• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom becomes the fastest selling Nintendo game in history

LakeOf9

I've owned a Switch since launch and I'd be dead from starvation if it wasn't for my PC.
I made this post in a different thread:

Not a massive fan of most of Nintendo's output, but based on Wikipedia, since January 2022, they have released:

• Pokemon Legends Arceus
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Nintendo Switch Sports
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
  • Mario Strikers Battle League
  • Splatoon 3
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe
  • Advance Wars 1+2 ReBoot Camp
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
That's more games than Microsoft and Sony put together in this period, and include what I understand are some pretty big franchises - Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Metroid, Kirby, and Zelda.

This is also not counting DLC and expansions (apparently the Xenoblade 3 DLC is amazing), third party games like Triangle Strategy and Mario+Rabbids (apparently this is a Ubisoft game), multiplatform games like Persona 5 Royal, Nier Automata, No Man's Sky, Fall Guys, 13 Sentinels (what the fuck is this), Sonic Frontiers, Diablo 2 (did not realize this was on Switch).

Like, Im not huge on Switch (though I think the hardware concept is badass) but if you think its been lacking releases I think the problem is with you lol

Robb

Gold Member
Yes, but how many are torturing Koroks?
Who isn’t?

hqdefault.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
They've had a solid first half of the year but apart from Pikmin 4, what is really left now? They seem to be padding the rest of the year's lineup with ports and HD remasters.

Let's just admit that 2023 has been a horrible year for all three companies.
Crazy. It didnt have that huge of a marketing push I think. People were really starving I guess.
Which basically gives Nintendo the green light for a lot more $70 priced games.
People are desperate for a good game on the Switch so I'm not surprised.
It's literally impossible unless all they play is AAA Zelda at release... Nintendo had released more games than months have passed this year.

Not a Switch problem if you don't care about those, under same terms I could say Sony hasn't released a good game in more than a decade and it doesn't make it true just because I don't care about their output.

Between last year and this year Nintendo only audience has been served with monthly important releases not even counting third parties.

MagnesD3

I made this post in a different thread:
I see one 9.5 material game out of this list that was a DLC built into a bugger thing the rest are just Good.

Access is something new but I it's bogged with issues.

Kirby while a step in the right direction still doesn't push much game design wise like all kirbys, its still bonkers easy (sick music tho).

FE is Anime, TRPG Waifu Sim shlock that hasn't evolved enough combat wise to be super interesting. And there's 2 of them.

There are 2 Xenoblades and 2 Splatoons, good for Anime JRPG heads and people that wanna play a ok online 3PS multiplayer with its grind content drip (single players are cool tho).

Bayo 3 supposed to be the worst in the series and 2 was already a step down, took too long to come out

Pokemon Scarlet another side step that runs like trash. At least Arceus took more risks.

Metroid Prime Remastered is game I played when like 10 years ago on the GameCube, where is Metroid Prime 4.

Wii Kirby port, another Kirby in a series with an insane amount of entries

Another reboot with AW (heard it's worse than the ogs too), pass

Where are the bangers, new 3d Mario, new DK, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, F Zero, Mario or Smash Kart, Metroid Prime 4, whatever retro was working on, or some other crazy new ip that is single player focused.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not to shit on ToTK’s success - because it’s a great game. But there are some hundred odd million switches out there, what the fuck else are those people playing? So even if 10% of switch owners bought Zelda at launch, it’s instantly the fastest selling game in history, by sheer virtue of there

1) being a ton of platform owners out there
2) virtually no competing releases for switch recently.

It’s been like, what, since January or February since the last major release?

Switch owners are just starving for a good game.
The Switch has more good games then the PS5 and Xbox combined.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I see one 9.5 material game out of this list that was a DLC built into a bugger thing the rest are just Good.

Kirby while a step in the right direction still doesn't push much game design wise like all kirbys, its still bonkers easy (sick music tho).

FE is Anime, TRPG Waifu Sim shlock that hasn't evolved enough combat wise to be super interesting. And there's 2 of them.

There are 2 Xenoblades and 2 Splatoons, good for Anime JRPG heads and people that wanna play a ok online 3PS multiplayer with its grind content drip (single players are cool tho).

Bayo 3 supposed to be the worst in the series and 2 was already a step down, took too long to come out

Pokemon Scarlet another side step that runs like trash. At least Arceus took more risks.

Metroid Prime Remastered is game I played when like 10 years ago on the GameCube, where is Metroid Prime 4.

Where are the bangers, new 3d Mario, new DK, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, F Zero, Mario or Smash Kart, Metroid Prime 4, whatever retro was working on, or some other crazy new ip that is single player focused.
So It's not that Switch has no games but that you don't care about its catalog. Thanks for clarifying, for s moment I thought you actually believed Switch lacks games or something like that, weird I know.

MagnesD3

So It's not that Switch has no games but that you don't care about its catalog. Thanks for clarifying, for s moment I thought you actually believed Switch lacks games or something like that, weird I know.
It doesn't have enough GOAT 9.5-10 bangers that's the problem and they don't spread thier demographic enough, your eating good if you like jrps, trpg and online 3rd person shooters but that's kinda it for a hot minute. Not enough OG franchises getting love.

So if you are about FE, Splatoon, Xenoblade, BOTW, Pokemon or Kirby you are eating good, too good, they shouldn't have fuckin double dipped and spread the love more.

Last edited:

Woopah

Which publishers have had a good output in the last 18 months do you think, in terms of 9.5 bangers and variety?

Not including the remasters I count:

3 JRPGs
3 Action games
2 Sports games
1 strategy game
1 platformer
1 open world game
1 third person shooter
1 SRPG

Not too bad for 18 months right?

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It doesn't have enough GOAT 9.5-10 bangers that's the problem and they don't spread thier demographic enough, your eating good if you like jrps, trpg and online 3rd person shooters but that's kinda it for a hot minute. Not enough OG franchises getting love.

So if you are about FE, Splatoon, Xenoblade, BOTW, Pokemon or Kirby you are eating good, too good, they shouldn't have fuckin double dipped and spread the love more.
But that's Nintendo main target, nobody is complaining there are not enough high profile high quality platformers and JRPGs on Xbox because Xbox audience is more into other stuff.

It's not a Nintendo problem, it's just that it has its audience very well defined already. Many, including myself, can spend all day complaining about the excess of cosy slow games on switch but there's a wide community of fans of those games in the platform, bigger than in any other, there are entire YouTube channels dedicated to those games, Nintendo has that demographic caught by the balls entirely too, doesn't mean they don't have games when those start to show more.

The type of games you want are in other platforms, the types of games on Switch you say are average, may be GOTY for many of us that actually like them.

MagnesD3

But that's Nintendo main target, nobody is complaining there are not enough high profile high quality platformers and JRPGs on Xbox because Xbox audience is more into other stuff.

It's not a Nintendo problem, it's just that it has its audience very well defined already. Many, including myself, can spend all day complaining about the excess of cosy slow games on switch but there's a wide community of fans of those games in the platform, bigger than in any other, there are entire YouTube channels dedicated to those games, Nintendo has that demographic caught by the balls entirely too, doesn't mean they don't have games when those start to show more.

The type of games you want are in other platforms, the types of games on Switch you say are average, may be GOTY for many of us that actually like them.
I am not a fan of New Nintendos demographic, I'm a big fan of thier platformers, traditional 3d Zelda games, on rails shooters, racers, smash, retro output and potentially new ip.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I am not a fan of New Nintendos demographic, I'm a big fan of thier platformers, traditional 3d Zelda games, on rails shooters, racers, smash, retro output and potentially new ip.
They're still great though, that hasn't changed, they're just far from being the only thing they do these days

Tams

Gold Member
Not to shit on ToTK’s success - because it’s a great game. But there are some hundred odd million switches out there, what the fuck else are those people playing? So even if 10% of switch owners bought Zelda at launch, it’s instantly the fastest selling game in history, by sheer virtue of there

1) being a ton of platform owners out there
2) virtually no competing releases for switch recently.

It’s been like, what, since January or February since the last major release?

Switch owners are just starving for a good game.
Would you believe it or not, and especially for the Switch, many of those owners aren't hardcore gamers and either stick to a few games (Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc.) or only have limited time to play so have plenty of games to choose from.

Hard to imagine; I know. But do try.

Comandr

Would you believe it or not, and especially for the Switch, many of those owners aren't hardcore gamers and either stick to a few games (Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc.) or only have limited time to play so have plenty of games to choose from.

Hard to imagine; I know. But do try.
I don’t see how this applies here? In your scenario if someone only had limited time or stuck to a few games, wouldn’t they choose one of the biggest games in the entire generation? Certainly the follow up game to the groundbreaking, industry shaking breath of the wild.

I would also argue a competitive shooter like splatoon, no matter how kid friendly looking, is more hardcore than Zelda.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

They're still great though, that hasn't changed, they're just far from being the only thing they do these days
I just want a game to be excited about and Nintendo used to do that more often than they do now and it's a bummer. Really hope those 3d donkey kong game rumors pan out.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I just want a game to be excited about and Nintendo used to do that more often than they do now and it's a bummer. Really hope those 3d donkey kong game rumors pan out.
I hope the same,, it doesn't mean Nintendo has no games or that their latest output is shit, for many of us their at their best these recent years. Zelda is just like completing the full circle of a great wave of releases one after another for years already.

BlackTron

Not to shit on ToTK’s success - because it’s a great game. But there are some hundred odd million switches out there, what the fuck else are those people playing?
Right, because all 100 million Switches out there belong to someone with no other options to play games whatsoever. And they are all dying from how Switch has no games.

Tams

Gold Member

Again, this is so subjective.

For me, the only things PlayStation has had that interest me in years had been Unchartered and GT. I think The Last of Us is clichéd and boring, and a waste of ND's time.

On Xbox... there's been nothing for me.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
I don’t see how this applies here? In your scenario if someone only had limited time or stuck to a few games, wouldn’t they choose one of the biggest games in the entire generation? Certainly the follow up game to the groundbreaking, industry shaking breath of the wild.

I would also argue a competitive shooter like splatoon, no matter how kid friendly looking, is more hardcore than Zelda.

You've gotten my comment completely the wrong way around there, mate.

MagnesD3

Again, this is so subjective.

For me, the only things PlayStation has had that interest me in years had been Unchartered and GT. I think The Last of Us is clichéd and boring, and a waste of ND's time.

On Xbox... there's been nothing for me.
I dont really think video game design is very subjective but I definitely could say Last of Us is not for everyone, part of me hates The Last of Us Pt. 2 and I'd still give it a 9.4 for certain things it does.

I also agree playstation has been shitting the bed for the most part for a minute and xbox has nothing. I'm not saying they are better exactly I'm saying I just want nintendo to make more GOAT level games that I know they can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom