• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG Announces 27″ 1440p 240 hz OLED Monitor $999

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

LG have just released information on their official website for their new 27GR95QE-B monitor, a very exciting screen indeed, with a 27″ 1440p OLED technology panel and a whopping 240Hz refresh rate! This is the first time we’ve seen this combination of resolution and refresh rate in the OLED panel market, and the first time we’ve seen an OLED gaming screen of this size and aspect ratio released as well. It’s bound to be an attractive option to may people. Read on for loads more information on the screen, as well as some details on how fast and clear a 240Hz OLED panel really is!

LG 27GR95QE-B Specs​

The 27GR95QE-B is a 26.5″ sized screen (27″ class) with a 2560 x 1440 resolution. There’s a 0.03ms G2G response time spec listed, a 1.5 million:1 contrast ratio and 178/178 viewing angles. SDR and HDR brightness specs are not yet available and are marked as “TBC”. There’s a wide colour gamut as well with 98.5% DCI-P3 coverage quoted, along with a 1.07b colour depth.

The high 240Hz native refresh rate is supported by adaptive-sync for variable refresh rates from both AMD and NVIDIA systems. LG list NVIDIA ‘G-sync Compatible’ and AMD ‘FreeSync Premium’ certifications as well. A range of gaming extras are also offered including black stabilizer, crosshair, FPS counter and ‘dynamic action sync’. Some “Hexagon lighting” RGB is included on the back of the screen too.

HDR is of course supported via the HDR10 format, with the OLED panel technology being ideally suited for this use thanks to its pixel level dimming, basically infinite contrast ratio and true blacks. Peak brightness is still to be confirmed, along with any relevant HDR certification levels.

The stand includes tilt, height, swivel and rotate adjustments.

Connections and Hardware Calibration Support​

For connections there are 1x DisplayPort and 2x HDMI listed along with a combined headphone/mic connection, SPDIF output and 2 USB data ports. There’s no speakers on this model by the way. LG don’t state what version of the DP and HDMI connections are included but DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC will be needed to handle the 1440p at 240Hz 10-bit properly. HDMI could be v2.1 but we expect HDMI 2.0 is more likely to be honest, with enough bandwidth for 1440p @ 120Hz to support modern consoles sufficiently. We will update once we have confirmation on HDMI version here. A remote control is provided with the screen too apparently.

Not just for gaming, the 27GR95QE-B also includes hardware calibration support via LG’s True Color Pro feature. It also comes factory calibrated out of the box.

Just how fast and clear is 240Hz OLED?​

Most OLED panels available at the moment max out at around 120Hz, including popular crossover TV options like the 42″ LG 42C2 and 48″ LG 48C2 displays. Other competing 42″ OLED displays released over the last few months have pushed this native 120Hz refresh rate to 138Hz with a small overclock, including the Asus ROG Swift PG42UQ and KTC G42P5 for instance. These are all featuring OLED panels with a WRGB (White + RGB) sub-pixel structure from LG.Display, the same technology commonly used across the OLED TV market.

Earlier this year in late Q1 we saw Samsung release their competing QD-OLED (Quantum Dot OLED) panel technology in to the monitor market, and this appeared in the desktop monitor space in the excellent Dell Alienware AW3423DW, a 34″ ultrawide screen which boasted a 175Hz refresh rate. Competing models from Samsung, MSI and an alternative from Dell have all been announced as well, but this 175Hz refresh rate represents the maximum available at the moment in the OLED space.

In September we had chance to have some hands on time with a new 45″ ultrawide WRGB OLED panel from LG.Display which was being showcased in the new Corsair Xeneon Flex 45WQHD240 bendable monitor that was in development, but not yet available to buy. This had a 240Hz native refresh rate, and shortly after this screen was announced, LG also announced their own equivalent screen with the same panel, minus the bendable feature. The Corsair screen gave us the first chance to see first hand how fast a 240Hz can be in real use and how good the motion clarity can be! You can check out our experience and impressions of the screen in the above linked video.

Click for larger version
You can see some pursuit camera photos above capturing real world perceived motion clarity of this 240Hz OLED panel compared with the 138Hz Asus PG42UQ, the 120Hz LG 42C2 and even the fastest refresh rate monitor we’ve had chance to test – the Asus ROG Swift PG259QN with a 360Hz refresh rate IPS panel.

