• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego and Epic Games are teaming up to make ‘the metaverse’ safe for children (VGC)

kingfey

Banned

The Lego Group and Epic Games have announced that they’re teaming up to make the metaverse safe for children.

In a joint statement, the two companies revealed that they had entered a long-term partnership “to shape the future of the metaverse to make it safe and fun for children and families”.

What exactly this entails hasn’t been made clear, as the definition of ‘the metaverse’ appears to change depending on the company or individual discussing it.

However, the statement appears to indicate that Lego and Epic will be making an online space where children can safely play.

Epic CEO and founder Tim Sweeney said: “The LEGO Group has captivated the imagination of children and adults through creative play for nearly a century, and we are excited to come together to build a space in the metaverse that’s fun, entertaining, and made for kids and families.”

The Lego Group CEO Niels B Christiansen added: “Kids enjoy playing in digital and physical worlds and move seamlessly between the two.

“We believe there is huge potential for them to develop life-long skills such as creativity, collaboration and communication through digital experiences. But we have a responsibility to make them safe, inspiring and beneficial for all.

“Just as we’ve protected children’s rights to safe physical play for generations, we are committed to doing the same for digital play. We look forward to working with Epic Games to shape this exciting and playful future.”

The announcement is the latest example of Lego teaming up with other video game companies as the construction toy firm looks to broaden its games output beyond the expiration of its exclusivity deal with Warner Bros.TT Games.

VGC reported in February that 2K has secured the Lego licence for a range of sports games, kicking off with a football (soccer) game developed by Sumo Digital.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Developers have to accept children play their games if you have a problem with that limit your adult content.

ParaSeoul

I like how they don't address how. I doubt they'll do anything beyond what social media does and that is already filled with creeps.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Developers have to accept children play their games if you have a problem with that limit your adult content.
season 7 episode 23 GIF

Reactions: Fuz

Novacain

Yeah I don't believe it. I think this is fluff speech that when you read between the lines actually means "we are creating a safe space to market and sell to children and exploit their naive desire for impulse buys like we always do in this industry".

Zannegan

You wish you could take any of this at face value, but you know it's all about targeted monetization, if not today with some virtual currency, then grooming their little brains to spend big in future. Skinnerland.

Shifty

Good to hear that Uncle Tim is spearheading a safe space whereby predating on children by way of their parents' wallets is exclusive to Epic and their lucrative brand partners.

You can dress a wolf up in soft sheepskin, but it's still a wolf 🤷‍♂️

Zeroing

Banned
I’m laughing at this because this is beyond stupid!
Corporation’s worried about children!!! Profit must be the reason!

Top Bottom