• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Let me Solo Her' elected Gamer of the Year by Pc Gamer

Draugoth

Gold Member

TzGQdwDTJnEsn6d6yvhJFc-1200-80.jpg.webp

ksrJTUI.jpg

Sprawling soulsborne Elden Ring was one of the best games I played this year. It took the crown at The Game Awards, and was probably our team's most-played game of 2022. This great game also introduced us to the greatest gamer of 2022, a Good Samaritan who put his life on the line a thousand times for total strangers in The Lands Between.

Let Me Solo Her, the naked Elden Ring player who wears a pot for a helmet and wields two swords, helped heaps of Tarnished defeat the game's toughest boss, and did it in the most impressive way. His prowess spawned tons of fan art, memes, imposters, and praise across social media. As Wes Fenlon said when his name started to gain traction back in April, he was Elden Ring's first "legendary player(opens in new tab)," and since then, absolutely nobody has taken his place. (Though MissMikkaa(opens in new tab), a streamer who played two instances of Elden Ring simultaneously, one on a DDR pad, certainly deserves a nod for foot-eye coordination.)

To understand how ridiculously good Let Me Solo Her is, you need to know how the Malenia fight works. She's located pretty deep into the game's second half, down in the roots of a failed attempt at a second Erdtree; an optional fight that resembles FromSoftware's previous punishing duels with Bloodborne's Lady Maria and Dark Souls 3's Sister Friede.

Malenia wields a long curved sword and the scarlet rot that's infected her since she was born. Unlike the status effect you can encounter in the swamps that drains your health, Malenia's scarlet rot affliction is beneficial to her. Any attack that she lands on you (or a summoned player) gives her back large chunks of health. FromSoftware has made you confront bosses who could heal before, but it's rare they're this aggressive. Malenia's infamous Waterfowl Dance attack is a tornado of sword swipes. If it hits you, you're probably dead, but even if it doesn't end you it'll likely heal back all the damage you did to her.

Because so many boss fights in Elden Ring are about utilizing your healing and damage resources before they run out, getting hit by a Waterfowl Dance that doesn't kill you is often just as bad as dying—it effectively restarts the fight.

Only in a FromSoftware game would a guy in his underwear be praised as a god. Reddit user spacemanticore(opens in new tab) went into the game's animation files and demonstrated how unbelievably small the window is to dodge it. If you know the trick it can be avoided, but on top of her other attacks it's still a brutal fight. And that's only the first phase. After you down Malenia once, she gets back up and blossoms into the goddess of rot, grows wings, and quickly darts around the room.

Malenia quickly gained infamy as players started to encounter her back in late February. While most fights in Elden Ring can be solved by summoning in other players, given Malenia's sheer difficulty and self-heal mechanic, even co-op didn't necessarily guarantee an easy win.

Unless you managed to pluck a legend from the summoning pool, that is.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don’t get it
He shows up naked at the hardest boss in the game and leaves his summon sign down, and his name is literally "let me solo her." Then you summon him and he kills the boss for you without armor and without getting hit.

It's a commentary on how busted the balancing is on Elden Ring that he needs to do this for so many people, but also recognition for how good this guy is, and also just has a funny sense of humor about it.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
that's all there is to get.
No it’s not.
He shows up naked at the hardest boss in the game and leaves his summon sign down, and his name is literally "let me solo her." Then you summon him and he kills the boss for you without armor and without getting hit.

It's a commentary on how busted the balancing is on Elden Ring that he needs to do this for so many people, but also recognition for how good this guy is, and also just has a funny sense of humor about it.
I obviously understand what goes on here, but thats literally making hudreds of people skip one of the best bosses in the game. Why would anyone want to do that, let alone celebrate it?

It’s a commentary how insanely inept people are at this game if anything, not sure if so is PC gamer or is this article a deliberate hyperbole

Punished Miku

Gold Member
No it’s not.

I obviously understand what goes on here, but thats literally making hudreds of people skip one of the best bosses in the game. Why would anyone want to do that, let alone celebrate it?

It’s a commentary how insanely inept people are at this game if anything, not sure if so is PC gamer or is this article a deliberate hyperbole
Tons and tons of people will never be able to beat this boss, ever.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The response is always "What about those poor eSports people and speed runners?"

Not like it's an important title, but it's cool to recognise someone that became a legend in the community for the GOTY. He'll be remembered for a few years at least.

Hugare

Dude killed her more than 1000 times to help other players

He is a fucking legend in my eyes

No it’s not.

The Office Reaction GIF

Spaceman292

Banned
No it’s not.

Were you born without a sense of humour?

Fake

This is stupid.

As much I respect this person, some cathegories are beyond stupid.

Every year a new dumbass cathegory that media keep creating. I guess every gaming site making top 10 is not enough.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
No it’s not.

& there's no way that this is maybe a commentary on how insanely serious people are about this game?...

0neAnd0nly

I think this is good, he deserves recognition and it’s pretty friggin impressive!

The other player who plays it with a DDR mat… that is awesome too!

Top Bottom