• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk and the Twitter acquisition saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
haha, I agreed with Musks meme on Era and got permed for it. Got dog piled. Sworn at, was accused of trolling. Losers.
How Dare You Greta GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
He could make it so the company breaks even, and the verge would still report it like he’s trying to make money. There is nothing wrong with him firing useless people if he wants to run things efficiently.

That's all mere speculation on your part. You don't know any of the people he may target to be fired, what their jobs entail, etc. The fact remains he's a shameless hypocrite and that was pointed out.

Twitter quote.
It really isn't, though. Far left people who challenge the establishment do get censored, and plenty of others on the left have valued free speech all their lives. The same is true for the right, and people who don't identify as either. It's a mistake when people politicize free speech, and everyone who believes in it and understands the value of it needs to not accept it becoming another culture war issue.

Last edited:

Mistake

That's all mere speculation on your part. You don't know any of the people he may target to be fired, what their jobs entail, etc. The fact remains he's a shameless hypocrite and that was pointed out.
Again, by the verge. So if you take their word for it, instead of Elon's, then yeah, it would say that wouldn't it? I know for a fact that Elon has lots of plans to improve the platform, as he stated himself, and layoffs are undoubtedly a part of it. Seems you're upset because he doesn't plan to operate on a loss

Something weird happened fast. Because it seemed in 24 or 48 hours of Musk's announcement of a buyout things shifted at light speed.

You never know. Maybe it was strictly users unfollowing. When social media whiners say their account lost 5000 people out of maybe 500,000 followers, that's nothing.

I checked Katy Perry's Twitter and she has 108 million followers. So if 200k losers unfollowed her and that was strictly due to users hating and quitting Twitter due to Musk, she lost less than 0.2% of her followers (actually 0.185%). Mark Hamill says he lost 8,000. He has 5 million followers. That's 0.16% of his users..... 1/600.

I can see that. There's a lot of angry weird people on social media. And that 200,000 doesn't even include any possible bot adjustments. Maybe only 100,000 users quit and the other 100,000 were bot (or Twitter employee) adjustment.

He is going to want to know the ins and outs of the platform. I wouldn't put it past us, if people working there, right now, were busy scrubbing and covering their asses.

DoomGyver

44 billion for twitter is nuts. I understand why he’s purchasing it and who am I to say what anyone does with their money but damn. He could have funded the construction of a couple of nuclear power plants with that money. It would have tied in nicely with tesla. I read somewhere that twitter has not been profitable? Maybe he can turn it around but i’d rather see him focus on other things and not get caught up in any more social media drama than he already is.

Wtf do I know. He always seems to be several moves ahead of everyone else.

nush

Gold Member
He is going to want to know the ins and outs of the platform. I wouldn't put it past us, if people working there, right now, were busy scrubbing and covering their asses.

I've read speculation that the mods are unbanning "Problematic" accounts so those accounts can post "Problematic" content and then the mods can point to that as Elons fault. Even though as of now he has no actual control yet of Twitter.

It also would not surprise me if a lot of the new accounts are there to get in on the ground floor ready to own the woke.
R-C.3f5b1aadca36536a4eb8bca85e38d57d

HoodWinked

What are these hate crimes that are "exploding" because of Elon exactly?
apparently she was alluding to Zuckerberg. whom had dinners with Carlson, Trump and Peter Thiel sometime around 2019.

but i'd say considering the timing she could have been more clear she meant Facebook.

nush

Gold Member
apparently she was alluding to Zuckerberg. whom had dinners with Carlson, Trump and Peter Thiel sometime around 2019.

but i'd say considering the timing she could have been more clear she meant Facebook.

That was a bait and switch, she knew what she was posting.

Boss Mog

He has the government so scared the White House is creating a Disinformation Governance Board to combat what they call "disinformation" in the 2022 mid-terms. I thought Harry Potter and the Ministry of Truth was just fiction.
Unfortunately 1984 is being used more effectively as a manual, than a cautionary tale.

It seems there's at least some push-back against it.
57209903-10767941-image-a-1_1651247536642.jpg

Tams

Gold Member
Twitter is an utter cesspool.

The only reason I've gotten back into it is because I like watching Russians getting toasty and that's most readily available on Twitter (fuck Telegram's limits).

That and Ed Balls Day.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Dude may have bought the platform, but can't prevent himself from getting dunked on on it:

vc10WTc.jpg

His ego is humorously massive

Dude may have bought the platform, but can't prevent himself from getting dunked on on it:

vc10WTc.jpg

Lol what?

