• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lex Fridman's Podcast

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I like the guests he has on and he's a smart guy but I wish he had a bit more energy. He's a bit dull to listen to. imo

CloudNull

Banned
I like the guests he has on and he's a smart guy but I wish he had a bit more energy. He's a bit dull to listen to. imo
I think this will come with time. He will never be overly energetic but I feel he is finding his niche.

His output is getting much better as he does it more often. The past few episodes have been a huge step up in my opinion.... I have been really digging his opening monologues.

Listening to the Brett episode now and I assumed it would be stuff I have already heard but the technicality of it is fantastic.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jocko's demeanor is kind of weird here. He comes off as annoyed with some of Lex's questions. Maybe it's Lex's interview style.
Definitely. Rare to see Jocko that stiff and guarded in long form conversation. There were a string of questions that Lex asked via “are you worried that…”, really just a turn of phrase and not about literal worry, and Jocko didn’t answer the questions, instead feeling the need to assure Lex that he doesn’t get worried. :lollipop_hushed:

They probably need to roll a few times.

Erdrick

Jocko's demeanor is kind of weird here. He comes off as annoyed with some of Lex's questions. Maybe it's Lex's interview style.

So it wasn't just me that picked up on this. I listen to Jocko regularly and he was not his usual self with Lex. Wasn't bad or anything, just something very noticeable.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I like this bit myself. His first line of defense is to run. There's almost never a reason to fight anyone and you might get arrested/sued etc. Good advice imo.

Wvrs

This episode was very good. I can’t believe the shit this girl had to go through.

I was curious because I'd heard some negative things about her in the past, so looked it up and seemed her stories often contradict one another, with people who've lived in the DPRK and other defectors downplaying some of her claims as embellishment.

I wasn't sure what to think of it. She seems believable but at the same time her tale seems so much more visceral than other defectors I've listened to (I live in the South and so I'm ever-curious).

pel1300

I was curious because I'd heard some negative things about her in the past, so looked it up and seemed her stories often contradict one another, with people who've lived in the DPRK and other defectors downplaying some of her claims as embellishment.

I wasn't sure what to think of it. She seems believable but at the same time her tale seems so much more visceral than other defectors I've listened to (I live in the South and so I'm ever-curious).
There are CCP and NK propagandists paid to discredit her in the media and in comments sections on social media.

People like Michael Malice and Jordan Peterson would have easily been able to detect lies and bullshit from her.

Or maybe she is the best actress/propagandist ever. Who knows.

CloudNull

Banned

Apparently she credits the discrepancies in her stories to not knowing English well when she first started sharing and even admits her memories are not perfect because she was so young.

The human brain is unique in its way of dealing with trauma and the way it copes.... sometime your wires get crossed.... or you change the memories/forget them completely to cope.

Add into the mix what pel1300 pel1300 said and I could see how here stories don't add up. Still best to question everything you hear but the fact she is using her platform to help more defectors makes me trust her to be more than a grifter trying to get likes.

Wvrs

Apparently she credits the discrepancies in her stories to not knowing English well when she first started sharing and even admits her memories are not perfect because she was so young.

The human brain is unique in its way of dealing with trauma and the way it copes.... sometime your wires get crossed.... or you change the memories/forget them completely to cope.

Add into the mix what pel1300 pel1300 said and I could see how here stories don't add up. Still best to question everything you hear but the fact she is using her platform to help more defectors makes me trust her to be more than a grifter trying to get likes.

Those would make sense as explanations, I was just struck by how much more brutal her story was than other defectors', especially given she came from a rich family there.

But it's a given that there are CCP and NK shills out to discredit her, and young memory is unreliable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom