• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lately, I am a little worried about the processing power of PS5/series X. Am I alone?

Anime-Vix

I am a huge fan of graphics technology in games but is undeniable for me how much more pleasurable Is to play games at 60fps instead of 30fps, specially games with first person view and games that require aim.

Today I was playing the campaign of Crossfire X and it feels really terrible in 30fps, like if the game is almost in slow down.
Even loving the feel of 60fps, I had to play Ratchet and clank, Miles Morales, guardians of the galaxy, forza horizon 5, all in graphics mode because honestly the 60FPS version had always big trades in visuals.

Now with even digital foundry thinking that is better to play Forbidden West in graphics mode because of the lack in image in the performance mode, I am really getting worried about the power of this new consoles.

Dont get me wrong, the games nowadays are beautiful for me, but honestly, apart from that demo of hellblade 2 ( that looks clearly a 30fps game for me), I am really not seeing some really new rendering revolution, apart from the so hyped ray tracing, that justifies so many restrictions for this games running in 60fps with the visuals of the graphics mode.

I am not a technical guy so, I honestly don’t know what can really be achieved in this new consoles but seeing amazing technical wizards developers like Guerrilla Games, Playground Games, Insomniac and some others having to make sacrifices to make his games run in 60fps is a little worrying in my opinion.

I think I will be totally ok if the games could have graphics mode with ray tracing/30fps and the performance mode being 60fps without ray tracing but with the exactly same other graphical features of the graphics mode but that isn’t happening.

I would love to read more of the more technical guys here of the forum about this.
This machines are really already being pushed to its limits that 60fps is not achievable with the visuals of the Horizon Forbidden West and Forza Horizon 5 in his graphics mode for exemple?

Riky

$MSFT
All we've seen is last gen games on last gen engines so far, if we are still having this discussion in 2 years then we have a problem but it will get better when last gen dies and as far as I can tell at least Microsoft have moved on.
It will get better from here.

MikeM

Nope. We’ve had 120fps games for the first time ever. There is plenty of horsepower under the hood.

Hell, there could be a 3090 equivalent under the hood and devs would still find ways to brute force solutions as opposed to optimizing and coding the solution. My only negative is the terrible RT performance which is really an AMD issue.

zeorhymer

pc-master-race-raymond-sandos.jpg

Fredrik

A mid gen refresh is definitely needed, it was clear when the Matrix UE5 demo dropped. Unstable 30fps at 1080p or whatever in the engine I imagine most devs are now working on.

But as long as they do cross-gen releases things should be fine. And it’s not too shabby, Forza Horizon 5, Horizon Forbidden West, The Ascent, they all look awesome and runs at 60fps.

Neo_game

I think the Matrix UE5 demo was an example what these consoles can do. So games in future will probably have 1440P and 1080P mode. Native 4K will die and they will use some nice upscaling technique. DL2 has 1080p 30fps RT mode. I think this will be the worst case scenario.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not sure what you expected tbh. Of course there will be sacrifices to make a game run at 60 rather than 30. Even if these consoles were 20TF that would still be true, the 30fps modes would just look even better than they do now.

But then some games are just shit technically. The ones that are NOT, like R&C and HFW, still look great at 60, they just (obviously) look even better at 30.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
tvFxujd.gif

But on a more serious note. It really depends what your expectations are.
The consoles are as powerful as they can be @ $499.
When we move out of this cross gen period 60fps will be less common.
But its all about what you expect from this gen, if you expect UE5 style visuals @ 30fps you will be pleased. 60fps games will still look great.

Just look at 60fps games this gen like DOOM, battlefield and COD. WHen those devs implement new technologies im sure even 60fps games will be a considerable step up from last gen.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

There's only so much you can get from 500$ boxes.

What we're getting is in-line with the specs so dunno what you're expecting.

Last edited:
We are not even out of PS4 era yet.

Crossgen garbage is what is holding current gen back.
I'm well aware, but even then I'm disappointed that certain games aren't doing what I hoped the PS5 could have done. The dream for GT7 would be 4K120 with RTX. Give me a PS5 Pro that can actually do that.

There's only so much you can get from 500$ boxes.

What we're getting is in-line with the specs so dunno what you're expecting.
Systems are way too cheap. Some of the cheapest consoles in history adjusted for inflation, which is part of the reason why they keep selling out.

JackSparr0w

Banned
They are equivalent to a 1080ti or a 5700xt from 2017 so not sure what you expected. Still very good for the price.

I really don't think AMD are going to give their chips basically for free to consoles again for a mid gen refresh unless they are already obliged under contract. Times have changed.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Get a PC. Even if these consoles had the power of a 4080ti (non existent for now), you’d still have to compromise because you can’t have max graphics, 4K whatever with max framerate, since the baseline is this console. They have to balance it somehow.
On PC the baseline is weaker hardware, be it weaker/older gpu and/or console so you can max everything including fps.

kyliethicc

I am a huge fan of graphics technology in games but is undeniable for me how much more pleasurable Is to play games at 60fps instead of 30fps, specially games with first person view and games that require aim.

Today I was playing the campaign of Crossfire X and it feels really terrible in 30fps, like if the game is almost in slow down.
Even loving the feel of 60fps, I had to play Ratchet and clank, Miles Morales, guardians of the galaxy, forza horizon 5, all in graphics mode because honestly the 60FPS version had always big trades in visuals.

Now with even digital foundry thinking that is better to play Forbidden West in graphics mode because of the lack in image in the performance mode, I am really getting worried about the power of this new consoles.

Dont get me wrong, the games nowadays are beautiful for me, but honestly, apart from that demo of hellblade 2 ( that looks clearly a 30fps game for me), I am really not seeing some really new rendering revolution, apart from the so hyped ray tracing, that justifies so many restrictions for this games running in 60fps with the visuals of the graphics mode.

I am not a technical guy so, I honestly don’t know what can really be achieved in this new consoles but seeing amazing technical wizards developers like Guerrilla Games, Playground Games, Insomniac and some others having to make sacrifices to make his games run in 60fps is a little worrying in my opinion.

I think I will be totally ok if the games could have graphics mode with ray tracing/30fps and the performance mode being 60fps without ray tracing but with the exactly same other graphical features of the graphics mode but that isn’t happening.

I would love to read more of the more technical guys here of the forum about this.
This machines are really already being pushed to its limits that 60fps is not achievable with the visuals of the Horizon Forbidden West and Forza Horizon 5 in his graphics mode for exemple?

Nothing to worry about baby.

PS5 is more powerful than a RTX 3090.

Even the strongest PC can't run Knack 2, let alone at a locked 60 FPS.

xzIbuom.jpg

A.Romero

No surprise, they are consoles and they are designed to provide the best performance possible within a price point. It's always been like that.

If you want best of class performance without paying for a PC, streaming would be your best option with it's own limitations.

Still early days for both systems give them a few more years and developers would be able to crank out better performance as they gain more knowledge and experience with them. It's how its always been. Don't expect = performance to PC.

Top Bottom