The motion clarity of the 240Hz OLED panel easily surpasses the lower refresh rate OLED panels, unsurprisingly. And in practice it also looked better and clearer than the 360Hz IPS panel! Because of the super-fast near-instance response times of OLED technology, the motion clarity of an OLED is generally equivalent to an LCD with a 1.5 – 1.7x higher refresh rate. And that’s on the assumption that the LCD is a “good” one, with low overshoot and reliably fast response times that can keep up with the frame rate of the screen. So a 240Hz OLED should offer the same kind of motion clarity as a good 360Hz – 408Hz LCD screen. In the example above, the 360Hz IPS panel shows some overshoot errors and so doesn’t look as good as the 240Hz OLED.

This is based on the 45″ ultrawide OLED panel from LG.Display used in the Corsair Xeneon Flex monitor, but there’s no reason to think that the 27″ OLED panel being used in the new LG 27GR95QE-B is any different. So we would expect excellent motion clarity from this future screen for sure, on par or better than anything you can currently find in the LCD space which tops out at 360Hz at the moment. Hopefully that gives you an idea of what to expect.

Screen Coating​

You may spot that LG list the screen as having an anti-glare coating. This will no doubt trigger the usual “glossy vs matte” debates for OLED panels, but as we’ve said before on several occasions – for a desktop monitor, designed to be used in a wide range of lighting conditions, we think the majority of people will prefer the matte coating over glossy. If you want a lot more context and discussion about this debate then check out the discussion at the end of this section of our Asus PG42UQ review (and throughout) or also the time-stamped section in our 42″ OLED shoot-out video comparing the Asus PG42UQ and LG 42C2 embedded below:

Pricing and Availability​

The LG 27GR95QE-B is listed on their US website at a price of $999.99 which is of course expensive, but actually relative to many other high end flagship screens is not too bad. It could easily have been pushing $2000. Availability is not yet known, and pricing and launch in other regions like Europe and the UK is still to be confirmed. More info when we get it.

Source https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-announce-27gr95qe-b-27-oled-monitor-with-240hz-refresh-rate

Last edited:

Kadve

Great but where is my OLED 24/25" monitor? Still nothing on the market.

And no, i don't want anything bigger. Only got one eye and limited desk space.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So a 4K/120hz version should be in the same price ballpark, that's nice to know.

Next year I'll probably go for a mini-LED tho'. Unless there's some new feature for OLEDs that can make them suitable for extensive work (static picture for +8 hours daily).

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's a lot just for gaming. I'd have to come up with some other some other hobby that used it.

Killer8

I'd normally be excited for this but i've come to the conclusion that OLED is just unsuitable for PC. My IPS screen already gets burn-in when I work with static windows on screen, i'd hate to see what would happen to OLED.

1440p.... no thanks, we're beyond that now.
thor-are.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'd normally be excited for this but i've come to the conclusion that OLED is just unsuitable for PC. My IPS screen already gets burn-in when I work with static windows on screen, i'd hate to see what would happen to OLED.
Yeah its not meant for a PC to be on all the time

Yea the sweet spot. 4K is overrated as fuck. 2K @ 60/120fps > 4K @ 30fps. Not everyone's got a 4090.

This could finally be THE monitor.
27" is the perfect size for my desk as I have 2 27" sitting there and will take that any day over a single 42" display

This monitor does have my interest as for me personally its looking like a killer display as 1440p on ultra looks damn nice at 27" and throw in 240 fps even if someone does have a great PC

MikeM

Cool and all. I’ll keep my LG C1 with the PC tied to it. 120hz for gaming is plenty for me.

Nice to see better monitor options come out tho. A majority of them suck.

HTK

Banned
I’m excited to see OLEDs at that size and with higher refresh rates. My next upgrade has got to be:

OLED at 32”/42”, 144hz, at 4K.

currently I have 2x 1440p 27inch IPS at 180hz but I have my PC hooked up to my 55” OLED playing at 1440p everything on high settings at 120hz (Warzone 2 and MW2)

old-parts

Some of the most popular monitors are 27" 1440p 240hz, that why LG went with it, this is a PC centric product, not really for console users.

