• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's stop this "New Nintendo Patents" crap before it even starts.

BuddyC

Looks like this stuff is making the rounds again, just got this in my inbox.

Hey guys,

I don't know if anyone else has caught wind of this yet, but it looks like Nintendo filed four new patents on last Tuesday, including "Interface for controlling a graphical image" and "Controller Grip for a video game machine." Be sure to check out the images included with the first patent, there are lots of diagrams illustrating some sort of glove interacting with a screen image, as well as others.

Interface for controlling a graphical image:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...ND&d=ptxt&s1=nintendo&OS=nintendo&RS=nintendo

Controller Grip for a Video game machine:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...ND&d=ptxt&s1=nintendo&OS=nintendo&RS=nintendo

Sorry if this is old—keep up the good work!

Things to note:

From the first patent, regarding interface:
Inventors: Kramer; James F. (Redwood City, CA); Maier; Felix (Oberboihingen, DE); Kuo; Laurence (Toronto, CA)
Assignee: Immersion Corporation (San Jose, CA)
Appl. No.: 837860
Filed: April 17, 2001

From the second, about controller grips:
Inventors: Hughes, IV; Richard James-Patrick (30-25 31st St., Apartment 4A, Astoria, NY 11102)
Appl. No.: 574044
Filed: May 18, 2000

In conclusion:
Even if these patents were filed/assigned to Nintendo, they're old old old. Sure, they were recently approved, but the applications for these patents were filed 4 to 5 years ago.

So please, as bishop would say, don't bring this mud into my nice, clean house.

Culex

Banned
Agreed. There's more often than not, far too much speculation on patents that have been pending for years.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
I rencently check the USPTO database. All the recent Nintendo's patents are about the DS.And i'm not talking about some new DS "stuff" just the DS (A handheld with 2 LCD, touch screen & co)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
has there ever been a case where a patent has revealed info about a new system

sangreal said:

That's not a Nintendo system though. It's all the Nintendo fanatics that dig through mouldy old patents.

Thus far, there hasn't been a single bloody "discovery" from a patent. They've all been old.

Top Bottom