• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Largest ramen festival in the US coming to San Jose Convention Center in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sounds awesome in theory, but how much ramen can you eat in one day?

Everything!

jzklVh8.gif

They had this in Little Tokyo last month. So much good ramen. There was also an okonomiyaki stand too.

Ramen burger was the best

PsychBat!

Banned
Good thing I'm not in that area during the weekend. I know parking in the surrounding areas become scarce during conventions.

NastyBook

Fuck...now I want ramen.
There's this shop called Noodle in downtown Decatur, here in GA. I'm gonna hit them up to see if they have anything close to this. The one's with the egg in them look so good, but I know they'd fuck my stomach up if I ate them.

I find it difficult to get excited about this, given that every ramen yokocho event seems to be a complete cluster logistics wise.

I guess a ramen festival in general is one of those things that sounds like a good idea, but in general probably is not. There's probably just no way to serve that many people quickly without really lowering quality standards.

I feel so uncultured but I had no idea you had to slurp ramen. I didnt know that was the proper way to eat it. Make noises and shit while doing it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I feel so uncultured but I had no idea you had to slurp ramen. I didnt know that was the proper way to eat it. Make noises and shit while doing it.

Bringing air in helps to increase sense of smell and taste. You see it with other things, like wine tasting. Slurping ramen, udon, and soba helps accentuate the flavors.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Bringing air in helps to increase sense of smell and taste. You see it with other things, like wine tasting. Slurping ramen, udon, and soba helps accentuate the flavors.

This, and it's also seen as good manners/respect towards the chef in eastern cultures.

"This is so good I want to completely empty the bowl and experience the delicious flavor to the fullest extent my senses allow."

Of course in the west it's seen as you being loud, sloppy, and disrespectful to other customers because of the ruckus you're making. Funny how the same action can be taken completely differently based on cultural norms, huh?

Oh really? I thought it was because it looked awkward if you chewed ramen as it was going up. I feel so ignorant now.

I still feel self conscious about slurping ramen in public though. Its like such a "pig out at home after work" kind of thing to do.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So did anyone go this past weekend? I was busy, but was thinking of going this coming weekend if the line situation wasn't as bad as the one in Japantown SF a while back.

simplayer

Ya, I went.

The lines weren't bad. I had to wait maybe 15 minutes in the longest line I found. Lots of the stalls were not busy at all.

The seating setup they had wasn't great (a ton of spots were taken up by seating for the stage).

I did go around 11:30 though, so your mileage may vary.

Went with friends, though we actually purchased the express passes (only to find out we didn't really need to) and came around 5pm or so. Though we didn't need the pass, the two provided tickets were enough to fill us up.

Anyways, it was alright and yep, the ramen burger is something I probably could've come up with when in college. I did like the noodles they used for it though.

Here are the two bowls that I got:
Ramen Burger
vDmuqHK.jpg

Tsujita
bDZFVv0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom