• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

epmode

I kinda resent someone for recommending CreaVures. I simply can't figure out how to configure the controller input. The config program is nonsense. It wants me to set 8 separate axis inputs on a single controller without even describing what each one does. And there's no in-game controller help.

So as soon as I start up the game, my guy just crawls to the left and I can't do anything about it.

There's not even a Steam forum for the game. It points me to the developer's forum instead.

Pie Lord

I'm tempted to pick up GTA IV and Bad Company 2. How well should they run on a Intel Q9300 Quad core clocked at 2.5, an ATI 4850HD and 8GB of DDR2?

PBalfredo

Does anyone know if Dogfighter has an active community? I'm totally down for a Crimson Skies style game, but I don't want to buy it and find a bunch of empty lobbies.

I really enjoyed puzzle quest 1 and 2, are the other similar games any good? Puzzle Chronicles is the only other one I can think of right now.

Unison

I hold this thread responsible for most of this:

The Longest Journey + Dreamfall 6.24 USD
I-Fluid 1.25 USD
Stubbs the Zombie 2.49 USD
Eschalon: Book I 3.74 USD
Musaic Box 1.24 USD
The Mawesome Pack 2.99 USD
Chronicles of Mystery - The Scorpio Ritual 2.49 USD
Eschalon Book II 4.99 USD
Whispered World 10.20 USD
QuantZ 2.50 USD
Zen of Sudoku 1.25 USD
Saira 2.50 USD
Future Wars 2.49 USD
Nation Red 3.39 USD
Jamestown 6.69 USD
Penny Arcade Combo Pack 1.80 USD
Lume 2.38 USD
Capsized 4.99 USD
Nimbus 4.99 USD
CreaVures 3.40 USD
Anomaly: Warzone Earth 4.99 USD
Cyan Complete 9.99 USD
Drakensang: The River of Time 9.99 USD
A.R.E.S. 4.99 USD
Fortix 2 4.99 USD

Subtotal 106.96 USD

epmode said:
I kinda resent someone for recommending CreaVures. I simply can't figure out how to configure the controller input. The config program is nonsense. It wants me to set 8 separate axis inputs on a single controller without even describing what each one does. And there's no in-game controller help.

So as soon as I start up the game, my guy just crawls to the left and I can't do anything about it.

There's not even a Steam forum for the game. It points me to the developer's forum instead.
Don't have a gamepad, so I have no clue how that works for it--sorry that it seems to be giving you so much trouble. I just ignored the prompt to set that up and used the default keyboard controls, which aren't that bad at all:
Arrow Keys: Move left/right, climb up, crouch
Spacebar: Jump
F: Use current character's special ability (aside from Glidey, whose special ability is gliding, which naturally just involves jumping)
S: Switch between two current characters on field
D: Once you have three or more characters, use to switch one of the two currently on the field for one that's not when you're at a checkpoint.

Like I said though, explaining the controls is definitely this game's flaw (I pretty much had to figure out the keyboard controls by trial and error, which luckily didn't take too long since there aren't that many controls). If you can get past that though, it's definitely an enjoyable game.

Liberty4all

Banned
Sober said:
Just curious, is the Ghostbusters game worth the 6.69$? Looks fairly harmless.

I bought it at full price on the 360 when it came out. Fantastic campaign although short. The story in it is straight up ghostbusters .... really captured the feeling of being "in" a Ghostbusters movie.

Salsa

Unison said:
I hold this thread responsible for most of this:

The Longest Journey + Dreamfall 6.24 USD
I-Fluid 1.25 USD
Stubbs the Zombie 2.49 USD
Eschalon: Book I 3.74 USD
Musaic Box 1.24 USD
The Mawesome Pack 2.99 USD
Chronicles of Mystery - The Scorpio Ritual 2.49 USD
Eschalon Book II 4.99 USD
Whispered World 10.20 USD
QuantZ 2.50 USD
Zen of Sudoku 1.25 USD
Saira 2.50 USD
Future Wars 2.49 USD
Nation Red 3.39 USD
Jamestown 6.69 USD
Penny Arcade Combo Pack 1.80 USD
Lume 2.38 USD
Capsized 4.99 USD
Nimbus 4.99 USD
CreaVures 3.40 USD
Anomaly: Warzone Earth 4.99 USD
Cyan Complete 9.99 USD
Drakensang: The River of Time 9.99 USD
A.R.E.S. 4.99 USD
Fortix 2 4.99 USD

Subtotal 106.96 USD

sowy

Sober said:
Just curious, is the Ghostbusters game worth the 6.69$? Looks fairly harmless.

I think it looks good and im a big fan. On the fence as well.

oneils

Great thread! I kind of went crazy this summer sale. Got about $140 in games (17 in total) for myself, and gifted about $35 in games (10 in total) for others.

Today, on the final day, I made myself an "RPG Pack." I haven't played any of them, but this pack contains several games I've been tempted to get at one point or another. The total for 9 games and 1 DLC came to $57.49. That is amazing stuff when considering a new release console game sells for $59.99. So, here goes...

Avencast - $4.99 ($9.99)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46410/

a5d8336f1bc6fbc70180b2926691f89300355aa2.jpg

In a world of wizardry, wonder and untold mystery, you must undertake some of the most diverse quests to hone your skills in spell casting, weaponry and melee combat. Your martial skills are soon put to the test as demonic monsters descend upon Avencast, turning the academy into a state of chaos and destruction.

Arx Fatalis - $4.99 (er, not on sale)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1700/

e7c4e8b68f57f84a75d3802ceaf6e41f93a7fca0.jpg

This critically acclaimed first-person RPG takes the player on an amazing journey into the fantasy world of Arx. The game mixes intelligent story with immersive and actual medieval surroundings. Arx Fatalis allows the player to feel that all his actions have a direct consequence on those around him.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - $7.49 ($9.99)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2100/?snr=1_5_9__13

2a609230a5a9b8a71bd694aa80000915e90c6252.jpg

Discover a new breed of Action-RPG game powered by an enhanced version of the Source™ Engine by Valve. Set in the Might & Magic® universe, players will experience ferocious combat in a dark and immersive fantasy environment. Swords, Stealth, Sorcery. Choose your way to kill.

Dimensity - $4.99 ($9.99)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46720/

f6f15b73d3d1daa832d3f2b6c06ce13fd452e7db.jpg

DIMENSITY is an immersive, intensely paced role-playing / action game in a unique 3D fantasy setting. Adventure through hostile lands and fight numerous enemies in a world torn by war. Be part of plots defending the crown, fighting for the freedom of your people or taking side paths discovering treasures and facing ancient fearsome foes.

Drakensang - $6.79 ($19.99)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/12640/

4f338ba969560da92191af94cde637fc3b6379aa.jpg

Drakensang is a third-person party-based RPG based on the pen & paper role-play rules of The Dark Eye. Drakensang is the first PC game for over 10 years to be based on Germany's most successful and popular role-play system.

Drakensang: The River of Time - $9.99 ($19.99)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33770/

a8e574ec54efa6eef563ef1dfae4fe2706e6e658.jpg

The prequel to Radon Labs' award-winning RPG, Drakensang: The River of Time introduces a brand new story within the Drakensang universe. The new story brings many innovations and new game elements for experienced as well for first time players, who will jump right into the fascinating medieval fantasy RPG scenario of Drakensang: The River Of Time.

Drakensang: Phileasson's Secret - $4.99 ($9.99)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33780/?snr=1_5_9__13

cca92586734d5cc9d80caf2514bea7c7e96e2c8b.jpg

"Phileasson's Secret" continues the popular Drakensang franchise with an epic new chapter. Phileasson is one of the most important characters in the world of "The Dark Eye" and his story is very popular among pen & paper fans, fitting perfectly within the Drakensang series.

Eschalon: Book I - $3.74 ($14.99)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25600/?snr=1_5_9__13

7f78a0deeb14b02383fef3d1362388a2c0362984.jpg

Eschalon: Book I is an old-school role-playing game that will take you across massive outdoor environments and deep into dozens of sprawling dungeons as you seek to uncover the mystery of who you are. It features a tile-built, turn-based game world where the result of absolutely every action is rolled, calculated or statistically determined. Hundreds of items and dozens of creatures await your discovery in this classically inspired RPG.

Eschalon Book II - $4.99 ($19.99)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25620/

02fe6ef1d77d487c482762e8ac0627754db11fc4.jpg

Return to the world of Eschalon in the sequel to 2007's award-winning RPG. The blight of war now threatens all of Eschalon and the only hope for peace lies in the secret of your past. Don't miss this second chapter in the epic Eschalon trilogy given "5 Stars" by RPGWatch and called "immensely appealing" by The Huffington Post.

Hazen - $4.99 ($9.99)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46730/

3f6db7da8e95f623ac95c631a66564c51784378b.jpg

Hazen is an episodic Action/RPG The first episode is named "The Dark Whispers" and will bring some freshness in the world of Hack'n Slash Games. Every single episode will be a "Stand alone" game with enough game-play and high re-play value. Stay tuned in next weeks for more information around "The Dark Whispers" and the news inside the world of Hazen.

epmode

ShironRedshift said:
Don't have a gamepad, so I have no clue how that works for it--sorry that it seems to be giving you so much trouble. I just ignored the prompt to set that up and used the default keyboard controls, which aren't that bad at all:
I'll just unplug my controller and try that instead. With the controller plugged in, keyboard input didn't work at all.

edit: This works. I guess I can just set up Joy2Key if I really want pad support. Thanks!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've always been interested in NightSky but I hear the game looks very pixelated blown up to higher resolutions. Is this true?

Also, some impressions about these would be nice:

I-Fluid
The Path
The Polynomial - Space of the music
Aquaria
The UnderGarden
The Whispered World
The Longest Journey
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (should I bother with the others?)
Syberia (still not convinced on this one, not sure why)

Blizzard

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:
I've always been interested in NightSky but I hear the game looks very pixelated blown up to higher resolutions. Is this true?

Also, some impressions about these would be nice:

I-Fluid
The Path
The Polynomial - Space of the music
Aquaria
The UnderGarden
The Whispered World
The Longest Journey
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (should I bother with the others?)
Syberia (still not convinced on this one, not sure why)
People say good things about the Broken Sword and Syberia games. If you're interested in them the packs have good prices. I got the adventure pack with like 6 point and click/adventure games for $20 including the Syberia games.

TLJ is well respected it seems. Get the pack for the full story and cheap price...I made the mistake of getting them individually and wasted like...$1.20. :(

I played a bit of Aquaria and I should go back to it some day. It's very pretty and like a sidescrolling Metroid game. I seem to recall the music being nice too!

.nimrod

I'm thinking about getting Dogfighter, are there still people playing regularly (europe)?

I liked the demo a lot, but it's no use if there aren't enough people online :/

Gav47

Probably going to pick up Garry's Mod, Bob came in pieces, Greed corp and maybe the Odd box.

Any opinions on System Protocol One?

Valygar

Very great thread, I'm almost sure to buy:
Shatter
Greed Corp

Dont know if I should:
Eschalon I & II
Dwarfs?!

Well, hell, I have Valygar as nickname and avatar, so I'll probably end up buying all of them (save Dwarfs, maybe, the demo will say). But does anyone know how long are the Eschalon games?

And I recommend you guys to buy Jolly Rover, it's the point & click adventure I've enjoyed more since... I don't even remember.

xXJonoXx

Question: If I don't buy Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines for $13 today will a dead girl come kill me in my sleep tomorrow?

Gilby said:
I must know this as well!
I love Qix, and had no idea that's what these games were.
:O I love Qix. Now I have to try the demos for those two games.

EDIT: Gah! Stupid server errors. At least I can download the Fortix 1 demo.

Blizzard

Banned
Feel free to try the Eufloria demo. I tried the Blueberry Garden demo (interesting but I passed on the game) and the Eufloria demo, but I really didn't care for Eufloria. It looks pretty if you zoom in but the gameplay and weird "plot" really didn't attract me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mrgone said:
Ah, fuck. I was hoping to get away without this one :)
Mission success

9rj0r76pni.gif

Blizzard said:
Feel free to try the Eufloria demo. I tried the Blueberry Garden demo (interesting but I passed on the game) and the Eufloria demo, but I really didn't care for Eufloria. It looks pretty if you zoom in but the gameplay and weird "plot" really didn't attract me.
It's phenomenal to zone out to. You know I'm in Mumble with Bus all the time and his magnificent voice acts as a mesmerizing soundtrack to the mesmerizing game.

plc268

Gilby said:
I must know this as well!
I love Qix, and had no idea that's what these games were.

Fortix 2 is essentially the same game as Fortix 1.

They did some cool stuff in Fortix 2, like having to capture keys to unlock doors, but in the end, it's not so much different. Also, the Fortix 1 levels get unlocked in Fortix 2 if you own both. Also visual got a nice face lift in Fortix 2.

It comes down to how much you want to spend. Fortix 2 at $5 is a great value... Fortix 1 is even better at $1. Anyway, AT LEAST get Fortix 1... great game.

Debating whether to buy New Vegas or not.

£9 is a great price, but my plan was to always wait for the GOTY edition so I get all the DLC.

But then the DLC for fallout 3 wasn't great, sooo... Hmm.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
It's phenomenal to zone out to. You know I'm in Mumble with Bus all the time and his magnificent voice acts as a mesmerizing soundtrack to the mesmerizing game.
I could understand this, sure. I think I was actually playing it in respawn times during TF2, it was so slow. Maybe that means I wasn't experiencing it properly, but I'll live. :p

Gilby

plc268 said:
Fortix 2 is essentially the same game as Fortix 1.

They did some cool stuff in Fortix 2, like having to capture keys to unlock doors, but in the end, it's not so much different. Also, the Fortix 1 levels get unlocked in Fortix 2 if you own both. Also visual got a nice face lift in Fortix 2.

It comes down to how much you want to spend. Fortix 2 at $5 is a great value... Fortix 1 is even better at $1. Anyway, AT LEAST get Fortix 1... great game.

Thanks for the info, I'll probably get both then and play 1's levels in 2.

About Eufloria: how different is it from the freeware version (Dyson)?

Yanksfan

I don't know if it has been mentioned a lot and I have missed it, or there is just no interest, but for those that want the old school Fallout game on Steam, the bundle is on sale for $10.

You get:

• Fallout
  • Fallout 2
  • Fallout Tactics

I am sure GOG has beaten it in price before, but I know there are some people that prefer Steam to anything else, so thought it was worth mentioning.

Kamaki

I posted this in the summer sale thread but it either moves to fast or no one knows the answer so I thought I'd post it here. Does anyone know if they fixed up the Oddbox? I know when it came it was kind of a mess. Mostly interested in Strangers Wrath as I always wanted to play it but that was the one with the most problems if I remember correctly.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
faceless007 said:
Anyone know anything about Caster? It's only $1 so it would probably be a good addition to the thread. Looks purty.

It's worth $1. It's pretty weird, like a really incredibly low budget Ulililililia aspergers version of a 3d Mega Man meets stupid flying anime bullshit, but I had an unusually high amount of fun playing it anyway.

Top Bottom