• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft to lead team of explorers and to get romantically involved with another female character

jdforge

Banned
Hate to break it to it, but being gay is normal just as being straight. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it morally.

The gender issue is another topic entirely and one that I don’t care enough about to even comment on.

I’m betting that the point made on morality was that there’s a definite increase in the sexualisation of content that kids are being exposed to, whether gay or straight.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Hate to break it to it, but being gay is normal just as being straight. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it morally.

The gender issue is another topic entirely and one that I don’t care enough about to even comment on.
Why are we seeing a substantial surge in in the number of 'LGBT' individuals from the age of 16 to 25? Environmental influence.

A mildly humorous take on the subject

I’m betting that the point made on morality was that there’s a definite increase in the sexualisation of content that kids are being exposed to, whether gay or straight.
Precisely.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
It's what happens when you hire purple headed weirdos into your projects under the fear of not selling 'The message', sadly.

I thought it would have ended by now as none of this shit sells 🤷‍♂️

Guess we need to kill ALL known well selling franchises. There cant be many left now.
They better do it, or there’s going to be a walkout. Also, River is canonically a lesbian. It’s important you know that. Matter of fact, everyone but Clank is non-binary.

Last edited:

teraflops

Neo Member
They remake one franchise that had her sexuality not explored in the previous iterations, so why now? The problem is not if a character is lesbian or not, the problem is that they want to push their bullshit to everyone and rewrite everything from the beginning with a agenda in mind. They can easily create a tomb explorer that is lesbian or whatever and call it Ema Johnson instead of ruining a established character.
Well I personally don't give a shit what sexuality a fictional character is. I only care if the game is fun. But to each their own.

In any event, that has nothing to do with what I said when I responded to your original comment.

Arachnid

Hmmm. On one hand, lesbian Croft sounds fantastic

On the other, I don't want an "authentic british" protag modelled after Emily Blunt. I want OG hotty Lara Croft. Bring her back.

tomb-raider-1107592.jpeg

I can't believe you're being serious...

I've played Tales, Trails, Xenoblade, Person just these past two years.

Romance is either a component or it's shoehorned in to satisy the weebs and their desire for a waifu. Even the kiddiest weeb game Kingdom Hearts centers around Sora and Kairi's relationship.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I've played Tales, Trails, Xenoblade, Person just these past two years.

Romance is either a component or it's shoehorned in to satisy the weebs and their desire for a waifu. Even the kiddiest weeb game Kingdom Hearts centers around Sora and Kairi's relationship.
You must not have played them completely them. Nor really understood what I wrote.

I said that I'm tired of romance being the core of the story, not that its part of it. Since when the romance between Shulk and Fiona was what the story of XC was all about? Or that Persona's romance is so central to the story that its relegated to side quests?Same for Tails, SMT, KH(There are KH ganes that Kairi doesn't even appear. Not to mention that KH games dob't have romance, its all about the relationships that you make through the bonds of friendship. Talk about being completely clueless what a franchise is about...)

While alot of western developed games do give more focus to romance(Many, not all): TLOU 2, Most Adventure games(The Telltale-like ones), alot of Sony developed games, etc.

Regarding Tomb Raider in particular, I though the 2013 reboot hit a perfect balance in that regard: They had considerable ammount of time spent on building the relationship between the characters, but they also gave as much time to the plot itself, and never let that charachters ofuscate the actual plot, and left any sexual stupidity out of it(Because ypu know, you're trying to survive and can die of a thousand different things, but sure, lets hook up and have sex for a moment here). The next two games, especially Shadow, completely breaks that balance, which is why they are seen as inferior games.

