• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG C1 OLED--Question

Shai-Tan

Banned
What about the auto dimming that Linus discussed in his review? Is it not annoying or an issue for gaming?
his complaint wasnt about games but desktop. the issue is when you come back to desktop it will be auto dimmed for some secs (even though I have black screensaver turn on after 2 minute). not that much of an issue for me. not aggressive enough to happen in games typically

daveonezero

Banned
TELEVISION ?! Who would use such a thing for a ps5 display? yuck...
(seriously, if you have the money and play with shades or mostly in the evening ?! Get it !!!
Amazing quality of picture, motion and it gets scorching bright when you play at night and exit a cave in uncharted 4 with hdr... this is the best purchase I might have ever done lol and I was skeptical because of the size. But few days after purchase, 48" is perfectly fine

TQR2BLb.jpeg

qvdG8FG.jpg

GsG64P3.jpg

Look at the contrast at night ! If I disable pc rgb, I cannot see the black areas at all !
7k1rLEa.jpg
That’s the C1?
I’m looking for a 48” for my RV.

rofif

Banned
QLEDs are not normal LCDs thought LOL

8 dimming zones? even the cheapest QLEDs have 32-70 at least. Neo QLEDs are in the 500 to over 1000 range.
I don't want to argue but QLED is just a normal LCD with added phosphor layer to make it reach dci p3 color space.... all lcd traits are still there

daveonezero daveonezero yes. 48" c1. It does not strike me as road ready rv tv :p It's quite thin and fragile

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
You don't want to argue then don't tag me for you BS.
bullshit ?! And I don't tag you. I only answer to your stupid bs
Qled is just a marketing term samsung invented for an lcd with added "vibrancy" layer. You don't know what you are talking about.
I never said qleds are bad. For a bright room? of course, why not.

FrankieSab

Wtf happened there lmao. I have 3 OLEDs, oldest is 3 years and never had even tiniest burn in.
Same for me, had a LG oled B6 in 2016, it's now in my basement and still has an incredible PQ. Have a new LG 2020 BX in my living room that is incredible for gaming.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I don't want to argue but QLED is just a normal LCD with added phosphor layer to make it reach dci p3 color space.... all lcd traits are still there

daveonezero daveonezero yes. 48" c1. It does not strike me as road ready rv tv :p It's quite thin and fragile

mount it right it will be fine. I’ll probably do an elevator enclosure too.

Highjacking the thread since I'm looking into buying this too. Does 30fps really looks bad in OLED TVs (any different from LCD screens?)? Because in my phone it looks fine and it's an OLED screen.

I have the C9.

Low framerate content takes some time to acclimate. Because the TV has zero pixel blur, you see every… single… frame. The first time you boot up a 4K/30fps game, you are going to cringe.

That said, you will get used to it. I play many games in the high quality mode instead of performance, and I don’t even notice now. Hell, I am playing Red Dead Redemption on PS3 right now and it’s fine.

Lqmamh7.jpg

The fate of every OLED

Sorry, but this is FUD. I have over 2000 gaming hours on my LG C9 OLED and the image is pristine. I have done nothing special in regards to care other than turning it off when I am done using it. I am using no special settings; just the default game mode with HGIG enabled.

Any model OLED from the past three years is fine without any babying. You won’t see anything like what that picture shows until you are past the practical life of the TV.

Last edited:

ZeMMiK

This appears to be the only television that has every single next gen 2.1 feature (VRR, ALLM, Dolby Vision, HDR 10/10+). For those of you who may have this particular set...are you enjoying your purchase ..any issues? I am usually strictly SONY with my televisions but they can't seem to get their act together with implementing all the 2.1 features. I can't spend 2K on a damn promise!!
i have one, but i paid 1200eu for 48 inch, sometimes 55inch is 1000eu... not 2k. really happy with the screen.....

cortadew

It's what is keeping me from buying an OLED TV. If 30fps games and movies look significantly worse in motion than LCD, it's a bummer. I won't ever turn smoothing on because it ruins everything.
the LG C1 has black frame insertion settings that make the tv pretty close to a crt so it's actually better than most LCD.

thatJohann

I’m patiently waiting for the C2 next year to have that VRR gamma fix natively in the panel. Then it should be perfect.

Ryu Kaiba

TELEVISION ?! Who would use such a thing for a ps5 display? yuck...
(seriously, if you have the money and play with shades or mostly in the evening ?! Get it !!!
Amazing quality of picture, motion and it gets scorching bright when you play at night and exit a cave in uncharted 4 with hdr... this is the best purchase I might have ever done lol and I was skeptical because of the size. But few days after purchase, 48" is perfectly fine

TQR2BLb.jpeg

qvdG8FG.jpg

GsG64P3.jpg

Look at the contrast at night ! If I disable pc rgb, I cannot see the black areas at all !
7k1rLEa.jpg
I removed the stand from mine so it can sit closer to the wall
G5BNEDj.jpg

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Wtf happened there lmao. I have 3 OLEDs, oldest is 3 years and never had even tiniest burn in.
Fear spreads fast so worst case scenario shots are all over making people think this is the norm. I've had many OLED devices for years and have yet to see burn in, and if it eventually comes I'll buy another because it's that much damn better.

ZywyPL

Banned
For anyone with older LG model - apparently the newest FW that enables 120Hz Dolby Vision is available for download on their Korean website:

Driven number is 04.30.10, supported TV sets are as follows:

• OLED55CXBNA
  • OLED55CXCNA
  • OLED55CXFNA
  • OLED55CXGNA
  • OLED55GXKNA
  • OLED65CXBNA
  • OLED65CXCNA
  • OLED65CXFNA
  • OLED65CXGNA
  • OLED65GXKNA
  • OLED77CXFNA
  • OLED77CXKNA
  • OLED77GXKNA
  • OLED48CXKNB
  • OLED65RXKNA
  • OLED65WXKNA

BestBuy had the C1 on sale for cheaper than the CX right now in the US.
They do, which is weird, but not complaining as I bought the 77 at last.

Delayed the delivery though as I need to do some work on the wall it’s being mounted on (wife wants to paint first). Arrives on the 30th.

Replacing an OLED B7 which has undeniable burn in - don’t even care, picture quality is worth it. Also have a Samsung Q80T and much prefer the LG.

Last edited:
They do, which is weird, but not complaining as I bought the 77 at last.

Delayed the delivery though as I need to do some work on the wall it’s being mounted on (wife wants to paint first). Arrives on the 30th.

Replacing an OLED B7 which has undeniable burn in - don’t even care, picture quality is worth it. Also have a Samsung Q80T and much prefer the LG.

I'm getting the 65" to replace the Samsung KS8000 I bought 4-5 years ago.

how are you guys liking the brightness of the C1 panel? I had a panel that had max nit of about 800, and I was thinking 1000 is really needed in moderately bright rooms.

Flintty

Anyone here watch 4K films on their C1? Any good? I need a new TV for the cave and it will be used for everything, so I want a good all rounder. Should I worry about HDR10+?

I just brought home a C1. I was nervous about OLED burn in and the high price but said screw it, I’m going all on. So far I’ve hated everything about it, and am strongly considering a return.

I haven’t even had a chance to enjoy watching anything yet. This thing is big and heavy. Despite how thin it seems, it’s a pain to maneuver and awkward to hold onto. The stand is terrible. It takes up a ton of space, is super heavy, and wobbles a lot any time I move my TV stand.

WebOS is an abomination, this TV feels like it’s fighting me at every turn. The UI on day 1 is so laggy and the menus are unorganized. Hidden settings always in the last place you’d look for them, with several different menus you would never think to end up. There is even broken English in the setup and other menus. Even what is supposed to be intuitive turns into frustration. The remote itself is oddly shaped, fits poorly in the hand, and encourages terrible waggle like the Wii circa 2006.

I connected a Roku stick+ and my Sonos soundbar, and have had nothing but pain so far. The TV tries to take control of everything and constantly kicks you back to the Home Screen (full of ads) with nonsense prompts about allowing LG and it’s shitty remote to control all your devices. I can’t stand it - it even fought me when I setup my Roku remote to control power and volume of the TV.

Worst of all has been my experience with my new Sonos soundbar. I got the Arc and have been really pleased with the experience, up until now. Not only was it a pain in the ass to get it setup with the C1 (yet took 2 minutes or less with my old TCL) but i can’t even tell the volume level because this TV offers no indicator. No number, no bar, nothing - just an indicator if you are pressing up or down. There is no way to tell how loud your system is if you don’t have a sound system with a screen (Sonos doesn’t), and I’m not going to be checking my phone app for volume for the next 5+ years every time this TV is used.

Apologies for the long rant, but I wish I would have known even half of this info before I made the purchase and brought this home. I might give it a try once tomorrow for visuals, but I am already soured on the whole package. I hope this helps some people decide whether they can live with the annoyances I’ve endured so far.

You never owned a Kuro.
I mean, that's everyone who is new to display tech and under 40's first *true (I thought the Samsung 81f series was mine, at first) love amirite? Two D-Nice calibrated 5020s (one with elite mod and black level tweak). Still though, while I loved those to bits, the CX is on a different level. They're with a family member who I've 'trained' to appreciate them lol.

CuNi

I just brought home a C1. I was nervous about OLED burn in and the high price but said screw it, I’m going all on. So far I’ve hated everything about it, and am strongly considering a return.

I haven’t even had a chance to enjoy watching anything yet. This thing is big and heavy. Despite how thin it seems, it’s a pain to maneuver and awkward to hold onto. The stand is terrible. It takes up a ton of space, is super heavy, and wobbles a lot any time I move my TV stand.

WebOS is an abomination, this TV feels like it’s fighting me at every turn. The UI on day 1 is so laggy and the menus are unorganized. Hidden settings always in the last place you’d look for them, with several different menus you would never think to end up. There is even broken English in the setup and other menus. Even what is supposed to be intuitive turns into frustration. The remote itself is oddly shaped, fits poorly in the hand, and encourages terrible waggle like the Wii circa 2006.

I connected a Roku stick+ and my Sonos soundbar, and have had nothing but pain so far. The TV tries to take control of everything and constantly kicks you back to the Home Screen (full of ads) with nonsense prompts about allowing LG and it’s shitty remote to control all your devices. I can’t stand it - it even fought me when I setup my Roku remote to control power and volume of the TV.

Worst of all has been my experience with my new Sonos soundbar. I got the Arc and have been really pleased with the experience, up until now. Not only was it a pain in the ass to get it setup with the C1 (yet took 2 minutes or less with my old TCL) but i can’t even tell the volume level because this TV offers no indicator. No number, no bar, nothing - just an indicator if you are pressing up or down. There is no way to tell how loud your system is if you don’t have a sound system with a screen (Sonos doesn’t), and I’m not going to be checking my phone app for volume for the next 5+ years every time this TV is used.

Apologies for the long rant, but I wish I would have known even half of this info before I made the purchase and brought this home. I might give it a try once tomorrow for visuals, but I am already soured on the whole package. I hope this helps some people decide whether they can live with the annoyances I’ve endured so far.

Also recently got a C1 65".
I have to agree on the assembly part. The screen is so thin yet both the stand AND the lower Screen halt with the electronics is seriously heavy that it honestly confused me that the manual suggest you put the upper half WITH THE SCREEN DOWN on a table to mount the Stand. We didn't do that because A) you could easily scratch your screen that way and B) how the hell are you supposed to get it up right again!? I would never grab it by the thin screen, it looks like it would snap in a instant. Also the Settings really are all over the place, I agree with you too.

But I don't know what you mean with the Volume. Maybe it's different through ARC but even when I connect my Bluetooth headphones, I get a Volume Indicator on Screen telling me how loud the TV Speakers or Bluetooth Speakers are set too, I'd imagine this is there even with ARC too. I also only use the TV for Netflix/Amazon Prime/Disney+ so I only had to setup all the settings once (SDR/HDR. DV does it automatically). So far I am more than stunned by the screen, coming from a 5 year old Samsung 4k Smart TV. Only think the C1 Remote is lacking IMHO is a dedicated Play/Pause button. I cannot understand why they got rid of that, I'll have to look into a possibility to maybe programm one of the Color-Buttosn to Play/Pause.

Also recently got a C1 65".
I have to agree on the assembly part. The screen is so thin yet both the stand AND the lower Screen halt with the electronics is seriously heavy that it honestly confused me that the manual suggest you put the upper half WITH THE SCREEN DOWN on a table to mount the Stand. We didn't do that because A) you could easily scratch your screen that way and B) how the hell are you supposed to get it up right again!? I would never grab it by the thin screen, it looks like it would snap in a instant. Also the Settings really are all over the place, I agree with you too.

But I don't know what you mean with the Volume. Maybe it's different through ARC but even when I connect my Bluetooth headphones, I get a Volume Indicator on Screen telling me how loud the TV Speakers or Bluetooth Speakers are set too, I'd imagine this is there even with ARC too. I also only use the TV for Netflix/Amazon Prime/Disney+ so I only had to setup all the settings once (SDR/HDR. DV does it automatically). So far I am more than stunned by the screen, coming from a 5 year old Samsung 4k Smart TV. Only think the C1 Remote is lacking IMHO is a dedicated Play/Pause button. I cannot understand why they got rid of that, I'll have to look into a possibility to maybe programm one of the Color-Buttosn to Play/Pause.

Yeah great point about assembly. I ended up putting it face down on moving blankets stacked on each other and kept the foam and plastic on.

The volume is definitely different with ARC. There is only a plus or minus that shows up. No number, no bar, nothing. Doing some searching tells me it’s intentional and on all LG TVs in recent years and possibly a limitation of their design. Meanwhile on my old TCL I at least get a number increment that pops up when connected over ARC.

The picture looks great today in my tests! Definitely a big improvement from anything I’ve ever owned. Still nervous about burn in and how bright it is in my living room. At this point I’m debating whether I should return it for an A80j or X90j. I’m pretty sure all of these little problems with the C1 will kill my enjoyment of the TV and I’m going to need to live with it for a while.

I love my CX, but it has serious issues with my TCL soundbar. It almost never defaults to the soundbar, so I have to manually change the sound input to HDMI every time I turn it on. And sometimes it simply refuses to recognize the soundbar once I've done that, resulting in no sound at all or the TV repeatedly switching back to internal TV speakers until I reset the soundbar. No idea what causes this issue.

Using mine as a monitor, with a C1 48" (I've replaced my odyssey g9 with it) and so far so good. I've yet to try it with a next-gen console, as my ps5 is hooked up to my projector right now.

Hopefully burn-in won't be that bad, but I'm being pretty considerate.

Last edited:

Fbh

As and update I've now had a 55" C1 for 5 days and so far I'm really liking it:
A few early thoughts:

Setup:
I agree that the stand is rather big and somewhat annoying to assemble, was also scared as fuck while setting it up because of how incredibly thin it is, made me feel like it would break with the tiniest of added force, but everything went fine lol.

Picture:
The picture quality and specially the contrast are amazing. Don't own another current higher end TV to compare but it's definitely a notorious step up from a Samsuns JS8500 I used to have. The biggest different with every other TV I've had or recently seen is definitely most appreciated in darker scenes.
I liked the way standard mode looks out of the box and only had to do some slight adjustments (was a bit over saturated IMO). I tried out the cinema modes and some of the settings I often see recommended online but I just fail to see the appeal, it just looks dim and notoriously orange.

The OS and controller:
Is basically what I've come to expect from Smart TV's. It's a bit slow but does everything I want it to do (I basically just use the various streaming apps). Not sure about that main menu with adds everyone talks about, when I turn it on it's just on the input I last left it.
The controller is fine too, it has a quick access button to the most popular streaming apps which is nice and the pointer works fine. I have to say though, I've hear a lot of people rave about it but it doesn't seem to do anything special compared to the controller my JS8500 already had in 2015?

Gaming:
So far has been great, I don't own any next gen consoles but even on the Ps4 Pro games look amazing. Lower res stuff like Switch game also looks pretty good and the response time is great. I've been playing on an old 10 years old 32"LCD for the past year so the jump in picture quality almost makes it feel like I got a generational leap with the same hardware.
It does have a game optimizer mode which is a tad dimmer than the regular image and IMO looked a bit washed out with the standard settings, but after adjusting it for a while I've now reached a picture quality I'm really happy with.

how are you guys liking the brightness of the C1 panel? I had a panel that had max nit of about 800, and I was thinking 1000 is really needed in moderately bright rooms.

Brightness is definitely not the strong point.
It looks spectacular in dark rooms but the birght room experience is lacking, specially with SDR content. For me it's not much of an issue as I get home after 8pm almost every day, but if you intended to use it a lot during the day in a room with a lot of windows I'd look into the getting some black out curtains or going with a QLED.

Arioco

Well, OLED are definitely not the brightest TVs out there. I have a CX whick peaks at 800 nits too and if your room is very bright there might be better options for you. But if you watch it in a dark room... Oh my!

tenor.gif

rofif

Banned
What mode are you guys using for netflix built-in app with dolby vision/hdr ?
Cinema with real cinema setting ?

rofif

Banned
I use a tweaked standard mode.
Accuracy be damned, I don't want and orange piss filter on everything.
Well I personally like warm50 but as you say - at first it looks piss yellow. But I was surprised how quickly I got used to it.
It looks blue at standard now :p

hussar16

I own it. No real complaints. Best set I've ever had. Nothing wrong with 30fps games on oled. Remember they have near-instantaneous response times so you won't notice much black smearing or ghosting at all.
i have an oled the smearing ghsoting is still very much apparant. this isnt a plasma tv where it was not noticable

Fbh

Well I personally like warm50 but as you say - at first it looks piss yellow. But I was surprised how quickly I got used to it.
It looks blue at standard now :p

Guess I could give cinema mode a try scaling back the warm setting a bit.
I just like whites looking white....instead of orange.

rofif

Banned
Guess I could give cinema mode a try scaling back the warm setting a bit.
I just like whites looking white....instead of orange.
only for some time. Give it a chance. It's technically closer to proper calibration but also easier on the eyes

From what I've understood, using any plug-in third party device nullifies the TVs built-in anti-burn in tech (screensaver after two minutes of inactivity and logo detection). Am I wrong here?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
i have an oled the smearing ghsoting is still very much apparant. this isnt a plasma tv where it was not noticable
That's motion blur caused by your eyes. Not the same. Respones times are faster than any LCD. That can also be mitigated with bfi

Last edited:

Flintty

Setup:
I agree that the stand is rather big and somewhat annoying to assemble, was also scared as fuck while setting it up because of how incredibly thin it is, made me feel like it would break with the tiniest of added force, but everything went fine lol.
Yeah, fuck me I hate setting up a new TV, I’m always scared shirtless of how delicate the thin screens are. Sweaty palms

hussar16

That's motion blur caused by your eyes. Not the same. Respones times are faster than any LCD. That can also be mitigated with bfi
no it is not caused by my eyes. when u turn on bfi the blur is gone. so ur gona tell me that my eyes only see blur when bfi is turned off. if thats so then whats bfi for? also plasmas dont have this ghosting yet led,lcd and oled do ,my eyes see the blur its pretty simple ,lcd have worse response times then oled but oled have worse then plasma

dotnotbot

no it is not caused by my eyes. when u turn on bfi the blur is gone. so ur gona tell me that my eyes only see blur when bfi is turned off. if thats so then whats bfi for? also plasmas dont have this ghosting yet led,lcd and oled do ,my eyes see the blur its pretty simple ,lcd have worse response times then oled but oled have worse then plasma

OLED and LCD are a sample and hold type of display, meaning picture stays on the screen for the entire time until the next refresh.
Plasma was an impulse display so it would flicker with very high frequency.
If you don't believe us that OLED doesn't have ghosting, try recording it with slow motion camera in your phone :) you'll see that it's 100% your eyes seeing the blur.
BFI introduces flicker and thanks to that our eyes perceive sharper motion with lower FPS. On current OLEDs it's still not good enough to achieve plasmas and CRT motion resolution with lower FPS content.

Last edited:
I have a C1 65" and very much enjoy it. My only gripe is when you connect a PS5 to the TV for UHD, you can't fully control picture settings, so you're using the "warm" setting, which your eyes always get used to quickly. There is also a really mild grain on bright white scenes for UHD, that you have to be willing to look past. I sit just close enough to my TV to notice it, and 2 feet back and it isn't noticeable.

Rikkori

OLED and LCD are a sample and hold type of display, meaning picture stays on the screen for the entire time until the next refresh.
Plasma was an impulse display so it would flicker with very high frequency.
If you don't believe us that OLED doesn't have ghosting, try recording it with slow motion camera in your phone :) you'll see that it's 100% your eyes seeing the blur.
BFI introduces flicker and thanks to that our eyes perceive sharper motion with lower FPS. On current OLEDs it's still not good enough to achieve plasmas and CRT motion resolution with lower FPS content.
frMclBl.gif

rofif

Banned
This picture is misleading. OLED refreshes extremely fast and there is no clear divide even if you record 1000fps.
I honestly don't understand those who say there is motion blur on OLED.... Wave a hand in front of your face. It's blurry.
What's with the super clear unnatural 1/10000 shutter speed some people wants. The same people turn off motion blur always and don't know why. That makes the picture look bad for me. Even 120hz is not enough to convey smooth natural motion through a series of static crisp images. You still need motion blur to cheat your brain into thinking you are looking at 1000fps display and there are no gaps between frames.

When I had 240hz monitor, I would disable motion blur on some games which did it correctly and it would look very similar like 60hz with motion blur.

Last edited:
Top Bottom