• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kratos will have access to different shields in Ragnarok to open up 'loadouts'

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://mp1st.com/news/god-of-war-r...-to-open-up-how-gamers-handle-kratos-loadouts

In God of War 2018, Sony Santa Monica added a new weapon in Kratos’ arsenal in the Guardian Shield. Now, if you watched the gameplay reveal trailer for God of War Ragnarok, you might have noticed that Kratos seems to have a different shields in different areas of the video. Sony Santa Monica has confirmed that players will be able to use different shields in God of War Ragnarok.

Speaking to a video interview with YouTuber Jon Ford, God of War Ragnarok Eric Williams confirmed that the game will feature different shields, and the devs are doing this so that players can be more expressive in how they set up Kratos’ loadouts.

Yes, there are different shields, and they have different defensive options, and abilities, and the reason why we’re doing this is we really want to open up the expressive choice — the way that you build your Kratos — like the equipment, and loadout, and things like that. So all the way down to the defense, you can, you know, kind of play a little differently, and then enemies know how to respond to that, or force you into these different situations where you need to use different things. So I think it’ll be fun for players to explore that, but also, just kind of, like we want it to be more expressive where you know your choices matter when you set them up – Eric Williams, God of War Ragnarok Game Director

GHG

Gold Member
Equipment and levels are the worst part of last game. Do not belong in gow

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

this loadout talk sounds like they thought that loot system was actually good?

Creating builds and hunting down runes were some of the best parts of the game IMO. The "loot" isn't random either.

But then I played it on hard difficulty and didn't care much for previous GOW games in the series.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Creating builds and hunting down runes were some of the best parts of the game IMO. The "loot" isn't random either.

But then I played it on hard difficulty and didn't care much for previous GOW games in the series.
wrong?
Equipment and levels introduced nothing to the game.
All it did was to make Kratos appear weaker because I have low level bracelets.... like wtf. And suddenly you do no damage.
And You spend too much time comparing stats. I hate it. I dont want this in games... like in most of games.

There are no "BUILDS". It's not Dark Souls where you can expertly craft your character.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
wrong?
All it did was to make Kratos appear weaker because I have low level bracelets.... like wtf. And suddenly you do no damage.
And You spend too much time comparing stats. I hate it. I dont want this in games... like in most of games.

There are no "BUILDS". It's not Dark Souls where you can expertly craft your character.

There are definitely "builds" - they are gear based rather than stat based. Certain gear/rune/talisman combinations allow you to become as OP as you want to be provided you play to their strengths.

Plenty more across youtube and the internet if you do a search.

If you don't explore the areas and pick up new things as you go along then you'll have a bad time of it and will always feel weak. The whole point of the system is to give the feeling of becoming more powerful as you progress due to picking things up along the way. Hence there are certain optional battles that you have access to from the start (once things open up and you get to the lake) but won't be equipped to deal with yet.

Because of the way you progress in this game it feels completely different to the previous GOW games so I get that die hard fans of the old games might not like it, but as someone not invested in the old games (and thought the formula got very stale after GOW2), I loved it.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
There are definitely "builds" - they are gear based rather than stat based. Certain gear/rune/talisman combinations allow you to become as OP as you want to be provided you play to their strengths.

Plenty more across youtube and the internet if you do a search.

If you don't explore the areas and pick up new things as you go along then you'll have a bad time of it and will always feel weak. The whole point of the system is to give the feeling of becoming more powerful as you progress due to picking things up along the way. Hence there are certain optional battles that you have access to from the start (once things open up and you get to the lake) but won't be equipped to deal with yet.

Because of the way you progress in this game it feels completely different to the previous GOW games so I get that due hard fans of the old games might not like it, but as someone not invested in the old games (and thought the formula got very stale after GOW2), I loved it.

Then it was poorly executed. I finished the game and barely had good equipment for linear progress.
If the additional gear is just for looks? great
But if I have to grind for hours to get better gear and it was not even introduced well? not for me.
It is a story action game. I want to go forward

GHG

Gold Member
Then it was poorly executed. I finished the game and barely had good equipment for linear progress.
But if I have to grind for hours to get better gear and it was not even introduced well? not for me.

You don't have to grind for anything. All the gear you need is accessed through exploration, side quests (like the treasure maps) and a handful of light environmental puzzles.

If you just beeline the main quest and treat it as if it's a linear game then you will miss all the good shit.

rofif

Banned
You don't have to grind for anything. All the gear you need is accessed through exploration, side quests (like the treasure maps) and a handful of light environmental puzzles.

