• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legit Reason To Own A PlayStation or Xbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Ryzen 5600x , a Mid Atx computer case. Im waiting until paydays, but will get the Rx 6700 XT, 128gb of Ram along with 2TB of SSD storage.

Xbox: All first party games launch day one on game pass/PC. There is no future Xbox only games. My PC build is way more exceptional than the Series S and more free than the X. Xbox Party chat app is on PC so I can still talk and game with whomever while using any controller . Any old games I can run in 4k with unlocked frame rate which is better than the Xbox’s backwards compatibility.

PlayStation: Games launches typically 2 years after console release on PC. I played every single ps5 exclusive so far anyways. Spider-man 2 is 1 game I will have to wait on, but while I’m waiting there’s still Xbox games like Starfield that may be a hit and older gen and multiplat games to keep me busy until the Pc release. PSVR2 looks phenomenal but with Meta Quest 3 being announced for $499 with a library of games I already own because I had the quest 2, the psvr2 isn’t a system keeper anymore to me. The PC has access to majority the VR headsets anyways.
So yeah, what’s the reasons?

SeraphJan

Here is what I do:

If the PC version isn't broken, for some games I would pick PC for better visual

I use PS5 for PS Plus and buy used physical copies, which both option are not available on PC, there are also exclusives that may or may not release on PC.

I could see PSVR2 being a thing in the future too (when more games are released), Meta Quest 3 doesn't have eye tracking which is a very important feature that works well with Variable rate shading, meaning PSVR2 games has the potential of having much better perceived quality/performance compare to the same spec that doesn't have that.

---------------------------

IMO what make PS5 distinct compare to a PC with similar specs is:

1. PS Plus (For example you would have to buy Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart with full price on PC, but almost free with PS Plus)

2. Used game market (Very economical if you can wait 1 or 2 week after release, you will likely get the game around 30% off compare to new, even better if you want to resell it after completion, this is why
physical copy is always the king, you could literally complete every new game free of charge, and replay them later when they release on PS Plus)

3. Day 1 exclusive (This is obvious)

4. PSVR2 (Reason that I've mentioned above, PC headset that had eye tracking are almost twice the cost)

Note: Distinct doesn't always mean better, just mean its different

Other minor distinction include Native Dualsense support for many games, ease of use compare to PC etc. are not included because these are minor (at least for me).

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Do you need one? Sounds like PC is the way to go.

I personally just prefer to play on the TV and like the convenience. Have no interest in purchasing a PC.

yurinka

In the case of PlayStation, the exclusives and not having to worry if your PC specs are going to run the game well or not or having to wait for years to play Sony games (in case they ever port the Sony/3rd party Sony exclusive game you want).

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Mad Max Reaction GIF

phant0m

For PS? Day 1 exclusives and playing with console-only friends in games that don’t do cross play with PC is about it.

Also avoiding shitty PC ports. That’s probably the biggest one tbh. So many, even from Sony, are hot garbage out of the gate.

tmlDan

Legit reason, most PC games are broken at launch, replacement parts or upgrades cost more than a PS5/Series alone (sometimes just the gfx card is 3 times the cost to get a small visual upgrade from the ps5/seriesx)

You don't have to deal with Driver updates, trying to make the game stable with setting adjustments, poorly optimized ports, waiting for exclusives for 2-3 years (PS5 games).

I love my PC for CERTAIN games, like strategy and sims, some shooters. But for those single player games id rather use a controller, chill by my massive OLED TV on my comfy couch and play there.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Playing Playstation exclusives day one. If you don't care about that, don't bother.

NinjaBoiX

Why do PC owners always act like they’re offering up some really obvious alternative that none of us console mooks have the sense to notice?

Yes, if you spend the cost of both consoles combined, don’t mind the extra space it takes up and have the technical knowledge to make the most of it, then yes, you can have a largely comparable experience.

Good for you man.

PS5+PSVR2+Switch = play the best games, with the best immersion, without having to wait

Xbox Series S = i've gimped xbox this gen and they'll never fully utilize the X, you can just get a month of gamepass off cdkeys or with MS points assuming MS eventually puts out something worth playing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
None. Sony thinks they can have their cake and eat it too. Phil just had a meltdown a few weeks ago because he doesnt think starfield will save xbox because he knows hes trained people to just game on PC.

Sony is doing the same. All I say to them is good luck.

Catherine

Neo Member
Well, the reasons are price and convenience. If the price doesn't deter you and the customisability and modability on PC is interesting to you compared to the convenience on console, then PC seems like the right option for you

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Why you should'nt buy a gamer pc:

Shitty ports
Shader compiling hell
Tweaking more than actually gaming
Performance Vs. Value = lol
PCVR not on par with competition and laughable price points for "high-end" headsets

Thanks for the bait thread tho'

Sure I can somewhat see it for Xbox given I can play their games day & date on PC (at better quality hopefully given I have a 3090) but when it comes to PlayStation, Why not have one as well if you can afford it? PS5 is decent. PS+ Premium got a bunch of nice games and can even stream some PS3 JRPG's at work on the ol' PC too.

cireza

Not having to deal with a PC.
Paying a fraction of the price.
Better experience on TV.
Etc...

If you prefer the PC experience, then there is obviously no reason to buy a console...

Last edited:

If you sit infront of a pc all day in work it is hard to carry on doing that when gaming. Sofa and large tv and controller is more comfortable.

Plus you need more money, technical knowledge and patience to get the most out of that additional spend. If you are happy with the payoff then more power to you. I am too lazy to bother much with pc outside of the odd point and click / strategy game.

I've got a PC, ps5 and switch to be covered on all fronts. 1st parties to their consoles, 3rd parties on PC depending who made the game since often it's more plug and play friendly for consoles.

Guilty_AI

If you sit infront of a pc all day in work it is hard to carry on doing that when gaming. Sofa and large tv and controller is more comfortable.
I often see this reason being thrown around, but this just bogs down to personal preference. I sit in front on a pc all day for work and study and still prefer it over couch/TV.

ZoukGalaxy

Not this again...
Nbc Brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Experience hassle free couch gaming patatoes mode without PC master race constant updating and tweaking ?
You can say ALL THAT YOU WANT, but there is ALWAYS something with a PC, ALWAYS. Also, what me laugh is guys running FPS counter on screen, like if you can't tell it's 60 fps only by seeing and playing, why bother check the value ? That's hilarious
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

And I'm telling that owning a gaming PC, TOO.

Oh yeah and this also +1B

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

For a ‘hardcore gamer’ that would buy both consoles.

The value proposition is there for a casual who would only buy one machine, especially with PS.

If you’re buying a Series X (449) and PS5 (479) @ a combined cost of £928 and then forcing yourself to pay for online you’ve lost your marbles IMO.

£928 currently gets you a much, much more powerful PC that would probably last this console generation and the next if you’re happy @ 1080p-1440p.

No online feees.

I’ve sold both over the past few months so for the first time since the PS2 I'm without a PS or Xbox. Don’t miss either, but I’ll buy a PS5 Slim for From’s next games. Nintendo have the games and the form factor for me. Even then, if there’s a Steam Deck 2 at that point I’d go for that over PS.

Last edited:
For the price of one PC I can buy a PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch, and PSVR2 and get to avoid the hassle and inconsistency of PC gaming

But to each their own, some people like to tweak stuff and try and brute force to get the best image quality of Framerate but recent pc ports show how hard it is to truly optimize for a large amount of configs and I don’t see that situation changing

Consoles are good enough and you basically get access to all the exclusives day and date

I often see this reason being thrown around, but this just bogs down to personal preference. I sit in front on a pc all day for work and study and still prefer it over couch/TV.
True, other things like having an office chair that feels like a medievil torture device is a factor for me too.

Mahavastu

There are some reasons for a PlayStation, but I dont know if they count for you:

• "it just works", you usually do not have to care about settings beside 60/30fps.​
  • you have a good system without "feeling" the need to upgrade it... When I had a PC it there was always this "fixing the bottleneck", which means more Ram, better CPU, better GPU, better SSD, better this, better that. The PS4 still has some good releases this year, 9 years after launch. You would not wait so long before upgrading your PC​
  • IIRC so far EVERY single player 1st party game (I personally just dont care about multi player) going full price to PC was already available a while "for free" via PS+ or "corona games" at the time of PC launch. So it would be cheaper too. Of course this only counts if Playstation give us games after Spiderman2 🙄

Last edited:

Vick

To me there's actually reasons still, even if CEO's are apparently desperately trying to erase them.

Physical games, titles not available not on PC (lots of them on PS but Xbox also got some, like RDR), lackluster PC ports occasionally missing features/effects/details..

Mossybrew

Yep, this is definitely part of it, I sit at a desk in front of a PC at work all day, I don't want to do that when I come home. And I know I could technically hook a PC up to my big tv but, why? PS5 serves all of my gaming needs. Why would I get a more expensive more complicated machine to do the same thing? I did plenty of PC gaming over the years especially the decade or so of my life when I was committed to WoW but I haven't played a PC game in a few years and I don't miss it at all.

I had a PS5 and a Series X. Then I got a monster gaming PC and my consoles become glorified paperweights so I sold them both.

Now Im rebuying a PS5 to play Final Fantasy on day 1.

So don't listen to me I have no idea what Im doing.
Patience, it will eventually come to PC 🕊️
I can sit my desktop next to my TV( I have a table setup close enough) or sit it where my ps5 was and connect my controller via Bluetooth and still game on the coach or bed. Steam store has a controller ui setup so u can move along the store using a controller.

Here is what I do:

If the PC version isn't broken, PC first, if not try PS5 or XBOX version.

I use PS5 for PS Plus and buy used physical copies, which both option are not available on PC, there is also exclusives that may or may not release on PC.

I could see PSVR2 being a thing in the future too (when more games are released), Meta Quest 3 doesn't have eye tracking which is a very important feature that works well with Variable rate shading, meaning PSVR2 games has the potential of having much better perceived quality/performance compare to the same spec that doesn't have that.

IMO what make PS5 distinct compare to a PC with similar specs is:
1. PS Plus (For example you would have to buy Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart with full price on PC, but almost free with PS Plus)
2. Used game market (Very economical if you can wait 1 or 2 week after release, you will likely get the game around 30% off compare to new, even better if you want to sell it, this is why physical copy is the king)
3. Day 1 exclusive (This is obvious)
4. PSVR2 (Reason that I've mentioned above)
Note: Distinct doesn't always mean better, just mean its different

Other minor distinction include Native Dualsense support for many games, ease of use compare to PC etc. are not included because these are minor (at least for me).
1.) Yeah I have counter dialogue. I told you I have played every ps5 game already besides u know spider-man 2 because I owned a ps5 since launch. All those ps plus game I already played and tbh if u wanna go there, (it’s illegal) but torrents exist.

2.) There’s a website called CDkeys where u can get day one releases for way cheaper than console day one releases.

3.) True

4.) That’s why I said the PC has access to majority. Is the psvr2 better than the strongest headset out? No because the strongest one out is on pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom