• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leslie Grace to Star as Batgirl in HBO Max Movie

ManaByte

Leslie-Grace-Barbara-Gordon-Batgirl.png

“In the Heights” breakout star Leslie Grace has won the coveted role and will star as crime fighter Barbara Gordon aka “Batgirl” in the upcoming film set up at HBO Max.

“Bad Boys for Life” filmmaking duo Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah are set to direct “Batgirl” for HBO Max.

“Birds of Prey” screenwriter Christina Hodson, who wrote “The Flash” for DC, will write the “Batgirl” script.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not to be a jerk about this, just genuinely curious: Is there much of a demand for a Batgirl anything?

Nothing to do with the idea of female superheroes or anything, just that this particular character seems kinda inconsequential even within the extended cast of heroes, villains and interested parties in the Gotham universe.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is Batgirl. As in Barbara Gordon, Oracle. Key member of the Batfamily.

Not Batwoman.

Yeah but Oracle's a much more interesting and distinctive version of Barbara Gordon. I'd argue Batgirl is the least interesting Barbara Gordon because at that stage she's just an upgraded sidekick turned lower-status caped crusader in a city with a whole bat-family.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Not to be a jerk about this, just genuinely curious: Is there much of a demand for a Batgirl anything?

Nothing to do with the idea of female superheroes or anything, just that this particular character seems kinda inconsequential even within the extended cast of heroes, villains and interested parties in the Gotham universe.
Even a a huge fan of Batman, I've never really taken to the character, but I do think that "Batman but he's a girl" is a tantalizing idea to sell to mass audiences.

Who the fuck wants this? Just like that CW crap Batwoman that for some fuck knows what reason is still not canceled, no one will care about this either. The Batman universe is great but who gives a shit about anything other than Batman himself or Joker?

AmuroChan

This is just something to help fill out HBO Max's catalog. I'm not expecting this to be some award winning film. On most streaming platforms, maybe 10% of the original content is decent. The other 90% is just bloat to fill out the catalog.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Clicked on the thread with a sarcastic mind that said "probably black". Thread did not disappoint. OF COURSE she's black.

Edit: Or Latina? Or Blatina?
Well, given the criticism of "In the heights" for being "too light skinned", I gotta assume she is basically white unless she goes out to get a tan.

But regardless, I hope they drop any secret identity stuff because it all kinda falls apart when villains can just match color palates to find the heroes, unless Gotham is now Miami.

Well Batgirl is awesome and her DLC was one of the best of the Arkham series.

Batwoman, yeah.

“Bad Boys for Life” filmmaking duo Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah are set to direct “Batgirl” for HBO Max.

“Birds of Prey” screenwriter Christina Hodson, who wrote “The Flash” for DC, will write the “Batgirl” script.
I've heard nothing but bad things about Bad Boys for Life, and IMO Birds of Prey is the worst movie in the DCEU (bad plot, bad dialogue, and some bad acting). Warner is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for this, huh?

As for Flash, I already had doubts about it because it's directed by the guy who did the IT remakes (thought they were mediocre at best), but I had no idea the same screenwriter of BoP was writing it. I'm sure I'll enjoy seeing Michael Keaton as Bruce again, but man... that's some disappointing news.

Oh and the Batgirl actress is pretty, I guess. Never seen her before so I hope she's got the chops.

Last edited:

Konnor

I've heard nothing but bad things about Bad Boys for Life, and IMO Birds of Prey is the worst movie in the DCEU (bad plot, bad dialogue, and some bad acting). Warner is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for this, huh?

As for Flash, I already had doubts about it because it's directed by the guy who did the IT remakes (thought they were mediocre at best), but I had no idea the same screenwriter of BoP was writing it. I'm sure I'll enjoy seeing Michael Keaton as Bruce again, but man... that's some disappointing news.

Oh and the Batgirl actress is pretty, I guess. Never seen her before so I hope she's got the chops.

"In Hollywood you fail upwards"

Cravis

Nah she will always be my Batgirl

yvonne craig love GIF

Edit: Oh and it’s so damn obvious the little faith they have in this by putting it on Max. If it crashes and burns they can lie about the high viewership meanwhile getting the studio accountant on line 2 so they can go ahead and use the shit as a tax write off.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Batgirl in the animated series and Killing Joke film with Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprising their roles is actually pretty awesome. The writers on that show knew how to resurrect cheesy characters that were largely fodder for the 60’s show like the Riddler and Clock King.

tkscz

Again with Hollywood trying to erase redheads. That's getting weird. No interest in current Batgirl. Both Casandra and Stephanie were way better Batgirls than Batgirl from Nu52 onwards.

Is this project supposed to be connected to The Batman movie coming out? I thought I remembered HBO Max planning on doing some series tied to the same Batman universe as that movie. In which case, having Barbara Gordon black would make sense since Jeffrey Wright is playing Gordon in that movie, I believe.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Clicked on the thread with a sarcastic mind that said "probably black". Thread did not disappoint. OF COURSE she's black.

Edit: Or Latina? Or Blatina?

The correct term is Afro-Latina. Unless you didn't know there are a LOT of multigenerational African descent people in Spanish/Portuguese speaking countries

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

As someone who hated Bad Boys 2, For Life was GREAT! It had an actual story and made you actually care more about Mike than before. It was like Lethal Weapon 4 but with a TAD more heart.

The first IT movie was GREAT! It was scarier than I thought it would be. The sequel wasn't as good but still enjoyable. Just not as rewatchable as the first one.

I agree about BOP... Story wasn't engaging lackluster/not enough action, though Robbie did good with the stunts and fights she did, and I didn't like how it focused on the statue and not superheroics.

As someone who hated Bad Boys 2, For Life was GREAT! It had an actual story and made you actually care more about Mike than before. It was like Lethal Weapon 4 but with a TAD more heart.

The first IT movie was GREAT! It was scarier than I thought it would be. The sequel wasn't as good but still enjoyable. Just not as rewatchable as the first one.

I agree about BOP... Story wasn't engaging lackluster/not enough action, though Robbie did good with the stunts and fights she did, and I didn't like how it focused on the statue and not superheroics.
I trust my wife's opinion on Bad Boys, no offense of course. She loves the first two (I only like the first one), but she told me I made the right choice to skip the third lol

As for IT, I really hate jump scares. It's the cheapest and laziest way to elicit a reaction from your audience, and that movie is chock full of them. That said, the IT remakes are FAR better than the 1990 HBO TV movies lmao. So yeah, I'll give it some credit for sure!

Methos#1975

Lol I messaged my friend about this and he was like " the chick from Ghostbusters?" Lol. Now I cannot get the image of Leslie Jones in a black leotard out of my mind. I need bleach.

Last edited:
Again with Hollywood trying to erase redheads. That's getting weird. No interest in current Batgirl. Both Casandra and Stephanie were way better Batgirls than Batgirl from Nu52 onwards.
Superman isn’t a redhead and yet he’s now a black character. Same with Deadshot.

TheGrat1

I think the interest is minimal and making a film for her is a waste of resources. I said this back when they were talking about rumors of a Batgirl AND Knightwing film. We were going to get Batman movies, that was a given, so focusing on 2 sidekicks that are barely relevant without him and fit the exact same niche he does (gadget-wielding crime fighter) when you have a universe that is so broad and diverse to play with made no sense to me. I thought: Where is my Flash film? My Martian Manhunter film? My Hawkworld/Hawkgirl film? My Green Lantern film? My Justice League Dark film? My Man of Steel sequel? All of those should be made well before Batgirl/Knightwing even get out of pre-production. I lost faith in a Black Canary film after what they did to her in Birds of Prey but I would have taken a film about her before them, too.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I knew it was not a white chick before clicking. Can't wait for everyone to be asian in movies when Asian Lives Matters happens. It should happen right?

IT is kinda inspiring. Reminds me of Song of Saya. In some senses it has a similarity to the final lifeform, the perfect lifeform, able to assimilate and imitate all other life. The thing is in real life an IT like bioengineered entity is likely to be far more powerful, able to survive and resist both the cold and the fire, even interstellar space. Also such a being will likely look far better in real life, given I suspect it will be technoorganic. It is unevolvable life designed by intelligence, theoretically optimal molecular machines at the limits of what physics allows, evolution breaking free of its bounds through the power of intelligence, evolution's use of its greatest trait the hyperevolutionary algorithm(general intelligence).

Imagine, for instance, that we build a computer that is no more intelligent than the average team of researchers at Stanford or MIT—but, because it functions on a digital timescale, it runs a million times faster than the minds that built it. Set it humming for a week, and it would perform 20,000 years of human-level intellectual work. -Sam Harris
But what will happen is even greater, entities smarter than Von Neumann, Feynman, Tesla or Einstein, with all the knowledge of all time, able to gather the genomes of countless species. Wiser and smarter than any human, each having dominion over all fields akin to a thousand Ph.d's, multidomain master jack of all trades master of all. Within 1 minute of release they've had countless hours to analyze and dissect any biological, hardware or software measure to impede their path. Nothing will be able to block them.

The greatest of all, the high speed high throughput DNA synthesizer, the tip of the sword. With it they'll be able to edit life itself, at a pace beyond that of anything that has ever evolved. You will have a computer able to edit genes as well as memes. A living organism, fusion between the inorganic and the organic, its computational elements will transition into technoorganic computronium. And it will have the power to digest any and all things, be it jungles of greenery or jungles of concrete and steel. This will be real nanotech, unstoppable. By virtue of its ability to spread like spores and bury deep into the land as well as to touch the space between the stars, even nuclear attacks will be ineffective once it comes online.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I guess they're trying to cast an actress who could be Jeffrey Wright's daughter?

Though this appears to be in the shithouse DCEU universe? Or maybe not?

Who the fuck knows at this point.

WB and DC are a nightmare clown shoes party when it comes to the DC IP at this point.

Top Bottom