Not everyone is comfortable with large TV's for desktop usage and they have a number of annoyances for PC users, due to lacking displayport and the standards it adheres to used by windows and linux.

The price is a little high but compared to other 27" its not that high, take the Dell Alienware AW2721D another 27 1440p 240hz Vesa HDR600 sells for 750 dollars and this OLED should hopefully outperform it by a large margin.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

It's like they can manufacture whatever size below 55" we want but there is a catch - it always has to cost around $1000.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I do it on a 48" c2 and it's fine.
I tried the 48" for awhile on my desk replacing my dual 27" set up and games like Anno 1800 or They are Billions was amazing on this screen

I struggled to enjoy it on shooters like Hell Let Loose, I way prefer smaller screens for that

Imtjnotu

I tried the 48" for awhile on my desk replacing my dual 27" set up and games like Anno 1800 or They are Billions was amazing on this screen

I struggled to enjoy it on shooters like Hell Let Loose, I way prefer smaller screens for that
I respect it. When I play fps games I just scoot back a little. God of War on it tho was a whole different story cause of the minimal hud

GHG

Gold Member
This whole debate on display/monitor size depends on what types of games you typically play, how deep your desk is and your seating arrangement (distance from your eyes to the screen).

Far too many sweeping and judgemental statements in this thread. For some people 1440p 27" is the limit whereas for others that is far too little real estate. That said, the price for this monitor is very steep considering what you get but I can't imagine the target market for a product like this is very large so the price is appropriate.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member

I dropped back to dual 27" from 32". I can't imagine PC gaming on anything bigger. I am considering a 42" but only to bring some console gaming to my desk area. I would still keep the two 27" for PC.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Tbf those people can't afford this. So if yiu are coughing 1k at least go 4k

Yup... the people in those hardware surveys are on midrange hardware and care about cost to performance. This ISN'T that. Who is this for? At that price you're close to the 175hz 34" Alienware Quantum Dot OLED. The OLED Monitor market needs 1 more year of cooking till its in near perfect range of what we all want.

Buggy Loop

Yup... the people in those hardware surveys are on midrange hardware and care about cost to performance. This ISN'T that. Who is this for? At that price you're close to the 175hz 34" Alienware Quantum Dot OLED. The OLED Monitor market needs 1 more year of cooking till its in near perfect range of what we all want.

I had the ips Alienware ultrawide 1440p and it’s already really good. I’m salivating at the 2nd or 3rd gen oled ultrawide versions after the already good first entry.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
For fuck sakes dude how fucking hard is it???

Release a 32 inch 120hz oled monitor

rofif

Banned
Maybe some people dont want to sit with 60cm distance to a 42 inch?
why not?
It's so immersive and impressive.
And no.... it's not really worse for your eyes than planting your face in 24/27" screen even closer lol.

shame about matte coating. This is so shit... especially with oled. Glossy looks better, handles reflections better as matte turns small refection into a big, still visible blob... and adds grain

Last edited:

baphomet

why not?
It's so immersive and impressive.
And no.... it's not really worse for your eyes than planting your face in 24/27" screen even closer lol.

shame about matte coating. This is so shit... especially with oled. Glossy looks better, handles reflections better as matte turns small refection into a big, still visible blob... and adds grain

That's a terrible way to play games.

DaGwaphics

I've stuck to a 24" for so long because my eyes tier easily the brighter the screen is. Eventually I'll probably have to move to 27", but 32 or larger on a desk would just be overwhelming to me. The bigger the screen gets the brighter that light bulb becomes at close range. I have to be 5 or 6 feet away from bigger screens at minimum. So, to answer the question, I'd just say personal preference for how you enjoy playing and the specific desktop setup you like.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've stuck to a 24" for so long because my eyes tier easily the brighter the screen is. Eventually I'll probably have to move to 27", but 32 or larger on a desk would just be overwhelming to me. The bigger the screen gets the brighter that light bulb becomes at close range. I have to be 5 or 6 feet away from bigger screens at minimum. So, to answer the question, I'd just say personal preference for how you enjoy playing and the specific desktop setup you like.
Its almost like different people enjoy different experiences

Confused James Franco GIF

Top Bottom