• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft to lead team of explorers and to get romantically involved with another female character

Javthusiast

Banned
Mr Rogers Clown GIF
star wars twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

sendit

I dont care who you fuck..male, female, or alien. Make a GAME and sell it on its own merit. It a shame when a game is announced the first snippet we hear about is sexual orientation and gender identity for brownie points. Not gameplay and tech. Make the gameplay great and an actually engaging explorer story. Not some weak ass romance drama. I wouldnt care if it was a heterosexual or homosexual relationship. Its fucking weak.

This was a leak.

They have to force lesbians, gays and trans in every media. Can't they just make a game that has a good gameplay and interesting story without any sexual relationship with another cast member (homosexual or heterosexual)?
Esp. when trans are like 0.001% of society... As much as Bill Maher is a prick, he said it best - being trans and non binary is a trend nowadays. It's nothing more than an emo phase in 2010 lmao :D For me they are overrepresented nowadays

But honestly I have no problem with lesbian Lara, if it will be done right without forcing it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Guess I should have specified clearly straight protags instead of couples, so you wouldn't try to get a gatcha moment huh?

But here are some:

Mass Effect
RDR1&2
RE7&8
It Takes Two
Days Gone
Every Final Fantasy
Wolfenstein
Spiderman
Etc.
I weren’t trying to get a gotcha, you said couples so I only talked about couples.

But Mass Effect? That’s player choice.

Could’ve listed Cyberpunk in that case, it’s much better, then you’d get a somewhat serious relationship, you get text messages on your phone and all.

Nathan and Elena is still the best though, in UC4, no cheating or anything, even a solid ending without death and misery.

But it is truly a rare thing.

The Alien

Banned
This is canon.

Feel free to browse the internet. Google 'Lara Croft' and 'lesbian'. There is an overwhelming number of videos on the internet explicitly proving that Lara had had lesbian experience previously. Trust me, I did the research by...myself. 😆

Raven117

Gold Member
I think this is a cop out...writers are scared to give Lara a heterosexual relationship because they are harder to write and keep the "male fantasy" in tact. Its not about inclusion of homosexual relationships at all. Its about writing something that keeps men interested. They will wrap this up in inclusion. And maybe it is...I don't know. But there is the added bonus of them not being challenged to write a male character that doesn't threaten the player base, worthy of "Lara Croft", and keep male players connected with Lara.

To think of it...the only heterosexual main character (that is female) relationship with a male character is Assassins Creed Syndicate with Evie.

The whole "they are lesbian" reminds me more of a high school boys locker room- talk rather than something actually inclusive and diverse.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Close up shop, because this right here is it.

I don't play video games to see sad sacks -- if I wanted that, I would just go out and interact with any number of sad sacks I deal with on a regular basis in the real world 😂

The point of Tomb Raider is that it's a larger than life adventure with a woman who's a total badass, will kick your ass and has a sassy attitude to match. She's got dual pistols and solves puzzles and goes into exotic locations.

Sadly, that *was* the point of Tomb Raider. It's partially what made it such a successful franchise when it first came along. That, and the considered, slow paced, but highly atmospheric gameplay, taking place within well crafted and expansive environments.

Unfortunately, both things are now gone.

Lara can no longer be a confident, bold, sexually attractive woman, who isn't mired in 'relatable' problems - because that doesn't appeal to the mindset of the modern game developers who control the IP. But instead of rightly creating fresh characters to cater to that mindset (which is a lot of hard work and requires talent) they simply change characters like Lara to suit their tastes, because that's much easier, and comes with a built in fanbase to earn money off. I would honestly rather never see another Tomb Raider game than this mentality.

Welcome the entire problem with modern popular culture - in microcosm here with this one specific example.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
My wife and I are against mixed race marriage.

(Yes we’re a mixed race couple and we joke about this all the time sorry)
I'm not against it but (for example) seeing a white guy, Asian wife and a black kid just seems wayyy to forced.........We know what you are doing.

Amerikan

Banned
They have to force lesbians, gays and trans in every media. Can't they just make a game that has a good gameplay and interesting story without any sexual relationship with another cast member (homosexual or heterosexual)?

For fucks sake...

There are so many interesting topics to tackle, but they had to go the romantic route, AND make Lara a lesbian?

Honestly, getting more and more tired of those western developers that uses romance heavily to tell a story.I want a good plot, not fictional people banging each other.
Oh, please. Fictional plots feature protagonists overcoming insurmountable odds, but a lesbian relationship is “forced”? Good thing your line of thinking will be outdated in 100 years.

anthraticus

Banned
Trying to force all this out of place stuff in games just trying to appeal to lonely nerds and their pathetic love life fantasies...lol. Sad

Oh, please. Fictional plots feature protagonists overcoming insurmountable odds, but a lesbian relationship is “forced”? Good thing your line of thinking will be outdated in 100 years.
A lesbian or straight relationship has jack shit to do with the reasons why Laura Croft / Tomb Raider got so popular. So yea it is forced. It would be as if they told us about Lauras recycling habits on the weekends. It adds nothing to an action adventure / puzzle game.

consoul

TOMBoy RAIDER.

If true, the scriptwriters have taken the most obvious step to fulfill the stereotype and play to both the rainbow market and the girl-on-girl male fantasy market.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Has there ever been a female mc that is straight? Shiit even my femv from cyberpunk was all in on Judy.
But whose sexuality should the MC reflect? The character or the player? I'd argue that the MC, regardless of gender, reflects the PLAYERS tastes thus a female lead is gonna chase skirts just like a male lead because that's what the players want. I'm sure there is a TON of industry research into this based on games with gender and romance choice options. How many guys played fem Eviir in AC Valhalla and still lacked on that guys wife instead of the Bro-dude?

93xfan

Banned
To all the people saying this won’t add to the game:

Maybe the love interest will be morbidly obese (aka extra, extra, super sized healthy to the Body Positivity movement). Anyway, maybe there’s a scene where Lara follows her up a steep, slippery incline, causing this new character to slip and come rolling down towards Lara. Think the boulder scene in Indiana Jones.

And that’s just off the top of my head

93xfan

Banned
This is perfect

I never understood all this, I want a game, not a what’s your identity or sex life simulator. The only thing I want Lara Croft to do is penetrate the skulls of her enemies with a well aimed arrow.

Did they hire a purple hair writer?
If you lie to yourself and tell yourself and others that your entire identity is wrapped up in one thing- your sexuality, then maybe it makes sense.

But we all here are more than just our sexuality. We a passionate gamers, lovers of good stories, enthusiasts of music and we all have a unique perspective on all these topics and more.

Might as well, everyone is convinced I'm watching No Mans Land when playing a new Tomb Raider game anyway.

Lara has been edging for 25 years.

Mojo1990

Wait a minute.

Isn't Lara already confirmed to have had romantic relationships with men in previous games? This must be a reboot to appease diversity quota

Dr.Morris79

A weird idea for sure but why cant we have a well written story without sexual preferences involved?

Most of this crap screams teenage magazine drama. Are the people writing this guff just big children?

I find it all so odd. Why even have sex in games?

Fredrik

To all the people saying this won’t add to the game:

Maybe the love interest will be morbidly obese (aka extra, extra, super sized healthy to the Body Positivity movement). Anyway, maybe there’s a scene where Lara follows her up a steep, slippery incline, causing this new character to slip and come rolling down towards Lara. Think the boulder scene in Indiana Jones.

And that’s just off the top of my head
And she could tell her gf to lay down and roll her to specific places and bounce on her stomach to reach higher ledges.

Fredrik

Wait a minute.

Isn't Lara already confirmed to have had romantic relationships with men in previous games? This must be a reboot to appease diversity quota
I thought so too but apparently it’s only in the movies and comics. Different writers.

FunkMiller

A weird idea for sure but why cant we have a well written story without sexual preferences involved?

Most of this crap screams teenage magazine drama. Are the people writing this guff just big children?

I find it all so odd. Why even have sex in games?

Nothing wrong with having sex in games.

Nothing wrong with having gay people in games.

Everything wrong with altering popular characters to suit a political agenda.

Dr.Morris79

Nothing wrong with having sex in games.

Nothing wrong with having gay people in games.

Everything wrong with altering popular characters to suit a political agenda.
It's mostly subjective, but just not needed to make the story. I mean, take Tomb raider for example. It was a game about exploring ancient tombs, who Lara was sexualy active with was not even a thought in the early days.. and to be fair, who actually gives a shit?

My mechanic, the other day, discovered what was making a nasty bang from the passenger side wheel, it was a cracking adventure that cost me money. At no point did I ask if he was a lesbian, it held zero weight in that particular yarn.

It's reductive, infantile and serves zero purpose to most stories and media

Why people are so fixated on it now just hows how far back we've really gone. It's not progressive in any way and shows how infantile most writers are now days as to them writing about where your dick goes, or doesnt, seems to be the height of their creativity.

I'm not moaning at your answer and I fully get your point, it's just sad to see that most writers (and consumers) never got their brain out of their pants.

Woopah

Sometimes it can be easy.

Use it as the main marketing point, or make the character be defined only by it, forgetting to add any kind of depth.

Tlou2 first trailer is a great example.
So being that neither of those have happened so far, we can't say this the romance in this Tomb Raider game forced.

Also it's pretty ridiculous to say that a kiss was TLOU2's main marketing point, they showed off lots of things in their marketing of that game.

Fredrik

It's not progressive in any way and shows how infantile most writers are now days as to them writing about where your dick goes, or doesnt, seems to be the height of their creativity.

I'm not moaning at your answer and I fully get your point, it's just sad to see that most writers (and consumers) never got their brain out of their pants.
Yeah.There is a time and place for everything and announcing personal things like that is about the last thing needed.

I mean it literally took me half my life to find out that a friend of mine was gay, once it was out it was no big deal, it just explained why he was alone while the rest of us had families.

And I have coworkers I’ve met every day for years with for me unknown sexual preference.

This thing of writers ignoring so many other important characteristics and early on essentially turn a character into ”the gay/lesbian person” is absurd.

I bet half the people watching Netflix’s Resident Evil serie don’t even remember the full name of the Umbrella boss, but I bet they remember that she’s lesbian. And her wife… I don’t remember her name and I just saw the show. The other mom?

FunkMiller

I bet half the people watching Netflix’s Resident Evil serie don’t even remember the full name of the Umbrella boss, but I bet they remember that she’s lesbian. And her wife… I don’t remember her name and I just saw the show. The other mom?

The Resident Evil show is a prime example of agenda over story.

It's plainly obvious that the people responsible wanted to tell a story about youth culture and sibling rivalry, the post apocalypse, and wanted to pepper that story with representation for minorities.

These are all perfectly fine in an original narrative, but not in a Resident Evil series that already has a successfully established story line and characters.

WoJ

I remember when games could have narratives that didn't involve romance of any type. Those were the days.

This is totally unnecessary. Lara doesn't need a heterosexual or homosexual relationship in Tomb Raider. And this is so obviously shoe horned in to check a diversity box. Lame.

FunkMiller

Yeah there are more than enough occasions where she shows that she's very into men. Even in the Survivor trilogy, there's a journal entry where she talks about hooking up up with guys.

Emphasis on the phrase 'hooking up with.'

Lara should never be portrayed as someone in a deep and meaningful relationship. With anyone of either sex. She's a fucking cypher. A power fantasy. And that's perfectly okay.

I'm so sick of every single archetype being deconstructed by people with a severe lack of creative ability.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
I'm fine with Lara fooling around with a girl. What girl hasn't these days? Though a relationship? Christ how lame

Top Bottom