• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk and the Twitter acquisition saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Egi44bSXkAA8Kk5.jpg

Hari Seldon

The sequence of this video is extremely strange. It starts off with a prerecorded interview where Musk is talking about how significant his AI research has come along. Then it immediately transitions into what looks like a complete ambush of a question, "Why buy twitter?". Musk's seemingly off-the-cuff response is: "We need to open source the algorithms to save democracy". People are talking about the politics, but from the video structure it almost flows like Musk is buying it to save us from AI lmao.

Vick

"My strong intuitive sense is that having a public platform that is maximally trusted and broadly inclusive is extremely important to the future of civilisation. I don't care about the economics at all."

And my not-as-strong intuitive sense is telling me that this might be the best thing happened to humanity in the last decade.

SJRB

Gold Member
Elon has done multiple one-hour interviews over the last week, ranging from a multitude of topics. AI, climate change, interstellar travel, Tesla, Neuralink, Optimus humanoid robot. All topics with the end goal of improving human civilization, taking the entire human race to a next, better level.

There is no way anyone sat down, watched any of those interviews and still thinks he is a fascist psychopath or whatever I see narrowminded morons on places like Era post. Saying such things only shows utter ignorance. It's astounding, really.

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
Elon has done multiple one-hour interviews over the last week, ranging from a multitude of topics. AI, climate change, interstellar travel, Tesla, Neuralink, Optimus humanoid robot. All topics with the end goal of improving human civilization, taking the entire human race to a next, better level.

There is no way anyone sat down, watched any of those interviews and still thinks he is a fascist psychopath or whatever I see narrowminded morons on places like Era post. Saying such things only shows utter ignorance. It's astounding, really.
fans of elon musk are also fans of jordon peterson. if there isn't "the other side" we would live in a fascist version musk's earth.

Irobot82

Lots of insight on his perspective with the buyout and his plans for Twitter. Better to hear it direct than from reactionaries on either side.

Do you have a link to the full interview they talked about in the TEDTalk?

Nevermind:

Last edited:
He is the richest man on earth because he is is keeping the human dream alive during a time of unbridled misanthropy. Elon still believes in the good of humanity and the firm belief that we can better ourselves if we just try.
Certainly a flawed being, but capable of so much greatness and a source of inspiration.

When you hear him speak, I think he is truly honest about the things he cares about and he really wants to make this world a better place. I cannot fathom how one can listen to him and come to the conclusion that he is hateful or a fascist. He is just holding onto enlightenment values, the merit of hard work, fundamental moral principles and a bit of common sense which allowed him to achieve greatness.

A.Romero

I like how forward thinking he is but there is reason for controversy. Having a hard time getting over his response to the child rescue in Thailand.

Also hard to take seriously when he does stuff like comparing a prime minister with Hitler.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Watching the TED interview now. It’s fantastic.

An entirely sensible position.., the only concern is obviously what laws you apply from which nations. One imagines the ones from most western democracies, which tend to align with one another on a majority of the kinds of things Twitter users come across.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Anti-religion? That's a positive?
Anti-religion in the sense that you don't think religion is a positive? That's in the eyes of the beholder. For me it's an overall positive. For others who come from a strong religious background or hold strong religious beliefs of their own that will obviously be a negative. People are free to do whatever they want though. Religion doesn't really get me worked up one way or another unless somebody is trying to force theirs on to me.

Anti-religion as in persecuting someone or mistreating someone based on their religion? Yeah that's definitely not a positive.

The tweet you posted is no longer available. What was it?

Also, for the mods who might be reading, I'll not be making this thread political, but if others do can they please be removed from the thread rather than it be closed? It would be nice to be able to discuss serious topics with real world consequences without allowing us vs them distractions to ruin that for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
So is this guy just like a Molotov Cocktail or what? I don’t know much about him but this feels like if a GAF poster bought Twitter. Is he basically going to un-cuck-ify the platform? I’ve just been reading some newspaper stories of all of the Twatter soiboy staff sobbing in to their caramel lattes, so it appears he’s already doing some good work just buy having a bid accepted.

BigBooper

So is this guy just like a Molotov Cocktail or what? I don’t know much about him but this feels like if a GAF poster bought Twitter. Is he basically going to un-cuck-ify the platform? I’ve just been reading some newspaper stories of all of the Twatter soiboy staff sobbing in to their caramel lattes, so it appears he’s already doing some good work just buy having a bid accepted.
I think Elon would fit into gaf pretty well.

Speaking about free speech laws, what prevents Twitter from no longer operating in other countries that would restrict more than US laws? Can't people in those countries just go to US websites still? Why can't they just say, ok we won't provide a service for your country, but you're free to use our US business?

Last edited:

///PATRIOT

Banned
Hey I have a serious question: I've learned that the deal is not actually finished, the deal must go through the shareholders vote and if the majority don't vote in favor this fells off, but why is everybody saying it is done?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hey I have a serious question: I've learned that the deal is not actually finished, the deal must go through the shareholders vote and if the majority don't vote in favor this fells off, but why is everybody saying it is done?
Then they'll have to deal with the SEC for doing a disservice to all of their shareholders after initially agreeing to it. Lawsuits, etc., that can literally bankrupt the company, and everyone loses, even the no voters.

From what I understand.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

They wouldn’t have briefed out that the deal was going through if there was any issue with the shareholders. This stuff is all sorted out before public confirmations are issued.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Watching the gigafactory interview and Elon talking about Starship:
Animated GIF

No dude. It doesn’t matter that he’s one of the only people on the planet committed to the course of pushing proper human progress.

He said pronouns suck, so he’s obviously Satan.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Yes if we were still living in the 1800's that is
with the knowledge and technology that we have today
i cannot believe in religion anymore sorry
We have a better grasp of what we don’t know today precisely because of knowledge and technology.

We have a better grasp of what we don’t know today precisely because of knowledge and technology.
Exactly and many methods to test our scientific theories so why still believe in a ancient religions that are made by men thousands of years ago food for thought

BigBooper

Exactly and many methods to test our scientific theories so why still believe in a ancient religions that are made by men thousands of years ago food for thought
I don't know about other religions, but modern technology and methods has done nothing to disprove the principle foundations of Christianity.

Not trying to convert you, just saying one does not determine the other.

Last edited:

Droxcy

It might be a cesspool but can be a decent source of information in helping the development of A.I.

There is tons of strong pockets of info on many subjects on Twitter currently just have to look for your hobbies and things you like. A lot of threaded tweets are getting really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom