• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legit Reason To Own A PlayStation or Xbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is 100% a stealth PCMR thread but I'll bite because I'm bored.

I love my PC and I've played on pc since I was a little kid in the late 90s (fuck.. I'm 31..) but I still prefer consoles overall. I like the ease of just pressing a button and hitting A/X and being done. I'm not gonna throw out bullshit about sitting at a desk because it's bullshit (set steam to open at launch, and use netplwiz to skip login and you mostly have a console) but I prefer the simplicity and I don't really mess with mods or emulation or anything because I prefer original hardware.

I grew up on PlayStation mostly so I'll always have a PS, but with Xbox it's more complicated. I currently don't have one but I've been contemplating it again because I just have performance and random issues with some games I play and because of 360 games. I would love to replay GoW2/3 at 4k as well as play stuff like Binary Domain without weird control issues.

This is 100% a stealth PCMR thread but I'll bite because I'm bored.

I love my PC and I've played on pc since I was a little kid in the late 90s (fuck.. I'm 31..) but I still prefer consoles overall. I like the ease of just pressing a button and hitting A/X and being done. I'm not gonna throw out bullshit about sitting at a desk because it's bullshit (set steam to open at launch, and use netplwiz to skip login and you mostly have a console) but I prefer the simplicity and I don't really mess with mods or emulation or anything because I prefer original hardware.

I grew up on PlayStation mostly so I'll always have a PS, but with Xbox it's more complicated. I currently don't have one but I've been contemplating it again because I just have performance and random issues with some games I play and because of 360 games. I would love to replay GoW2/3 at 4k as well as play stuff like Binary Domain without weird control issues.
Nah that’s true about the older 360 games, but just buy a 360 😂 or wait until the showcase because there might be a gears collection

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
1.) Yeah I have counter dialogue. I told you I have played every ps5 game already besides u know spider-man 2 because I owned a ps5 since launch. All those ps plus game I already played and tbh if u wanna go there, (it’s illegal) but torrents exist.

2.) There’s a website called CDkeys where u can get day one releases for way cheaper than console day one releases.

3.) True

4.) That’s why I said the PC has access to majority. Is the psvr2 better than the strongest headset out? No because the strongest one out is on pc.

You really cannot suggest piracy as a way of "affordable" gaming lol, that's like saying stop being broke by stealing from your work.

As for me personally, I wouldn't bother buying a PC with an ass gpu, I'd rather get a console at that point. If I'm going PC i'm maxing out all the settings at the highest resolution. Not giving up ease of use for marginal gains or even worse, ports that perform worse than console.

You really cannot suggest piracy as a way of "affordable" gaming lol, that's like saying stop being broke by stealing from your work.

As for me personally, I wouldn't bother buying a PC with an ass gpu, I'd rather get a console at that point. If I'm going PC i'm maxing out all the settings at the highest resolution. Not giving up ease of use for marginal gains or even worse, ports that perform worse than console.
That’s not the same thing at all. A work place is paying you to work there. A gaming company isn’t unless you literally work for the gaming company. Like if Phil Spencer pirated every Xbox game.

What’s an “ass” gpu? The one I mentioned is not “ass” by any means. It’s actually stronger than the consoles depending on your cpu which that isn’t “ass” either. When it comes to PC the gpu is important but the cpu and ram matters too. Consoles don’t even give u max 4k games so that’s kinda hypocritical or contradictory.

Nah that’s true about the older 360 games, but just buy a 360 😂 or wait until the showcase because there might be a gears collection
Oh this is exactly what I'm doing is waiting for the showcase just in ...case. I have a 360 but trying to play Gears 2 is painful on 360.
Bruh my build is $800 if I go the 16gb ram route. Look up ryzen 5600x and rx6700xt videos on YouTube for comparison.
What parts are you using besides the 5600x/6700xt? I did a quick build at Microcenter and had to use really budget parts for everything and without a case I'm at $820.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Convenience.

Ability to use physical media options like used games, renting etc to off-set cost, also that a good modern PC that'll outdo the consoles will probably end up costing more than both the modern consoles combined.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Flexing threads used to be much cooler, at least we got to drool over 4090s and the latest i7s. I give this a 4/10.

Last edited:
I personally haven't gone wrong with my method.

First off I'm a Playstation fanboy through and through, have been ever since having a fat PS2 and eventually being completely sold by Assassins Creed 1 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and ESPECIALLY Uncharted: Drakes Fortune back in 2007.

But I eventually caved and bought a PC for the beta launch of Hell Let Loose because it was something that I had only dreamed about for over 15 years. 50 v 50, WWII, combined arms, hardcore FPS combat.

So now I use my PC for any game that I can't play on console. Mainly tactical shooters, mods for shooters and other games and older CoD games on max settings, 60fps+.

You can also get the majority of Xbox game pass games on PC. Though I have been thinking about buying an Xbox Series X for Starfield (as long as it's 60fps), simply for ease of use/plug and play on my 55" LG OLED with 7.1 surround sound.

I originally had my PC hooked up to my TV but it's not that powerful so I moved it to it's own desk and bought a 24", 1080p monitor for it so I could max out more modern games without a problem.

As for my PS5, I usually buy large first party games on launch day. It all works out well for me. I fucking love my PS5 I just wish more PS4 games (first and third party) were upscaled to 60fps like Xbox has been doing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
TautImperfectIslandcanary-size_restricted.gif

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
That’s not the same thing at all. A work place is paying you to work there. A gaming company isn’t unless you literally work for the gaming company. Like if Phil Spencer pirated every Xbox game.

What’s an “ass” gpu? The one I mentioned is not “ass” by any means. It’s actually stronger than the consoles depending on your cpu which that isn’t “ass” either. When it comes to PC the gpu is important but the cpu and ram matters too. Consoles don’t even give u max 4k games so that’s kinda hypocritical or contradictory.

You seriously can't be defending piracy here lol, but ok I'll bite. It's like robbing from the supermarket, just because the product is digital doesn't mean it's not illegal.

Your 6700xt is not a great gpu for my use case, you were suggesting people to get a GTX 1660 up there lol, that card won't last you the generation, building a PC around it is a terrible value proposition compared to just getting a console.

After this generation, I'm probably not going to buy another iteration of Sony's console (I own all of them), so take that as you will.

Probably gonna stick to PC and Nintendo after this generation is over.

Last edited:
And if it doesn't I'll just steal it.
Not stealing if I already own the game. That’s actually legal because it’s a backup copy 🕊️
Oh this is exactly what I'm doing is waiting for the showcase just in ...case. I have a 360 but trying to play Gears 2 is painful on 360.

What parts are you using besides the 5600x/6700xt? I did a quick build at Microcenter and had to use really budget parts for everything and without a case I'm at $820.
so the ASUS prime b550-plus is $132.99 on Amazon. Thermaltake 500w is $39.99. Corsair 16gb ddr4 is $39.99. Memory is $45.99 for 1tb of western digital, and there’s so many cpu fans between $20-$60 that are good.

PaintTinJr

None. Sony thinks they can have their cake and eat it too. Phil just had a meltdown a few weeks ago because he doesnt think starfield will save xbox because he knows hes trained people to just game on PC.

Sony is doing the same. All I say to them is good luck.
Had I not got addicted to GT7's campaign and put about 200Hrs in over 12months, I would be closer to that view as memories of Astro's playroom and FF7 Remake fade.

Turismo is at another level, now IMO. My PS5 owes me nothing from the enjoyment I've had out of that one game and I'm not even a Turismo or car nut and play classic controls on the dualsense.

It is like the best interactive car museum/book you could image, packed full of manufacturer history. I only recently watched the 2019 film Ford vs Ferrari Le Mans, and having raced all those tracks in game, and that amazing GT40 - on the Daytona infield track - it really is a game to love if you have the time and the ability to develop to get totally average skills like I did :)

Yeah where the difference between consoles is more tangible

I suppose mid range pc vs consoles is still a choice people can make if they prefer pc as the platform

A console seems like a better deal though at that level
Can you convince me that a console is a better deal at the mid range point? Can you do it using series x or ps5 comparisons vs my gpu and cpu?

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Not stealing if I already own the game. That’s actually legal because it’s a backup copy 🕊️

so the ASUS prime b550-plus is $132.99 on Amazon. Thermaltake 500w is $39.99. Corsair 16gb ddr4 is $39.99. Memory is $45.99 for 1tb of western digital, and there’s so many cpu fans between $20-$60 that are good.
Just because you got a game on PS5 as part of ps plus, or even if bought, doesn't mean you're entitled to steal it on pc lmao.

Please do yourself a favor and get a better PSU.

Also what made you decide on the 6700xt? Just curious.

tmlDan

16gb in this day and age isn't enough for higher quality gaming

MikeM

128GB of ram? Why?

I have a 7900xt PC and a PS5. I use my PS5 as much as my PC since i’m good with anything 60+ fps. Reasons are:

- user experience (yes, this matters). It just works.
- native Dualsense support
- no dumb issues that can occur like on PC (currently dealing with random pc lock ups and HDR that randomly doesn’t work on COD games)
- exclusives are fantastic
- PS Plus is surprisingly fantastic. I cancelled GP on PC and maintain PS Plus.

It really depends on $$$ and overall time to invest in games.

16gb in this day and age isn't enough for higher quality gaming
Bruh READ, I said I’m going to get 128gb when the paydays hit.
128GB of ram? Why?

I have a 7900xt PC and a PS5. I use my PS5 as much as my PC since i’m good with anything 60+ fps. Reasons are:

- user experience (yes, this matters). It just works.
- native Dualsense support
- no dumb issues that can occur like on PC (currently dealing with random pc lock ups and HDR that randomly doesn’t work on COD games)
- exclusives are fantastic
- PS Plus is surprisingly fantastic. I cancelled GP on PC and maintain PS Plus.

It really depends on $$$ and overall time to invest in games.
User experience is great on PC. The duelsense is good but I actually prefer the Xbox elite controller comfort. HDR fuckup? Pretty sure it’s a YouTube video out there that can help. What exclusives? PS Plus I played I kid you not, over 70% at least maybe more of those games already. They are majority ps4/Xbox one games 🤷🏾‍♂️

I may be misreading what you said but owning the console version of the game doesn't mean torrenting the PC version of the same game is legal.
Ok are you the police? Who cares bruh? That’s besides the point. Some games you can’t even buy unless u torrent it like marvel ultimate alliance 2, so gone somewhere pirate police this thread isn’t even about that it was just a point added never said I do that 👎🏾

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok are you the police? Who cares bruh? That’s besides the point. Some games you can’t even buy unless u torrent it like marvel ultimate alliance 2, so gone somewhere pirate police this thread isn’t even about that it was just a point added never said I do that 👎🏾

Alright man, take it easy lol.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member

You made a list about the great things PC has going for and then listed piracy as an alternative to affordable gaming, then get pissed when people point out that, no shit, pirating is illegal. get outta here dude.

PC has enough valid great points without piracy.

Last edited:
Can you convince me that a console is a better deal at the mid range point? Can you do it using series x or ps5 comparisons vs my gpu and cpu?

Well the problem is that gaming on a PC is all over the place

There’s no consistency. Some games may be worse than console, some better. When it’s worse it generally means terrible performance while consoles tend to get optimized much much better

A $399 PS5 seems like the best, most consistent value if all you care about is gaming

MikeM

Bruh READ, I said I’m going to get 128gb when the paydays hit.

User experience is great on PC. The duelsense is good but I actually prefer the Xbox elite controller comfort. HDR fuckup? Pretty sure it’s a YouTube video out there that can help. What exclusives? PS Plus I played I kid you not, over 70% at least maybe more of those games already. They are majority ps4/Xbox one games 🤷🏾‍♂️
User experience is as corporate as it gets on PC lol come on man. I know since I work on a laptop all day, then use my gaming PC at night. Its virtually the same.

What exclusives? Bruh- there are lots of PS exclusives not on PC.

Look- did you want input or not? Seems you are just defending PCMR with your replies as opposed to taking people’s input to your initial question.

gothmog

Gold Member
Let's see if I can one up this: I'm even better than PCMR because I have all the consoles and a great PC rig. I wait for no game, decide if I want performance or 4K HDR, and decide how much money I want to spend and when I want to spend it. And all I had to do was skip a single generation of GPU upgrades to get it in case you're thinking I broke the bank to get here.

Did I do it right?

MiguelItUp

Personal preference with how you do your gaming. Some people like to play on a huge screen, with a controller, and a comfy couch. Along with a more turn on and go experience, which I totally understand. Others like to sit at a desk, with a comfy chair, and various peripherals, etc. Plus day 1 exclusives. That's really it.

I primarily game on PC, but I still have a Switch, and a PS5. I feel like that's the best combo these days.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Let's see if I can one up this: I'm even better than PCMR because I have all the consoles and a great PC rig. I wait for no game, decide if I want performance or 4K HDR, and decide how much money I want to spend and when I want to spend it. And all I had to do was skip a single generation of GPU upgrades to get it in case you're thinking I broke the bank to get here.

Did I do it right?
You forgot to mention what size diamond shoe you wear.

You seriously can't be defending piracy here lol, but ok I'll bite. It's like robbing from the supermarket, just because the product is digital doesn't mean it's not illegal.

Your 6700xt is not a great gpu for my use case, you were suggesting people to get a GTX 1660 up there lol, that card won't last you the generation, building a PC around it is a terrible value proposition compared to just getting a console.
No no no no no. I’m not defending anything I made a point. You all are enforcing offense. If u wanna really take the thread there we can. Because last time I checked Christopher Columbus and his people (Spaniards) stole a whole land from a people and robbed them and robbed lives, cultures etc. That’s Real Life reality, yet the descendants of these same people still walk on this soil like it’s their’s, so shhhh be quiet. Don’t get me started frfr.

Now I didn’t suggest the 1660 I said it’s $150 which was a price point, and even then a 1080p gamer with a great cpu would be satisfied with that over the S. The 6700XT destroys the S and is better than the 5 and series X so you must be crazy. Go look at the comparisons on YouTube.

Last edited:

Js562

For me it's convenience and ease of use but I'm not saying pc isn't easy to use. Everything is pick up and play for me no messing with shit. I got family around sometimes it's just straight forward on the Xbox or playstation. Anybody who wants to hop In just turn on the controller. I have every console sitting in my living room and I'll just grab my controller and im in already. I got a big backlog of games on my Xbox and some for my PlayStation even when most are on pc now . That shit is up to you. If you don't need it than don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom