• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about GBA homebrew.

BuddyC

We all know about PSP homebrew and what it can do. But with the recent arrival of a GBA Movie Player, I can now partake in the GBA homebrew scene. Except ...I don't know anything about it. What can I do? What's good? What's not?

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
The thing about the GBA Movie Player's support for actual GBA code is that it must all fit in RAM. Basically just things that are made to work in multiboot mode. So even though you can find a boatload of GBA homebrew games and such, only a fraction of the small ones will work. That being the case, testing to see if they actually work is quite a pain, and there are probably many things that owrk that I don't know about. Looks like I've got a calculator, Yahtzee, Minesweeper, and graphically/aurally weird Tetris game "Tetanus on Drugs" sitting on mine.

As I mentioned in one of the PSP threads, the Game Boy emulator Goomba works well for small-ish ROMs, so the combined Goomba + ROM file is less than 256K.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Not sure what will exactly work on your movie player, but PocketNES is pretty much the best thing on the GBA by far.

Sp3eD said:
Not sure what will exactly work on your movie player, but PocketNES is pretty much the best thing on the GBA by far.
That is pretty true, but GBA Movie Player has support for that by default. At least the version 2 I have. But pocketnes.gba in the root directory of the CF card, choose the FC Game option from the main menu, and pick a small enough NES ROM.

A guy going by the name of Dwedit has made some nice enhancements to PocketNES specifically for GBAMP, allowing for compression of ROMs so now even most 256K games work.

Haibane

Great JPEG viewer
http://www.caimans.net/gba/

Very simple text viewer:
http://members.optushome.com.au/dancotter/ebook.htm
I know there are fancier ones out there, but I like this one for the fonts and the simple controls (L, R and A all scroll forward one page). It saves your location too.

Edit: hmm movie player only works with multiboot compatible roms doesnt it... dont think the above will work then, oh well.

Here's a link to the MP hacked pocketnes version on the pocketnes forum:
http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2147

dock

The Supercard looks awesome! It's tempting to pick one up.

DS emulation and homebrew stuff still seems kinda flaky tbh, or at best confusing with the passme stuff. Has it settled down yet?

Tiktaalik

dock UK said:
DS emulation and homebrew stuff still seems kinda flaky tbh, or at best confusing with the passme stuff. Has it settled down yet?

Wifime is very cool, but yeah it's not quite at the same level of ease as GBA, where you just bought a 3rd party developer cart with linker to put on homebrew apps.

There is a leaked official DS emulator out there apparently and people are using that to get the DS homebrew scene up and running. My friend is working on a game that is looking very cool, but I won't say anymore incase he gets bored and never finishes it.

It looks like alot of the DS homebrew solutions are trying to make use of GBA carts, which is great for all us who have the GBA dev carts.

dock

I think I'll pick up a GBA flash cart at some stage then, they definitely seem pretty mature these days and I like the idea of emulation built in, very handy.

HCgamer

Sp3eD said:

How well does the little GBA run the Mega Man games, Bionic Commando, Castlevania series, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Baseball Stars, Tecmo Bowl, Mike Tyson's Punch Out!, Kirby's Dreamland?

Piepz

Too lazy to type, but I'm in the scene for 2.5 yrs.
What exactly better can you do with movie player than with Flash kit ?

Top Bottom