• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG Announces 27″ 1440p 240 hz OLED Monitor $999

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ah ok. Looking forward to your own impressions then !
A friend got his today and was scheduled for tomorrow like mine so now hoping mine shows up.

He said first impression is the matte finish is horrible and literally looks like vaseline smeared across the screen and that part he hates and most likely will be returning and wait for a glossy finish display

Poppyseed

A friend got his today and was scheduled for tomorrow like mine so now hoping mine shows up.

He said first impression is the matte finish is horrible and literally looks like vaseline smeared across the screen and that part he hates and most likely will be returning and wait for a glossy finish display
Not the first time I've heard this. Wonder how that surface compares to my LG 32GQ950-B, which is a phenomenal IPS monitor, but... still IPS.

SAMZ

Hopefully the 27" 4k MLA OLED panels announced by LG at ces should filter down to displays at the end of 2023.

That's when i'll finally dip in a oled monitor

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not the first time I've heard this. Wonder how that surface compares to my LG 32GQ950-B, which is a phenomenal IPS monitor, but... still IPS.
Yeah I have seen people mention it in those LG sponsored videos but think they didn't want to be too hard on them but sounds like its pretty bad especially since my buddy is used to a glossy OLED TV that he console games on

I asked him for an update and he said its super fast and clean looking with his 4090 PC but HATES the screen

twilo99

If someone has the space the C2 is by far the better buy but like myself I would much rather have dual 27" monitors

I'd say that's most people.

Have dual monitors adds a certain amount of functionality that's can't be had with only one large display as well, especially if you actually work on that pc/desk.

Few months ago I bought 27inch 1440p 165/170Hz monitor (M27QP because of hardware unboxed recommendation) and IMO 27'inch and 1440p is perfect combination for games. Improvement in fine details isnt spectacular (so people who say 1080p is enough arnt wrong), however shimmering and aliasing is clearly reduced compared to my previous 1080p monitor, so I dont need nearly as strong AA (now I'm happy with just SMAA or FXAA). I'm however not so sure, if 1440p is good for text editing, and even website surfing, because now I struggle to read certain websites if they use very small fonts (I need to manually zoom with ctrl + mouse wheel). At 4K resolution I would probably need a much bigger monitor and sit very close to it in order to read anything without straining my eyes :p.

So for me 1440p is more than enough, and I can only complain about picture quality (poor blacks) on my M27QP, so I'm happy that we will finally get 27inch OLED monitors designed for gamers.

This 27'inch asus will even have heatsink, so with combination with MLA panel even image retention should be no longer a problem, and especially if they will use no more than 150nits for full white window. I only wish Asus would make glossy coating option, because I really miss it since I bought my M27QP. Matte coating makes blacks look gray even in well lit room, and I can still see reflections anyway (just less defined), so what's the point of using this ugly matte coating, when it only makes picture look worse.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I'd say that's most people.

Have dual monitors adds a certain amount of functionality that's can't be had with only one large display as well, especially if you actually work on that pc/desk.
yea i have two monitor, one for PC one for PS5, side by side. Its great for multitasking

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Few months ago I bought 27inch 1440p 165/170Hz monitor (M27QP because of hardware unboxed recommendation) and IMO 27'inch and 1440p is perfect combination for games. Improvement in fine details isnt spectacular, however shimmering and aliasing is clearly reduced compared to my previous 1080p monitor, so I dont need nearly as strong AA (now I'm happy with just SMAA or FXAA). I'm however not so sure, if 1440p is good for text editing, and even website surfing, because now I struggle to read certain websites if they use very small fonts (I need to manually zoom with ctrl + mouse wheel). At 4K resolution I would probably need a much bigger monitor and sit very close to it in order to read anything without straining my eyes :p, so I really think 1440p is already good enough for me.

I can only complain about picture quality (poor blacks) on my M27QP, so I'm happy that we will finally get 27inch OLED monitors designed for gamers.

This 27'inch asus will even have heatsink, so with combination with MLA panel even image retention should be no longer a problem, and especially if they will use no more than 150nits for full white window. I only wish Asus would make glossy coating option, because I really miss it since I bought my M27QP. Matte coating makes blacks look gray even in well lit room, and I can still see reflections anyway (just less defined), so what's the point of using this ugly matte coating, when it only makes picture look worse.

this guy is such a fing tool

sooo ... 4k OLED 120hz ... HDR 32 inch
or
ultrawide 4k wide 120hz HDR oled 35 inch

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The OLED is in the house and after using it for a few hours I can say I am returning it once my 60 days "test drive" is up as the matte coating is just bad

Not much else I can say as I do not have equipment to measure anything about it will wait and see what Rtings has to say about it as they are going to review it shortly.

I can say 1440p at 27" is a great rez at that size and even though I am still using a 3090 getting 240 hz out of some of my games is super nice though none are very demanding.

I will put the edge lit LG 27GP950 back on my desk once I return this but in all honesty I prefer the Samsung 32" Neo Odyssey G7 to game on

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So gaming on this thing at night truly is special as being an OLED its just not bright enough for me through the day

I can confirm even my old remote from my C9 will turn this monitor off and on but thats it so something to keep in mind

Speaking of remotes this monitors remote has a tiny jewelers screw holding the battery latch closed which I think is a stupid idea

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Last bump I already returned this monitor as for me the screen isnt near bright enough for me and having that coating is horrible

Having gotten used to the 32" Neo G7 with mini LED I just can't use this OLED.

In a very dark room the display is gorgeous but this first round of OLED 27" just aint it for me

Great run down by this guy

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Maybe if it was an ultrawide
The 45" version of this is getting much better reviews but I passed on that as I prefer a dual monitor setup and wanted to try that 27"

Hopefully some of the other companies will release theirs with better brightness like the Asus model coming has a heatsink and an MLA panel

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Guess I am going to spend more time with this thing as I forgot I preordered it through Best Buy and got the email today it was shipping by Wednesday the 1st.

Guess I am going to spend more time with this thing as I forgot I preordered it through Best Buy and got the email today it was shipping by Wednesday the 1st.

I personally love it, but I can see why some people won't, or why they'd prefer a glossy version. Brightness is definitely annoying below say, 80, but anything above that I don't have any problem with it. The motion clarity is insane.

For me it's purely for games so I don't have to worry about burn-in or productivity or anything else.

I’m not a PC gamer, but why are gaming computer monitors normally so expensive especially when compared to TV’s with similar features? Most of them aren’t even 4K as well. Yeah, most people to my knowledge don’t game in native 4K, but it’s nice to have to option for the future I think. I know they generally have really high refresh rates as well, but imo it’s still perplexing.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I personally love it, but I can see why some people won't, or why they'd prefer a glossy version. Brightness is definitely annoying below say, 80, but anything above that I don't have any problem with it. The motion clarity is insane.

For me it's purely for games so I don't have to worry about burn-in or productivity or anything else.
Going to sound silly but since its from Best Buy I may very well keep it since Best Buy is another company I work with that part of my compensation is Best Buy store credit

And you are right the motion clarity is personally the best I have seen

Thirty7ven

Banned
I’m not a PC gamer, but why are gaming computer monitors normally so expensive especially when compared to TV’s with similar features? Most of them aren’t even 4K as well. Yeah, most people to my knowledge don’t game in native 4K, but it’s nice to have to option for the future I think. I know they generally have really high refresh rates as well, but imo it’s still perplexing.

Those monitors you speak of are made in very small quantities, and manufacturers can’t get your data nor advertise content.

Sure higher refresh rates, pixel density, lower input lag will contribute to the price but by far it’s a matter of economies of scale and data/ad value.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I wish more of these manufacturers made a competing OLED ultrawide to the Alienware QD-OLED.

Was there a critical mass of gamers clamoring for 27 inch 240hz displays?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I wish more of these manufacturers made a competing OLED ultrawide to the Alienware QD-OLED.

Was there a critical mass of gamers clamoring for 27 inch 240hz displays?
LG is bringing a 45" 240hz OLED for $1700 and Samsung has a 34" 175hz for $1500 but out of those I would rather have the Alienware for $999

I have seen way more people asking for a 32" 4k 240hz OLED over this 27"

Maybe they are coming but none announced so far

Rbk_3

So gaming on this thing at night truly is special as being an OLED its just not bright enough for me through the day

I can confirm even my old remote from my C9 will turn this monitor off and on but thats it so something to keep in mind

Speaking of remotes this monitors remote has a tiny jewelers screw holding the battery latch closed which I think is a stupid idea

I have mine preordered. I play in the basement so it is always dark. Should be ok with my use case you think?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have mine preordered. I play in the basement so it is always dark. Should be ok with my use case you think?
In a light controlled room this monitor kicks ass though in all honesty I would still love to see it be a little brighter

I am playing with 3 monitors right now trying to decide which one will stay on my main desk/gaming area this one, the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32" mini LED 4k 165hz and the Samsung G8 34" Ultrawide OLED and in all honesty for all platforms still leaning towards the G7 mini LED

Technical reviews are great and all but I enjoy watching unbiased reviews by gamers like this one

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Currently testing the 45" OLED from LG and she sure is a beast with PC games especially.

When playing on PS5 and Series X it plays those games in a letter box format but even thats still about the size of a 32" screen

Biggest downside is the price obviously but also at 45" being 1440p text is slightly fuzzy

Works great with the 1440p VRR on the consoles

l7iPhMf.jpg

Top Bottom