• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lead Writer Sam Maggs confirms that Rivet is canonically a lesbian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaming is an escape from everyday life. Why this information even matters in a video game is beyond me, especially if it's not pivotal to the story. Also, leave my kid's out of it, they don't need to be weaponized for someone else's agenda.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

If you meet me IRL all the actions I take and things that I say make it seem like I'm straight, but I'm actually canonically a lesbian.

When she cries in meetings about a video game character being cut 🚩🚩🚩

Exactly, imagine how many male/sane developers through the years have had characters they created and loved for years cut well into development for a myriad of reasons, what do you think the chance is that they cried for hours in their offices about it? Or walked around the office shouting crass words and making everyone feel uncomfortable.

These sorts of people need to be dragged out of the premises by the arm/ear and have their access cards cut up in front of them, bye bitch!

Last edited:
1*cG7RFkPa1G5unAcMUmNwKA.jpeg

PhaseJump

Banned
People are getting banned on Resetera for refusing to confirm to gender pronouns.

Like I give a fuck about your pronouns, bitch.

It's worse than that. I mean, Resetera be damned. Compelled speech around pronoun use has been tabled in an effort to become a legal requirement with consequences in Ontario, where the lunatic writer here hails from.

NonPhixion

Being upset that a fictional Alien reassembles a woman but then saying it's sexual preference is that of one many women share is most back asswards shit I've heard. It's a fictional alien.

OZ9000

Banned
It's worse than that. I mean, Resetera be damned. Compelled speech around pronoun use has been tabled in an effort to become a legal requirement with consequences in Ontario, where the lunatic writer here hails from.
A legal requirement? What would the consequences be?

Does this mean I can demand people refer to me as 'Lord and Saviour' because this is my preferred 'pronoun' or 'title'?

Hell, this may also have consequences with people adopting the Dr title when they aren't even Doctors.

Kdad

A legal requirement? What would the consequences be?

Does this mean I can demand people refer to me as 'Lord and Saviour' because this is my preferred 'pronoun' or 'title'?

Hell, this may also have consequences with people adopting the Dr title when they aren't even Doctors.

Notabueno

Banned
I hope Insomniac will get in trouble for hiring this SJW social predator that is Sam Maggs, who became famous for being on TV saying she was raped in GTA (yeah that's her).

There should be more serious consequences for studios hiring toxic, unstable and entitled SJW without merit, so I'll support her on Twitter so that Insomniac gets into trouble.

Doomtrain

I hate this notion this lady has of "I didn't get my way, so I spent every day crying at the office." "They didn't design the character how I wanted, so my boss is a misogynist."

This idea of "someone didn't implement my idea/design a character how I wanted/etc., THEREFORE SEXISM" is so dumb. That's not how working on a large-scale project works. On any given game, you're working with a team of anywhere from a dozen to several hundred other people. Every single day, many of those people are going to have and pitch various ideas. The director's job is to be the primary vision-holder of the project, and they have the final say on which ideas make the cut or not. I've personally worked on games where I've pitched ideas that I sincerely loved and carefully thought through, and the director shot them down, and that's fine and normal.

It could be for any number of reasons: maybe the director just didn't like the idea as much as I did. Maybe we didn't have the time or the budget to implement it. Maybe it didn't fit the director's vision for the game. Maybe it conflicted with other aspects of the project. Maybe the director just listened to ten other people pitch ideas, and they just currently have more important work to do that doesn't involve humoring everyone else on the team. Sometimes it's worth fighting for those ideas, and sometimes not. At the end of the day, it's no one's call BUT the director's, and if you're not the director, you shouldn't expect every one of your ideas to make the cut.

On a AAA game with hundreds of people involved, on any given day, the director is likely listening to, and having to reject, dozens of random ideas from various people. This is normal and it's the only possible way game development could function. This idea that suddenly, it's a problem if a woman's idea gets rejected, and that it somehow means sexism is happening, is delusional and shows a huge lack of understanding as to how games are actually made. COULD it be sexism if a woman doesn't get heard? Sure, it's possible. Sexism does exist and shitty directors exist. But on average, in an environment where dozens of men are also having ideas rejected every single day, it's not the first conclusion anyone should jump to.

pqueue

God. If i was her manager, I would have fired her for being an emotional wreck if she was constantly going about crying in the office.

and would have been 100% in the right to do so, since being an emotional wreck is not a protected class, and she is a self-serving attention whore and a distraction to the team.

Last edited:
Maybe the next Ratchet game will ditch him entirely and feature Rivet's scissor sister! They can fashion Clank into a strap-on!

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
So odd that a single person involved in the creation of a character thinks they are the sole decision maker over said characters attributes, she sounds delusional.

Javthusiast

Banned
It is freeing not to follow all this shit on twitter and instead only use it for lewd cosplayers and artists. My notifications are nothing but culture.