Looks more like her staff tried very hard to come up with a witty reply, but that description doesn't even fit to Zuckerberg.
She was clearly alluding to Elon.

Edit:

She deleted her tweet and basically admitted that she was talking about Musk.

What a dolt :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Last edited:
This is what she's referring to:

And here's why she deleted the tweet, which was probably for the best - reposting it again so you can re-read and properly understand it:

For sure, she wanted to tweet about some old ass Zuckerberg article from 2019, right after Elon bought her favorite social media platform...
AOC shouldn't talk about ego when she's the one desperately grabbing for attention here.

The only funny thing here are the lame attempts by usual suspects at one upping Elon and desperately trying to sell it as a win.
Ohnoez, AOC posted a gotcha... on the platform that is now owned by guy she is trying to attack, while still being forced to keep using that platform for social media clout :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But anyways, I'm not getting into a tit-for-tat for someone carrying water for a billionaire.

angry u mad GIF by Mayfly

Last edited:

Rykan

Is this guy a retard or what.
This tweet doesn't even begin to describe what a complete fucking narcissistic retard this guy is. He was at Las Vegas during the mass shooting. He's so full of himself that he went through a police car and tried to convince a responding police officer to let him borrow his gun.

Oh and he's also a drug junky. There's that too.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

vc10WTc.jpg

Lol you are an absolute left shilling moron.

She was trying to save face and got ratio'd hard and deleted the tweet as a result. Zuck is on HER side of the ideological censorship fence so it made absolutely no sense.

Thus compounding the reason that she deleted the tweet, likely on advice from her handlers because it's a bad look to throw a powerful ally under the bus to try to deflect in an unrelated argument. Lol.

AOC isn't exactly known for her wit. Blunders and faux pas are right up her ally.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Either she was talking about Musk and she backed off or she was talking about someone else on the day when 99% of people would think she was talking about Musk. So she made a tiny dumb move.

Nothing worth anyone getting their nipples twisted over.

Rykan

Lol you are an absolute left shilling moron.

She was trying to save face and got ratio'd hard and deleted the tweet as a result. Zuck is on HER side of the ideological censorship fence so it made absolutely no sense.

Thus compounding the reason that she deleted the tweet, likely on advice from her handlers because it's a bad look to throw a powerful ally under the bus to try to deflect in an unrelated argument. Lol.

AOC isn't exactly known for her wit. Blunders and faux pas are right up her ally.
Okay couple of things here.

1. The tweet isn't deleted. It's actually right here and she refered to the exchange again here.

2. What she's refering to is the fact that she believes Facebook has major influence using algorithms. She criticizes Facebook repeatedly, so I have no idea why you're trying to spin this as if she or her "handlers" think Zuckerburg is an ally. She's literally been criticizing Facebook and Zuckerburg for years.

Like this and this and also this.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

It's more disappointing that she, as a politician, didn't take advantage of the obvious bait.

There were many ways to turn him down based around her concerns which which would have suited her persona.
He went there and she got flustered.

Beltaine.

ManaByte

Though he didn't last a day from his self termination our good friend Fraudrick Douglas returned to say this a few days ago so perhaps related.

I wouldn't worry about the first part, but the second is a concern. Bezos hate Musk and likely holds a grudge because of the SpaceX contracts. Wouldn’t be shocked if he has AWS pull the plug for any tiny reason. Musk should be calling Rumble.

Hope that's true. Though the source is obviously iffy.

What ever happened to "Twitter is a private company, they can make their own rules. If you don't like it, just make your own platform"...?

There is no indication that it is the case, but Apple and Google actively going against Twitter for reducing its moderation policies to the strict LEGAL minimum, would demonstrate that these power-hungry companies do not act in the interest of the people and abuse their own notion of hate-speech in order to silence political dissent.

If people don't like the existing legal framework around speech regulations, they need to change the surrounding policies through the institutionalized democratic process.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
1A is an important protection from the government that I fully support. However, all of the mainstream internet operates within far stricter boundaries than free speech absolutism. And for good reason, since it would not create an environment friendly to advertisers or appealing to most members of society.

The issues many people had with Twitter's content moderation policies are with regards to enforcing questionable ideologies, e.g. banning people for their pronoun use or for stating obvious biological fact, and partisan election interference, e.g. censoring the NY Post story. Those could easily be addressed by a reasonable policy standard without going 1A absolutist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom