• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Kyrandia Series - Classic Talk!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So... were these games any good? I can't find any really good review sites that list 'em, since they're pretty old. Early 90s, I believe.

Aren't they supposed to be Westwood's take on the Eye of the Beholder games, only must more inventive and imaginative? Can you cross your characters over from game to game, or are they unrelated? Any improvements in the CD versions over the older floppy versions?

Just curious. :)

Kyrandia was a Kings Quest style game if I remember right.

Lands of Lore was their original Eye of the Beholder style series. The same guys actually made Eye of The Beholder for SSI. Lands of Lore was a great game with beautiful art. Never played Kyrandia but it certainly looked beautiful at the time.

Yes, both were done at Westwood Studios. Those guys were amazing at pixel art for the time and had a good grasp of gameplay especially considering how Lands of Lore and Dune 2 turned out.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Malcom's Revenge remains one of my favorite point and click adventures

madara

I just finished this series with dosbox last month. It was alot fun though I admit it was hard to totally enjoy them as much as I did way back then. So much has improved technology wise and some of puzzle are down right mean and brutal. The series is abit of an underdog and alot lighter in tone adventure game. Perhaps with the coming improved voice recognition tech, adventures games can make big comeback.

Borys

Banned
Lands of Lore - RPG games that look and play like EotB/ Might and Magic series. I finished them all :) LoL 2 and LoL 3 come on 4 CDs! Excellent atmosphere and really cool worlds (ice world! lava world! jungle world!)/ abilities (morph into a small lizard or a huge monstrum). If you're into FPP RPGs then try them out!

The Legend of Kyrandia - Adventure games like King's Quest series. Kyrandia 2 is the best (Hand of Fate) while Kyrandia 3 (Malcolm's Revenge) the worst. I *hated* Kyrandia 3.

KYRANDIA Review

KYRANDIA 2 Review

KYRANDIA 3 Review

I miss old (1990-96) PC games :'(

Mejilan: finish DW4 first!

The Kyrandia series is really good, if not spectacular like DOTT and Sam&Max. They are reaully fun to play but the first game is sort of the low point of the series, the second game being the one I enjoyed the most. I highly recommend you to play this.

One day I'll sit down and make a list of all adventure games I played and rate them :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmmm, I need to track down the Lands of Lore games now...

And yes, almost done with DW4! :)

acklame

Westwood fan here :(

they made some great games, that's for sure. Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, Legend of Kyrandia, Blade Runner, Dune, Nox and of course C&C...

mutsu

Suikoguy said:
Malcom's Revenge remains one of my favorite point and click adventures

Agreed. Indeed one of the best of the series. Got to say as well that I have enjoyed the entire series. One must play graphics adventure series if you ask me.

Westwood kind of destroyed itself artistically when they moved to prerendered 3d graphics. The companies that had very techy games at that time like Novalogic did quite well with them given the time period and level of the tools at the time.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I remember playing one of these games at Costco back when it was called Price Club. They had a bunch of 386's for sale and one of these games was running on one of the machines. I liked the graphics and absolutely LOVED the music, but I only played 10 minutes of it. I should really give these games a try again...

Top Bottom