• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kratos will have access to different shields in Ragnarok to open up 'loadouts'

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Playing this right now. This is how I feel. Matter of fact, currently I have to motivate myself to play this game. Im forcing it and can only play like 20 mins at a time before I switch it for another game.
I just switched to easy to have more "godly" experience. I don't really felt I need to play this game for a challange.
tbh, it was pretty difficult even on easy later on.
That way or another. It's a great game

iHaunter

I totally skipped the lava area after I entered it and it was bs :p
Maybe I need to replay this game.. 4k60 on ps5 is enticing. But I need my controller replaced first
That area is a pain in the ass once you get to later trial for sure. I liked how the Lava set looked even though Valk one is better.

Yoboman

Equipment and levels are the worst part of last game. Do not belong in gow
Levels have always been in GOW games though

It was one of the last things they added to the game though so Cory mentioned it quite a bit as something not to the standard he wanted it

Yoboman

What was so great about the combat? It felt like a step back from GOW3 and even further behind the really good action games. I assume this is part of why they are talking about expanding your combat options.
There is a far better cadence to the fighting between offence, defence, melee and support options and GOW 2018 does a far better job of you needing to use your whole bag of tricks to get through fights. Nothing in GOW3 comes close to a Valkyrie fight

sendit

I feel like I explored the shit out of this game. I just did not fought Valkyries because I did not liked it.
Only stat I looked at with the gear was the level. No matter what it is, I needed higher level.
walker texas ranger chuck GIF by GritTV

Amiga

What was so great about the combat? It felt like a step back from GOW3 and even further behind the really good action games. I assume this is part of why they are talking about expanding your combat options.
Step back? it's a whole different system. It's not the button mashing DMC clone combat. it maybe a bit slower but more tactical. it would fit great in a WRPG.

NT80

There is a far better cadence to the fighting between offence, defence, melee and support options and GOW 2018 does a far better job of you needing to use your whole bag of tricks to get through fights. Nothing in GOW3 comes close to a Valkyrie fight
The Valkyrie fights were good but the rest of it wasn't that interesting. The bosses weren't good the enemies and weapons were limited and I rarely felt pushed to do much beyond the basics despite playing on hard mode. It also lacked the satisfying brutality the series had.

MistBreeze

good thing

I feel like this game needs more weapons if there is 4 weapons in total it will be a great game provided these weapon have great mechanics and varied

beating a boss in gow3 and taking his weapon after defeating him was one of the best things about it

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
I want customisable difficulty so you can set enemy aggression super high, damage from enemies to high, but damage from Kratos to high as well so you don't have spongey enemies. I've no issue with really aggressive baddies and high incoming damage but just fuck off with these giant health pools, thats so fucking boring to me.

Psychonauts 2 is like that and its wank unless you use the glass cannon badge. Before I could afford that badge I just used the submental difficulty to make it not a massive chore. I can't believe people said the combat was good in Psychonauts 2, I'd like them to send what they were smoking to my PO Box so I can sample it.
I want sausage with eggs right after I wake up.

Kuranghi

I want sausage with eggs right after I wake up.

Seems like it could be a thing in the sequels since many modern games have started to have that level of difficulty customisation, like Guardians of the Galaxy which was superb in that regard, really made me enjoy the game more without having to resort to trainers.

Last edited:
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Creating builds and hunting down runes were some of the best parts of the game IMO. The "loot" isn't random either.

But then I played it on hard difficulty and didn't care much for previous GOW games in the series.
They did the loot system perfectly and it added a ton to the game. It gave motivation to do lots of side quests. Yeah, if you're playing on easy difficulty I could see not liking it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That’s fine and dandy, but give me real build options.
Not level gating nonsense, where a Level 7 standard enemy kills me in two hits because I’m a level 5.

I’m supposed to be a God right?

Last edited:
That’s fine and dandy, but give me real build options.
Not level gating nonsense, where a Level 7 standard enemy kills me in two hits because I’m a level 5.

I’m supposed to be a God right?
But you have 3 or 4 options when that happens:
  • change/upgrade your equipment
  • come up with a better plan of attack
  • learn the attack patters of the enemies
  • or come back later

Aaron Olive

There are definitely "builds" - they are gear based rather than stat based. Certain gear/rune/talisman combinations allow you to become as OP as you want to be provided you play to their strengths.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Plenty more across youtube and the internet if you do a search.

If you don't explore the areas and pick up new things as you go along then you'll have a bad time of it and will always feel weak. The whole point of the system is to give the feeling of becoming more powerful as you progress due to picking things up along the way. Hence there are certain optional battles that you have access to from the start (once things open up and you get to the lake) but won't be equipped to deal with yet.

Because of the way you progress in this game it feels completely different to the previous GOW games so I get that die hard fans of the old games might not like it, but as someone not invested in the old games (and thought the formula got very stale after GOW2), I loved it.

Spoken like a true player, Worthy of having the platinum for this myself and enjoyed every moment of it.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Three

Cool, the shield having only "skins" was kind of a tease last time.

Yeah it was obvious that they would expand there. I could be remembering wrong but I think sets of them had some special attribute too.

Edit: Oh damn sorry, didn't realise this is an old bumped thread.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I love God of war and for some reason I thoroughly enjoyed grinding that green area with the walls and poison piss to get the legendary armour.

In fact I thought everything was perfect in gow 2018 apart from enemy variety and bosses, everything else was awesome.

Shubh_C63

Nothing wrong with a basic tacked on RPG elements which doesn't distracts from the main pacing.

Infact if RPG elements were deep I would had a problem. This is A-Ok right now.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
But you have 3 or 4 options when that happens:
  • change/upgrade your equipment
  • come up with a better plan of attack
  • learn the attack patters of the enemies
  • or come back later

Even knowing attack patterns of enemies matters little when it’s a two on one, and just getting grazed by an enemy will take you down.
The camera being pulled in so ridiculously far hurts combat considerably. It feels far more plodding, then the speedy combat of the older titles where you could keep track of everything around you.

Not much point in changing my equipment when I’m wearing the best I have available. Upgrading…why should I have to spend my resources upgrading an uncommon armor, when I know I can spend that on better Epic/Legendary armor I’ll find later.

This is no different then Assassin’s Creed Origins/Odyssey. The only difference is even at lower levels you still have a fighting chance at killing enemies three levels above you in the AC games.

I get that they’re trying to add some new wrinkles to God of War, but RPG mechanics aren’t always the solution. Level based everything sucks and results in level gating. That level gating also hinders exploration, as I’m now running into a brick wall when I’m trying to explore because I’m not a high enough level.

The little resurrection stones they sell almost seem like an acknowledgment that the system’s busted, and you’re going to get screwed over at times. So here’s a second chance at avoiding a cheap death due to leveling imbalance.

I really like God of War, but I’m not a fan of leveling.

Valt7786

Those asking for new weapons, agreed. I 100% see us getting Mjolnir, maybe Gungnir Spear as well? Those are the only 2 "famous" norse weapons that I know of though, I'm sure there's more that could be a possibility.

I need at least 2 new weapons tho.
Those asking for new weapons, agreed. I 100% see us getting Mjolnir, maybe Gungnir Spear as well? Those are the only 2 "famous" norse weapons that I know of though, I'm sure there's more that could be a possibility.

What if we get to play as Tear and he has a completely different moveset?!

Surtu fire sword is another famous norse weapon

Last edited:

bbeach123

The only reason I ever played GOW 2018 at all is because it have gears , level , ability and build .

Same with the latest AC trilogy .

And yes I didnt play the first gow and AC trilogy for the same reason .

Maybe I'm part of the problem . But sales numbers doesnt lie .

Last edited:

Hugare

The whole point of the system is to give the feeling of becoming more powerful as you progress due to picking things up along the way. Hence there are certain optional battles that you have access to from the start (once things open up and you get to the lake) but won't be equipped to deal with yet.
To think that Kratos needs to pick random equipment from some fallen soldier in order to become more powerful to fight some draugs or whatever is laughable

Dude killed the whole Olympus without a shirt or pants

I understand why they put these equipments and etc. in GOW 18, but it doesnt fit the character. Kratos is already OP, so it's jarring.

Pagusas

Elden Member
cool. systems like this actually make me want to play the game. The old GoW games were the most boring and repetitive titles ever made, anything they do to distance themselves from that will draw me in to play this new series.

Top Bottom