• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Landmark study reveals link between gut microbes, diet and illnesses

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

"Diets rich in healthy and plant-based foods encourages the presence of gut microbes that are linked to a lower risk of common illnesses including heart disease, research has found."​

A large-scale international study using metagenomics and blood chemical profiling has uncovered a panel of 15 gut microbes associated with lower risks of common conditions such as obesity and type 2 diabetes. The study has been published today in Nature Medicine from researchers at King’s, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, the University of Trento, Italy, and health start-up company ZOE.
The PREDICT 1 (Personalized Responses to Dietary Composition Trial 1) analyzed detailed data on the composition of participants’ gut microbiomes, their dietary habits, and cardiometabolic blood biomarkers. It uncovered strong links between a person’s diet, the microbes in their gut (microbiome) and their health.
Researchers identified microbes that positively or negatively correlate ‘good’ and ‘bad’ with an individual’s risk of certain serious conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Surprisingly, the microbiome has a greater association to these markers than other factors, such as genetics. Some of the identified microbes are so novel that they have not yet been named.
The researchers defined a “healthy” diet as one that contained a mix of foods associated with a lower risk of chronic disease. They found that trial subjects who ate such a diet, or one rich in plants, were more likely to have high levels of specific ‘good’ gut microbes which are associated with a low risk of common illnesses. The researchers also found microbiome-based biomarkers of obesity as well as markers for cardiovascular disease and impaired glucose tolerance, which are key risk factors for COVID. These findings can be used to help create personalized eating plans designed specifically to improve one’s health.
As a nutritional scientist, finding novel microbes that are linked to specific foods, as well as metabolic health, is exciting. Given the highly personalised composition of each individuals’ microbiome, our research suggests that we may be able to modify our gut microbiome to optimize our health by choosing the best foods for our unique biology.– Dr. Sarah Berry, Reader in Nutrition Sciences at the School of Life Course Sciences
For example, the findings reveal that having a microbiome rich in Prevotella copri and Blastocystis species was associated with maintaining a favorable blood sugar level after a meal. Other species were linked to lower post-meal levels of blood fats and markers of inflammation.
Professor Tim Spector, Epidemiologist from, who started the PREDICT study program and is scientific founder of ZOE, said: “When you eat, you’re not just nourishing your body, you’re feeding the trillions of microbes that live inside your gut.”
Nicola Segata, PhD, professor and principal investigator of the Computational Metagenomics Lab at the University of Trento, Italy and leader of the microbiome analysis in the study, said: “We were surprised to see such large, clear groups of what we informally call ‘good’ and ‘bad’ microbes emerging from our analysis. It is also exciting to see that microbiologists know so little about many of these microbes that they are not even named yet. This is now a big area of focus for us, as we believe they may open new insights in the future into how we could use the gut microbiome as a modifiable target to improve human metabolism and health.”
PREDICT is the largest in-depth nutritional study in the world. PREDICT 1 was an international collaboration to study links between diet, the microbiome, and biomarkers of cardiometabolic health. The researchers gathered microbiome sequence data, detailed long-term dietary information, and results of hundreds of cardiometabolic blood markers from just over 1,100 participants in the U.S. and the U.K. PREDICT 2 completed its primary investigations in 2020 with a further 1,000 U.S participants, and PREDICT 3 launched a few months ago.

Abstract here:

it is transplanted in your rectum lol

Thats not how it works ....lol

But you are right as this being pretty well known for example the Mediterranean diet.
The BBC article headline was something like "I had to eat my daughters poo to survive" and in the article IIRC they went on about rectal transplant and how some was put in the stomach.

but, it is the BBC, so take it with a pinch of salt (it might make the shit taste nicer)

ManofOne

Plus Member
a few years back I suffered from an intestinal mal rotation. My gut was severely out of wack and I had a serious nutritional problems.

My regular diet now promotes mostly probiotic development. I feel better and most of my vitals are better than a tandard. Highly recommend it

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
a few years back I suffered from an intestinal mal rotation. My gut was severely out of wack and I had a serious nutritional problems.

My regular diet now promotes mostly probiotic development. I feel better and most of my vitals are better than a tandard. Highly recommend it
What’s your diet now?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I can regular food but my diet now is mostly yogurt for mornings before work and snacks. I replaced white beard with sour dough bread and probiotic cheeses.

Drinking camomile tea and there was a milk I was on a few months after surgury. Forgot the name
Kefir maybe?

DESTROYA

I can regular food but my diet now is mostly yogurt for mornings before work and snacks. I replaced white beard with sour dough bread and probiotic cheeses.

Drinking camomile tea and there was a milk I was on a few months after surgury. Forgot the name
Yakult ?

shout out to fruit and veg haters

tenor.gif

Soodanim

Gold Member
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought this was known? I've seen stories on the BBC of poo transplants (The patient eats the shit of another patient) to retain healthy gut bacteria.
I think this is one of a few studies that’s have been happening in recent years that are looking to find out exactly what’s going on to make gut health so important.

I was under the impression that they could take samples and put it straight into the digestive system via tubes to the stomach (UK media too) but others say the other end is the method used so I’m willing to be wrong here. Or maybe both methods are used and we saw the same thing.

Tschumi

I heard about this quite a long time ago, I guess this study just confirmed it or something... the gut biome is one of the most important parts of our entire makeup... that's why i delight in my fecund flatulence xP

What are some examples of probiotic cheeses? I’ve never heard of that.

ManofOne

Plus Member
What are some examples of probiotic cheeses? I’ve never heard of that.
Its just fancy words for cheeses that promote good digestion. I've been eating gouda for a while, no other cheese.

edit - unless the don't have it at the store. I pick up swiss cheese.

Last edited:
Its just fancy words for cheeses that promote good digestion. I've been eating gouda for a while, no other cheese.

edit - unless the don't have it at the store. I pick up swiss cheese.
Ah okay. Yeah I try to have about 1oz of cheese a day and vary up what that is, but I do have other probiotic stuff in my regular rotation such as kimchi etc.

Rat Rage

Your gut microbes love/need fibre. Just eat more fibre rich foods. That's why a plant based diet improves your micro-biome, because there's lots of fibre.

Tesseract

Banned
trust your gut and eat smaller portions of healthy versions of various groups

meaning trust your brain to do the allotting (gusta --> hypo --> amy)

Hudo

Eating is a conspiracy facilitated by Nestlé to entrap us in a never ending cycle of buying food and pooping it out.

highrider

Banned
I’ve come to believe that diet, exercise and all that stuff is great, but genetics are what matters. Look at your parents, grandparents and extended family. What are they dying from, what’s their quality of life like and how did they take care of themselves?

Go_Ly_Dow

Look towards the islands for health tips - The Mediterranean and Okinawa.

I've also spent years looking into best outcomes for health and from what I decipher:
  1. Plenty of sunshine........ if you don't spend a lot of time outdoors, then supplement some vitamin D and vary the amount on your skin tone
  2. Plenty of movement in daily life........ if you're an office stiff like me then exercise when you can, lunch breaks, before or after work, some fast walking and light cardio and weights too
  3. Meat..... fatty cuts of chicken, beef and lamb and a bit of pork seem good. / Avoid heavily processed meats as that's what likely causes health issues more than some steak.
  4. Eat fish.....mackerel, sea bream, sea bass, cod, haddock etc.... frozen if fresh is a bit too expensive and tinned if you need even cheaper alternatives
  5. Plenty of fresh vegetables......... grow your own if you can / eat lots of nice salads with avacado / buy organic if you can and otherwise wash if you can't
  6. Eat some sea veggies.....wakame seaweed miso soup oiiishiiiiiii
  7. Fermented foods..... a bit of kimchi and Asian pickles are lovely
  8. Eat carbs if you can't resist but don't overindulge / rice and potatoes seem to be slightly healthier than bread / consider gluten free too / avoid brown rice.
  9. Choose rock salts over sea salt.......potential for microplastics in sea and table salt
  10. Soy....... probably not evil incarnate considering how much Japanese people eat on the daily with each meal. /stick to fermented soy such as miso paste if you can.
  11. Fats..... good for you, but probably not a good combination with a high amount of carbs and sugar at the same time. Have a nice breakfast consisting of eggs, avacados, some salsa and olive oil with no carbs. Thank me later.
  12. Sleep 7-8 hours. / stick to roughly the same times / give yourself a bit of leeway for weekend, but don't go crazy.
  13. Technology / don't look at your phone for the first hour after waking up. the first bit of light on your face should be the sun, not your phone screen. / give yourself a break each day.
  14. Eat less often, but pack the meals you do have with as much nutrition as possible..... less carbs and more meat, fish and fresh veggies.
  15. Milk/dairy might be evil - links to dairy consumption and prostate cancer. Plenty of good milk alternatives these days, consume less often if you can't give up entirely.
  16. Intermittent fasting seems good, have your last meal at 6 or 7pm and your next at 12 or1pm the next day - do it whenever you feel strong enough to resist breakfast (including sugary tea or coffee)
  17. Cook
  18. Drink less or don't drink
  19. Don't smoke
  20. Green tea/ matcha is great
  21. Real maple syrup is the best sweetener
  22. Herbs and spices are the shit
  23. Lose weight, consider intermittent fasting and lower carbs, but don't forgo good nutrition and flavour.
  24. Speak to people
  25. Give yourself a break now and again without slipping into full on gluttony
Now that's a disgusting awfully presented info dump and so I apologise in advance. <3

Last edited:
Top Bottom