• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lately, I am a little worried about the processing power of PS5/series X. Am I alone?

Swift_Star

Banned
I want more options.

Why can't I have 60fps with nice graphics at 1080p ?

Its everything at 4k or bare bones 60fps.

A few toggles in the menus would be welcome. Give us top graphics, performance and user defined plz!
You have 60fps with nice graphics at 1080p, just stay with a 1080p TV set. I’m still with one and all games look a amazing and crisp clear.

Kagey K

Banned
This a copypasta? I know I've read this OP word for word before.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Nothing to worry about baby.

PS5 is more powerful than a RTX 3090.

Even the strongest PC can't run Knack 2, let alone at a locked 60 FPS.

xzIbuom.jpg
The Knack Knack jokes are getting old.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I'd say "these machines aren't for Ray Tracing!!" ...
... but Ratchet and Clank 40fps mode keeps telling me I'm wrong.

I think it's a matter of developers needing to prioritize different aspects of fidelity and performance very early... which is MUCH more difficult than it sounds.

To make the best looking games possible... how important is polygon count ? What's the ideal trade-off between resolution, performance and fidelity? What's the best upscale method ? What are the most visually effective ways to cheaply use raytracing ? Is the game outdoors, indoors or somewhere else... and what does that mean for what game engine you should select ?

Its almost impossible to get the right answers to all of these questions early in development and properly plan around them.... but as some developers hit the right notes others will take notice.

Now with even digital foundry thinking that is better to play Forbidden West in graphics mode because of the lack in image in the performance mode, I am really getting worried about the power of this new consoles.
Something about this that i feel that has to be said. You are worried about compromises related to 60fps modes now?

Well...last gen we were getting 30fps games since day one with no graphic options allowed and there were barely any 60fps games on console. The fact that even pure next gen games (like Ratchet) are giving us those options since day one is a huge step up from last gen. Trust me, we were a lot more limited last gen in comparison with this one. Hell Xbox One was getting games that weren't even running at 1080p at first.

I don't see how we should be worried. This gen is already delivering and showing much more promise than last and both Xbox Series X and PS5 are much better consoles when released than Xbox One and PS4 were back then.

Also...play Ratchet at 40fps if you can. It feels much smoother than 30fps and no compromises in comparison with 30fps fidelity mode i think.

This gen will be awesome. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Why?

We don’t have many next-gen only games yet, fully taking advantage of the new hardware/software-generated techniques.

Be patient.

Edit: Ratchet & Clank at 60 fps still looks better than most, if not any last-gen game. The same goes for Horizon Forbidden West. We’re taking incremental steps forward.

Last edited:
Dude come on lol

What would the point of a PS5 Pro be if it doesn't at minimum deliver games at 120fps if they run at 60 fps on PS5?

Similarly, any game running at 30fps, I would expect to run at 60 fps on a PS5 Pro.

And I think that should be the answer for people feeling that the PS5 isn't getting great enough looking games because of the focus of 60 fps. These games should do 30 fps on PS5 instead and 60 fps on PS5 Pro.

I am playing:
Vanguard
Halo Infinite
Sea of Thieves
R6 Siege

at 120fps on my 55" TV.

No I'm not worried. I'm more than happy.
None of those games look particularly impressive though.

Show me Ratchet and Clank or Forza Horizon 5 with Raytracing enabled at 120 FPS and I'll be impressed.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nearly every ‘power’ PC user is happy with 1440p resolution and maxing the framerates. For some reason console devs are determined to push resolution at all costs, over framerate, lod, draw distances.

It’ll never change. Buy a PC if you give a shit. It’s extremely frustrating. Especially seeing devs prioritise 1440p 30fps on the Series S instead of 1080p @ 60.

3liteDragon

We're still in the cross-gen phase, people. Once current-gen only titles start coming out, a lot threads will be revisited.

anthony2690

Banned
I got dejavu, I saw this exact thread/post earlier on era.

Now we know OP sees us as second choice.

Also crossfire X doesn't feel good regardless off the fps.

I'm personally really happy with my console, but if you're that bothered about visuals, you could always buy a 3090 and build a beefy pc. :)

Banjo64

cumsessed
I am playing:
Vanguard
Halo Infinite
Sea of Thieves
R6 Siege

at 120fps on my 55" TV.

No I'm not worried. I'm more than happy.
Come back at this point in a year or two and see how many next gen games are 120fps. Now Xbox have stopped their FPS boost campaign it’s going to be slim pickings moving forward.

Sakura

Console manufactures aren't really interested in pushing hardware any more.
The PS3 launched in 2006 for 499 and 599 dollars. That would be 695 and 835 dollars today. And that is with them taking heavy losses on the console, with a bill of materials of around 800 dollars I believe (1100 today).
Now look at how much a PS5 costs, consider the cost to manufacture is a lot closer to the retail price than something like the PS3, and it should come as no surprise that the consoles might feel "underpowered".
Similar story with Xbox (though not as crazy as PS3 costs).

People expecting a massive difference between launch and end of life games, like launch PS3 titles versus The Last of Us, are completely out of it.

In my opinion this is largely a software issue rather than hardware. We just aren't seeing utilisation of next gen features unique to RDNA2 tier GPUs. It's particularly egregious on the Xbox side of things. The reason why is simple too; cross-gen compatibility along with PC and cross console compatibility creates complexity. It's so much easier for developers to not implement the unique features available in the higher end devices for greater compatibility. This is why we haven't seen much or in some cases any use of features like SFS, DirectML, Mesh shading, VRS etc. Not even in exclusives have we seen many of these features utilised. It's just sad.

I am also disappointed by how pathetic these custom gaming chips are. Surely there is a better approach to SOC design than what we have seen? On mobile we see far more dedicated hardware within a chip for accelerating particular tasks. I almost wish we had the old Sony back that was responsible for the CELL. At least it was exciting back then, back compatibility be damned. Why Nintendo is the only manufacturer that has gone down the arm route I have no idea. We have seen what Apple can do in its first attempt at creating a high powered arm based SOC and it's incredible. Maybe I am being unrealistic but I expect far greater leaps that we are seeing.

Zeroing

Banned
I ain’t worried! It wasn’t me who made a presentation boasting to the world that they would make the most powerful console in the world… with tons of fancy words to make it even more hype!

So… what’s the lesson here?

MikeM

Console manufactures aren't really interested in pushing hardware any more.
The PS3 launched in 2006 for 499 and 599 dollars. That would be 695 and 835 dollars today. And that is with them taking heavy losses on the console, with a bill of materials of around 800 dollars I believe (1100 today).
Now look at how much a PS5 costs, consider the cost to manufacture is a lot closer to the retail price than something like the PS3, and it should come as no surprise that the consoles might feel "underpowered".
Similar story with Xbox (though not as crazy as PS3 costs).

People expecting a massive difference between launch and end of life games, like launch PS3 titles versus The Last of Us, are completely out of it.
Still lots of performance being left on the table on current gen consoles.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's 500 USD, go look to PC market, even before pandemic, what does that net you...

Banned
consoles are alway behind within a year or two.
there were exceptions like the 360 that had ATI hardware inside that released 1 year ahead of the PC equivalent but that's rare

ManaByte

rQWb1Ow.gif

So rubbish it's the very best real-time graphical demonstration ever released.
Unless you prefer Marble RTX to an entire city to explore inch by inch, of course.

You have to forgive the people who didn't actually play the demo. I've seen people say it was just a cut scene with no gameplay.

HTK

Banned
Not worried at all, I care more about performance in general 60FPS or 120FPS for shooters while still looking really good. Not to mention there hasn't been a truly next-gen 120fps shooter either, we'll see how Apex Legends Next-Gen Upgrade does, I'm sure it'll be great because the game already looks great.

Also, in 2024 we'll probably see PS5 Pro/Xbox Series X Pro X or some shit.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I am a huge fan of graphics technology in games but is undeniable for me how much more pleasurable Is to play games at 60fps instead of 30fps, specially games with first person view and games that require aim.

Today I was playing the campaign of Crossfire X and it feels really terrible in 30fps, like if the game is almost in slow down.
Even loving the feel of 60fps, I had to play Ratchet and clank, Miles Morales, guardians of the galaxy, forza horizon 5, all in graphics mode because honestly the 60FPS version had always big trades in visuals.

Now with even digital foundry thinking that is better to play Forbidden West in graphics mode because of the lack in image in the performance mode, I am really getting worried about the power of this new consoles.

Dont get me wrong, the games nowadays are beautiful for me, but honestly, apart from that demo of hellblade 2 ( that looks clearly a 30fps game for me), I am really not seeing some really new rendering revolution, apart from the so hyped ray tracing, that justifies so many restrictions for this games running in 60fps with the visuals of the graphics mode.

I am not a technical guy so, I honestly don’t know what can really be achieved in this new consoles but seeing amazing technical wizards developers like Guerrilla Games, Playground Games, Insomniac and some others having to make sacrifices to make his games run in 60fps is a little worrying in my opinion.

I think I will be totally ok if the games could have graphics mode with ray tracing/30fps and the performance mode being 60fps without ray tracing but with the exactly same other graphical features of the graphics mode but that isn’t happening.

I would love to read more of the more technical guys here of the forum about this.
This machines are really already being pushed to its limits that 60fps is not achievable with the visuals of the Horizon Forbidden West and Forza Horizon 5 in his graphics mode for exemple?
Well at 60fps you have only half the time to render graphics compared to 30fps and this is why we'll start to see more 30fps games as we get out of the crossgen phase

Current generation games will look really good but a lot of them will be 30fps

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I am not a technical guy so, I honestly don’t know what can really be achieved in this new consoles but seeing amazing technical wizards developers like Guerrilla Games, Playground Games, Insomniac and some others having to make sacrifices to make his games run in 60fps is a little worrying in my opinion.
Such a weird and honestly bad take, you think performance is just free?
It literally doesn't matter if these machines had triple the TF, depending on what you want to do in the game, double or quadruple framerate is going to cost you in another area.
This has always been the case and will continue to be so, even with upgraded hardware or future systems.

Performance isn't free; temper you (weird/unreasonable) expectations.

Dream-Knife

Banned
You're not alone. I want a PS5 Pro already.
It'll be hampered to the base console.

What happened to 2020 where everyone was so excited with how powerful the consoles were? Same thing will happen to a PS5 pro or PS6. If you really feel this way you should build a PC and upgrade your GPU every year or two.
We are not even out of PS4 era yet.

Crossgen garbage is what is holding current gen back.
Usually older games run better than newer more demanding games on a given hardware.
Nearly every ‘power’ PC user is happy with 1440p resolution and maxing the framerates. For some reason console devs are determined to push resolution at all costs, over framerate, lod, draw distances.

It’ll never change. Buy a PC if you give a shit. It’s extremely frustrating. Especially seeing devs prioritise 1440p 30fps on the Series S instead of 1080p @ 60.
I think the problem is 1440p isn't a native resolution for a TV. Your average Joe has a 4k TV, and sub-native resolutions look bad.

Also this is an enthusiast site. Average people don't care about 30 fps in a cinematic 3rd person action game, or above 60 in COD.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Also this is an enthusiast site. Average people don't care about 30 fps in a cinematic 3rd person action game, or above 60 in COD.
Friend of mine bought Cold war last year so we could play some zombies together.
When booting it up I told him to disable raytracing and enable 120hz.
First thing he said in voice chat:
"...hey, uh, what's going on, it's like haha, it's like super smooth or something; is this 120fps?
"yeah"
"haha shit, this is crazy....ngl this is the first time I've seen it and it's impressive"
"Welcome to 120fps, the true next-gen"
"yeah, haha goddamn".

Guy is not an "enthusiast" at all, I don't think stating that "average" people don't care is correct, most might simply not have experienced it.

Top Bottom