If you just beeline the main quest and treat it as if it's a linear game then you will miss all the good shit.
I feel like I explored the shit out of this game. I just did not fought Valkyries because I did not liked it.
Only stat I looked at with the gear was the level. No matter what it is, I needed higher level.

GHG

Gold Member
I feel like I explored the shit out of this game. I just did not fought Valkyries because I did not liked it.
Only stat I looked at with the gear was the level. No matter what it is, I needed higher level.

I mean... If you only looked at the level and nothing else then you'll miss all the potential synergies. Some of the gear even tells you what to equip/use it with in the item description.

With the correct setups you can melt the valkyries.

Keihart

To be fair, the only grind on the game is if you die too much trying to clear something specific.
And yeah, runes and shit are like the fun part of the customization honestly, most stats are like whatever.

Last edited:

skit_data

I like this, hopefully the shields will have different characteristics and abilities that make character customization more interesting.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Why they get their games more and more Ubisoftian as time goes by? As a potential customer (PC) is annoying to see Sony go in that direction.
Just release a GOW legacy compilation and call it a day. I want character action Kratos back.

GHG

Gold Member
Why they get their games more and more Ubisoftian as time goes by? As a potential customer (PC) is annoying to see Sony go in that direction.
Just release a GOW legacy compilation and call it a day. I want character action Kratos back.

If you want to play the old games you already can on PC and they polish up very well.

Also the game is nothing like a ubisoft game, it's more like a metroidvania in terms of structure if you must draw a comparison to anything.

Batiman

Banned
I wish I could assign more powers to buttons. There were so many different powers but the game limited you by only allowing a couple equipped at once. Different combat variety was there but locked behind a menu. That was my biggest and one of my only complaints.

I beat the game without giving all the moves a try because of it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
wrong?

This is simply not true. There are plenty of builds in the game that are tailored around armor sets. Every armor set has a specfic bonus:

- Zeus armor set: increase damage by 10x but also increase damage taken by 10x.
- Valkryie armor set: increase runic damage and adds several perks that refresh your runic attacks on kills
- ares armor set: based around luck stats

and so on. a lot of the side quests award you with different armor sets and each armor set has up to 4 slots to put in perks that drastically change your play style.

for example, there is a talisman that can be converted into a perk if you level it up which means on perfect dodges, you can activate slow mo. you can also use similar perks to extend the time of your runic attacks.

it's different from dark souls, but the idea is the same. they give you the tools and let you craft your build.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I want customisable difficulty so you can set enemy aggression super high, damage from enemies to high, but damage from Kratos to high as well so you don't have spongey enemies. I've no issue with really aggressive baddies and high incoming damage but just fuck off with these giant health pools, thats so fucking boring to me.

Psychonauts 2 is like that and its wank unless you use the glass cannon badge. Before I could afford that badge I just used the submental difficulty to make it not a massive chore. I can't believe people said the combat was good in Psychonauts 2, I'd like them to send what they were smoking to my PO Box so I can sample it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I want customisable difficulty so you can set enemy aggression super high, damage from enemies to high, but damage from Kratos to high as well so you don't have spongey enemies. I've no issue with really aggressive baddies and high incoming damage but just fuck off with these giant health pools, thats so fucking boring to me.

I never had trouble with spongy enemies in this game. This is on GMGOW on NG+ where they all get more health.

Reactions: GHG

Kuranghi

I never had trouble with spongy enemies in this game. This is on GMGOW on NG+ where they all get more health.

Fair enough, I was only 8 hours in so maybe (I'm slow so thats prob like 4-6h for most people) I needed to progress a bit more to get to that level. I'm starting on PS5 soon(ish).

GHG

Gold Member
Fair enough, I was only 8 hours in so maybe (I'm slow so thats prob like 4-6h for most people) I needed to progress a bit more to get to that level. I'm starting on PS5 soon(ish).

If you find an encounter to be "spongy" then this is your checklist other than "git gud" :

• Look closely at the gear/runes/talismans you have. If you can create a combination that you think might help you then do it. Look for synergies, experiment with different things, don't just spam basic/light attack/block/dodge, there's a lot more depth to the combat than that.
  • If you've tried everything you have then you likely just need to come back later once you've found some better stuff. You can run into some side stuff pretty early on that is designed around mid/late game builds.

YukiOnna

Equipment and levels are the worst part of last game. Do not belong in gow
Probably one of the best additions for me. I found the original GOW too stale and equipment was definitely helpful for overpowering stronger enemies- even more so on my current 2nd playthrough.

Top Bottom