• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ladies and gentlemen, I saw something over the last 48 hours that hasn't happened yet this (next) gen...

No it hasn't. It's easier to get than the XSX or the PS5 but they still sell out all the time. And you literally cannot buy one for retail on Ebay, why even make up something that is so easily debunked? Scalpers have been selling a ton of them.

No, they haven't. Scalpers don't touch them. Cashout buyers don't even have offers out for them. I see now that you would have to pay $350 or so for one on ebay. That's recent. A month ago, you could buy them for retail there.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Series S consoles have been in stock on Amazon since January. It’s not the mass market device MS thought it would be and in the UK it’s cheaper than a new Xbox One X and not far off a standard Xbox One…

Both Amazon UK and Argos sold out over the last two weeks, they got restocked on the 24th.

RafterXL

No, they haven't. Scalpers don't touch them. Cashout buyers don't even have offers out for them. I see now that you would have to pay $350 or so for one on ebay. That's recent. A month ago, you could buy them for retail there.
So all of those over MSRP auctions on Ebay with sellers having hundreds of sales aren't scalpers and they don't actually exist?

And earlier this year the things were AVERAGING around $450 a sale. That's not scalpers?

So all of those over MSRP auctions on Ebay with sellers having hundreds of sales aren't scalpers and they don't actually exist?

And earlier this year the things were AVERAGING around $450 a sale. That's not scalpers?

Yeah, those Verge numbers are bullshit. And all of those sellers currently selling over MSRP...they've raised their prices on those listings recently. Do you know what a cashout buyer for scalpers is? Go find a single one who has listed a cashout price for Xbox Series S. They don't exist. PS5, Series X, OLED Switches...they buy PS4s, FFS. Go back just a week or two through the sold listings and you will see tons of them being sold for $330-375. Those might be wannabe "scalpers" selling a unit or two, but they're not your typical scalper who buys up all of the other consoles. Even selling the S at 400 with free shipping would be a complete waste of time after fees, shipping, sales tax, etc. Those are inexperienced sellers who are breaking even or losing money on those.

The most I'll grant here is that the Xbox Series S has recently gotten too difficult to find at retail for people who aren't used to chasing in demand items. I'd be willing to bet that I can still purchase twenty inside of a week at retail without leaving my house, though.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Well, it's a 500 dollar console. It's a lot of money for a Christmas present for a kid.

It is expensive. My son got a PS5 this year for Christmas (£450), but there were certain criteria he had to meet to get that.

Not only has he been excelling at school, but his homework has been completed on time (takes priority over game time), he became capitan of the school football (soccer) and rugby team, plus has really impressed with his role for his Sunday League team, getting a number of man of the match awards and being the coach has singled him out as a role model for others to follow. He also helps put around the house without question.

He wants a PS5, but isn't expecting one for Christmas because he knows how expensive they are. However, this year I've seen him grow and make huge personal improvements. I couldn't be prouder of him and think this year, he deserves a something a little special.

You know you can alert your credit card company to an upcoming large purchase to avoid that, right?
500$ is not a big spending spree.
Crypto Nova GIF by Supernova Token

RafterXL

Yeah, those Verge numbers are bullshit. And all of those sellers currently selling over MSRP...they've raised their prices on those listings recently. Do you know what a cashout buyer for scalpers is? Go find a single one who has listed a cashout price for Xbox Series S. They don't exist. PS5, Series X, OLED Switches...they buy PS4s, FFS. Go back just a week or two through the sold listings and you will see tons of them being sold for $330-375. Those might be wannabe "scalpers" selling a unit or two, but they're not your typical scalper who buys up all of the other consoles. Even selling the S at 400 with free shipping would be a complete waste of time after fees, shipping, sales tax, etc. Those are inexperienced sellers who are breaking even or losing money on those.

The most I'll grant here is that the Xbox Series S has recently gotten too difficult to find at retail for people who aren't used to chasing in demand items. I'd be willing to bet that I can still purchase twenty inside of a week at retail without leaving my house, though.
You're an idiot. That Verge article is one of many from people who scrubbed Ebay listings and sales and ALL of them say the same thing. Their figures are correct, you just don't want to admit you were wrong.

Another article, even has the data scraping source code. Median price early this year, $460 on Ebay, $416 on stockX:

Gtfo.

You're an idiot. That Verge article is one of many from people who scrubbed Ebay listings and sales and ALL of them say the same thing. Their figures are correct, you just don't want to admit you were wrong.

Another article, even has the data scraping source code. Median price early this year, $460 on Ebay, $416 on stockX:

Gtfo.

I'm not wrong. You have no idea what you're talking about. Nobody scalps the fucking Series S, period.

cashout.png

I'll post prices from a half dozen more, if you'd like.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I just wanted to give you guys an update on the situation. My 14 year old has been quarantined for the last 48 hours because he came into close contact with someone that was diagnosed with COVID. My son hasn't shown any symptoms, and since he's shacked up with me for the next week or so...I gave him his Christmas present yesterday AND HE HAS BEEN PLAYING IT NON-STOP. So, yeah, a professed Sony diehard pulled an all-nighter on the Series S and has not gone to sleep yet.

My son:
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Trogdor1123

I just wanted to give you guys an update on the situation. My 14 year old has been quarantined for the last 48 hours because he came into close contact with someone that was diagnosed with COVID. My son hasn't shown any symptoms, and since he's shacked up with me for the next week or so...I gave him his Christmas present yesterday AND HE HAS BEEN PLAYING IT NON-STOP. So, yeah, a professed Sony diehard pulled an all-nighter on the Series S and has not gone to sleep yet.

My son:
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
I have a ps5 and a series s. Both are fantastic machines and get lots of use in the house. People talking about how the s is garbage are just being pretentious. Enjoy it!

Top Bottom