• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG C1 OLED--Question

FMX

This appears to be the only television that has every single next gen 2.1 feature (VRR, ALLM, Dolby Vision, HDR 10/10+). For those of you who may have this particular set...are you enjoying your purchase ..any issues? I am usually strictly SONY with my televisions but they can't seem to get their act together with implementing all the 2.1 features. I can't spend 2K on a damn promise!!

Swift_Star

Banned
I haven't heard that one before.
It's what is keeping me from buying an OLED TV. If 30fps games and movies look significantly worse in motion than LCD, it's a bummer. I won't ever turn smoothing on because it ruins everything.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
This appears to be the only television that has every single next gen 2.1 feature (VRR, ALLM, Dolby Vision, HDR 10/10+). For those of you who may have this particular set...are you enjoying your purchase ..any issues? I am usually strictly SONY with my televisions but they can't seem to get their act together with implementing all the 2.1 features. I can't spend 2K on a damn promise!!
Just to let you know this doesn’t have HDR10+

Last edited:

xion4360

as stated, LG C1 does not support HDR10+

its also not the only TV..you also have the G1 CX and GX

Last edited:

TheMan

I have the c1 65 inch. It's very good. I haven't fucked with a lot of the features of the TV and i haven't checked calibration (although my wife tells me that the guy we payed to mount it may have calibrated too.)

I'm going to be honest. While shopping, most of these high end TVs look pretty close to each other and unless you are looking at them side by side simultaneously, chances are good you wont' really notice the difference between one TV and another of equivalent price. And if you notice differences, they may come down to calibration rather than actual tech differences. Many features, like HDR, may change the picture in ways that are suprisingly subtle given all the hype, but IMO don't necessarily make it better. The difference comes down to taste and a lot of those things kind of fade away from your mind when you've had the TV for a couple of months. Content is king, so if you're watching Billions does it matter if your TV has all the latest doodads? not really.

That said it's a good tv. I don't regret it. Major caveat is that default sound SUCKS on these things so you must factor in the cost of a soundbar at least.

Last edited:

xion4360

Major caveat is that default sound SUCKS on these things so you must factor in the cost of a soundbar at least.

do you have Ai sound on? I have a CX so its not the same but I was surprised by how good the sound from the TV is, a surprising amount of bass. but you must turn off Ai sound.

Fbh

I just ordered one of these, should be arriving in like 2 weeks. Was looking for something cheaper but it was on a really good flash sales and I just went for it.

From my research it's supposedly very good, you get the awesome contrast and true blacks from OLED and all the gaming features you'd want. On of the common drawbacks that get mentioned is that it's not very bright, so it might not be the best option to use during the day in a bright room.

And the big one with OLED is the risk of burn in.
I decided to risk it because most sources say it shouldn't be too much of an issue if you use it normally and with varied content, and I watch and play pretty varied stuff and don't really have the time to go on 4+ hours gaming sessions these days. I've also been using a phone with an OLED screen daily for like 4 years with the same background and the same static UI elements and no burn in so far.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
TELEVISION ?! Who would use such a thing for a ps5 display? yuck...
(seriously, if you have the money and play with shades or mostly in the evening ?! Get it !!!
Amazing quality of picture, motion and it gets scorching bright when you play at night and exit a cave in uncharted 4 with hdr... this is the best purchase I might have ever done lol and I was skeptical because of the size. But few days after purchase, 48" is perfectly fine

TQR2BLb.jpeg

qvdG8FG.jpg

GsG64P3.jpg

Look at the contrast at night ! If I disable pc rgb, I cannot see the black areas at all !
7k1rLEa.jpg

AJUMP23

I have the CX and have watched a lot of movies on them. They look good.

HDTV test is a great resource for oled v led info.

ethomaz

Banned
I have the CX.

No issue at all.
And it is the living room TV where everybody uses it… even my children… that left it without turn off all the time with static images.

Last edited:
It's what is keeping me from buying an OLED TV. If 30fps games and movies look significantly worse in motion than LCD, it's a bummer. I won't ever turn smoothing on because it ruins everything.
30fps *can* look significantly worse on oled, yeah. However, if a 30fps game has motion blur it is not an issue compared with lcd. Most modern 30fps games have motion blur. With regards to motion smoothing, on lg c1 it is pretty much artifact free even in animation. It's the best in the business and should definitely be switched on. You can't use it in games though.

Second place goes to Sony motion smoothing, specifically the x1 and x1 extreme chip tvs circa 2016 -2018.

On the flipside, 60fps always looks better on oled, and I disable motion blur at 60fps when I am allowed to. Also, every c1 owner should be using bfi (called oled motion pro) as it is one of the best implementations i've seen and smooths out motion.

The only thing anybody has to worry about the c1 is getting a bad panel as LG quality control is shit.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
30fps *can* look significantly worse on oled, yeah. However, if a 30fps game has motion blur it is not an issue compared with lcd. Most modern 30fps games have motion blur. With regards to motion smoothing, on lg c1 it is pretty much artifact free even in animation. It's the best in the business and should definitely be switched on. You can't use it in games though.

Second place goes to Sony motion smoothing, specifically the x1 and x1 extreme chip tvs circa 2016 -2018.

On the flipside, 60fps always looks better on oled, and I disable motion blur at 60fps when I am allowed to. Also, every c1 owner should be using bfi (called oled motion pro) as it is one of the best implementations i've seen and smooths out motion.

The only thing anybody has to worry about the c1 is getting a bad panel as LG quality control is shit.
I play some PS3 games and will occasionally play old final fantasy games that are remastered for PS4... Does that also look significantly worse? And I really don't like 24/30fps content smoothed... I like them at og framerates, if movies and tv shows look ok then I'm fine.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I own it. No real complaints. Best set I've ever had. Nothing wrong with 30fps games on oled. Remember they have near-instantaneous response times so you won't notice much black smearing or ghosting at all.
That’s actually the problem though. Lack of ghosting/smearing and instantaneous response times make content that lacks motion blur (I.e. games) look more choppy.

Swift_Star

Banned
That’s actually the problem though. Lack of ghosting/smearing and instantaneous response times make content that lacks motion blur (I.e. games) look more choppy.
But what does it look like vs a smartphone? Because I watch 30fps game videos on the OLED phone and it looks ok to me. Is it the same?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just got mine last week. 77 inch set is an absolute looker, this is the best TV I've ever owned, easily.

Haven't noticed any issues with 30fps content. My only complaint is that it's not as bright as my old LED set. But darkout curtains are a thing.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
But what does it look like vs a smartphone? Because I watch 30fps game videos on the OLED phone and it looks ok to me. Is it the same?
Can’t compare it to a phone as I haven’t used an OLED phone. It is noticeably choppy but you adjust to it pretty quickly. Also blank frame insertion makes a huge difference.

TheKratos

I love it. Looks fantastic and the gaming features are great. I have a PC and PS5, will but the SX later so I need 3 HDMI 2.1 inputs. I have the A80J as well, no doubt the picture quality is better but I use that for movies alone. C1 is the king of gaming to me.

For the person asking about 30FPS, I have played 30FPS games and they look great too.

I play some PS3 games and will occasionally play old final fantasy games that are remastered for PS4... Does that also look significantly worse? And I really don't like 24/30fps content smoothed... I like them at og framerates, if movies and tv shows look ok then I'm fine.
Depends on the game. Even if it is worse, you can adjust your eyes fairly quickly and in time it won't bother you. Black frame insertion is a must. Don't get too hung up on oled vs lcd motion in low fps. C1 Oled is always going to look better than a cheap lcd or badly implemented motion.

Try the smoothing if you get it.

Fbh

I think I'll give it a try sooner rather than later.

Keep in mind that the low framerate stutter is related to response time, so while OLED is specially affected by it (due to their very fast response time) you'll still get some degree of low framerate stutter on basically all these newer 120hz, HDMI 2.1, VRR TV's

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Highjacking the thread since I'm looking into buying this too. Does 30fps really looks bad in OLED TVs (any different from LCD screens?)? Because in my phone it looks fine and it's an OLED screen.
30 fps gaming doesn't really look better or worse than an LCD. Yes, there is a stutter, but you stop noticing it after a while.

However, for movies you absolutely need to enable some interpolation for it to look right. The Clear or Cinematic setting will smooth it out in a way that doesn't look like the soap opera effect.

Celcius

°Temp. member
OP, if you buy this TV then please let me know how non-60 fps content looks on it. I too have an OLED phone and anime looks great on it but I worry that it will have bad stutter on OLED TVs along with 30 fps games.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

OP, if you buy this TV then please let me know how non-60 fps content looks on it. I too have an OLED phone and anime looks great on it but I worry that it will have bad stutter on OLED TVs along with 30 fps games.
I have the LG CX, and non 60 fps content looks amazing on it. The C1 is just a small upgrade of the CX, so you are safe getting it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
See my post above for your answer.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I have the older LG C9... so no Dolby Vision at 120hz... but 60hz works and every other 2.1 feature works.

I would buy an LG Oled again in a heartbeat.

recursive

I have the c1 65 inch. It's very good. I haven't fucked with a lot of the features of the TV and i haven't checked calibration (although my wife tells me that the guy we payed to mount it may have calibrated too.)

I'm going to be honest. While shopping, most of these high end TVs look pretty close to each other and unless you are looking at them side by side simultaneously, chances are good you wont' really notice the difference between one TV and another of equivalent price. And if you notice differences, they may come down to calibration rather than actual tech differences. Many features, like HDR, may change the picture in ways that are suprisingly subtle given all the hype, but IMO don't necessarily make it better. The difference comes down to taste and a lot of those things kind of fade away from your mind when you've had the TV for a couple of months. Content is king, so if you're watching Billions does it matter if your TV has all the latest doodads? not really.

That said it's a good tv. I don't regret it. Major caveat is that default sound SUCKS on these things so you must factor in the cost of a soundbar at least.
Interesting. My CX has some of the best TV sound I have heard. The fact you mounted it on the wall probably has something to do with it since it presumably has nothing to reflect off of when down firing from the TV. On the stand it sounds great for TV sound.

kyliethicc

Sony A80J is also an excellent OLED TV, especially for PS5 users.

But yeah the LG CX & C1 are the top gaming OLEDs.

Each has a few pros / cons.

Reactions: Rea

REDRZA MWS

Not a single truth to that, at all. I own a C8, and a 77” GX. Absolutely love both for all content, especially gaming.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Because near instantaneous response lower fps video can look choppy but if it bothers you can enable the clear motion setting (cinema clear or whatever it's called) which has minimal artifacting. And it's better on c1 than cx according to HDTV Test (Vincent Teoh). That said 24 or 30 fps content don't look that good on LCD either. It just has large amount of blur instead of more obvious panning judder. If you don't care as much about game functionality Sony TV apparently have better motion interpolation for video content.

The other option, including with games is to jack up oled brightness and enable black frame insertion which is pretty good (allm/gsync needs to be disabled to work on games). The other difference between cx and c1 is that you can enable black frame insertion on the internal apps whereas for whatever reason it's not possible on cx (this annoyed me because I like to enable bfi on youtube, had to use youtube from "Chromecast with Google TV" dongle to get that).

Demigod Mac

CX owner here - no regrets. Can't imagine ever going back to an LCD TV.
It's like they took every little annoyance that plagued displays for decades and fixed all of them at once.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Because near instantaneous response lower fps video can look choppy but if it bothers you can enable the clear motion setting (cinema clear or whatever it's called) which has minimal artifacting. And it's better on c1 than cx according to HDTV Test (Vincent Teoh). That said 24 or 30 fps content don't look that good on LCD either. It just has large amount of blur instead of more obvious panning judder. If you don't care as much about game functionality Sony TV apparently have better motion interpolation for video content.

The other option, including with games is to jack up oled brightness and enable black frame insertion which is pretty good (allm/gsync needs to be disabled to work on games). The other difference between cx and c1 is that you can enable black frame insertion on the internal apps whereas for whatever reason it's not possible on cx (this annoyed me because I like to enable bfi on youtube, had to use youtube from "Chromecast with Google TV" dongle to get that).
I don't like motion interpolation on video content, I like to watch them as they were shot...

fersnake

been having a blast, best purchase ever besides ps5 xD but yeah no complains so far.

ps. bought that cheap govee inmersion and its another level having those light reacting while you watch movies or play games.

mheqMxGthRMFEyXKsj_6SC4DGLDGve0Q-F1unEX_qMejjpSosQd50al3Hib01PX1QDuAJ7n8gjqWHgq6K4uxsxSY5Hm4BVw2zuDfctIis_0DtCb5QX43d_gbukVoJpb9aXsE-oC-DoDj3pum2UhReL9BXZmYVhtO3WLzuO-utF5i9DH3zuJz0S6TY9pduaPUOmOSVo3mXG7QS5A1dQ2c_27N1BlQ2Klr_26q1_N_x8j3F6-GUV3Obj6U9VpiRoDAbKVJjjJRmCap3iMDd7C1e42NcZY-PXCfyFrlfSWhV8o6xgs8MFzm-fklS79_xvvPDtEIImgxny5lTS7o4EONvT_61V-YFiRyTe-3sVqH30wSsMnQEZr6B4h5acQp0Oi6IBWoJdOXCDhc57KSVavVbjIvvHuY2ZBFCH4R2WQhAHTXFZ8ZZVKiDWAn2EZZgf3gMrxS-pF3bkgIWDRDxflMi3vSVq-FncyhRTyvFeB4qoFk1E62PdE9KmTKYmYroAevqTMoyFJWyk2daN3C-1cCTU_FChDGkb528M3s8DQJG2YhJ3HhgGx7wZCgq9p3eMykN0WfdZj3q3cMWVZpoOeZ3BYufYk2cntAALxeodqvyMIeOHHd_8gqSoHp_n5vKqTFG_MRLaWxvNufEyfEC1cekirPFmk_WP9ZJOG4dCygMG7zOmQKdbXHHAtAI2OPdeQEjh940o2ASlAwgV7VZGbVDU0=w1583-h891-no

Shai-Tan

Banned
I don't like motion interpolation on video content, I like to watch them as they were shot...
there is no "as they were shot" if you're watching something on a screen. there's always a display medium inbetween which can have positive and negative aspects to it. anyhow, the cinema clear or whatever setting isn't soap opera effect, it mostly just reduce panning judder

i have a tv the with all those features (LG CX) and honestly all you need is HDR. VRR would be amazing but support seems to be hit or miss and anyway consoles play at low frame rates so it doesn't make much sense. VRR window is like 40-48fps so any 30fps game it is useless. if you have a 60fps game and it goes below 40fps it won't do anything. if the game bounces between 50-60fps it'll work great but how many games run at that AND support VRR? it's not worth it. if you get a TV that supports it great but don't go chasing it.

the other HDMI 2.1 features are not worth it. the only good things about 2.1 are 4K 120Hz support and VRR but that's more for PC gamers to be excited about than console.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
i have a tv the with all those features (LG CX) and honestly all you need is HDR. VRR would be amazing but support seems to be hit or miss and anyway consoles play at low frame rates so it doesn't make much sense. VRR window is like 40-48fps so any 30fps game it is useless. if you have a 60fps game and it goes below 40fps it won't do anything. if the game bounces between 50-60fps it'll work great but how many games run at that AND support VRR? it's not worth it. if you get a TV that supports it great but don't go chasing it.

the other HDMI 2.1 features are not worth it. the only good things about 2.1 are 4K 120Hz support and VRR but that's more for PC gamers to be excited about than console.
VRR is a game changer for console games that don’t maintain frame rate idk what you are talking about

mhirano

I'm pretty sure LG C1 series VRR range is 20-120hz
sJUuKA7.png

Kagey K

Banned

VRR has been implemented at as low as 20 fps on the C series and all games support it at a system level on Xbox and presumably should on PS5 whenever they decide to implement it.

You also missed ALLM as a system feature that necessary for gaming on most modern tvs also.

Top Bottom