• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Nintendo Switch Firmware provides Switch Pro Details

Mr Moose

Is it something like this?

v1oz

Realtek SOC
Realtek RTD2999 is the lastest 4K HDR Smart TV SoC based on 64bit Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 with high performance 3D GPU, runs Android 5.0, with HDMI2.0 and HDCP2.2, it support all most the video decoding include: VP9 4K@60fps, HEVC 10bits 4K@60fps, HDR10 Dolby vision. It also include DVB Soc with embedded universal demodulator for all the regions include DVB-T, ATSC, ISDB-T, DTMB.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
My biggest problem with the switch are the joycon controllers. I like to use it mobile and they are absolute shit compared to DS4 and xbox controllers. Completely worthless for shooters. Honestly Nintendo hasn't made a good controller in forever. Nothing they put out is ergonomic, or laid out perfectly, like the DS4 or xbox controllers.

Last edited:

FrankCaron

Switch Pro being available as an add-on (just buy the dock for your current Switch) and a new Lite++ (with TV Out) fixed handheld version bundle with the dock as two separate SKUs makes a ton of sense, imo.
  • Hardest of hardcore buy the full bundle with trade in of existing or second, or third, Switch
  • Net new folks buy either the new bundle or the old switch (with $50 price drop from current price point)
  • Existing casuals who want the bump or existing hardcore who only play docked just buy the dock Sega 32X style

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
My biggest problem with the switch are the joycon controllers. I like to use it mobile and they are absolute shit compared to DS4 and xbox controllers. Completely worthless for shooters. Honestly Nintendo hasn't made a good controller in forever. Nothing they put out is ergonomic, or laid out perfectly, like the DS4 or xbox controllers.

They fixed this for you. Worth it, changes the whole experience.

buDDfGg.jpg

Woopah

So, do we reckon that Nintendo will show off the PowerSwitch at E3 this year?
Nintendo doesn't tend to reveal hardware revisions at E3. I expect just a random video drop in July with a September release date (possibly alongside BOTW2)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
omfg just release a more power switch FFS man
they device has been lacking power to play games 100% from the very start

CamHostage

The 4K docked was predictable, but I was really hoping for a 1080p screen.

720p on a 7" screen isn't a problem IMO, but I really would have liked the portable hardware to increase a bit just to handle framerate and bandwidth and technical features. (We've been talking about DLSS to render small and then pump up the quality big for performance gains without actually increasing into next-gen hardware demands.) Putting all the improvements of a Switch Pro into just a Pro Dock with the same old Switch doesn't do much for me.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Unless they release a model with smaller bezels for a larger screen, better battery life, and better SoC from Nvidia, I don't care. I'll otherwise happily keep my OG Switch until it dies.

Komatsu

Incredible that in 2020, Nintendo still won't do the bare minimum to move forward within the Nvidia tegra line. Parker (Tegra X2) is four years old and they are still sticking to the X1 210/214 (Mariko), a SOC that was already outdated when the Switch came out. Parker is full back comp with the X-1 and its Pascal-based GPU is aeons better than the X1's.

This is not the SNES or the GameCube, in which third party components (or in the case of the Cube, specifically designed third party chips) sat on top of proprietary boards. The Switch is a Nvidia SOC wrapped up in a different type plastic and with specifically made mounts for video output and control.

No major R&D outlay required. Just change the board and make minute adjustments to your firmware.

cryptoadam

Banned
Pretty much what I am expecting. Some over clocks, maybe if lucky some extra or faster memory. They aren't going to make a machine that will make all the switches out there outdated.

Expect an announcement some time around March as Nintendo will not want to disturb any sales of switch especially with MH:R launching in Japan before fiscal year is over.

Xellos

Higher clocked Tegra X1+ would be a Gamecube->Wii style upgrade. Could be OK depending on how much higher the CPU/GPU frequencies are, and OLED is going to be a big upgrade over IPS. I wonder if it really is the exact same TX1+ or if it's being moved to 7nm.

We need to drop this stupid Pro name. Why? Because there is a PS4 Pro. Call it the Super Switch or something.

I like Switch Deluxe.

Last edited:
Incredible that in 2020, Nintendo still won't do the bare minimum to move forward within the Nvidia tegra line. Parker (Tegra X2) is four years old and they are still sticking to the X1 210/214 (Mariko), a SOC that was already outdated when the Switch came out. Parker is full back comp with the X-1 and its Pascal-based GPU is aeons better than the X1's.

This is not the SNES or the GameCube, in which third party components (or in the case of the Cube, specifically designed third party chips) sat on top of proprietary boards. The Switch is a Nvidia SOC wrapped up in a different type plastic and with specifically made mounts for video output and control.

No major R&D outlay required. Just change the board and make minute adjustments to your firmware.
That would cost Nintendos bottom line

TLZ

Banned
I hope it's a quality upscaler if this is true.

I know this is offtopic, but I would love if they added 3DS bc somehow.

I don't care about 4k on ps5/xbx/pc so don't care if switch would have that as my 55in looks fine in 1080p along with my pc 144hz 27in ips monitor. Switch games would look bad on 4k.

What I care about is the switch having room for larger cheaper storage more games hitting native res with no fps drops, and high battery life. I traded OG switch in for v2 just to get the double battery power and it was well worth it.

Last edited:

Intoxicate

I don't care about 4k on ps5/xbx/pc so don't care if switch would have that as my 55in looks fine in 1080p along with my pc 144hz 27in ips monitor. Switch games would look bad on 4k.
Even 720p games looks fine on my 75” 4K display. It 720 x 2160, 1080 x 2 2160, perfect integer scaling.

The main benefit of the latest TV generations are contrast and colors not resolution. That and reduced lag.

Halo0629

Switch is nearing 4 years old. They might as well just make a new console than a pro version at this point.

Pantz

Gold Member
I'd like them to keep developing games targeted for the Switch but put out a home console/dock that can play the games in up to 4k if they have the option and more stable frame rates. Similar to what Xbox does between their different consoles, same game but higher resolutions/stable frame rates on the more powerful hardware. It seems like it wouldn't take that much hardware to play most Switch games at 4K if they started adding options for that in the games.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

They literally can’t keep Switch in stock in most countries. 70 million and counting. 99% of people are happy with the way games run on the system.

Ten_Fold

Damn, thought they was gonna push for ps4 level graphics. Seems it just has 4K an that’s about it, even the screen is 720p. If that’s real I’m certain plenty will be disappointed.

clem84

Gold Member
The extra chip on the dock to enable 4K doesn't mean the unit itself could not also be upgraded. A slightly more powerful 1080 Switch with a dock that outputs 4K would be all I need.

That is not a Pro at all. Sure an OLED is nice, but its still 720p in handheld mode and still uses that sub 400 Gflops SoC.

AndrewRyan

The resolution is fine for the screen size but 30fps or less is not. I've stopped buying fps games and hoping for a Pro that at least makes the current ones run at 60fps.

Moochi

After seeing what the Snapdragon XR2 chip is capable in the oculus quest 2, I think 1440p flat is easily doable in Switch XL or pro. I've been playing some Virtual Boy on my quest and I think it would be mad if Nintendo just copied Quest's inside out tracking and released their own Switch VR system that docks with the Switch Pro, can do mobile gaming, and be a moderate upgrade for docked.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I just want a console version, I never ever used it as a handheld. That's the only way they could boost their current games to 4k anyway.

Zannegan

We all know we're gonna get "NEW Nintendo Switch"
I'm hoping for "Switch +" myself, especially if it's a limited upgrade as these rumors suggest, but you're probably right.

I wonder what color box they'll use to mitigate the confusion this time. Black?

I think you guys are looking at this wrong. The Switch could never output to TV without the dock. The previous dock was limited to 1080p. The new dock supports 4K output. The new Switch will obviously have internal hardware that can push the image quality of games past 1080p. Possibly using DLSS.
Yeah, keep dreaming

More likely it is dock with new chip that allows 4k output, so it just upscales same 540-1080p to 4k output

Tegra is too slow for anything else and Nintendo doest like to spend extra money

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Sub 720p with shitty DRS and TAA upscaled to 4K screen and all of this on the same Mariko SOC? Get the fuck out Nintendo. If it's not home console only version of Switch at least as powrful as PS4 Pro, I'm not interested.

Top Bottom