• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga sells over 3.2 million units, sets new record

ManaByte

How many of those were the scalpers buying the deluxe edition just to flip the mini fig on eBay for $200?

Topher

Gold Member
Not a great look to be bragging about their sales when so many folks are still experiencing so many game breaking bugs.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Their customers do.

True, but a couple of youtube videos don't represent the entire user base. You can find outlier videos about people running into issues on youtube after every notable game release.

And then you have dozens of people saying they don't have any issues like that.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

At $60 a unit that is $192,000,000. Pretty good. I wonder what development and marketing cost were.

Topher

Gold Member
True, but a couple of youtube videos don't represent the entire user base. You can find outlier videos about people running into issues on youtube after every notable game release.

And then you have dozens of people saying they don't have any issues like that.

Couple of youtube videos. Right....

As well as one of our own....

I hope TT can address the surprising performance and resolution difference in the PS5 version of LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga over the Xbox Series X version sooner rather than later because it is much larger than I would have expected. The resolution differences in this game were confirmed long before the Digital Foundry tech analysis video and it was clear from their testing that they didn't really play any of the versions extensively otherwise they would have noticed the screen tearing and lower framerates in the PS5 version and highlighted it in the video. I was actually very disappointed in the DF video; it was not only late coming but felt incomplete compared with other YouTube comparisons that came out days before theirs.

Personally, as an owner of a PS5 and Xbox Series X, and having played many third-party games on both systems, I feel that the consoles are pretty much on par with each other and they are much closer in terms of framerates and resolutions than the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were (I also owned both). The biggest differences for me is the Xbox Series X having VRR, which gave it a massive advantage over the PS5 and is really the reason I bought it last year and switched to buying third-party games on the Microsoft console instead.

As hinted at, I bought the Xbox Series X version of this game, as I do for most third-party games now, rather than the PS5 version as I suspected it might have screen tearing based on previous LEGO games on the PS4/PS4 Pro and, of course, the PS5 still doesn't have VRR to help "hide" framerate stutters and screen tearing ("in the coming months" though...). I'm glad I did but even then, based on 20 hours of playing the Xbox Series X version in 60 fps Performance mode, I can easily say that this is the buggiest game I've played since Cyberpunk 2077 on my PS5. I've had several crashes and freezes as well as two black screen bugs during cutscenes, not to mention lots of animation glitches where there character slides across the screen during puzzle room sections. Not 100% sure if the PS5 version is the same - Digital Foundry made no mention of stability issues during their video but given that their coverage felt rushed and incomplete then it wouldn't surprise me if that's because they only played a couple of hours of each game - but I suspect it is because I have seen numerous posts from people who have had these issues so I know I'm not alone.

I am sure the crashes and performance issues will be addressed in time but the big issue is that most people are playing these games *right now* so their experience of the game is being spoilt by these bugs which is not great.

I'm not saying this is representative of all gamers, but this game clearly has a lot of problems that need to be fixed.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
At $60 a unit that is $192,000,000. Pretty good. I wonder what development and marketing cost were.

Probably their new engine development cost the most, and likely marketing. But this is gonna be a big success story for TT games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm really enjoying the game. Good on them, need to get that patch out though. Ive had 3 occasions of infinite loading bugs. Not good, have to restart and its fine but still.

Game looks and plays great, great pallet cleanser for Elden Ring.

ClosBSAS

Lol i expexted more since sales analysts said it was on par with elden ring lol. Nowhere near elden ring numbers.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm really enjoying the game. Good on them, need to get that patch out though. Ive had 3 occasions of infinite loading bugs. Not good, have to restart and its fine but still.

Game looks and plays great, great pallet cleanser for Elden Ring.

The bugs are why I'm holding off playing this. Definitely going to as it looks like it will be a fun game to Platinum, but I've got plenty of other games to play until they get this sorted out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The bugs are why I'm holding off playing this. Definitely going to as it looks like it will be a fun game to Platinum, but I've got plenty of other games to play until they get this sorted out.

I can totally understand that, I think if I had not bought digitally day one I would have held off for a patch too. It is great fun though, especially if you are a fan of the films and lego (of course haha) Ive never really played the lego games before but I do actually own loads of the Star Wars lego and have done for years, so its kind of cool collecting all the microfighters etc that I already own in game.

Topher

Gold Member
The game finally got updated.

Numerous fixes to stability, quality, progression and performance issues throughout the title, including fixes for:

• Issue in Episode 7 where in certain situations Maz would not be present on Takodana to continue Story mission ‘Friends of the Resistance’.
  • Issue in Episode 3 where in certain situations the level trigger for ‘The High Ground’ could fail to appear.
  • Issue in ‘Green Harvest’ freeplay mission where under certain criteria the camera would be stuck on Tatooine indefinitely.
Implemented 4 new Capital Ship encounters in Local Space adding 34 additional Kyber Bricks to collect:

• Fulminatrix
  • Home One
  • Invisible Hand
  • Venator

Last edited:
Top Bottom