Aaron Olive

“Lead Writer Sam Maggs confirms that Rivet is canonically a lesbian”

Why though?? Its a Game for kids, and from further reading about her Twitter spiel she needs to go away from the keyboard and writing, she be ego cray cray.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well see...that's the problem right there...

Get your new GAF signature on all your posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Him/He/Hung - Call me.
Okay should we cancel scientists until they add an extra chromosome also? They must add colors to it also and focused dark blue.

gow3isben

Also this wacko has no authority to claim Rivet is lesbian she is not part of Insomniac. Rivet's orientation is currently undisclosed and frankly irrelevant thank you very much.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Also this wacko has no authority to claim Rivet is lesbian she is not part of Insomniac. Rivet's orientation is currently undisclosed and frankly irrelevant thank you very much.
If you google her, she's a big time supporter of gay and lesbian rights. She's openly bi too.

Well you know how it goes for loud political people. Got to stake a claim regarding personal politics to boost their mindset.

Ozzie666

Does anyone think about the kids anymore? First Sponge Bob and now this? I fear for humanities future, even more so now.
Maybe leave it up to the players interpretation? like a good novel? Eventually these type of things lose their impact on the masses. Some hills are worth dying on, this isn't one of them.

SeraphJan

What's next Mario is gay? Link is bisexual?

I have nothing against LGBT, but why are they trying to gain attention so much more than they needed? To the point even these cartoony video game character can't escape their agenda.

My comment is probably going to get myself banned in place like ResetEra, but whatever, a place that does not respect my freedom of speech does not worth my time.

This feeling of afraid of speaking ones own mind in a honest way, reminds my of "thought crime" in Soviet Communism, and this feeling is terrifying.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What's next Mario is gay? Link is bisexual?

I have nothing against LGBT, but why are they trying to gain attention so much more than they needed? To the point even these cartoony video game character can't escape their agenda.

My comment is probably going to get myself banned in place like ResetEra, but whatever, a place that does not respect my freedom of speech does not worth my time.

This feeling of afraid of speaking ones mind in a honest way, reminds my of "thought crime" in Soviet Communism
I’m waiting for Tommy Tallarico to tell gamers whether the Intellivision running man is gay.

There’s got to be some video gaming sexuality activist employee needing to specify for the gaming community that info.

And when that is told, all gamers can breathe a sigh of relief with morale boosted +10 pts.

Last edited:

tassletine

Given the context of the original source - the question now becomes - is it really true that Rivet is a lesbian? (not that I honestly really give a damn... I'm just watching the self destruction and immolation of someone on twitter with feigned interest)...
I'm the same. Like it matters anyway. Completely superficial given that they're videogame characters and alien animals to boot.

Nothing "idea" doesn't get listened to because it's nothing. Lady fights for nothing. Harasses her employers by crying at her desk over nothing.
Still complains about her idea like it's meaningful to try and harass her employers over nothing. Talk about digging in.

Imagine crying about that, imagine admitting you cried over your desk about the gender of a made up alien videogame character, even after it was successful.

She has nothing to offer. I can't believe these people are even employed.

Papacheeks

Banned
Actually they do. Have you seen it on Era? Is literally the opposite of this thread.

Actually a lot of them are seeing now Maggs was kind of all about herself, and some of them are developers on era or know the medium well that its not about one person's view but a collaborative effort. She wanted her politics and view points to shine in the character. Rest of the studio disagreed. End of story.

But she makes it out like she is the victim, and now that other people at the studio have spoken up it's now apparent she was shouting loud to get her way. Nothing was lost. Glad the studio stood their ground. And them standing their ground does not make it a toxic place to work like Era thinks it is.

NOTICE no one at Insomniac is talking about ERA nor anyone who was on ERA from the studio is saying shit.

Dane

Actually a lot of them are seeing now Maggs was kind of all about herself, and some of them are developers on era or know the medium well that its not about one person's view but a collaborative effort. She wanted her politics and view points to shine in the character. Rest of the studio disagreed. End of story.

But she makes it out like she is the victim, and now that other people at the studio have spoken up it's now apparent she was shouting loud to get her way. Nothing was lost. Glad the studio stood their ground. And them standing their ground does not make it a toxic place to work like Era thinks it is.

NOTICE no one at Insomniac is talking about ERA nor anyone who was on ERA from the studio is saying shit.
Yeah noticed that after few pages when an Insomniac developer explained who gave the name and defended the lead designer, Maggs and the other two are rude and you can notice by the style these people write their tweets, they are showing to be mean people who wants to scream their way to get their ideas approved, this is toxic culture.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Yeah noticed that after few pages when an Insomniac developer explained who gave the name and defended the lead designer, Maggs and the other two are rude and you can notice by the style these people write their tweets, they are showing to be mean people who wants to scream their way to get their ideas approved, this is toxic culture.
There was still the passive aggressive nature towards the developer who Maggs chastised for using the word derp in their own bio describing themselves, and referenced her in later tweets as an intern. She's not an intern and she would have seen it as its written beside derp it said she is a dev.

The non asshole is the one still in a job. Funny how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom