• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady who released live crickets & worms on NYC subway riders claims it was an "prank"

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://fusion.net/story/341360/that...-on-an-nyc-subway-now-says-it-was-all-an-act/

It was one of those things that made even the most jaded New Yorker squirm: Hundreds of insects—a mini-plague—let loose in the middle of a crowded subway car by a woman reportedly trying to sell the bugs.

But Fusion has learned from the woman herself that the entire bizarre episode was apparently completely staged.

According to the New York Post, the strange incident took place on the D train at around 6PM on August 24, when a woman, reportedly trying to sell both live crickets and worms, was jostled by a group of teenagers, and proceeded to have a complete meltdown, during which the insects were released into the subway car. Part of the incident was caught on Instagram:

What followed, one straphanger told the Post, was “pandemonium.”

In the chaos following the biblical-bug bomb, the subway car’s emergency brakes were reportedly engaged, leaving the train motionless, without air conditioning, and full of bugs. At some point in all this, the woman who released the bugs proceeded to urinate on the floor, prompting passengers to take a page from the bugs’ book, and swarm to the other end of the subway car.

After approximately half an hour, the train began moving again. Upon reaching its next stop, the original insect owner was removed from the train by emergency services.

But that’s not the end of the story.

On Friday, an 18 minute video began circulating on Facebook, which depicted the entire incident—including the moment when the insects were released, first by the woman, then by another passenger who hits the container of bugs out of her hand. Unlike the blurry Instagram footage, this video is clear, and contains shots from multiple angles. It’s the sort of video which gives the impression that maybe this wasn’t such a spontaneous event, after all.

Intrigued, we called Zaida Pugh, the woman who posted the video, to find out where the footage came from. After speaking for some time, Pugh admitted finally “‘It was a prank, I’m an actress. That was me.”

The entire episode, she said, was a performance art piece meant to highlight the way people with mental and emotional health issues are treated.

“I did this to show how people react to situations with homeless people and people with mental health,” Pugh explained. “How they’re more likely to pull out their phone than help.”

Pugh, 21, claims to have done over 50 similar “pranks.”

“I hate doing auditions, and I really like the reactions,” she explained. “I like it when it goes viral and people react and think.”

In fact, this is not Pugh’s first brush with viral fame. In 2015, she posted video of herself to (pretending to) stab a baby to death in order, the video claimed, for the child’s father to see. The footage was viewed over a million times, and yeah, it’s pretty horrible.

This women and her videographers should arrested for stuff like this'

Nobody signed up for this crap and releasing live animals and peeing on people just trying to get isn't funny thought provoking or anything, its disgusting and insane behavoir

This is the video of her stupid act https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bgR8SbC1U8&feature=youtu.be&a

norm9

In fact, this is not Pugh’s first brush with viral fame. In 2015, she posted video of herself to (pretending to) stab a baby to death in order, the video claimed, for the child’s father to see. The footage was viewed over a million times, and yeah, it’s pretty horrible.

What a prankster.

iPaul93

Man what the fuck's wrong with people?After watching the whole video,I don't think they should've beat her like that.

Buzzati

Banned
Look at how she's revelling in how hilarious she is around 9:50 when she's hams the act up talking about how modern medicine is a conspiracy. She's completely committed to the prank and has no concern that she might face any consequences of her actions.

I think the cricket thing is actually kind of hilarious. How she went about it was wrong though. Plus the baby thing is fucked up.

Dabanton

Oh this idiot. Iiirc she also did a 'prank' on a subway train where she pretended a guy she was seeing had given her aids.

Watched the vid. Woman's got severe mental issues hiding under the 'actress' facade.

She didn't throw them.Someone kicked the box out of her hands.

Dude's part of the act. Doesn't make sense for some random guy to just hit that bowl so hard out of her hands. Looked like he aiming at other people.

iPaul93

Watched the vid. Woman's got severe mental issues hiding under the 'actress' facade.

Dude's part of the act. Doesn't make sense for some random guy to just hit that bowl so hard out of her hands. Looked like he aiming at other people.

Well,he's the one that beat her afterwards,so I don't know.

Yen

maxresdefault.jpg
It's been done

hamchan

Wow at the reaction in that video though. Dude just whacks the bug container out of her hands and causes the chaos. Then some other dude grabs her and just punches the shit out of her.

Media

Even though it was fake...

If those two guys weren't in on it, they are fucking heroes.

And it took way, way too fucking long to get help for what should have been considered a medical emergency.

Lady is trash though for the 'prank'. So we're the guys that hit her (again, if they weren't in on it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom