• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain: Crystal Dynamics says it ‘hears fans loud and clear’ after ‘100k+’ survey responses

Draugoth

Gold Member
legacy-of-kain-e1616762544939-1280x736.jpg

Via

Crystal Dynamics has said it received an overwhelming response to a recent survey designed to gauge interest in a potential Legacy of Kain revival.

In October, the company launched a questionnaire asking players what they’d like to see should the classic gothic vampire series make a comeback.

On Thursday, the developer claimed such surveys usually receive a few thousand responses, but that the Legacy of Kain one received more than 100,000.

“We wanted to gain a community perspective on what players are looking for should we revisit the land of Nosgoth and our iconic IP, Legacy of Kain,” Crystal Dynamics and Eidos CEO Phil Rogers said during parent company Embracer Group’s earnings call (transcribed by VGC). “In the past, we’ve found that surveys typically get between 1,000 and 3,000 responses, but when we asked folk about Legacy of Kain, we received over 100,000 responses. 73,000 gamers completed it entirely, and if you are one of them, we thank you very much, and we appreciate it was quite an effort given the survey was pretty extensive.

“We saw the news of our survey shared across social and press platforms and we really felt this was a great way to reignite this passionate fan community with this legendary PC and console game series. Rest assured, we hear you loudly and clearly, and we will continue to update you on the what if possibilities ahead for Legacy of Kain in the future.”

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
The Simpsons Reaction GIF

I'd gladly take remakes of the three Soul Reaver games..!

Edit: Remasters are a no brainer, but I think they could aim higher in regards to level design of remakes.. I will cost a lot of money I'm sure..

Last edited:

GymWolf

Umm...do we know what the results are??

It would be pretty bad if majority of people who voted were millennials who never played the original...

Braag

If they are gonna go with remake, they should remake them all. Only remaking the first game wouldn't make sense. The games are old and only slapping a HD patch on it and calling it a remaster wouldn't really attract people.
Best option would be to reboot it completely.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned

It would be pretty bad if majority of people who voted were millennials who never played the original...

Actually... milennials are the demographic that played these games the most. Maybe the youngest batch of them not so much. I was 12 when Soul Reaver released, so I am exactly the audience they are looking for.

if Gen Z answered, then we are screwed. Survival mechanics, crafting... multiplayer... you get the idea.

Filben

What are Gen Z and millenials? Always found those terms to describe in what decade someone's born in (instead of just telling said decade) confusing.

Anyways, really loves Soul Reaver 1, the atmosphere, the Gothic horror, the story and music. If they manage to do that again with a new game or a good remake, I'm down for it.

Gojiira

Maybe they can finally revisit that Dead Sun game, looked actually pretty good and playing as a descendant of Raziel appeals quite a bit...

Dr.Morris79

This thread made me want to check out the series on Steam (Never bought it on there, still got the discs for the pc, played it years back)

Thought i'd buy them for old times sake. Except, when it came to Soul Reaver..

whAXdxs.jpg

What happend? :messenger_confused:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I'll believe you hear me "loud and clear" when you give me my Blood Omen remaster, patiently waiting, throw in Soul Reaver too while you're at it.

Jinzo Prime

This thread made me want to check out the series on Steam (Never bought it on there, still got the discs for the pc, played it years back)

Thought i'd buy them for old times sake. Except, when it came to Soul Reaver..

whAXdxs.jpg

What happend? :messenger_confused:
Square sold the studio and IP to Embracer. Guess they haven't gotten around to putting the games back on Steam yet.

What are Gen Z and millenials?

Millenials: Mid '80s to mid 90's.
Zoomers/Gen Z: Mid '90's to 2010
Gen Alpha: 2010's to Mid 2020's

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm pretty sure we all voted against the "GAaS" bs, so I'm pretty much happy with either a remake or a new game in the series.

Ultimately, I'd also look forward to a remaster but I feel the games might be too dated for that.

I rather would like them to use those resources on a new game or Remaster of the first ones.
So you'd rather have them use resources on ancient games being Remastered while still looking like hot shit instead of a a full fledged next gen/New gen true to the source material Remake? God, you are a 🤡

Please stay away from any game industry jobs. 🙏

Last edited:

Pejo

There is zero chance this is good even if they make a new LoK game. I don't even have faith that they could do a good remaster.

Xeaker

So you'd rather have them use resources on ancient games being Remastered while still looking like hot shit instead of a a full fledged next gen/New gen true to the source material Remake? God, you are a 🤡

If it looks shit after remastering it, then it was a shitty Remaster LOL

Romulus

Honestly, I would like to see a deeper, better version of Ryse Son of Rome mixed with something like Mount and Blade, but with Kain growing stronger as a commander, leading medieval armies of vampires to dominate the overwhelming human legions. Horseback and large battles.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned

Put me down as a clown too. Shouldn’t take too many resources for a decent remaster. Rare Replay games, for example look good enough for me.

MrMephistoX

The Simpsons Reaction GIF

I'd gladly take remakes of the three Soul Reaver games..!

Edit: Remasters are a no brainer, but I think they could aim higher in regards to level design of remakes.. I will cost a lot of money I'm sure..
I wouldn’t say no to a Spyro like remaster where you could swap between OG visuals and the new style. I don’t think a straight sequel would work without it if they want to attract new players to the franchise since the lore is nuts. I’ve been playing through the series on Steam Deck and about the only ones that aren’t horribly dated are Defiance and Blood Omen on PS1 which is top down 2D. I’m good with it since I grew up on the series but modern gamers would have a hard time adjusting.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

if they can just make a new game with the same dark amazing story , mature characters it would be amazing , and even if i played all the games i wouldnt mind a remake of soul reaver ( the best in the series in my opinion )

K2D

Banned
I wouldn’t say no to a Spyro like remaster where you could swap between OG visuals and the new style. I don’t think a straight sequel would work without it if they want to attract new players to the franchise since the lore is nuts. I’ve been playing through the series on Steam Deck and about the only ones that aren’t horribly dated are Defiance and Blood Omen on PS1 which is top down 2D. I’m good with it since I grew up on the series but modern gamers would have a hard time adjusting.

A remaster wouldn't fix the old 3d platformer style of gameplay (though they did it exceptionally well) - but I wouldn't complain if that's what we get.

Any ideas how they could fit the story lines into more modernized gamedesign?

Kadve

not sure how you can remake blood omen without loosing the art style. Soul Reaver is a no brainer though as it looks and plays like crap nowadays.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Many millennials are in their 40s or pushing 40. Top age is 41.
Put me down as a clown too. Shouldn’t take too many resources for a decent remaster. Rare Replay games, for example look good enough for me.
Why are you concerned with how a game publishers uses their resources and their IP to the point that you would like a remaster but not a remake?

GymWolf

Many millennials are in their 40s or pushing 40. Top age is 41.

Why are you concerned with how a game publishers uses their resources and their IP to the point that you would like a remaster but not a remake?
I mispelled gen x apparently:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom