• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

Salsa

holy shit Nimbus aint there!! i suck

Its only $4.99 USD and its one of my favorite indie games, simply fantastic.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50000/

header_292x136.jpg

ss_bc7a86f455397957c13571a4cba27df7fda70d60.600x338.jpg

ss_8abfc13803297c411ea93730ba8d2ed87eccbe53.600x338.jpg

Nimbus is a unique combination of racing & puzzling. The player controls a craft with no means of directly propelling itself and needs to use whatever is scattered around the levels to acquire thrust and reach the goal. Traverse a world map with several distinct islands in order to recover your lost love. Light on story, but heavy on gameplay Nimbus offers several hours of increasingly harder challenges.

get iiiiiiiiiiit

DogWelder said:
IMO, there's nothing that this version offers that makes it worth it over the freeware version.
While I'll agree the free version's graphics are better (don't know if they're included in the Steam version yet), but achievements and new secrets/endings are worth throwing a few bucks towards the lovely person that created the game.

Purchase recommendation help:

- Which Xcom games to buy?

- Was it confirmed that Oddworld Strangers Wrath would get the HD updates that the console version is getting?

ymmv

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
The problem would be that even if the games were controller compatible, you'd still need a KBM to launch the games from Steam, so if it's an absolute line that you will not cross, none of these games are fine.

If, on the other hand, you've got a wireless keyboard and you just prefer a controller, ask about specific games. Support varies. Also the Wireless 360 controller has slightly worse support than the wired 360 controller, so there's that as well. Plus some games might be keyboard only but it might be feasible to do a joy2key mapping.

I don't mind launching them with the keyboard or mouse, as long as the actual game can be managed using just a controller. I've got a wired controller.

BTW The OP did a terrific job. Lots of kudos.

Detox

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu so I take it Trainz Simulator 2009: World Builder Edition isn't going to be a daily deal nor is it getting any kind of sale :(

Gvaz

Banned
ymmv said:
I already have a console (five of them). I've got a big HDTV and a nice couch in the middle of my room. All my consoles plus my PC is connected to that hub. HDTV is set up as a second display. I'm not going to sit in a corner playing on my PC monitor when I've got a better setup. (Although my PC monitor is pretty nice too: 30" Dell)
I've got no qualms about someone playing pc games with a controller on a hd setup, but not buying a game because it doesn't support a controller is....I don't even have the words.

StuBurns

Banned
Vinterbird said:
- Was it confirmed that Oddworld Strangers Wrath would get the HD updates that the console version is getting?
They have said it will, a lot of GAF seem skeptical and tend to discourage purchases because of how the game was rolled out.

1286652114_xpvivjm3fp4ka9s.jpeg

Sanctum is a lot of fun, but man can it get hard. It's weird trying to plan out a Tower Defense plan in a first person view.

MMaRsu

Banned
Does Prince of persia 2008 run good on a

3.47ghz intel celeron
9600GTO 1.5gbram
2GB ram

?

Controller support?

AceBandage said:
1286652114_xpvivjm3fp4ka9s.jpeg

Sanctum is a lot of fun, but man can it get hard. It's weird trying to plan out a Tower Defense plan in a first person view.

Quoting because this is a pretty awesome game. /Stephen Hawking voice.

Narag

AceBandage said:
http://worldsdown.net/uploads/posts//1286652114_xpvivjm3fp4ka9s.jpeg[/IG]
Sanctum is a lot of fun, but man can it get hard. It's weird trying to plan out a Tower Defense plan in a first person view.[/QUOTE]

It's fabulous but there's this massive gulf between easy and medium.

MMaRsu said:
Does Prince of persia 2008 run good on a

3.47ghz intel celeron
9600GTO 1.5gbram
2GB ram

?

Controller support?

Can't say anything about the hardware experience but there's native controller support.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nelo Ice said:
hows eschalon? game always look interesting and ive never seen it on sale before

Buy. Seriously, if only to support people who still make great classic RPG's with lots of depth.

Salsa

Nelo Ice said:
hows eschalon? game always look interesting and ive never seen it on sale before

from an old thread i made:

EviLore said:
Awesome thread. I can recommend Eschalon from the OP, was playing it until New Vegas interrupted. Isometric rpg love, kinda like solo Arcanum minus ten years but with a nice (if bulky) UI and modern design decisions where it makes sense.

PaulLFC

Is the Drakensang prequel good? It's not available in my region (UK) apparently. Only the original Drakensang game is available here.

Can't really recommend Blueberry Garden.. check the OT if you have doubts. I know it's just a buck and it was a nice distraction.. but it just didn't do anything really cool or special.
Samorost is magical, definitely worth it if you liked Machinarium (also best adventure of recent years).
Osmos, some game modes frustrated me. Some were blissful. I'm going to double dip on this. Eufloria was fun what I played.
Everyday Shooter is kickin' rad but it's such a bitch to get past the third level.. you have to grind to unlock levels, I haven't seen half the game and I've put a lot of time into it (including a lost save file)
Cogs is great fun. Little rough around the edges but quite a varied puzzler for the format they use.
Broken Sword if you like old school adventures. Definitely get, it's amazing.

I'm gonna pick up Tiny Bang Story and maybe Syberia

Nelo Ice

Banned
SalsaShark said:
from an old thread i made:

guess i'll get both of em along with bloodlines and some other games

glad i decided not to buy multiple games so i could save and have $$ for bloodlines and other discounted indies

Narag said:
It's fabulous but there's this massive gulf between easy and medium.
I'm finding easy to be nice, relaxing and enjoyable since I suck at tower defense games. Kind of bummed to hear that medium drives it up that much, but I like the game enough to at least try it once I've exhausted my time with the easy mode.

Speaking of, I might as well hop back on and finish up the next level so I can get to the ticket achievement.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't care for the Nimbus demo. I liked Altitude. I can't even START downloading the Blueberry Garden demo since the Steam servers are too busy, grr.

botlite

It's not on the list but I have read good things about Anomaly: Warzone Earth and will probably pick it up for $5 tomorrow.

Salsa

Derrick01 said:
aww this thread is not good for the $25 I have left. Not good at all...

hey man, im the one who made it and im pretty much broke so i cant buy shit from what i listed :p

spend away, tomorrow's probably a recap

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
DogWelder said:
I'd like to recommend against buying Doc Clock. Boring; uninspired "puzzles"; awful gameplay mechanics.
I'm going to second this. Doc Clock is absolutely terrible. A physics-based puzzle game where the physics are janky as can be and the biggest puzzle is getting your car up a two foot incline? No thanks.

Top Bottom