I just want Tomb Raider to go back to that balance, and focus on its plot, rather than the characters just for the sake of it. Lara's sexuality and sex scenes never mattered to the franchise for a reason, as the adventure was always its soul. And I want thrm to recapture it. Making Lara a lesbian JUST for the sake of having her bang other woman(Because I honestly don't see another reason why they would do that) will just tarnish her image of a dauntless adventurer in my opinion, and the game will be about fan fantasies about her sucking another woman's boobs, rather about exploring the unknown.If the reason for a romance is because she is lonely, there a 100 different ways to tackle it without "falling in love" in the middle of a fucking do or die situation, especially since that situation will probably last a few in-game days. And on that note, why lesbian?And not being straight? Or you know, try adopting a kid if you're lonely, or go make some friends.But no, its popular to go woke, and what's more woke than making one of the most popular, iconic, and old female character a fucking lesbian?

I'm tired of this woke shit and how it fucks up with the game's quality.

Last edited:
You must not have played them completely them. Nor really understood what I wrote.

I said that I'm tired of romance being the core of the story, not that its part of it. Since when the romance between Shulk and Fiona was what the story of XC was all about? Or that Persona's romance is so central to the story that its relegated to side quests?Same for Tails, SMT, KH(There are KH ganes that Kairi doesn't even appear. Not to mention that KH games dob't have romance, its all about the relationships that you make through the bonds of friendship. Talk about being completely clueless what a franchise is about...)

While alot of western developed games do give more focus to romance(Many, not all): TLOU 2, Most Adventure games(The Telltale-like ones), alot of Sony developed games, etc.

Regarding Tomb Raider in particular, I though the 2013 reboot hit a perfect balance in that regard: They had considerable ammount of time spent on building the relationship between the characters, but they also gave as much time to the plot itself, and never let that charachters ofuscate the actual plot, and left any sexual stupidity out of it(Because ypu know, you're trying to survive and can die of a thousand different things, but sure, lets hook up and have sex for a moment here). The next two games, especially Shadow, completely breaks that balance, which is why they are seen as inferior games.

I just want Tomb Raider to go back to that balance, and focus on its plot, rather than the characters just for the sake of it. Lara's sexuality and sex scenes never mattered to the franchise for a reason, as the adventure was always its soul. And I want thrm to recapture it. Making Lara a lesbian JUST for the sake of having her bang other woman(Because I honestly don't see another reason why they would do that) will just tarnish her image of a dauntless adventurer in my opinion, and the game will be about fan fantasies about her sucking another woman's boobs, rather about exploring the unknown.

I'm tired of this woke shit and how it fucks up with the game's quality.

How exactly does TLOU focus more on romance than fucking Xenoblade? Because Abby had a 5 minute sex scene and Fiona didn't? Is that your bar?

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
How exactly does TLOU focus more on romance than fucking Xenoblade? Because Abby had a 5 minute sex scene and Fiona didn't? Is that your bar?
...Do I really need to answer that?

How much time Xenoblade wastes showing how much Shulk loves Fiona or Melia, versus actually explaining why people live on top of titans or the like? And in TLOU 2, how much time they spend on intrigues, romances or talking about relationships, versus having plot developments(which there aren't any. Trust me, I played the game to completion), about where the virus came from, why the government fell apart, or something like that?

I mean, I don't know why I'm explaining that. Its blatantly obvious.

How much time Xenoblade wastes showing how much Shulk loves Fiona or Melia, versus actually explaining why people live on top of titans or the like? And in TLOU 2, how much time they spend on intrigues, romances or talking about relationships, versus having plot developments(which there aren't any. Trust me, I played the game to completion), about where the virus came from, why the government fell apart, or something like that?

You're such a clown lol

Yes in TLOU all your characters are talking about for 20 hours are who they want to bang.

Nautilus

Banned
You're such a clown lol

Yes in TLOU all your characters are talking about for 20 hours are who they want to bang.
God, some users in this forum have their heads up their asses.

Yeah sure, let's all make believe that Persona is all about waifus and not about its plot, or that Xenoblade spends about 50% of its time talking about which girl is best.

lmao

God, some users in this forum have their heads up their asses.

Yeah sure, let's all make believe that Persona is all about waifus and not about its plot, or that Xenoblade spends about 50% of its time talking about which girl is best.

lmao

No, I don't think that. When you were talking about hating westernised romance. I assumed you just hated it's existance period. I didn't think you deluded yourself into thinking TLOU was a 20 hour playboy game. I gave you more credit than you deserved. My bad there.

Nautilus

Banned
No, I don't think that. When you were talking about hating westernised romance. I assumed you just hated it's existance period. I didn't think you deluded yourself into thinking TLOU was a 20 hour playboy game. I gave you more credit than you deserved. My bad there.
No need to apologise. Not everyone has the brain power to properly follow up on a conversation.

So in order to keep this topic peaceful and on topic, knowing now of your limitations, I forgive you. Let us now move on knowing what went wrong.

Last edited:

Outlier

Aw man. I was hoping she'd hook up with big somoan boy. mmm-mmm

But seriously, did Lara EVER show intimacy interest for any of the men, from either series?
Seems like not a big deal.

Yeah, you haven't played many Jrpgs at all, which explains your small example pool.

93xfan

Banned
Aw man. I was hoping she'd hook up with big somoan boy. mmm-mmm

But seriously, did Lara EVER show intimacy interest for any of the men, from either series?
Seems like not a big deal.
No. Nor the women. She was always dedicated to her mission.

I guess we’ll see how it turns out, but I really feel like there would be no romantic interest if they weren’t trying to score points.

I also don’t want to see Mario go on dates, nor see Sonic pop the question.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I mean, who gives a shit? Just make sure the fucking game is good? Can we just go back to focusing on that?

93xfan

Banned
You're such a clown lol

I think the point missing is that there are people who push this in for no reason. Rivet in R&C for example, is outed via a twitter post by a developer trying to show off her wokeness. Had nothing to do with the game.

This series was never about romance. It feels like having Luigi get romantically involved with the professor in Luigi’s Mansion.

Rippa

Remember the days when we used to play and enjoy games without wondering and discussing about the sexuality of the characters or the colour of their skin?

Sure do! It’s like generation sensi-zoom (sensitive zoomers) get their panties in a bunch if they don’t know if pikachu is fucking something or itself. Like if it’s really important to get the most out of video gaming.🙄

All of them:
k5YsgbO.jpg

april6e

Poor Jonah. He has suffered in the friends zone for so long putting his life on the line time and time again to save Lara...

Only to have his crush switch teams on him. Also, the R34 community is going to go nuts with this.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Poor Jonah. He has suffered in the friends zone for so long putting his life on the line time and time again to save Lara...

Only to have his crush switch teams on him. Also, the R34 community is going to go nuts with this.
Jonah already gave up on Lara and her emotional seizures in Shadow and went after another girl. I really thought this was the perfect setup to get Lara to forget about relationships and focus on treasure hunting in a solitary adventure. But the devs just can’t help themselves apparently.

Just ignore him. He's just Tlou2 hater. You can see him 'haha' any positive posts in every tlou2 thread.

Woopah

There are not forced hetero relationship just forced gay relationship down to our throat with every game, show or movie.
You want an example, then I give you one: I saw recently the resident evil show on Netflix. Why was tboss of ambrela lesbian? Did it add anything to the story? Or was just because they had to have one lesbian couple ?
That would mean a lot of games, TV shows and movies force straight relationships down your throat as well though wouldn't it? There's plenty of hetero characters in media.

I just don't understand this mindset . Sexuality is a normal part of life and when I watch a TV show or play a game I don't need the writers to justify why character is a straight or bi or gay.

Surely there's no issue with Nathan Drake or Kratos being straight right?

PanzerAzel

I don’t really care either way; I’ve no trouble with anyone’s gender or orientation. But given the political climate we find ourselves in, I do question the motivation behind this change.

Let’s be honest, Lara‘s original design specifically catered to a certain demographic: heterosexual males. It’s always struck me a bit amusing when the focus is taken off of this particular audience (and this applies to any similar change) that the opposition to such a move is met with cries of indignation and howls of bigotry. When you create a character that appeals from its inception to a respective audience in such characteristics, yet is suddenly batting for the other team, what’s the expected response?

Don‘t these developers understand their audience? Who do they believe Croft holds appeal to? Who was designed to hold appeal to?

Top Bottom