• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about "creepshots"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that real kindness -- that is, what makes a person genuinely nice -- is an act done with no real expectation of compensation in return. Most friendships do not work like this: paying for your friend's gas now may help down the line when he does the same for you. Not cheating on your girlfriend makes it much less likely that she will cheat on you (is it even "cheating" at that point?) Being cruel to your mother and father jeopardizes the possibility for assistance or shelter if you should ever need it, and can also threaten any inheritance if there it exists.

Most friendships and family relationships have implicit social contracts which provide strong incentive to continue to be nice. Being nice to strangers who you never expect to return the favor is far more telling than how you treat those you believe may eventually repay you.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
- Samuel Johnson

Milchjon

I find people's behavior when allowed to act anonymously enormously telling: it reveals how you behave when you can "get away with it."

It is apparent that many people only respect and are considerate of others because they are afraid of being either jailed (if there is illegal activity) or cast out of their social circles (for being a jerk).

I feel that real kindness -- that is, what makes a person genuinely nice -- is an act done with no real expectation of compensation in return. Most friendships do not work like this: paying for your friend's gas now may help down the line when he does the same for you. Not cheating on your girlfriend makes it much less likely that she will cheat on you (is it even "cheating" at that point?) Being cruel to your mother and father jeopardizes the possibility for assistance or shelter if you should ever need it, and can also threaten any inheritance if there it exists.

Most friendships and family relationships have implicit social contracts which provide strong incentive to continue to be nice. Being nice to strangers who you never expect to return the favor is far more telling than how you treat those you believe may eventually repay you.

Yup. I think 4chan would be a great subject for sociopsychological studies.

I've seen this all the time. Everyone has a good laugh at candid photos of the unattractive, overweight, oddly dressed, homeless, or any person who looks different or strange in any way. But attractive girls are the one contradiction and exception to the rule?

So true. Look at People of Walmart, or Jorts.com for example.

Fucking disgusting how hot chicks think they're something special.

Opiate

Reminds me of the quote by C.S. Lewis.

"Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking."

It's important to note, however, that C.S. Lewis was an avowed Christian. Not that being a Christian is a bad thing at all, mind you, just that C.S. Lewis never really thought there was a time when "no one is looking." God is watching you at all times.

As an atheist, it reminds me of some Christians (not all, as there are many intelligent Christian posters on this forum) who don't understand what stops me from being a sex crazed homicidal fiend.

This belief is similarly telling; it suggests that this group of people (who, I will emphasize one more time, does not represent the whole of Christianity) are only prevented from killing everyone they dislike because they are afraid of God's wrath, and not because they're simply nice people who want to be kind to others. It's similar to a school mate who only refrains from beating you up or belittling you because they're afraid of being punished by the school teacher, and not because they're nice and don't want to hurt others for no reason.

Ah, I thought it was you, CD. Shame it's only in Quebec, but maybe it'd still work here in some form or another.

It is not been a popular ruling among photographers (journalists, street photographers). I have mixed feelings about it.

There is a good write-up here: The Unrepentant Flâneur’s Guide to Street Photography Part 9

So true. Look at People of Walmart, or Jorts.com for example.

Fucking disgusting how hot chicks think they're something special.

You don't think there's a difference between the two, or how the subject of one versus the other might feel?

Just because your friend eats dog shit, do you have to follow through the same way? Just because one group takes no action at being published in embarrassing images, does that mean another group should just accept it?

I know a lot of women who don't consider themselves 'hot chicks' that find this 'creep shots' thing objectionable. But even if the did think they were 'hot chicks', then so fucking what?

Was watching STTNG and thought of this thread.
Deanna_Troi_aerobics.jpg

Also TNG had some creepers between Geordi and Barkley.
Holodeck escapades with recreations of real people, including crew members.

Sye d'Burns

It's important to note, however, that C.S. Lewis was an avowed Christian. Not that being a Christian is a bad thing at all, mind you, just that C.S. Lewis never really thought there was a time when "no one is looking." God is watching you at all times.

As an atheist, it reminds me of some Christians (not all, as there are many intelligent Christian posters on this forum) who don't understand what stops me from being a sex crazed homicidal fiend.

This belief is similarly telling; it suggests that this group of people (who, I will emphasize one more time, does not represent the whole of Christianity) are only prevented from killing everyone they dislike because they are afraid of God's wrath, and not because they're simply nice people who want to be kind to others. It's similar to a school mate who only refrains from beating you up or belittling you because they're afraid of being punished by the school teacher, and not because they're nice and don't want to hurt others for no reason.

What you are describing, as they relate to Catholic teaching, are the concepts of perfect contrition and imperfect contrition (aka attrition.)

Perfect contrition could be described as one should be sorry for one's sins and, as such, choose not to sin because one loves God.

Attrition could be summed up as being sorry for one's sins and, thusly, choose not to sin because one fears hell.

In the Act of Contrition, it is prayed, in part: O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven, and the pains of hell (This expresses attrition);
but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all good and deserving of all my love (And this expresses perfect contrition).

While a Catholic should always strive to act as one should according to their one's beliefs out of a true love of God, acting appropriately out of a fear of judgement doesn't make one a good person, per se, but it does dispose the soul to the reception of grace.

OT, I know, and theologically heavy to boot, but it ties in to what you were describing.

CorvoSol

What you are describing, as they relate to Catholic teaching, are the concepts of perfect contrition and imperfect contrition (aka attrition.)

Perfect contrition could be described as one should be sorry for one's sins and, as such, choose not to sin because one loves God.

Attrition could be summed up as being sorry for one's sins and, thusly, choose not to sin because one fears hell.

In the Act of Contrition, it is prayed, in part: O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven,
and the pains of hell (This expresses attrition); but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who are all good and deserving of all my love (And this expresses perfect contrition).

While a Catholic should always strive to act as one should according to their one's beliefs out of a true love of God, acting appropriately out of a fear of judgement doesn't make one a good person, per se, but it does dispose the soul to the reception of grace.

OT, I know, and theologically heavy to boot, but it ties in to what you were describing.

Taking one step further off topic, C.S. Lewis did not convert to Catholicism, which rather bugged his good buddy Tolkien. That said, I have a lovely new challenge for Linkman in the "Awesome" Fanart thread.

UrbanRats

I find people's behavior when allowed to act anonymously enormously telling: it reveals how you behave when you can "get away with it."

It is apparent that many people only respect and are considerate of others because they are afraid of being either jailed (if there is illegal activity) or cast out of their social circles (for being a jerk).

You seem to take it pretty large with the "reward" thing though, at this point you might aswel argue that one is nice just to avoid a sense of guilt.
What i mean is, i don't think helping a friend and (eventually) expecting him/her to help you back is necessarily a conscious cynical decision.

I agree with the general point, although i think there's also an element of intimacy and fantasy that goes a bit beyond the simple "getting away with it".
I'm sure some people just enjoy a fantasy that they keep hidden to avoid (as you say) public shame, but that wouldn't necessarily act on it, given the chance.
I think about BDSM/dominatrix people, for example, that during their roleplay act in something considerable close to torture/rape (at least on a more aesthetic level), but that are very strict about consent and making feel everyone involved comfortable in the fantasy (that is, decent people who practice BDSM, i guess scumbags are everywhere).
And yet they may still decide to hold back or deny their fantasies in public.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Wtf is r/rapingwomen? It can't seriously be what I think it is

r/raping women was an advice/discussion board where you posted tips and complaints on the finer aspects of rape.

"How to tie a quick and easy knot!"
"Don't you hate it when a woman is flailing around and scuffs your hair?"

Tongue firmly in cheek, of course.

Llyranor

You seem to take it pretty large with the "reward" thing though, at this point you might aswel argue that one is nice just to avoid a sense of guilt.
What i mean is, i don't think helping a friend and (eventually) expecting him/her to help you back is necessarily a conscious cynical decision.
I think he's just saying that the way you treat friends/family isn't an accurate assessment of your character, but rather how you treat strangers for whom you wouldn't expect to receive any reciprocity.

So you'll help your buddy move and carry heavy stuff (which you aren't necessarily doing because you want him to help you move later, but you do still want him to like you later on), but lady with a baby stroller going down some stairs ? Screw that! (you have nothing to lose if you don't help her out). I'd say whether you're willing to do both, or just the former ("sure thing, man! then we go have a few beers and play some Halo!!" // pushes baby stroller downs the stairs), is fairly telling.

zlatko

Banned
I'm not one to take pics of a good looking lady I see out in the wild. Luckily, I have a photographic memory so I can take "dat ass" home with me.

Lucario

Not a fan of bumping old threads, but felt this was preferable to starting a new one:

G6lBJ.png

POTATO_IN_MY_ANUS, one of the moderators of creepshots, is a GAFfer.

Stet

Banned
Not a fan of bumping old threads, but felt this was preferable to starting a new one:

Who's David Croach and why is his real name here and what in the world is a shadowban

Lucario

Stet

Banned
Colour me surprised, by the way, that someone with the username POTATO_IN_MY_ANUS isn't just a stand up guy all around.

You guys remember the first time you met Alyx in half life 2? I'm ashamed to say I crouched down in creep shot fashion. I promise I have no potatos in my anus though.

You guys remember the first time you met Alyx in half life 2? I'm ashamed to say I crouched down in creep shot fashion. I promise I have no potatos in my anus though.

It's an interesting thought. As games become more photo real, perhaps they will become an outlet for this type of thing. I'd be ok with it personally. A bit like how killing people in games reduces real world crime.

How does it reduce real world crime?

There are several articles if you google "video games reduce crime".

Theories range from the time consuming nature of games, to the fact that its an indoors activity, to violent content providing an outlet to let off steam. Stastically, violent crime figures have been falling over the last few years, although it could just as likely be a correlation with the rise of videogames rather than a causation.

G6lBJ.png

Not surprised, I've lately seen a lot more reddit users move over to GAF.
I don't mind them, so long as they're not like the creeps in the creepshot sub-reddit.

vitacola

Not surprised, I've lately seen a lot more reddit users move over to GAF.
I don't mind them, so long as they're not like the creeps in the creepshot sub-reddit.
Why would the creeps move here and not to 4chan, where you can be a lot creepier without anybody giving a single shit?

Do threads/posts on Reddit disappear or will they be forever on the page?
I'm asking because I wonder why people (especially the "r/rapewhateveryouwant"-people) that are into that stuff would risk to register at a page and wouldn't use a pretty anonymous site like 4chan or other "free for all" image boards.

You don't think there's a difference between the two, or how the subject of one versus the other might feel?

Just because your friend eats dog shit, do you have to follow through the same way? Just because one group takes no action at being published in embarrassing images, does that mean another group should just accept it?

I know a lot of women who don't consider themselves 'hot chicks' that find this 'creep shots' thing objectionable. But even if the did think they were 'hot chicks', then so fucking what?

I don't really think that's the same. With creepshots the targets are mostly women and therefore most women are against it because it can or has happened to them, but with ones like the people of Walmart the targets aren't aware that they're targets until they see a picture of themselves online. And of the two I think they people of Walmart would be the most pissed. They're getting their picture put online so they can be ridiculed by thousands of people.

CorvoSol

It's an interesting thought. As games become more photo real, perhaps they will become an outlet for this type of thing. I'd be ok with it personally. A bit like how killing people in games reduces real world crime.

If we're going this direction, is there really any other reason for model viewers in fighting games?

G6lBJ.png

:/ Can't say I'm really surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's posted in this thread already or has at least browsed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom