• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legit PC players can’t play Final Fantasy 7 Remake after Epic Games Store goes down

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
*Surprised Pikachu face*

EGS_FINALFANTASYVIIREMAKEINTERGRADE_SquareEnix_S1_2560x1440-85f829541a833442eaace75d02e0f07d

Amazon servers are hit with another outage today, and it has affected several huge services like Slack, Asana, and Imgur.
Unfortunately, some Epic Games Store users were also affected, which lead to people finding out the hard way that they cannot access several games in their library regardless of whether its single or multiplayer, including the recently released Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade.

FHN2YrCWQAMbhsG

As PC players are well aware, Final Fantasy 7 Remake has not gone over well, with Digital Foundry calling the PC port “terrible.”
Now, it appears that it has even worse things going for it, as it appears that you cannot play the game outside of launching it from the Epic Games launcher, which is impossible if you’re offline or the servers are down.

Sans_titre.png

At this level of stupidity, maybe you just get what you deserved

The issue was brought up by a user on Twitter, where they shared a screenshot of them getting booted out of the game after trying to access it directly rather than from the Epic Games Launcher:

The ensuing thread has people trying to figure out a fix, but at the time of writing it would appear that there are no solutions to playing Final Fantasy 7 Remake offline on PC – unless of course if you pirated it.
With what is now a recurring theme for subpar PC ports, it would appear that players who pirate the game are getting the superior experience over players who forked over the USD 70, as they can easily play it offline without DRM and with a broader range of mods available to have a better overall gaming experience.

Kuranghi

Yesterday the client just wouldn't load the store and I thought oh well I'll just play a game until the store is back up but all my installed games except one were missing from the list and I just couldn't play them, wtf.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I just tested this in my end and am not having this issues at all. My laptop is in airplane mode and made sure wifi was off.

Several of my games ran with no issues.

Does EGS have a mixture of drm and drm free games?

Facism

"i'M a SuPPoRtEr oF MaRkeT cOmPetItioN" says remedial who supports a game with only 1 avenue of purchase compared to literal dozens, via online stores and key resale, when a product releases on steam

Last edited:

lmimmfn

So EGS is too cheap to have multi cloud installations? Amazon recommends not tying services to only on of their clouds, i. e. east one.

Might help to have some geo redundancy Epic, eh? oh sorry forgot the Epic Store is run on a shoestring.

ClosBSAS

lmao, that tweet, saying he supports competition. man, he has no fucking idea what competition means. epic is paying for games not to be on steam. simple as that. they are breaking the market with the same bullshit sweeney cried about microsoft trying to do with windows store.
people that support that shit saying its competition are just dumb as shit.

reksveks

lmao, that tweet, saying he supports competition. man, he has no fucking idea what competition means. epic is paying for games not to be on steam. simple as that. they are breaking the market with the same bullshit sweeney cried about microsoft trying to do with windows store.
people that support that shit saying its competition are just dumb as shit.
Do you not believe that platform exclusive like in video streaming exclusives or console games is not a form of competition?

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Oof, glad I went with the PlayStation version instead of waiting so long and then having to deal with these issues on top of the delay.

Last edited:

elliot5

Epic has an offline mode. You need to opt in in the settings.

However, square appears to be using EOS as a mandatory drm check which requires you to launch via the store online. It’s on Square for implementing such a dumb thing on their single player game. To a smaller degree maybe Epic should have some sort of fallback thing in place or remember your validity for a week or two idk. But 95% is on Square

Goalus

There is an easy solution to this problem:
EGS should migrate to Azure asap.
Microsoft have a lot of experience with hosting large organizations and would be able to solve an issue like this within a few minutes.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Speaking from experience?

I see that this will be another thread to shit on PC.

Yes, even in 2021 there are shitty lazy-ass console ports like FF VII. Yes, 99.9% of games still offer vastly superior experience on PC compared to other platforms. What's here to discuss?
oh absolutely speaking from experience lol.
Pc gamer since 1997... it's a life of pain and misery. Even with 3080 it's not all sunshine.
Of course it's a game of pros and cons. I like to have good pc and a console. I usually mix but recently I am a bit more jaded towards the pc.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
i got mine for free from Jack. Tbh this game is terribly held back because of consoles. Bunch of shitty squeeze-past-corridors and slow-walk-on-steel-beams segments

emivita

This is one of the reasons I'll never switch from Playstation to PC, even if every single Playstation game would release along with PC version. As long as physical exists, of course.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is one of the reasons I'll never switch from Playstation to PC, even if every single Playstation game would release along with PC version. As long as physical exists, of course.
Well I want to replay god of war but I will just play it on ps5 instead of waiting for pc version... I don't know how but there will probably be some headache as usual.
DF: "yes, but you can turn down this and this and this and this for an additional 27% boost with no visual disadvantages to be able to hit 60fps"... like cmon. Why with pc gaming I have to do all the research work. Just make the options substantial and self explanatory.

kingfey

Banned
Because they are fools ?
How can anyone who love ff7 wait to play remake for years ?!
If I was a fan, I would jump on that shit on 150usd ps4 slim when the game came out.
People who wait for "best version" will wait forever
You mean, the only to play it, was on a console, which didn't even own the IP, and what they got after 2 years, is half assed garbage games.

People have different devices, and they can't buy all the systems. So they hold out for their system.

The game isn't a playstation exclusive. It's timed exclusive game, which was supposed to be on other systems, after 1 year. We are almost in 3rd year. We pc players who waited for the game, got the short stick, by greedy square. And our fellow xbox fans, don't even get the chance to play it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You're right. You can't do bigger levels on consoles, it's just not possible.

I am glad I didn’t pay for this game. I feel like this game is rather overhyped

Gonna start Monster Hunter Rise and God of War next month on Steam

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Speaking from experience?

I see that this will be another thread to shit on PC.

Yes, even in 2021 there are shitty lazy-ass console ports like FF VII. Yes, 99.9% of games still offer vastly superior experience on PC compared to other platforms. What's here to discuss?
Its just console people, who like to shit on pc gamers.

They ignore their day1 shit games. Its not they never experience half assed release games, with shit buggy games.

kingfey

Banned
Cyberpunk2077, call of duty vanguard, outriders, battlefield 2042.

Yeah, no reason to switch to pc, when I am getting those shitty day1 releases.

Excited Party GIF

Midn1ght

Not saying that consoles don't have their issue (Cyberpunk COD, etc...) but this year in particular has been a shit show for big single player PC releases.

Sorry to take REEEEEEE as a metric but just look at their performances thread:

Final Fantasy VII : 42 Pages / Over 2000 posts
Deathloop PC : 33 Pages / Over 1600 posts
Forza Horizon 5 : 33 Pages / Over 1600 posts
Resident Evil VII : 31 Pages / Over 1500 posts
Far Cry 6 : 13 Pages / Over 640 posts
Halo Infinite : 13 Pages / Over 640 posts
Guardian Galaxy : 8 Pages / Over 380 posts

Ultimately, it seems that most games get fixed with time or even better when DLSS is added (Horizon Zero Dawn was bad when released but is now fantastic on PC and probably the best version to play).

It's true that if you're PC only, you've got to be patient but damn sometimes it sucks and this year was a good reminder of that.

Top Bottom