• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

laist: Roscoe's House Of Chicken And Waffles Files For Bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles, the go-to soul food chain for Angelenos, has filed for bankruptcy. One of its biggest debts is owed to a former employee Daniel Beasley of Compton, who successfully sued the restaurant on Pico Boulevard for racial discrimination.

Officially it's Roscoe's parent company East Coast Foods Inc. that's filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, according to the Wall Street Journal. The company has incurred a more than manageable amount of debt and requires restructuring. The Chapter 11 filing gives the restaurant time to do just that, according to CBS2.

None of this necessarily means the restaurants are going to be closing. While Chapter 11 could translate into some restructuring for those who work for Roscoe’s, it’s very unlikely the chain’s seven restaurants scattered throughout Southern California will close down. Speaking from personal experience, Roscoe’s establishments are almost always packed—even late at night. Even President Obama drops in when he's in Los Angeles.

http://laist.com/2016/03/29/roscoes_house_of_chicken_and.php

Roscoe's is one of favorite places. Please don't close down.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yep. Hopefully bankruptcy lets them survive. Love me their chicken and waffles.

Lost a discrimination case? For discriminating against a black worker? Have they addressed the issue?

If not, IDGAF if they have to close.

Varna

Lost a discrimination case? For discriminating against a black worker? Have they addressed the issue?

Yeah. What the hell.

I went to the one in Long Beach a few years ago. The absolute worse dining experience I've ever had.

Speevy

Banned
Jackie-Brown-4.jpg

Funny thing is, I think this place might be black owned (or at least it was originally). Heard about this a while back, the people were (presumably) non black Hispanic.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to fix any discrimination issues. I'm glad the guy got paid considering he was made homeless for apparently wrongful termination, but it would still stink to see it close.

entremet

The kitchens at Roscoes are run by Hispanics, although owned by African American.

The winner of the case said he faced harassment and that other hispanic kitchen workers got preferential treatment.

Dan

Don't get me wrong, I want them to fix any discrimination issues. I'm glad the guy got paid considering he was made homeless for apparently wrongful termination, but it would still stink to see it close.
Indeed.

Hope the guy gets paid, but that people don't lose their jobs.

Place is overrated as fuck tho.

Waffles were okay, nothing special. The chicken was some of the blandest stuff I've ever eaten. Had to pour the hot sauce to get any sort of flavor.

Roscoe's is one of the very few fried chicken places I've been to where they don't overcook the shit out of the breast. don't know what people are on about this 'bland' business.

Syriel

Yeah I really, really hope it means that they don't close down. That place is delicious.

Yep. Hopefully bankruptcy lets them survive. Love me their chicken and waffles.

It would be pretty crappy for the restaurant chain to survive, but avoid paying out in a discrimination case because of bankruptcy.

Failure would be deserved if they can't pay what is owed.

Discrimination isn't a result of bad luck in business or a poor economy.

It would be pretty crappy for the restaurant chain to survive, but avoid paying out in a discrimination case because of bankruptcy.

Which is why it's time for LA GAF to show their hand and give us some viable alternatives. The one time I was at Honey's Kettle the service was so abominable I never went back.

Dan

Based on the numbers given in the bankruptcy filing, the company is in no position to pay out that judgment or their other major debts. If the idea is to get that employee his money, I would think a Chapter 11 filing and a managed restructuring would serve him better than a Chapter 7 liquidation.

If the process goes forward and the company and bankruptcy judge somehow fuck this guy over and the company survives, then yeah, I completely agree that's a huge problem.

Phu

Banned
I've never been there but this song has been stuck in my head for years and years.

I kinda hope the whole thing doesn't go under before I get the chance to go there.

Knowing America, it's probably a multi-million dollar suit.

So guy gets paid, everyone loses their jobs.

$1.6 million to the victim and 1.5 million in legal fees. It's unfortunate that the ownership supported racism and also reportedly sexual harassment via its management. Had the owners intervened as they should have, the company wouldn't be going through this, exposing all of it's workers to this risk.

Especially hurtful as it is a black owner discriminating against a black worker. Nothing wrong with having different races in management, but they clearly went beyond that and into harassment and intimidation and denial of the opportunity to advance within the company based on racial factors.

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/201...-of-chicken-and-waffles-files-for-bankruptcy/

Permanently A

$1.6 million to the victim and 1.5 million in legal fees. It's unfortunate that the ownership supported racism and also reportedly sexual harassment via is't management. Had the owners intervened as they should have, the company wouldn't be going through this, exposing all of it's workers to this risk.

Especially hurtful as it is a black owner discriminating against a black worker. Nothing wrong with having different races in management, but they clearly went beyond that and into harassment and intimidation and denial of the opportunity to advance within the company based on racial factors.

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/201...-of-chicken-and-waffles-files-for-bankruptcy/

“No one, alas, more oppressive than the oppressed.” - Junot Díaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom