for reviving the series’ classic multiplayer, it was a bust.

Even though that portion of the game moderately improved over the first 100 days, it was still in an unacceptable state. Parties would still disband at times for seemingly no reason and hits would occasionally not register in Halo 1 and 2 matches, in addition to general connectivity problems worse than most other online games. 343 Industries inability to right the ship in a reasonable time frame led plenty of people, including diehard Halo fans, to write the collection off as just the latest in a growing trend of games launching before they should.

Still, 343 Industries kept working on the collection. Even though it wasn’t really a game-as-a-service like Destiny or The Division, with regular updates, Microsoft still treated it like one. Major updates came in March, April, and May of 2015, continuing to reduce matchmaking times, rooting out bugs that caused some players to deal extra damage and others to deal none at all, and increasing the accuracy of matchmaking based on skill so teams were less lopsided.

Spurred on by the launch of the Xbox One X, 343 Industries announced in the fall of 2017 that it was going to really clean house on Master Chief Collection’s multiplayer architecture, helped in part by an extensive beta program starting in the beginning of 2018. In effect, rather than putting more bandaids on the game, the studio was going to rebuild its online portion through big updates to the game’s underlying engine. It was finally implemented in the game in the summer of 2018 in a whopping 73 GB update after months of quiet, unrushed play testing. It worked. No more dropped matches. No more obnoxious queue times. No more weird breakdowns or glitches when trying to go from a multiplayer match in one Halo to a matchmaking in a playlist in another.

Microsoft added The Master Chief collection to its subscription download service Game Pass last September.

We see studios collapse, games launch and fail, or get canceled altogether, a lot. It can still be surprising when, without much fanfare or hype, one of them gets resurrected from the dead and turned into what everyone always hoped it would be.

343 Industries is still tinkering around with and improving Halo: MCC, the latest fruits of which arrived in the game’s January update earlier this week. More aim options, additional skulls for the single-player campaigns, and a freshening up of some of the match playlists. At this point it’s hard to think of any other shooter series as pivotal as Halo that’s been preserved an revitalized in the same way. Hopefully it doesn’t stay that way for long.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
That's nice and all but when will Halo finally get bots to play against? Even N64 games had them so the hardware excuse isn't there. The closest thing is that Firefight mode but that's not what I'm looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

db1416

Was great until they removed grifball as a stand-alone playlist. Obviously still fantastic that they’re still working on and improving the game but come on, grifball needs it’s own play list.

BigBooper

Not that I'm complaining about them fixing it, and it was an incredibly ambitious project to begin with, but it's very weird to praise a company for not abandoning a product they sold that didn't work right for years.

The writer could have just put out a PSA article that it was a very good game package now rather than acting like it was an artifact that the developer just stumbled across and managed to get working.

Hobbesian

Banned
Correction: "Master Chief Collection is What Happens When a Studio Can Actually Afford To Not Afford To Give Up On A Game."

Last edited:
Do all games included in MCC run at native 4K on X?

Pretty sure Halo 4 drops at certain points (as does Halo 2 Anniversary which I don't believe is ever native 4k).

They look incredibly sharp with almost pinpoint fine edges though. These games really were among the best aging of the Xbox and 360 eras--I wouldn't worry about any of them being non-native. If that's your hesitation on picking the game up on the Xbox One X, I wouldn't, just an opinion.

dottme

The actual title should be The Master Chief Collection when a studio don’t give a shit of the game they released and realized the backslash can have an awful impact on the franchise.
You shouldn’t have to fix a broken game after release.

Iorv3th

It's a weird title. Because You could also say "The Master Cheif Collection is what happens when a publisher pushes out an unfinished and broken game".

Game should have never came out in the state it was in. It has taken them over 4 years to get to this point. We shouldn't really be 'celebrating' this.

sol_bad

Another bullshit article by Kotaku, 343 is certainly not worthy of praise for this. This culture of thanking companies for fixing their errors needs to stop. Fully realised and functional games should be released to market or at least market as "early access" or "beta" at a lower price.

No Mans Sky should not have happened.
Street Fighter 5 should not have happened.
Ark should not have happened.
Sea of Thieves should not have happened.
Fallout 76 should not have happened.

It is becoming more and more common. I know these games all have their fans, if you love these games than all the power to you. You just need to stop and ask yourself, if you keep paying and accept these games, how long until we are paying $60USD for an alpha build of a game. I seriously would not put it past some of these developers. Except they make it sound all pretty, "we want you front and centre of our game development, we want you to help make decisions".
What better way to budget for a game than to have the fans pay directly for it?

We sit here complaining about MTX but let these incomplete games roll through. And we let them roll through due to the hype train. We need to stop feeding the hype train and stop pre-ordering shit. Now I know if everyone stopped pre-ordering a company like Hello Games may have had to shut shop due to no one purchasing their game due to bad reviews. That would be unfortunate but it would also be a tough life lesson, a lesson to show that we won't put up with this shit.

Koopatrol

Yeah, it's great that they fixed it, but hardly worthy of praise. The fact of the matter is that they put out a broken game and it shouldn't have been released when it was. I never had an Xbox before but was always interested in Halo, so I decided to pick up an Xbox One and Halo MCC around the time it came out... pretty bad mistake lol.

Pallas

Gold Member
I think it’s a rare occurance that they did fix it after so long after release, it’s not so much praise worthy as it is surprising that a dev team would work on fixing something for so long and it wasn’t even the bare minimals.

Say what you will, but you won’t see many big time developers and publishers working to fix a broken game. Bethesda immediately comes to mind.

I’m not praising them though but it’s something you’d like to see more often, since we always seem to get incomplete and broken games lately that developers push day 1 patches to try and fix it but often times it only fixes the really major issues, if even that.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I wonder if Sonic 2006 could be a better game with efforts like this
As usual the fans have to take care of things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akuza89

Let's be honest here at the beginning they didn't take much care at all, they literally just did a drag and drop on all the files and expected it to work out of the box.

I'm glad they keep working at it, but I haven't touched halo in a long time....

Last edited:

Diddy X

I just finished halo CE yesterday and started Halo 2, which btw looks incredible. The only problem I had so far is that they didn't respect the original games' geometry so I sometimes end up shooting invisible walls which is, yeah, pretty lame but otherwise the remasters are great so far.

Last edited:
Fuck that. They denied a refund for my purchase because they said a fix was coming.
That fix didn't arrive until several years later and now Kotaku is praising them for it? What a joke.

Fbh

It's cool that they took the time to fix it and all and it's obviously the preferable alternative to just leaving it broken.
But it's a weird article that makes 343i seem like such good guys when, you know, the game shouldn't have been released in a broken state to begin with.

Also, I haven't been following this game closely so I might be wrong but that article makes it sound like it took years for the game to reach the state it should have been in at launch

ZeroGravity

Four years to fix a broken game they never should have released in its initial state. They deserve zero commendations for what they've done.

MDSLKTR

Best value in gaming after the orange box.... And I didn't even pay for it. Can't understate how good H2A looks and plays, Halo 3 sound mix needs fixing though.

Calibos

Good job 343. This game collection didn't deserve to be left rotting in the past...too bad that gamers can't let the past be the past and enjoy the present.

Codes 208

They gave up for years. And then after Halo 5 lost it’s fizzle it’s like they remembered MCC even existed.

It works now, but the damage is done and the game will never have the population or highly praised reputation it could’ve had.

Good job 343. This game collection didn't deserve to be left rotting in the past...too bad that gamers can't let the past be the past and enjoy the present.

I tried to enjoy the present when the game launched and for years after that. I'm not going to ignore that they took four years to get the game to the state it should have launched at. This was one of the games I bought the Xbone for and I bet I'm not alone in that. That they left a game this important to rot for so long before getting back to it is something 343's leadership should be held accountable for.

Last edited:

Calibos

I tried to enjoy the present when the game launched and for years after that. I'm not going to ignore that they took four years to get the game to the state it should have launched at. This was one of the games I bought the Xbone for and I bet I'm not alone in that. That they left a game this important to rot for so long before getting back to it is something 343's leadership should be held accountable for.

Seems like you and many others are doing a fine job of that. To what end though? How long is the statute of limitations on grudges? Jaded for life over a botched game launch that is now fixed? It was already a nostalgia collection...what's the difference if it's then or now?...still the same value.

More power to you I guess.

The Alien

Banned
Good job Microsoft to stay on it and get it back in shape.

Hopefully lessons learned though. But honestly, dont rush out the crown jewel franchise in shitty condition then u won't have to spend 3-4 years fixing the game and your reputation.

Isnt that right, Bethesda?

Vawn

Banned
MCC is what happens when a flagship title is released completely broken, ignored for years and then finally revisited once nobody no longer cared.

YoshiMax

Played some of this last night. Holy shit I enjoyed it at launch warts and all but it’s on a completely different plane now. Incredible. If you were ever a Halo fan I’d seriously say it’s worth owning an X1 of whatever flavour just for this.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Why are we applauding MS for releasing a broken game and fixing it years after release? MS must be throwing that money around the web recently.

Fox Mulder

They shouldn't be praised for fixing a game years later they originally sold for $60.

Halo is the Xbox and they couldn't have given up on it. I don't even have an Xbox anymore, but hear they've done very well building on it in addition to just fixing it.

343 killed the franchise for me with halo 4 disappointing, the shit MCC launch, and halo 5 dumping split screen coop. I'd still be interested in going back to play the MCC now if I get another Xbox at some point.

Played some of this last night. Holy shit I enjoyed it at launch warts and all but it’s on a completely different plane now. Incredible. If you were ever a Halo fan I’d seriously say it’s worth owning an X1 of whatever flavour just for this.

Agreed. Halo being one of my favourite franchises I got one during this past boxing week because I’ve been waiting for it to come to PC to no avail. Having installed MCC for the first time since 2014 it’s glorious seeing it so sharp and even with HDR

For me, it didn't matter how long TMCC took to get right as long as 343 did get it right in the end, and holy shit they got it right. Totally worth the wait. If you love classic halo, go. play. this. game. I mean it's a collection of older games. I'm not sure why the delay would make someone lose interest unless they weren't ever interested to start with. Since 343 finally got it right, TMCC will be played for years and years to come, which is pretty cool.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Give up on a game?

Anyone else find this hilarious? They’re ports and remasters.

It’s like minimum effort failure.

Seems like you and many others are doing a fine job of that. To what end though? How long is the statute of limitations on grudges? Jaded for life over a botched game launch that is now fixed? It was already a nostalgia collection...what's the difference if it's then or now?...still the same value.

Seems like you and many others are doing a fine job of giving 343 a free pass for releasing a broken game and taking years to bother fixing it. To what end though? Shouldn't a developer's history be kept in mind when considering your trust in them in the present? They haven't exactly handled the franchise well since then either so have no reason to praise them for doing what they should have focused on doing years ago. You call it a grudge, I call it being reasonably suspect of their competency. Shouldn't I be concerned that after botching an important game for the platform and a beloved franchise they followed that up by taking years to bother fixing it? It was a nostalgia collection... one that people bought on launch day to play on launch day years ago. The value of the game they received then was not of the same value as it is today. Yet you think everyone should clap their hands and cheer because we only had to wait 4 years to have full use of the game we bought at launch. Is there a statute of limitations on how I view 343? Absolutely, it will expire when they show that they are capable handling the franchise properly, until then I'll keep scrutinizing them, and you can keep praising the bare minimum.

thelastword

Banned
If superman 64 and E. T. were dug up and made to be in a more playable state, would we praise those devs too after all those years....? Such perseverance Huh!

A new Halo game is coming, these guys need some good pr for that, so they want to be seen as good guys because it's very likely the next Halo will receive no puff reviews in light of 343i's past indiscretions....... If the next Halo game is not good, it will not be judged as lightly as the Mcc and Halo 5 and these devs and MS knows that.......

All of this is simply being done for good pr for Halo infinite and the dev team, sort of to remove the bad taste in journalist's mouths with respect to 343i.....or towards journalists who think their credibility will be questioned if they rate another broken game so highly..

bilderberg

I'm so sick of companies getting goodwill for fixing what's broken. I guarantee 6-12 months from now when Fallout 76 is in a playable state we'll be hearing the same thing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
bless microsoft for making it true 4k
the best collection yet on the xbox one x
i love it

FeldMonster

Seems like you and many others are doing a fine job of giving 343 a free pass for releasing a broken game and taking years to bother fixing it. To what end though? Shouldn't a developer's history be kept in mind when considering your trust in them in the present? They haven't exactly handled the franchise well since then either so have no reason to praise them for doing what they should have focused on doing years ago. You call it a grudge, I call it being reasonably suspect of their competency. Shouldn't I be concerned that after botching an important game for the platform and a beloved franchise they followed that up by taking years to bother fixing it? It was a nostalgia collection... one that people bought on launch day to play on launch day years ago. The value of the game they received then was not of the same value as it is today. Yet you think everyone should clap their hands and cheer because we only had to wait 4 years to have full use of the game we bought at launch. Is there a statute of limitations on how I view 343? Absolutely, it will expire when they show that they are capable handling the franchise properly, until then I'll keep scrutinizing them, and you can keep praising the bare minimum.

No one is giving them a free pass, just asking you to stop holding grudges and enjoy the game for what it is TODAY (which is magnificent). You are literally upset that the game is better now than in the past, what would rather them do in 2018/2019, nothing, and leave it unrepaired? Isn't a fixed game better than an eternally broken game? And don't respond with they shouldn't have released it in that state. Of course they shouldn't have, but it is not like they have a time machine. And honestly, the blame is on MS rather than 343. MS rushed the launch and then only funded the work needed to fix it when the X came out. This is not me being an apologist, this is the reality of business. Go out and play it, have fun.

Calibos

No one is giving them a free pass, or applauding what happened FIVE YEARS AGO. Whether it's a PR move or a goodwill move or both doesn't fucking matter. The game is in great shape now after they put a years worth of time and effort into it.

They were absolutely trashed for the MCC release and picked apart for Halo 5 because of that. Halo 5 is a damn good Halo game with a weaker campaign but fucking amazing multiplayer and has been supported hard for years.

I am just dumbfounded by people who won't play a game or come back to a game because they felt personally slighted in some way by a broken launch. Plenty of examples of people stomping their feet like babies over games that launched in a broken state. I just don't see why, when a dev fixes said games, they aren't allowed to recover from it. The game still has content and it doesn't expire...can't people enjoy it now?

Calibos

If superman 64 and E. T. were dug up and made to be in a more playable state, would we praise those devs too after all those years....? Such perseverance Huh!

A new Halo game is coming, these guys need some good pr for that, so they want to be seen as good guys because it's very likely the next Halo will receive no puff reviews in light of 343i's past indiscretions....... If the next Halo game is not good, it will not be judged as lightly as the Mcc and Halo 5 and these devs and MS knows that.......

All of this is simply being done for good pr for Halo infinite and the dev team, sort of to remove the bad taste in journalist's mouths with respect to 343i.....or towards journalists who think their credibility will be questioned if they rate another broken game so highly..

Resident Evil 2 was just dug up and remade to be one of the highest rated and best selling releases in the past year.

What you are saying about Halo and pr isn't wrong, but you saying it is just plain annoying. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Also, the MCC wasn't judged lightly at all as evidenced by these threads all over the net. Maybe critically, but do reviews really matter when it comes to Halo? the community dictates whether the game passes muster or not.

Why is a Sony super fan interested in this topic?

Naked Lunch

The wait was irrelevant for games that are timeless.
MCC is easily one of the best gaming packages of all time - and now its fixed. People will be playing this collection for decades.

Xenon

Biggest mistake with the MCC was trying to release with multiplayer support for all 4 games. If they had released HMCC with just the enanced H2 with mp support and sp for the other three games people would have been thrilled. Then offered to add mp support after release for the other games in time. Instead they went the insane route and tried to not only do all 4 games at once but link them in a single launcher...

Considering what other companies have passed off as remasters for $60, I'd say even at launch HMCC was a steal.

Last edited:
Biggest mistake with the MCC was trying to release with multiplayer support for all 4 games. If they had released HMCC with just the enanced H2 with mp support and sp for the other three games people would have been thrilled. Then offered to add mp support after release for the other games in time. Instead they went the insane route and tried to not only do all 4 games at once but link them in a single launcher...

Considering what other companies have passed off as remasters for $60, I'd say even at launch HMCC was a steal.
I like that 343 reached for the stars and tried to bring all 4 Halo games in one fell swoop, but starting with just H2 would have been safer. The last part of your post is what really confuses me when it comes to people's reactions. Yes, the multiplayer in TMCC was borked, and a lot of things like cooperative campaign had issues. Even still, the shear amount of single player content released in TMCC was, in my mind, totally worth $60. To each their own though.

I like this quote from Dan Ayoub though, regarding the team's emotions after TMCC released and had all of its problems:
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/xwqjg3/the-complete-untold-history-of-halo-an-oral-history (massive article, but I liked this particular part)
We were surprised by a few things, once the Collection was released. We found things happening in the real world that we didn’t see in testing: matchmaking problems, and a lot of user frustration. So you’ve got a very tired team coming off the project, surprised by what’s happening and, quite frankly, every person on that team was heartbroken. We had this mantra throughout the course of development of delighting the customer. We wanted people to see it and be like, “Oh my God, this is just a treasure trove of Halo.”

That was very dark time, personally. We needed to make it right, and we weren’t going to stop until we had. But it was really hard to live through.

Everyone likes to jump on 343's case as if they deliberately tried to ruin everything, which wasn' t the case at all. You're talking about devs who love the halo franchise and poured their hearts into something they were passionate about, but the narrative you get from angry gamers is that 343 is just a bunch d-bags who didn't care about what they made. Maybe they shouldn't be praised for finally fixing the game, but at least they fixed it. The easier alternative would have been to quietly let it die. And devs do that all the time with botched games. The recent trend we've seen with devs staying true to their word and fixing stuff, is encouraging.

Last edited:

Horns

MCC was a disaster at launch so I am glad they at least worked on improving it even if it took too long.

Kotaku puts out some really interesting articles. Glad to see they follow up on these stories years afterwards.

Top Bottom