• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom becomes the fastest selling Nintendo game in history

Draugoth

Gold Member
zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-split-image_tcm25-750683.jpg

The latest game in the Legend of Zelda series has smashed sales records, truly living up to the hype as one of the most anticipated games in years. Tears of the Kingdom on the Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling Nintendo videogame of all time.

It hit the shelves on 12 May and sold 10 million copies in its first three days to snatch the record title previously held by Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in 2018. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, for the Nintendo Switch, held the record shortly after its release in December of that year by selling 12.08 million copies in 24 days.

Before that, the fastest-selling game from Nintendo was New Super Mario Bros. for Wii in 2009. That one sold 1.4 million copies in its first week of sales and 10.5 million by the eighth week.

BotW also launched on Wii U

ToTK will likely port to the next console too
But, this is for the launch window. Mario Kart 8 was ONLY on the Wii U during its launch window, so obviously it wouldn't be faster than TotK.

BotW launched on Switch. Any Wii U sales were just extra.

SeraphJan

But, this is for the launch window. Mario Kart 8 was ONLY on the Wii U during its launch window, so obviously it wouldn't be faster than TotK.

BotW launched on Switch. Any Wii U sales were just extra.
I wasn't talking about which is faster, I was thinking will it eventually surpass Mario Kart 8, although I doubt it

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Totally deserved, the game not only lived up to the hype, but surpassed the expectations by such a big margin that even unrealistic expectations fell short... I definitely don't know how was that even possible... This and BOTW 103% of installed base ratio seem absurd to me but they happened lol

feynoob

Banned
That is $700m+ worth of sales in 3 days.

Man, Nintendo is raking in money with a cheap hardware system.

As they say, not lowering the price of your games actual makes your products valuable.

Astral Dog

As they say, not lowering the price of your games actual makes your products valuable.
They need to be fun,high quality games and prestigious brands to work this strategy

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
They have some of the most valuable brands in the world now, and the recent success of the mario movie has only re-ignited a new generation of kids interest in Nintendo products.

My nephew has talked about mario non-stop since watching it, and has now shown an interest in zelda since he saw me playing, the awe on his face when he saw the sky kingdom and the combat was quite something. Nintendo is quite possibly taking Disney's place in the world - I can see a time when multiple Nintendo world theme parks and movies exist and rake in as much money as Disneyland etc.

If Sony remembered to keep this in mind with their own games, they wouldn't feel the need to port to PC to bring in extra revenue.

Because they certainly have several games that would command these types of sales and this type of revenue. They should've been even more anti-consumer stubborn price-confident like Nintendo.

Robb

Gold Member
season 1 episode 6 GIF by America's Got Talent

Curious to know how they’ll be able to top this. Although I was thinking the same about BotW before TotK…

The success of Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom as the fastest-selling Nintendo game in history is truly remarkable. It's a testament to the enduring popularity of the franchise and the exceptional quality of this latest installment. The Legend of Zelda series has captivated gamers for decades, and this achievement further solidifies its status as a gaming legend. Tears of the Kingdom must have struck a chord with fans, offering a captivating storyline, immersive gameplay, and stunning visuals. It's exciting to see how Nintendo continues to push the boundaries and deliver unforgettable experiences. This milestone sets the bar high for future Zelda games, and fans can't wait to see what's next in store for this iconic series.

Tams

The success of Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom as the fastest-selling Nintendo game in history is truly remarkable. It's a testament to the enduring popularity of the franchise and the exceptional quality of this latest installment. The Legend of Zelda series has captivated gamers for decades, and this achievement further solidifies its status as a gaming legend. Tears of the Kingdom must have struck a chord with fans, offering a captivating storyline, immersive gameplay, and stunning visuals. It's exciting to see how Nintendo continues to push the boundaries and deliver unforgettable experiences. This milestone sets the bar high for future Zelda games, and fans can't wait to see what's next in store for this iconic series.
Emotion Reaction GIF
bot bumble GIF

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Crazy. It didnt have that huge of a marketing push I think. People were really starving I guess.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I think yesterday was the first day in the weeks since I started playing it that I took a break, mostly because I was just too busy. I can’t recall another game that got its hooks in me so deeply.

Last edited:

Comandr

Not to shit on ToTK’s success - because it’s a great game. But there are some hundred odd million switches out there, what the fuck else are those people playing? So even if 10% of switch owners bought Zelda at launch, it’s instantly the fastest selling game in history, by sheer virtue of there

1) being a ton of platform owners out there
2) virtually no competing releases for switch recently.

It’s been like, what, since January or February since the last major release?

Switch owners are just starving for a good game.

It's nice to know a lot of young people are experiencing a high quality game like this. In a sea of crud and propaganda from the western world, broken games, silly budgets, chasing graphics while forgetting mechanics, soppy dev drama and apologies, predatory MTX whale searching exploitative crap, it's a welcome relief that people can play something with wonder like we did on the NES/SNES.

Last edited:
Not to shit on ToTK’s success - because it’s a great game. But there are some hundred odd million switches out there, what the fuck else are those people playing? So even if 10% of switch owners bought Zelda at launch, it’s instantly the fastest selling game in history, by sheer virtue of there

Metroid Prime Remastered in March

MagnesD3

Metroid Prime Remastered in March
A remaster of a game that came out when I was in middle school, like almost 20 years ago I think.

I've only touched my switch for the MK8 dlc, before that Smash Ultimate dlc lol.

Oh and I almost forgot I did beat Kirby Forgotten Realm In between Elden Ring Playthroughs last year, that too.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Quality and gameplay innovation win. Maybe the rest of the triple a industry will learn a lesson, or maybe they will keep tripping over themselves trying to be the next fortnite

Woopah

technically that's like, 2nd party... or something...

not in house developed
But the article does mention Smash Bros. which isn't internally developed either.

Either way, they are all Nintendo published game and therefore first party.
Was it 70 USD a pop?
It was probably the best selling in terms of revenue yes.

But Switch software sales have been really good, which wouldn't be the case if owners were "starving". They buy lots of games.

Woopah

smash bros is fully owned by Nintendo tho, while Pokemon is a co-ownership
They are both Nintendo games since Nintendo is the publisher. When Nintendo reports sales, it treats Pokémon and Smash Bros. just like any other first party title.

Top Bottom