• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaving behind the genre of my youth (RPGs) and embracing something different (FPS)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Japanese style RPGs seem to be still around.

But back in the day, they were all turnbased with those giant blue text bubbles. WRPGs were similar back then being mostly turnbased too. But WRPGs changed up faster to action and 3D faster. It's amazing that decades ago just about every RPG was grid based and turnbased.

Now most RPGs arent turnbased games anymore.

As for FPS, a great mode some have is offline bot mode too. So if you dont want to jump in against lobbies who have all been playing for months, just dabble with offline mode. If a game has bot mode, it should let you customize the game how ever you want. Sometimes it's just fun to put all enemies at rookie and you and your AI team slaughters them.

Last edited:

Himuro

Then you should have made a thread asking about FPS games and why you are enjoying them, instead of a thread dedicated to bashing and dismissing an entire genre.
Because it fucking matters to me and my mindset.

"Why not both?"

Nah.

Why? Because for years I had Xenoblade Chronicles on my list of RPGs to play. It seems good but then I buy it and I can only get past the intro before losing interest.

It's a time and a money thing. I think it's very important as an aging gamer to know what you like and what you can stomach so you don't waste your time. I realize now that I'm tired of buying modern RPGs and not sticking with them while enjoying other genres and I'm sorry that revelation triggers you so much.

I look at games list on my switch now and it fucking frees me. I no longer have to pretend to be interested in Xenoblade 3. Just like how I don't like 2d Sonic it's freeing to not have to even consider purchasing Sonic Origins because I know I won't like it and I can play something I will like Skate 3 or THPS 1+2 instead.

By defining what I no longer want to play anymore I establish what I DO want to play and it makes me more inquisitive in seeing what's out there.

Himuro

Real talk I'm glad I slept on this genre.

So much to experience. Wow.

Then there's stuff like Soma.

It has the dark stuff, immersive stuff RPGs have long abandoned. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I miss a good party turn based combat system, but you are right that doesn’t seem to be coming back except in indie games.
They are catering to Gen z, not to us old heads, unfortunately. And those Gen zers want animie, pop, flair and mindless action, not turn based, choice and substance.

Luckily indies, especially on pc are taking the place, example crystal project.

cireza

Banned
By reading your description it looks like you entirely skipped SEGA, while their consoles actually received a ton of fantastic RPGs. They were a driving force for genre.

TheTony316

You don't get it. Jrpgs are fucking dead like @Xeaker said. Even the next Valkyrie Profile is an action rpg in a franchise that had historically unique gameplay. They have sacrificed the entire genre for popular appeal.

These are my opinions but Witcher 3 isn't an RPG and Persona 5 sucks balls. I was such a rabid fan of Persona 3 someone gave it the name Himusona 3 when discussing it and I waited almost a decade for that dog shit of a shit. Never played Disco Elysium.

Looks like the problem is on you and not on the genre being "dead", lol.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Sure. Why not?
Those games are trash.
A 75 - 80 Average score over a long running series is far far from trash...........or is this the usual NeoGAF logic of if a game doesnt score ~90 it is immediately trash.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Jrpgs doesnt need turns to be good.

YS VIII is an action Jrpg, with capital J, and is the best the genre has to offer.

Chastten

Banned
Half of those 'Golden Age' PSX/PS2 era JRPG's people here claim as awesome were very average at the time if you weren't a young teenager in those days... nostalgia is a powerfgul thing

PhaseJump

Banned
A 75 - 80 Average score over a long running series is far far from trash...........or is this the usual NeoGAF logic of if a game doesnt score ~90 it is immediately trash.

Weeaboos give games a 10 out of 10 for making them feel teenager bullshit all the time. Why should I care at all about review scores?

This is the logic and opinion of someone playing JRPGS for close to 40 years, who has seen that subpar bullshit series come out and lean toward the mediocre waifu anime trash niche that now runs rampant in the genre. All while the better game franchises died or changed into crap.

Low budget degenerate trash. Get off my lawn.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Weeaboos give games a 10 out of 10 for making them feel teenager bullshit all the time. Why should I care at all about review scores?

This is the logic and opinion of someone playing JRPGS for close to 40 years, who has seen that subpar bullshit series come out and lean toward the mediocre waifu anime trash niche that now runs rampant in the genre. All while the better game franchises died or changed into crap.

hrvyeMHUTTmUBPScY_nSut-lNIMt2B2ryUGJqjumo-4.jpg

Himuro

Welcome to the big dogs OP. You made the right choice. As a reminder to everyone:

Alpha Male Genres
- FPS
- Racing
- Fighting
- Non-Nintendo Platforming

Beta Male Genres
- RPG
- Strategy
- Stealth
- Nintendo Platforming
I still love and play Nintendo.

By reading your description it looks like you entirely skipped SEGA, while their consoles actually received a ton of fantastic RPGs. They were a driving force for genre.
I grew up with Sega and I'm well aware of Sega RPGs but they've been kinda dead since Skies of Arcadia. I also never found Sega RPGs as good as everyone else's.

YS VIII is an action Jrpg, with capital J, and is the best the genre has to offer.
Ys has always been the king of action RPGs. They get a pass and are generally fun as shit. I would never abandon Ys and would greatly like to catch up on them.

Ys has always been the king of action RPGs. They get a pass and are generally fun as shit. I would never abandon Ys and would greatly like to catch up on them.

Based!!

Last edited:

Griffon

Himuro Himuro On xbox give Perfect Dark Remaster (not Zero) a try, it's a timeless classic and the remaster is excellently done.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Sega negates itself. We get a handful of Valkyria Chronicles games, and then they make sure we also get to suffer garbage like Valkyria Revolution and Shining Resonance Refrain.

It's like how tri-Ace and Square Enix are still pumping out Star Ocean games that are absolute, low quality garbage.

Because it fucking matters to me and my mindset.

"Why not both?"

Nah.

Why? Because for years I had Xenoblade Chronicles on my list of RPGs to play. It seems good but then I buy it and I can only get past the intro before losing interest.

It's a time and a money thing. I think it's very important as an aging gamer to know what you like and what you can stomach so you don't waste your time. I realize now that I'm tired of buying modern RPGs and not sticking with them while enjoying other genres and I'm sorry that revelation triggers you so much.

You are the one clearly triggered here. I don't care what games you play, but your entire "discussion" here is just bitching about a genre, being told exactly what you are looking for to get back into said genre and then dismissing everyone outright.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I once ate frozen pizzas almost every day for a month.
It was weird (and no, I wasn't pregnant or smoking weed).
Can't eat frozen pizzas anymore since then.
True story.

I think you just had too much of a good thing Himuro Himuro . That's normal.
RPGs are by far my favourite genre, but I never exclusively play them. I usually have 4-5 games that I play at any point in time (in rotation, of course, not all at once ;) ) and only 1-2 of them tend to be RPGs.
1-2 hours at a time, then move on to the next. Works for me, anyway.

You might be more the type to get really into a genre and stick to it for a while.

Also, very strong hint if you want to keep your interest in a genre up:
Indies. Or small-mid-sized devs.

That's where the innovation, the true love and attention to detail (of gameplay, which is what matters in games) and the beautiful ideas are.
This is also why you like the older ones so much. It's not just nostalgia. Back then, there were only indies, there was no by-the-numbers-AAA-aim-at-mainstream yet. there was also much less copy-paste design.
It was all just a bunch of guys loving what they are doing and you can still see and feel that in many games of that era.

Another reason is that genres tend to change over time.
"Modern" RPGs is also something I only rarely get into, as they tend to have the depth of a puddle with the breadth of an ocean (see Skyrim, for example).
Thankfully, indies and small-ish devs carry the torch with more classically styled games, so I'm more than good on that front.
FPS definitely changed the most.
All those modern FPS (and sometimes third person, too)? CoD? GoW? Boring as hell, take cover, pop out to shoot, they put me to sleep.
Stopped playing FPS almost entirely for years - thankfully, now we have a resurrection of good, action-laden, fast-paced FPS thanks to indies and some high-production pearls like Doom 2016. They put out more good games than I could play even if I wasn't working.

Last edited:
How old are you?
I never wanted to ditch one genre for another.
I just played both.

Depends on the genre I guess. I use to always be playing shooters and a little bit of RPG but since getting older I've noticed I don't have the energy to play them and moved to playing a lot of driving games just because they more chill at the end of a day.

