• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG C1 OLED--Question

hussar16

OLED and LCD are a sample and hold type of display, meaning picture stays on the screen for the entire time until the next refresh.
Plasma was an impulse display so it would flicker with very high frequency.
If you don't believe us that OLED doesn't have ghosting, try recording it with slow motion camera in your phone :) you'll see that it's 100% your eyes seeing the blur.
BFI introduces flicker and thanks to that our eyes perceive sharper motion with lower FPS. On current OLEDs it's still not good enough to achieve plasmas and CRT motion resolution with lower FPS content.
i dont care. I dont watch my oled in slow motion but full speed .and in full speed its blurry .compared to plasma

hussar16

Well, I don't care either, but since you were sure that it's not your eyes and that there is ghosting on OLED I gave you a proof that there isn't, that's all.
Well, I don't care either, but since you were sure that it's not your eyes and that there is ghosting on OLED I gave you a proof that there isn't, that's all.
u didnt prove anything . there is blur when u watch oled screens. nobody slows down something to watch it. get out of here with that.

CuNi

Maybe MicroLED?? I agree though, even the C9 is amazing (I have one).

AFAIK MicroLED will remove issues like Burn-In, image degradation and add in higher nits but that would be it.
I think going from LCD to OLED is like going from 60 to 144hz and OLED to MicroLED is like 175hz. There is a difference, but it's not so big as before since the biggest game changer when moving to OLED is the perfect black and color accuracy I'd say. You can't go darker than black.

I've been on a 50 inch plasma for over 10 years and will be getting a c1 this black friday, hope I don't see this blur. Saying that, I went round to my bro's to play the bf 2042 beta on his 48 inch cx and didn't notice any blur, maybe I will notice it on the bigger 65 inch I'm going for

dotnotbot

I've been on a 50 inch plasma for over 10 years and will be getting a c1 this black friday, hope I don't see this blur. Saying that, I went round to my bro's to play the bf 2042 beta on his 48 inch cx and didn't notice any blur, maybe I will notice it on the bigger 65 inch I'm going for

It's the low framerate content that looks blurry (and also juddery), so movies and 30 fps games. 60 is a lot sharper and 120 looks near perfect.

For movies, C1 has an advantage of having best motion interpolation yet ("Cinematic Movement" option), haven't seen it but everyone says it's great.

Last edited:
It's the low framerate content that looks blurry (and also juddery), so movies and 30 fps games. 60 is a lot sharper and 120 looks near perfect.

For movies, C1 has an advantage of having best motion interpolation yet ("Cinematic Movement" option), haven't seen it but everyone says it's great.
I see, thanks for the info. I don't really watch movies but watch a fair bit of YouTube. I'll go check out some YouTube on my bro's TV maybe

Keihart

Heavy scrolling is kinda shit on most OLEDs but you hardly notice it on most games, unless you are playing starcraft or dota or something like that on it.

Disclaimer, i love my OLED, never had a cool Plasma tho.

Last edited:

hussar16

OLED and LCD are a sample and hold type of display, meaning picture stays on the screen for the entire time until the next refresh.
Plasma was an impulse display so it would flicker with very high frequency.
If you don't believe us that OLED doesn't have ghosting, try recording it with slow motion camera in your phone :) you'll see that it's 100% your eyes seeing the blur.
BFI introduces flicker and thanks to that our eyes perceive sharper motion with lower FPS. On current OLEDs it's still not good enough to achieve plasmas and CRT motion resolution with lower FPS content.
why do i see blur in oled but not in plasma?easy to
I didn't, but the article I linked did very well.

Slow-mo camera was just an idea of experiment you can perform to understand how these screens work.
once again the article didnt prove anything either except that its not blurry in slow motion .full time its blurry without BFI

hussar16

just an idea of experiment you can perform to unders
Heavy scrolling is kinda shit on most OLEDs but you hardly notice it on most games, unless you are playing starcraft or dota or something like that on it.

Disclaimer, i love my OLED, never had a cool Plasma tho.
plasma are more crisp in motion and have almost no motion blur. oled needs BFI to have similar motion but it ruins the picture

Guess the boys at digital foundry are wrong aswell.crt and plasma have less blur it's because how they handle motion

CRT and plasma have better motion than oled in low fps content, including 60fps. But it isn't because of oled having more blur, in fact oled's problem for low fps is a lack of blur. With 120fps and bfi, it's possible for oled to look smoother than plasma, but it depends on the set. On crt and plasma, you also have phosphor trails which is caused by the rgb phosphor colors aging at different rates.

My x900e with bfi has better motion for games in 30fps and 60fps because of oled high judder in low fps, but also that picture processor on x900e has the best motion sony has ever produced. Lg c1, for 60fps is the possible exception as it has great motion all round, but it has too much stutter on 30fps still.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

But it isn't because of oled having more blur, in fact oled's problem for low fps is a lack of blur.

This ^ one frame on OLED is held still on the screen for far too long with low FPS content, simply put flicker acts as a "reset" for our eyes and that's why OLED appears to be blurry while impulse driven displays don't.

q2FlHyS.png

Last edited:
This ^ one frame on OLED is held still on the screen for far too long with low FPS content, simply put flicker acts as a "reset" for our eyes and that's why OLED appears to be blurry while impulse driven displays don't.

q2FlHyS.png
Incidentally, the solution for this is motion interpolation for games, which only samsung does atm, and done poorly frankly.

This will need to be done moving forward as Samsung qned and micro led are sample and hold as well. C1 is the first tv with basically artifact free interpolation, so LG is ahead of the game on this but it needs to be implemented and tweaked for games as moving a camera in games will make artifacts more obvious.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Guess the boys at digital foundry are wrong aswell.crt and plasma have less blur it's because how they handle motion

I have 120hz crt right here. It's not better than 120hz c1. The only difference is structure of pixels (crt having round pixels with soft edges).
The motion is so good on both, the only motion blur you see is the created because of eyes biology, brain physics whatever it is. Same as waving you hand in front of your face.
natural motion blur...
That said - We need bette rmotion blur since oled is too janky when frames are too clear and 120hz is not enough for eyes to really create good motion like with filmic motion blur

This appears to be the only television that has every single next gen 2.1 feature (VRR, ALLM, Dolby Vision, HDR 10/10+). For those of you who may have this particular set...are you enjoying your purchase ..any issues? I am usually strictly SONY with my televisions but they can't seem to get their act together with implementing all the 2.1 features. I can't spend 2K on a damn promise!!
Picked up a 65” C1 this werk. Huge upgrade over my Samsung QLED; you will definitely notice on the SX but maybe not so much on the PS5 other than more vibrant HDR… maybe it’s VRR on the SX? Only real “unpleasant surprise” was that I needed direct HDMI 2.1 cables from the SX and the PS5 into the tv to hit 120 hz 4K and the higher colour 4K bit depths, as opposed into my “8k ready” Denon receiver which I assumed would work. Because of my consoles being on the right hand side I had to buy new cables to reach the C1 input panel, which is on the left-hand side of the panel.

Last edited:
From what I've understood, using any plug-in third party device nullifies the TVs built-in anti-burn in tech (screensaver after two minutes of inactivity and logo detection). Am I wrong here?

So far it seems like the screensaver doesn’t work with other input devices, but I’m not sure about the anti burn in. With that said my Apple TV screensaver is a slow panning video of a city at night and seems like it would help avoid burn in. I have the logo recognition setting turned on but can’t tell if it’s working or not - no indicator that I’m aware of.

I’ve been watching more and the image is definitely awesome. And while my complaints about the interface and UI still stand, I’ve managed to get it to the point where I don’t really need to interact with it at all. Apple TV, soundbar, Switch, and PS5 are the only things I really see now. It’s kind of like going back to a dumb TV and I’m enjoying that, but I still get frustrated with no volume level and sometimes when I need to change the brightness setting.

I ended up also buying a Sony X90J on sale and it when it gets here I’ll try to remember to come back and give some impressions and comparisons from the perspective of an average Joe. If it’s close enough I’ll return the C1, but worst case I may just deal with the issues and try to limit my interaction with the TV aside from input changing.

ABnormal

This appears to be the only television that has every single next gen 2.1 feature (VRR, ALLM, Dolby Vision, HDR 10/10+). For those of you who may have this particular set...are you enjoying your purchase ..any issues? I am usually strictly SONY with my televisions but they can't seem to get their act together with implementing all the 2.1 features. I can't spend 2K on a damn promise!!
All the oled Panasonic line of this year has all of those features, plus higher level electronics and image perfection. So it's more a matter of price. In the JZ1500 I have seen all what I was waiting for the last years, so the choice is finally done.
At the same time, I have directed a friend of mine on the LG C1, because he was searching the best within a certain price threshold. And C1 is really a great price/performance combination.

For anyone here that owns a C1 and is playing audio through the televisions own speakers, keep the sound profile on "cinema" for best quality. It tends to change itself once in game mode too, so keep that in mind.

PsyEd

I got the C1 77 in the weekend...nice TV but seems it has serious audio lag when passing dolby atmos/LPCM sound to my Q950T soundbar. The "passthrough" mode is totally bogus as well as the "PCM"...."auto" is the only one but is flawed. For XsX I ended up connecting it direct to the soundbar since I can give up this "4k120" whatever but need my atmos surround...while I kept the Ps5 connected direct to TV. since I only game with it. My mate with a denon has the same issue so it's not a samsung issue. Seems it's a well known issue since CX model!?! Anyway I hope they update the firmware sometime down the track.

dotnotbot

All the oled Panasonic line of this year has all of those features, plus higher level electronics and image perfection. So it's more a matter of price. In the JZ1500 I have seen all what I was waiting for the last years, so the choice is finally done.
No Dolby Vision at 120 Hz and Dolby Vision + VRR doesn't work properly (seems to be Mediatek thing).
Also no decontouring filter while a lot of games have color banding issues.
4k@120 currently works at 3840x1080, they promised a fix but it might further compromise color gradation (it's already noticeably worse than it was on HZ series)

Last edited:

hussar16

CRT and plasma have better motion than oled in low fps content, including 60fps. But it isn't because of oled having more blur, in fact oled's problem for low fps is a lack of blur. With 120fps and bfi, it's possible for oled to look smoother than plasma, but it depends on the set. On crt and plasma, you also have phosphor trails which is caused by the rgb phosphor colors aging at different rates.

My x900e with bfi has better motion for games in 30fps and 60fps because of oled high judder in low fps, but also that picture processor on x900e has the best motion sony has ever produced. Lg c1, for 60fps is the possible exception as it has great motion all round, but it has too much stutter on 30fps still.
That's what I've been saying ,thanks for repeating me asshat. Low frame rate content looks more clear on a plasma or crt then

Wait wheres the whole talk about it being not the oled tv that's blurry but your eyes. I love how quick you are to take back what you said .thanks for repeating me that with bfi oled looks clear.it only took digital foundry to explain it to you .

Last edited:

hussar16

I have 120hz crt right here. It's not better than 120hz c1. The only difference is structure of pixels (crt having round pixels with soft edges).
The motion is so good on both, the only motion blur you see is the created because of eyes biology, brain physics whatever it is. Same as waving you hand in front of your face.
natural motion blur...
That said - We need bette rmotion blur since oled is too janky when frames are too clear and 120hz is not enough for eyes to really create good motion like with filmic motion bluyour right about oled needing better motion handling.

natural motion blur...
That said - We need bette rmotion blur since oled is too janky when frames are too clear and 120hz is not enough for eyes to really create good motion like with filmic motion blur
I agree with you oled does need to upgrade it's motion handling being the content is so cupscaled and clear. But digital foundry here even say the picture on CRT is way more crisp then oled

I have the C1 and it's amazing. Straight up. You're much better off saving a bunch of money buying the C1 versus the Sony counterpart. LG just has better support for gaming.

ABnormal

No Dolby Vision at 120 Hz and Dolby Vision + VRR doesn't work properly (seems to be Mediatek thing).
Also no decontouring filter while a lot of games have color banding issues.
4k@120 currently works at 3840x1080, they promised a fix but it might further compromise color gradation (it's already noticeably worse than it was on HZ series)
I have read about Dolby Vision issues, but Dolby Vision Dark seems to not have those, and anyway I'm planning to use mostly Filmaker mode and professional, which are correct out of the box. 4k120 is not a concern at the moment, but if Panasonic says that they will add something, usually they do it.
A perfect TV doesn't exist, so I can only choose the one that come closer to what I look for. And today we are already at a level of excellence, in many models of many brands. Today's issues are already so minor that insignificant, to a real use. Especially with movies, which are my primary focus for performance.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I agree with you oled does need to upgrade it's motion handling being the content is so cupscaled and clear. But digital foundry here even say the picture on CRT is way more crisp then oled
Maybe a tiny bit in motion but not really visibly. Other than than the picture is more blurry on crt. With oleds we came to the point that I don’t feel we need crts back. Everything looks better on oled than crt maybe worth little tiny advantage of motion on oled. But the goal it’s to have natural l motion. Not every image razor sharp anyway

NeonDelta

Can't decide between C1 or Samsung QN95A

Bedroom is fairly bright during the day but i have blackout curtains anyway. Mainly game Sundays during the day or in the evenings during the week. I have a decent PC, an XSX and a PS5

Bedroom is fairly bright during the day but i have blackout curtains anyway. Mainly game Sundays during the day or in the evenings during the week. I have a decent PC, an XSX and a PS5
C1.

yeah the samsung can get much brighter when viewing SDR but the C1 ain't bad. if you have blackout blinds you're good. my C1 is in the living room and i have shitty blinds and my door is like 40% glass so there's a shit load of light. i keep the TV at 40 OLED Light but during the day i might put it to 60-70. 80 at max. no need to go beyond that. the C1 tends to max out at ~302cm/2 so i have the tv at 120-241cm/2. for comparison, the samsung can do up to about 1428cm/2. that's insanely bright and overkill. also it was poorer reflection handling.

the samsung has poorer HDR due to lower contrast/local dimming but can get much brighter. the C1 is infinity:1 contrast ratio whereas the Samsung has 26534:1. the Samsung has blooming/trailing.

in terms of panel quality the samsung seems to have way more DSE/Vignetting. it has poorer viewing angles. out the box the Samsung might be better calibrated but that is luck because it's a per unit situation. my C1 was great out the box didn't really need to adjust much only the temperature was a bit too warm. the samsung has slightly more banding in gradients.

in terms of gaming both TVs have similar input lag and both support HDMI 2.1 and will work great with either PS5 or Series X.

of course the C1 an oled so burn in could happen. if you watch a shit load of news/sports channels then maybe it's not for you. in terms of gaming if you play something like FIFA it would take ~700 hours to see any burn in. some games you can go thousands of hours with no burn in. FIFA is game with a lot of bold static elements. if there's a game you will sink thousands of hours into then maybe don't get OLED. if you tend to play a game and move on you'll be fine. you could probably play most games a good few times over and still not see any burn in.

TL;DR the samsung can get much brighter but overall the C1 is the better TV in terms of picture/build quality. i would only recommend the Samsung if your room is VERY bright and/or you are worried about burn in.

Arioco

Just one question: will you be terrified to game on an OLED TV? If the answer is yes maybe Qled is a better option for you.

I own a CX and looks beautiful and all, but ever since I changed my Qled for an OLED I've become kind of obsessed with any static elements on the screen. I even stopped playing some games if they don't allow to remove the HUD. 🤷‍♂️

Just one question: will you be terrified to game on an OLED TV? If the answer is yes maybe Qled is a better option for you.

I own a CX and looks beautiful and all, but ever since I changed my Qled for an OLED I've become kind of obsessed with any static elements on the screen. I even stopped playing some games if they don't allow to remove the HUD. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve come to believe life is too short. Particularly right now, the days of keeping a tv for seven or eight years seem to be gone - at least for your main set.

Buy it, relax and enjoy it. I’m going from a c7 to a C1 - my 7 has horrendous burn in, but I went right back to OLED and won’t do anything excessively different with the new one - obviously I won’t deliberately damage it, but I have accepted it’s the nature of the tech and it’s worth it. Something new that I want will come along before it happens most likely anyway.

Arioco

I’ve come to believe life is too short. Particularly right now, the days of keeping a tv for seven or eight years seem to be gone - at least for your main set.

Buy it, relax and enjoy it. I’m going from a c7 to a C1 - my 7 has horrendous burn in, but I went right back to OLED and won’t do anything excessively different with the new one - obviously I won’t deliberately damage it, but I have accepted it’s the nature of the tech and it’s worth it. Something new that I want will come along before it happens most likely anyway.

Yes, well, I know it's not going to last forever, but I was hoping my CX would kast at least this Gen.

You telling me that your C7 has severe burn in doesn't help me forget about it and just enjoy. 😂

XXL

C1. I love this TV.

Ulysses 31

If you vary your content enough the C1, otherwise the QN95A.

NeonDelta

C1, you won‘t regret it.

C1.

yeah the samsung can get much brighter when viewing SDR but the C1 ain't bad. if you have blackout blinds you're good. my C1 is in the living room and i have shitty blinds and my door is like 40% glass so there's a shit load of light. i keep the TV at 40 OLED Light but during the day i might put it to 60-70. 80 at max. no need to go beyond that. the C1 tends to max out at ~302cm/2 so i have the tv at 120-241cm/2. for comparison, the samsung can do up to about 1428cm/2. that's insanely bright and overkill. also it was poorer reflection handling.

the samsung has poorer HDR due to lower contrast/local dimming but can get much brighter. the C1 is infinity:1 contrast ratio whereas the Samsung has 26534:1. the Samsung has blooming/trailing.

in terms of panel quality the samsung seems to have way more DSE/Vignetting. it has poorer viewing angles. out the box the Samsung might be better calibrated but that is luck because it's a per unit situation. my C1 was great out the box didn't really need to adjust much only the temperature was a bit too warm. the samsung has slightly more banding in gradients.

in terms of gaming both TVs have similar input lag and both support HDMI 2.1 and will work great with either PS5 or Series X.

of course the C1 an oled so burn in could happen. if you watch a shit load of news/sports channels then maybe it's not for you. in terms of gaming if you play something like FIFA it would take ~700 hours to see any burn in. some games you can go thousands of hours with no burn in. FIFA is game with a lot of bold static elements. if there's a game you will sink thousands of hours into then maybe don't get OLED. if you tend to play a game and move on you'll be fine. you could probably play most games a good few times over and still not see any burn in.

TL;DR the samsung can get much brighter but overall the C1 is the better TV in terms of picture/build quality. i would only recommend the Samsung if your room is VERY bright and/or you are worried about burn in.

C1. I love this TV.

If you vary your content enough the C1, otherwise the QN95A.

thanks all, very helpful.

I vary my Gaming quite a lot and havent put hundreds of hours in to a singular game in a long time, I tend to play a game for a few hours, get bored and start something else, probably Only 3 or 4 times a year where I’ll spend a week or two playing the same game 4 or 5 hours a day to completion.

On an average week I will probably spend about 10 hours watching sport (football and F1 mainly), 10 hours on netflix/films etc..and about 8 hours gaming.

burn in does worry me a bit but if I get the C1 I will probably get it at John Lewis and get the 5 year burn in protection Plus so I won’t have to worry as much as it’s covered.

KaiserBecks

I vary my Gaming quite a lot and havent put hundreds of hours in to a singular game in a long time, I tend to play a game for a few hours, get bored and start something else, probably Only 3 or 4 times a year where I’ll spend a week or two playing the same game 4 or 5 hours a day to completion.

On an average week I will probably spend about 10 hours watching sport (football and F1 mainly), 10 hours on netflix/films etc..and about 8 hours gaming.

burn in does worry me a bit but if I get the C1 I will probably get it at John Lewis and get the 5 year burn in protection Plus so I won’t have to worry as much as it’s covered.

Do it, you‘ll thank us later 😂

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Buying any tech with keeping it 5+ years in mind is not realistic.
In reality, you will probably get a new tv or monitor in 2 or 3 years.
Burn in is not an issue but 5 years it might be

btw. With lg c1 and g1 (maybe even cx) there is one super annoying thing. The TV constantly switches audio mode back to game optimizer if it detects pc or sometimes ps5. I end up changing back to cinema audio mode like 3 times a day... it's super annoying

Buying any tech with keeping it 5+ years in mind is not realistic.
In reality, you will probably get a new tv or monitor in 2 or 3 years.
Burn in is not an issue but 5 years it might be

btw. With lg c1 and g1 (maybe even cx) there is one super annoying thing. The TV constantly switches audio mode back to game optimizer if it detects pc or sometimes ps5. I end up changing back to cinema audio mode like 3 times a day... it's super annoying
Yup, yup, yup. I've been saying this for a while, but if you're only using the TV speakers, than keep it on cinema. It's annoying how the TV switches like that, although it does keep it on cinema sometimes. "Game optimizer" sounds like "standard" mode which sounds like it's only utilizing the center speaker. Audio sounds so tiny by comparison. Cinema seems to utilize all speakers thus sounds so much more full and even character dialogue is more clear as a result.

I should fire up Back 4 Blood on my Series X for a comparison between Dolby audio and cinema mode sound profiles.

Edit: I also want to add if you live in North America, Best Buy's five year warranty is a good idea to purchase along with any OLED you plan on gaming on. The way I game and the constant barrage of streaming content my girlfriend and I watch will cause burn-in at some point. Warranty added a little over $325 to the initial cost but I'm okay with that. Buying piece of mind matters with OLED.

Last edited:
Top Bottom