• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG C1 OLED--Question

ParaSeoul

I'd just get a QLED with good local dimming or wait for mini LED. Besides the burn in,if you're in a room with a lot of light or want to use HDR seriously OLEDs just dont get bright enough.

This appears to be the only television that has every single next gen 2.1 feature (VRR, ALLM, Dolby Vision, HDR 10/10+). For those of you who may have this particular set...are you enjoying your purchase ..any issues? I am usually strictly SONY with my televisions but they can't seem to get their act together with implementing all the 2.1 features. I can't spend 2K on a damn promise!!
Love my c1 ..only issues i have with it is the top part of the screen is very thin so if you have to move it you gotta be ultra careful and if you have cats that like to climb up tvs make sure you secure the base

picture wise its perfect..i have an older model LG oled and you can defiantly tell the difference in picture quality
the only bugbear i have is that somehow i have made it so when i turn my tv on the ps5 turns on..and when i turn my ps5 on it sometimes turns the tv on and changes it to the ps5 channel when im in the middle of an xbox game which is annoying

executor

Got it and it’s the best tv I ever had (previous was a high end lcd Sony without hdr). First game I played on it was 13 sentinels and it really shines (wife loved it compared to lcd). Never did any serious calibration and it is already very good. Using as standard tv for all family and never had any problem at all (it also works quite well with old 480p upscaled content) works perfectly with ps5 and xsx (demons in 30 fps is very good but when you get used to higher frame rates it’s hard to get back….), switch is fine (if you accept the fact that switch on 65 inch is not at its best….). Apps and ui works very well. I use it connected to a good av receiver for sound so no comments there (tv can directly control it, switch channels on av, change volume etc with hdmi cec that works very well).

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Lqmamh7.jpg

The fate of every OLED
Maybe 7 years ago

NeonGhost

Love my c1 ..only issues i have with it is the top part of the screen is very thin so if you have to move it you gotta be ultra careful and if you have cats that like to climb up tvs make sure you secure the base

picture wise its perfect..i have an older model LG oled and you can defiantly tell the difference in picture quality
the only bugbear i have is that somehow i have made it so when i turn my tv on the ps5 turns on..and when i turn my ps5 on it sometimes turns the tv on and changes it to the ps5 channel when im in the middle of an xbox game which is annoying
Turn off your hdmi link settings in the ps5 menu

Kagey K

Banned
Highjacking the thread since I'm looking into buying this too. Does 30fps really looks bad in OLED TVs (any different from LCD screens?)? Because in my phone it looks fine and it's an OLED screen.
I’ve been watching a bunch of old school TV shows on it (Fantasy Island, Love Boat, Hill Street Blues etc etc) You will find that all content just looks naturally better on it.

HD, SD, 4K, it doesn’t matter.

Every doubt you have will be put to rest when you start using it.

I have 4 oled in my home 3 LG 1(48" CX 65" C9 83" C1) 1 77" Sony AG9. The LG tvs are better imo for gaming I have my PC hooked up to the 48" and it's a blast the 83 has PS5 hooked up to it the picture is outstanding
EbkF1zc.jpg
4jzhwnM.jpg
tX5rYQ3.jpg
h
k6oEmsa.jpg

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I decided not to get the C1, but rather the CX which was over 500 cheaper and they seem to be almost identical. I think CX has the same 2.1 feature set, as well.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If you have either of the 2019/2020 LG range and you are using VRR you will have to manually adjust you black range on a per game basis... if you don't well then I'm going to be honest your probably not the type of person that should be banging on about how great the picture quality of OLED looks because it could be put infront of any TV and if told its an OLED would go ape shit about it.

This is something LG advises you to do because they had to implement a stopgap fix to the grey like blacks if VRR is on, if you don't adjust the blacks manually it has the same issue it has always had before the firmware update, which is essentially VRR breaks the picture quality of the TV.

Fantastic for older generation consoles and movies though.

Guide on how to do this, if you haven't it's a huge diffrence. So yes it has "all the features" but it also is an utter chore for some of them.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

If you have either of the 2019/2020 LG range and you are using VRR you will have to manually adjust you black range on a per game basis... if you don't well then I'm going to be honest your probably not the type of person that should be banging on about how great the picture quality of OLED looks because it could be put infront of any TV and if told its an OLED would go ape shit about it.

This is something LG advises you to do because they had to implement a stopgap fix to the grey like blacks if VRR is on, if you don't adjust the blacks manually it has the same issue it has always had before the firmware update, which is essentially VRR breaks the picture quality of the TV.

Fantastic for older generation consoles and movies though.

Guide on how to do this, if you haven't it's a huge diffrence. So yes it has "all the features" but it also is an utter chore for some of them.

good thing I have a 2021

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
good think I have a 2021

You can easily tell it will be named G1 or GX in the same way the 2020 series was C1, CX etc.

Not a massive bump in overall picture quality but it does fix the issues with the prior generation which is great. Honestly I am unsure how "Neo OLED" compared to Mini LED, LG says its better but considering the local dimming improvement and much brighter whites Mini LED brings the table I'm unsure how Neo OLED can effectively counter that without burning itself out (I believe Neo OLED has a worse peak brightness to regular OLED)

I don't have either of the new generation TV's however so that's not for sure, and don't plan on buying a new set until at least 2023, hopefully they will have more than one HDMI 2.1 ports on the Mini LED by then.

Last edited:

PrimeX

This appears to be the only television that has every single next gen 2.1 feature (VRR, ALLM, Dolby Vision, HDR 10/10+)
Sorry what? B9 does support ALLM, VRR, DV, HDR 10.

I think HDR10+ is only on Samsung and Panasonic as they are the developers.

If I could have sex with an LG OLED I would.

The LG CX is a fucking game changer and I have no idea how TVs are supposed to get better than this thing.
Enjoy your tv. But the c1 is a pretty huge improvement in terms of motion. Near black and compressed content with dark scenes looks bad on white oled (lg), which should be fixed by samsung qd oled if they don't fuck it up. Then later, qned which is like oled but brighter and inorganic. After that, yeah we are pretty much at the peak of current display tech.
QLEDs with local dimming get contrast ratios so close to OLED for most people,putting up with OLEDs limitations make no sense.
Mini led COULD get close, but it's amateur hour atm. Tcl is a joke, and samsung's QA and dimming algorithm are junk. Until Sony can be bothered to make one. Sony mini led is my near future most wanted tv. Much brighter than oled, and at least on axis viewing should be comparable. No input lag hit with bfi unlike oled.

Again though, not sure they'll bother.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
You really are clueless huh?

id be amazed to see anyone do that to their OLED now, you would have to go out of your way to disable every safety feature they have and keep it on a orange pumpkin station all day for that to happen.

My C9 is coming up on 15000 hours and still looks just as good as the day I bought it,

Hope you're right, I have 2 OLEDS from 4-5 years ago and they both are ruined.

Azurro

Banned
OLED all day, every day. Finally horror games don't look horribly washed out, I'm in love with the black levels. I watched plenty of comparisons with Samsung's QLED and it's a bit of a joke in that aspect. I wouldn't get one, unless you use your TV with a huge window right in front of it and only play between 2 and 4 pm.

GreatnessRD

TELEVISION ?! Who would use such a thing for a ps5 display? yuck...
(seriously, if you have the money and play with shades or mostly in the evening ?! Get it !!!
Amazing quality of picture, motion and it gets scorching bright when you play at night and exit a cave in uncharted 4 with hdr... this is the best purchase I might have ever done lol and I was skeptical because of the size. But few days after purchase, 48" is perfectly fine

TQR2BLb.jpeg

qvdG8FG.jpg

GsG64P3.jpg

Look at the contrast at night ! If I disable pc rgb, I cannot see the black areas at all !
7k1rLEa.jpg
Do you run it 24/7 or do you turn off the PC? This is one of the reasons I'm scared of OLED. I know I run my PC 24/7 and I don't think the screensavers and trickery n magic you gotta do to refresh the OLED will be a solid solution for my use case. Does look sweet though!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The cult of OLED loves acting like it has no flaws and is perfect for everyone,do not be fooled into being stopgap technology. It will go the way of the Plasma display.
Lol. Nobody said that. The insecurity of lcd owners is blatant in every tv thread. Oled are objectively better. This isn't opinion. You can prefer a brighter image all you want. It's still not going to be recommended by any industry calibrator or professional. Just like the video you posted. Vincent says the picture on the oled is better.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Technically every tech will go away sooner or later. OLED has been on the market for 7 years already and will be there for at least another 5. Calling it a stopgap is simply trolling.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
The cult of OLED loves acting like it has no flaws and is perfect for everyone,do not be fooled into being stopgap technology. It will go the way of the Plasma display.
What's the point of this reply if we don't have LCD high end sets anymore? At least in Brazil we don't. I'd love to find a LCD with all bells and whistles but they simply don't exist.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
QLEDs with local dimming get contrast ratios so close to OLED for most people,putting up with OLEDs limitations make no sense.
Maybe so. Maybe... If there are dimming zones... And more than 8.
QLED by itself means nothing. Still normal LCD

rofif

Banned
Do you run it 24/7 or do you turn off the PC? This is one of the reasons I'm scared of OLED. I know I run my PC 24/7 and I don't think the screensavers and trickery n magic you gotta do to refresh the OLED will be a solid solution for my use case. Does look sweet though!
I run it 1200 hours since march to last month. Then I got it replaced due to bad pixel (can happen to any monitor).
No burn sign at all.

I just have set windows to blank black screen after 2 min of inactivity. And wallpapers on randomize every 1 minute but I barely leave it on bare desktop

GreatnessRD

I run it 1200 hours since march to last month. Then I got it replaced due to bad pixel (can happen to any monitor).
No burn sign at all.

I just have set windows to blank black screen after 2 min of inactivity. And wallpapers on randomize every 1 minute but I barely leave it on bare desktop
Oh ok. Good to know. Still think when I eventually do get a TV, I'll settle for the QLED from Sony. But those C1's and G1's look so god tier, lol

Celcius

°Temp. member
What about the auto dimming that Linus discussed in his review? Is it not annoying or an issue for gaming?

Thanati

Perfect timing for this thread as I’ve been looking to upgrade and this was one of the tv’s on my list.

xPikYx

I recently purchased a C1 55" and 8s absolutely the best thing I have ever seen. Truly on another level. Some things you watch are so real you wanna touch them

HoofHearted

You can easily tell it will be named G1 or GX in the same way the 2020 series was C1, CX etc.
For clarity - LG G and C series are different models. GX/CX were the 2020 model(s) - G1/C1 are 2021 model(s).

To answer OP's original question -

I just went through this with deciding between the Sony A80J and LG C1. I ended up buying both, setting them up, and comparing them side-by-side for 2 days.

I have purchased (and prefer) many Sony TVs in the past - however, this time I went with the LG C1.

Primary reason(s)?

While both offer a great overall picture and performance, the Sony A80J "feels" like a mid-year "bump" in specs. It's clear that there are issues with getting the firmware updated/working with the 2 HDMI 2.1 ports. Between the two sets - while Sony had a minor bump in overall picture quality and colors were more accurate out of the box, I'd also note that the Sony had a softer image than the LG.

Not entirely sure if this was due to the screen coating (matte finish versus LG's clear) - but overall - this was noticeable to others viewing the TV's side-by-side and noting that the LG was a clearer picture than the Sony. From a motion and processing perspective - both sets performed equally and were both very impressive.

To be honest - unless you've setup these sets side by side and watched them extensively for a long period of time - you really won't notice a difference between them... they're THAT close. With this all said and done - with the LG being slightly cheaper and with better support for connectivity (another firmware was released while I was testing - Sony has just released the VRR firmware but it hasn't been made widely available for the A80J yet), I opted to go with LG this time around..

With respect to the image burn-in - simple - buy a warranty if you're concerned (Best Buy provides a 5 year warranty). Either way you can't go wrong - buy one and enjoy!

Shai-Tan

Banned

just disable HDMI CEC on PS5, it's the reason it turns on

Top Bottom