Himuro

I once ate frozen pizzas almost every day for a month.
It was weird (and no, I wasn't pregnant or smoking weed).
Can't eat frozen pizzas anymore since then.
True story.

I think you just had too much of a good thing Himuro Himuro . That's normal.
RPGs are by far my favourite genre, but I never exclusively play them. I usually have 4-5 games that I play at any point in time (in rotation, of course, not all at once ;) ) and only 1-2 of them tend to be RPGs.
1-2 hours at a time, then move on to the next. Works for me, anyway.

You might be more the type to get really into a genre and stick to it for a while.

Also, very strong hint if you want to keep your interest in a genre up:
Indies. Or small-mid-sized devs.

That's where the innovation, the true love and attention to detail (of gameplay, which is what matters in games) and the beautiful ideas are.
This is also why you like the older ones so much. It's not just nostalgia. Back then, there were only indies, there was no by-the-numbers-AAA-aim-at-mainstream yet. there was also much less copy-paste design.
It was all just a bunch of guys loving what they are doing and you can still see and feel that in many games of that era.

Another reason is that genres tend to change over time.
"Modern" RPGs is also something I only rarely get into, as they tend to have the depth of a puddle with the breadth of an ocean (see Skyrim, for example).
Thankfully, indies and small-ish devs carry the torch with more classically styled games, so I'm more than good on that front.
FPS definitely changed the most.
All those modern FPS (and sometimes third person, too)? CoD? GoW? Boring as hell, take cover, pop out to shoot, they put me to sleep.
Stopped playing FPS almost entirely for years - thankfully, now we have a resurrection of good, action-laden, fast-paced FPS thanks to indies and some high-production pearls like Doom 2016. They put out more good games than I could play even if I wasn't working.

I appreciate the post but this is a massive assumption . It's not that RPGs were the only genre I played so much as they were my favorite genre or main genre. You don't know my gaming history and to be fair you have no reason to. But RPGs are not the only I played. I enjoy an eclectic assortment of games. I've transitioned to primarily play fighting and platformers but the itch for an RPG was always near. Despite getting older I just couldn't let it go. It's hard letting go of your favorite genre and I think for so long it's why I couldn't enjoy games as much anymore. It's like, if you can't enjoy your favorite genre then do you even like games? It creates an interesting dilemma.

What's interesting is that when I played older RPGs I never played before and were new to me like Earthbound, which I played a few years back (and replayed as of recent) I have a blast and the old love comes back. I realize now it's the modern approach to RPGs that I personally dislike and that I should probably just not bother to continuously give them an opportunity.

This opens doors for me to check out things I used to not like. I used to not like Halo but I'm loving my time with Halo 2. I used to not like Gears of War but I'm really liking it as I replay it.

For a good comparison assume I'm Mike from Red Letter Media and we are talking about Star Trek. It's not that Mike only watched Star Trek. On the contrary, his palette is wide encompassing. But it's Trek was far and beyond his favorite and it kind of depresses him he can't get into modern Trek which makes him come off as more cynical and more of a curmudgeon. I've been that way for years towards gaming because I'm not getting my back scratched. There have been exceptions (mostly soulsborne) but they remain exceptions. I'm tired of being cynical all the time. It must be shitty even dealing with me. Other people hate me because of my cynicism and my surly sophistry. I dislike that part of myself so in order to avoid being an old bitter man I'm choosing to adapt. If I don't like modern RPGs why expose myself to them? Fuck them. I'll play something else and try to be to a more positive and contributing person that I used to be that people actually like again.

I have an old friend. He loves Spider-Man. To him Spider-Man is dead though. He doesn't bother with new Spidey comics. He will watch the movies but that's about it. He no longer wants to invest in the comics especially after they threw away decades of material by undoing Peter and MJ's marriage. That's me and Final Fantasy. I actually feel negative feelings when I watch the FFXVI trailer. I don't like having these negative feelings. It's best that I pack it up and accept that my ride with Final Fantasy and RPGs as a whole is over. We had a good run.

Does this make sense?

Is this himuro from 2006?
The very same. Sup Santa.

Last edited:
Top Bottom