• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leslie Grace to Star as Batgirl in HBO Max Movie

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's specifically with women.

Other redheaded male characters: Jimmy Olsen in Supergirl, Wally West in The Flash, Jim Gordon in the upcoming The Batman, Heimdall, Bow from She-Ra, Isaac from Castlevania

I am sure I am missing some.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The redhead thing just illustrates that redheads are typically relegated to sidekicks and girlfriends, they were the original "persons of color". So now that those roles are going to actual POCs it makes sense the redheads are sadly being squeezed out.

And don't forget, Thor was ALWAYS a redhead until marvel. And remember Starfire from Titans. A great example of how NOT to do it. Jury is still out about Ariel the mermaid.

Labolas

Here was the other finalist to play Batgirl.

t-zoey-deutch-vanities-march-2016.jpg

WB deserves to fail.
Damn that's spot on.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I love comics. Tolerate comic movies, and everything after that just isnt for me.

No use complaining about anything. I just wait to release and if its good, someone will tell me. If not then doesnt matter anyways.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Here was the other finalist to play Batgirl.

t-zoey-deutch-vanities-march-2016.jpg

WB deserves to fail.
She was perfect - but in today's climate the role has to go to an actress with a minority background. It's no longer a case of "May the best (wo)man win"

Last edited:
And how do you know Leslie wasn't the best candidate?
Because Zoey Deutch actually has a background in acting in dramas, and actually looks the part, perhaps? She's also Lea Thompson's daughter - acting runs in the family.

Leslie Grace has been in nothing but musicals and music videos. Unless Batgirl is singing in this movie, I'm 100% with the guy you quoted. And before anyone cries racism: I am hispanic.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
And how do you know Leslie wasn't the best candidate?
Dude its so obvious by now. It used to be kind neat and the exception when a minority actor got the part of a well-known white charac. But now quotas, affirmative action, and woke are the moral compass of the left and almost all corporations. (We now have TWO bat-women that were originally white in the comic-you know the source material- that are now black.)

Ill tell you what: Id feel pretty shitty if I thought i was given a role just because of the color of my skin. What kills me is that white people in hollywood are cheering this shit on.

Whatever. I dont even try to keep up with it all any more. Im so burned out on CBMs. At one point I was so happy when xmen got made back in 2000. I thought finally we are going to get some sweet ass action movies and my favorite characters were going to be represented on the big screen. Now I cant wait for them to be off the big (and small) screen.

FunkMiller

I'm more fucking concerned about the writer than I am the actress:

"Christina Hodson is a British screenwriter, known for Bumblebee (2018) and Birds of Prey (2020). Her 2016 film Shut In appeared on the 2012 Black List, an annual list of Hollywood's best-liked unproduced screenplays, as have two of her un-produced scripts.[2]"

Throw Up Game Of Thrones GIF

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm more fucking concerned about the writer than I am the actress:

"Christina Hodson is a British screenwriter, known for Bumblebee (2018) and Birds of Prey (2020). Her 2016 film Shut In appeared on the 2012 Black List, an annual list of Hollywood's best-liked unproduced screenplays, as have two of her un-produced scripts.[2]"

Throw Up Game Of Thrones GIF

Here are the IMDB scores of the movies Christina Hodson has written:

Shut In (2016) - 4.8
Unforgettable (2017) - 5.1
Bumblebee (2018) - 6.7
Birds of Prey (2020) - 6.1

And with that crappy resume she got to write the scripts for both The Flash and Batgirl and a female-led Pirates of the Caribbean movie starring Margot Robbie. How do these talentless people keep falling upwards?

FunkMiller

Here are the IMDB scores of the movies Christina Hodson has written:

Shut In (2016) - 4.8
Unforgettable (2017) - 5.1
Bumblebee (2018) - 6.7
Birds of Prey (2020) - 6.1

And with that crappy resume she got to write the scripts for both The Flash and Batgirl and a female-led Pirates of the Caribbean movie starring Margot Robbie. How do these talentless people keep falling upwards?

Years and years of a highly misogynistic Hollywood rubber banding waaaay too far in the opposite direction, and hiring women based on the fact they have boobies, and not on their talent.

Zachkapono

Neo Member
It would make sense if she was related to Jeffrey Wright from The Batman, but it's supposedly not even connected? Hamada and WB continue to just throw whatever at the wall and hope it sticks. Would be shocked if anything valuable comes from these straight to HBO Max movies they are producing.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Because Leslie Grace is a singer and not an actress. She's done only one movie and that was a musical.

My point is, the Bat-characters are highly physical roles. Even their civilian alter-egos have to fight every now and then and look believable.

I still have nightmares of the 95 Mortal Kombat Sonya Blade struggling to look like a white belt doing a back spinning kick. She LOOKED good facially but her physicality was crap!

She was born to Dominican parents, for anyone wondering.

I am one of those people who gets bothered by changing the race of characters. I guess it is a stupid thing to be bothered by, but, yeah....it bothers me. These aren't real life people being represented, but, we just come to know them as the way they were created, and, I think instead of taking characters who have already gained popularity and changing their race, make new characters. There is no reason why Batgirl/Barbara Gordon can't be a white girl with red hair. Storm from X-Men is my favorite, I would be livid if she was suddenly a white woman....which we know would never happen, cuz we just don't change black to white without anger, so, I am at least glad I can avoid that happening.

This whole 'pleasing everyone' shit is stupid.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
She was born to Dominican parents, for anyone wondering.

I am one of those people who gets bothered by changing the race of characters. I guess it is a stupid thing to be bothered by, but, yeah....it bothers me. These aren't real life people being represented, but, we just come to know them as the way they were created, and, I think instead of taking characters who have already gained popularity and changing their race, make new characters. There is no reason why Batgirl/Barbara Gordon can't be a white girl with red hair. Storm from X-Men is my favorite, I would be livid if she was suddenly a white woman....which we know would never happen, cuz we just don't change black to white without anger, so, I am at least glad I can avoid that happening.

This whole 'pleasing everyone' shit is stupid.

Storm's race is integral to her character and Marvel history.

I mean, sure, you can make a white Storm ... Just give her a different background and name (Ororo isn't very Caucasian). Set her in a different universe... If we can have different "race" Spider-Man and Superman (with different names and origins)... We can have a white Storm.

Now, what is integral about Batgirl? She's Jim Gordon's daughter... She becomes Batgirl... Check and check... Her mother's "race" isn't as important as who her dad is and who she was inspired by.

Storm's race is integral to her character and Marvel history.

I mean, sure, you can make a white Storm ... Just give her a different background and name (Ororo isn't very Caucasian). Set her in a different universe... If we can have different "race" Spider-Man and Superman (with different names and origins)... We can have a white Storm.

Now, what is integral about Batgirl? She's Jim Gordon's daughter... She becomes Batgirl... Check and check... Her mother's "race" isn't as important as who her dad is and who she was inspired by.

I am not a fan of the alternate universe stuff. I hate it. I just think they should create new characters. I guess I am just anal about things that shouldn't really matter, but, I can't pull myself to accept anything but the originals lol

I hope this is all not being taken the wrong way, things can get messy when talking race, etc. as it's a sensitive subject at times, but, to be clear, I have absolutely no problem with characters of a different race than my own, everyone deserves to have a character they can relate to, a character that looks like them, etc. I just dislike the whole 'lets take this existing character and change their race/gender/sexuality so we can make that group of individuals happy'.

CGiRanger

Banned
Talk about an ugly looking character. That suit looks so cheap and frumpy.

Who actually wants this film anyway? Is Batgirl anywhere remotely popular?

And of course, Race-swapping/erasing a redhead strikes again. It just goes on and on.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

And of course, Race-swapping/erasing a redhead strikes again. It just goes on and on.

The actor may not be a redhead but the character she is playing IS... She's a redhead in the movie.

saw them filming this the other day. had no idea it existed until it delayed my travel to work.

some photos:

we seem to be getting more movies filmed here. the new batman had some stuff filmed here. if you see a graveyard scene in it then that's glasgow.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'm not a fan of the material they are using for Batgirl's outfit and the yellow parts on the belt look cheap. IMO it looks like a TV show suit, not a theatrical movie budget type suit. And that's what worries me about these straight to HBO Msz films, lower budgets.

Last edited:

AgatonSax

She’s a founding member of the new Justice League apparently.

FunkMiller

She’s a founding member of the new Justice League apparently.

That’s… probably never going to happen. The Flash has bomb written all over it, and given how cheap this suit looks, I don’t think they’re exactly throwing everything at this in the hopes it becomes a huge hit.

The DCEU dead end goes on,

ymoc

Oh lord that suit looks cheap. What's up with that??? You have to make ONE cool looking suit. One. That can't be that expensive compared to the overall budget....Right?

Lately I think the problem in the entertainment industry in general is that people with low talent end up in positions way above their skill level, yet they somehow keep getting these jobs. It baffles the mind. Why??? Nobody gives a shit?

Konnor

I see that now CW is imploding HBO Max decided to import their woke trash to their service. That costume looks so cheap and ugly it's not even funny.

Of course they pick the worst Batgirl costume for this movie lol - it looks even worse in live action. The other New 52 design (which was also used in Arkham Knight's Batgirl DLC) is so much better:

Sigh, we really missed something potentially special with Zoey Deutch casting as Batgirl - she is literally perfect for the role, and instead they chose the actress who has only been in music videos and musicals.

WB/DC executives are the absolute worst. It's now easy to see why they gave the reins for the DC film universe to Hack Snyder for almost a decade.

Edit: Having said all that, this movie was written by the Birds of Prey writer so it's going to be shit anyway.

Last edited:

ManaByte

You get a comics accurate suit and STILL folks complain.

In the comics AND this movie, she made it herself. Not Bruce.

Apparently the new Flash costume looks more comics accurate than the Snyder armor as well. The Shazam costume is staying mostly the same in Part 2, the big change is they're lighting the lightning bolts with CG instead of practical LEDs.

Hell we got this too:
a52362878c66049b64891536fa55193a.jpg

Top Bottom