• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT| This week's thread is sponsored by the letter...

Gender/Sexual identity? MtF transsexual
Sexual orientation? Mildly attracted to men, but abstinate
Where you from? Eastern Tennessee, USA
Where do you live? Same as above
Age? 46 👵
Favorite type of music? Eclectic, but Korn and Lacy Sturm are favorites
Profession/job? Customer service/sales
Favorite videogame? Metroid series, Metroidvania games
Other hobbies? Drawing, walking while listening to music or podcasts, giving back massages
46 :messenger_face_screaming:

Damn you look younger IMO. Like, way younger. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Meicyn

Gold Member
What the heck, haven’t done one of these in awhile. Neat to see GayGAF’s return, thanks for making the thread OP! If this sticks around long enough and if there’s enough interest, I’ll try to organize another get-together someday when I get back to North America. Crazy to think that was like… eight years ago.

Gender/Sexual identity? Male
Sexual orientation? Gay
Where you from? USA
Where do you live? Korea
Age? Early 40s
Favourite type of music? Downtempo
Profession/job? Prev med for the military
Favourite videogame? FFXIV
Other hobbies? Reading, running, cooking

Shouta

Hey guys. I'm a straight male, but this is as good a thread as any to ask for advice.

My nephew (neice?) Is 13 years old. Recently she opened up to us and revealed she identifies as trans and wants to go by a new name. She was born male and wants to identify as female.

My family took it okay. Honestly I wasn't surprised. There were signs all the way back to when she was a young child. My parents are refusing to use her new name. My mom thinks this is just a fad and that my neice isn't serious about it. I told her that until she says otherwise, we need to role with it and assume it's not. My mom said she's too young to know if she's trans or not. My counter was that there isn't a 13 year old alive that knows who they are. They have to be free to figure it out

My dad on the otherhand is a bit more difficult. On the surface he says he accepts it. But he gets offended when you use the new name or say she instead of he. My dad says that my neice lives in a rural town and that this will get her killed.

In any case, my primary mission is to make sure my neice feels loved and accepted l. My thinking is that is that she's going to feel rejection and judgement outside the family, so we should be the one place she can count on to love her. But how can I get my family to come around to that?

It's mostly on them to realize that they need to accept their child as they are rather than what they want them to be. That can be a very difficult thing for a lot of parents even when LBTQIA+ isn't in the equation.

If there are counselors in your area, perhaps having the family/relatives speak to them might be a good idea? If they want to be accept it but are having trouble, it means that their feelings haven't caught up with their thoughts. So working those feelings out in a healthy way, away from the kid, might be something that helps them fully get on board? A neutral third party would be best too since there's less likely for immediate judgement because of current family dynamics.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
What the heck, haven’t done one of these in awhile. Neat to see GayGAF’s return, thanks for making the thread OP! If this sticks around long enough and if there’s enough interest, I’ll try to organize another get-together someday when I get back to North America. Crazy to think that was like… eight years ago.

Gender/Sexual identity? Male
Sexual orientation? Gay
Where you from? USA
Where do you live? Korea
Age? Early 40s
Favourite type of music? Downtempo
Profession/job? Prev med for the military
Favourite videogame? FFXIV
Other hobbies? Reading, running, cooking

Reading this reminded me of chatting to an American guy back in the days of AOL. He was a military medic and did a lot of running! First guy I ever talked to about “things”…

Meicyn

Gold Member
Reading this reminded me of chatting to an American guy back in the days of AOL. He was a military medic and did a lot of running! First guy I ever talked to about “things”…
oOHK04v.jpg

Velcro Fly

• Gender/Sexual identity? - Male
  • Sexual orientation? - asexual
  • Where you from? - united states
  • Where do you live? - united states
  • Age? - 35
  • Favourite type of music? the rolling stones
  • Profession/job? - educator. also now graduate student i guess
  • Favourite videogame? dragon quest v
  • Other hobbies? i love to read. if i wasn't lazy i'd probably enjoy writing too but i never do it

Relativ9

I don't mind at all! :)

There are a few reasons really. One thing that makes it easier is my age...if I was still in my 20's it would be much more difficult to ignore any attraction. While I still find men attractive, my sexual desire is actually very low and always has been. (Most likely a side effect of the birth defects I had due to prenatal Diethylstilbestrol exposure.)

Another reason is that it can be incredibly disheartening dating as a trans woman. Most men who are interested or curious are understandably worried that if someone found out they were attracted to or dating a trans woman, they would be ridiculed or outcast by their peers. Also, much of the interest may be due to fetishization or curiosity...and that initial interest often fades if the trans woman is post-op.

I'm also a Christian, and believe I'm a type of eunuch that Jesus spoke about in the Bible:

"For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” - Jesus Christ (Matthew 19:12)

Finally, I actually already have a 'life partner' in a way. My very best friend and roommate is what I basically consider my "soul sister." We don't any have physical attraction for each other, but we love each other very much and are basically co-dependant. It's strange I suppose, but it really is like we are soulmates, yet still just best friends. We care more for each other than we do ourselves and we would die for one another. I am incredibly blessed to have her.

I hope that helps! Really, I'm just no longer interested in dating...although there is one interested and amazing man in Louisiana that I've spoken with at length on the phone several times and seriously considered going out with for a while.

(Big hugs out to you in Louisiana, Chris!) 😘♥️

Appriciate the response, cleared some things up and educated me in a part of this whole "debate" I wasn't familiar with (thanks for the link).

It does soung like what you have with your "life parter" is tantamount to a relationship minus the "perks" which it sounds like you're happy to forgo anyway, so I'm happy for you! I think everyone needs someone that they can trust completely.

And yeah I do get the feeling that for example a lot of the dating "scene" surrounding trans people or even young gay people is heavily focused on fetisihsing and hookup as supposed to lasting relationships. Had a collegue in Uni who said something similar, having gotten much more offers before her operation than after. Though this is almost 10 years ago now so not sure how things are moving along.

FunkMiller

I'm an old white straight male from Ireland and I 100% support my fellow humans who come in all shapes, sizes and colours.. unless you're a cunt, don't be a cunt

I fully endorse this non cunty message.

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

...and a thread like this was long overdue around here. I, like what's left of RJMacready73 RJMacready73 , am also an old straight white male, but will continue to post in here if it seems relevant, and you guys don't mind.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

...and a thread like this was long overdue around here. I, like what's left of RJMacready73 RJMacready73 , am also an old straight white male, but will continue to post in here if it seems relevant, and you guys don't mind.
Everyone is welcome to post in here, as long as what they post isn't meant to judge, insult, or troll. The LGBTQIA+ community includes every corner of the sexuality/identity spectrum.

CAB_Life

Question: difference between Queer and Gay? I always thought "queer" was considered disrespectful, but I am not up to date on the topic.
Queer is what the manic pixie girls and similar subsets of goth and punk communities started calling themselves some years back. I find terms like this especially queer (proper, etymological use of the term), and lacking in historical insight, since persons such as David Bowie could be effeminate as it suited him and didn’t need to redefine or proclaim a new identity with each permutation. You can be an effeminate man or a masculine woman without changing your sex. Indeed, suggesting that your gender, sex or sexuality must change as a result of how you express/ dress/ perform is regressive and borderline conversion therapy mentality.

I agree with some of the posters that the identity and focus on identity, and the near complete conflation of sex and gender has diluted and weakened the movement. The constant LGBT suffixes seem more for the point of divisive superiority than for inclusivity, because they are not inherently logical or understandable to the people with whom you are supposed to be engaging.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Queer is what the manic pixie girls and similar subsets of goth and punk communities started calling themselves some years back. I find terms like this especially queer (proper, etymological use of the term), and lacking in historical insight, since persons such as David Bowie could be effeminate as it suited him and didn’t need to redefine or proclaim a new identity with each permutation. You can be an effeminate man or a masculine woman without changing your sex. Indeed, suggesting that your gender, sex or sexuality must change as a result of how you express/ dress/ perform is regressive and borderline conversion therapy mentality.

I agree with some of the posters that the identity and focus on identity, and the near complete conflation of sex and gender has diluted and weakened the movement. The constant LGBT suffixes seem more for the point of divisive superiority than for inclusivity, because they are not inherently logical or understandable to the people with whom you are supposed to be engaging.

Ah, ok. I'm pretty old. If you called someone queer you were generally not being very nice.

mcjmetroid

• Gender/Sexual identity? - Male
  • Sexual orientation? - Gay
  • Where you from? -Ireland
  • Where do you live? - Ireland
  • Age? - 33
  • Favourite type of music? Classic rock and synthwave
  • Profession/job? - Techie
  • Favourite videogame? Resident Evil 4 dunno changed every week
  • Other hobbies? Swimming, working out whenever I can

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Ah, ok. I'm pretty old. If you called someone queer you were generally not being very nice.
See, I agree with this and as I don’t believe in the rubbish of “reclaiming” bad words (N-word for example). So I’m unsure who thought reclaiming queer—which prior to its previously stated etymological use, was a derogatory term for gay men for decades—would have a perceived empowering or beneficial effect. Again, it would have to be someone—or a group of someones—ignorant of historical context.

Star-Lord

I disagree, I don't label myself asexual because I want to feel superior, I label myself asexual because I'm asexual. Sex does not interest me whatsoever. If anything, I consider myself inferior to the majority of people for many reasons, my sexuality being one of them. I don't think anyone considers themselves superior based purely on their sexuality, and to think othewise is ignorant.

CAB_Life

I disagree, I don't label myself asexual because I want to feel superior, I label myself asexual because I'm asexual. Sex does not interest me whatsoever. If anything, I consider myself inferior to the majority of people for many reasons, my sexuality being one of them. I don't think anyone considers themselves superior based purely on their sexuality, and to think othewise is ignorant.
You legitimately don’t believe that there are members of the LGBT+ community who define and canonize themselves solely on the basis of their identity? Because that’s willfully obtuse and a short look at activists and their followers on Twitter will tell you that. A gay man was just assaulted at Manchester pride yesterday by a group of activists. And it’s not about you, that’s a myopic viewpoint, it’s about the larger body of influencers and activists who control the speech and dictates surrounding LGBT culture.

Star-Lord

You legitimately don’t believe that there are members of the LGBT+ community who define and canonize themselves solely on the basis of their identity? Because that’s willfully obtuse and a short look at activists and their followers on Twitter will tell you that. A gay man was just assaulted at Manchester pride yesterday by a group of activists. And it’s not about you, that’s a myopic viewpoint, it’s about the larger body of influencers and activists who control the speech and dictates surrounding LGBT culture.
I'm not saying that, and didn't even come close to inferring that. Of course there are members who define themselves solely on the basis of their identity. Isn't that why the letters are there, to help us identitfy who we really are? But there's a difference between identifying who we are, and proclaiming ourselves as superior, which is what you seemed to be implying was the problem with the LGBT+ community.

CAB_Life

I'm not saying that, and didn't even come close to inferring that. Of course there are members who define themselves solely on the basis of their identity. Isn't that why the letters are there, to help us identitfy who we really are? But there's a difference between identifying who we are, and proclaiming ourselves as superior, which is what you seemed to be implying was the problem with the LGBT+ community.
But it is a problem, and I just pointed out a recent example that illustrates this problem. Your personal abdication or separation from the issue is commendable, but doesn’t make the problem somehow vanish. Pretending as if the LGBT community isn’t highly fragmented and riddled with infighting (over lesbian spaces in particular) is not a realistic worldview.

Star-Lord

But it is a problem, and I just pointed out a recent example that illustrates this problem. Your personal abdication or separation from the issue is commendable, but doesn’t make the problem somehow vanish. Pretending as if the LGBT community isn’t highly fragmented and riddled with infighting (over lesbian spaces in particular) is not a realistic worldview.
Every corner of society as a whole is fragmented, including the LGBT+ community. It would be foolish of me to completely flat-out deny it - I ain't Jeremy Corbyn, after all. But the community isn't alone in being fragmented. Fragmentations exist in all aspects of life - take the two main British political parties, for instance - and will always be a part of life. Homosexuals don't automatically get along with every other homosexual person because they share a common factor, just like black people don't get along with every black person and rich people don't get along with every single rich person. We have disagreements, we have arguements, we have fights. It would be completely irrational to suggest that we're all One Big Happy Family, not to mention unrealistic.

CAB_Life

Every corner of society as a whole is fragmented, including the LGBT+ community. It would be foolish of me to completely flat-out deny it - I ain't Jeremy Corbyn, after all. But the community isn't alone in being fragmented. Fragmentations exist in all aspects of life - take the two main British political parties, for instance - and will always be a part of life. Homosexuals don't automatically get along with every other homosexual person because they share a common factor, just like black people don't get along with every black person and rich people don't get along with every single rich person. We have disagreements, we have arguements, we have fights. It would be completely irrational to suggest that we're all One Big Happy Family, not to mention unrealistic.
What is the point of this comment? I’m not trying to be rude, but it reads like a whole lot of nothing. The issues I’ve brought up: gay man being bashed at a LGBT event by trans activists, the loss of women’s only spaces, the conflation between sex, gender and identity are all very real issues with huge ramifications many of which we will not see play out until a generation or two have passed. These issues have even affected fundamental institutions like STEM, to the point where we are using terms such as “birthing person“ and “vulva owner” and have eradicated female physiology—that’s literally rolling back medicine and gynaecology over a century and is detrimental to both biological women and trans women alike when they cannot receive adequate diagnoses from competent doctors.

Yes, we all have different experiences and purviews, however, I’m talking about grave societal and social changes not the nuances that have existed in human tribes and individuals since the dawn of time. If we want to have real unity first as a community, then as a society, we need to engage in difficult issues with reason, not handwaving and sloganeering.

P.S. I am really enjoying this discussion, so thank you for engaging even though we seem to have relatively contrasting viewpoints. I believe that the free exchange of ideas—even contentious ones—is fundamental to tackling these issues.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

What is the point of this comment? I’m not trying to be rude, but it reads like a whole lot of nothing. The issues I’ve brought up: gay man being bashed at a gay event by trans activists, the loss of women’s only spaces, the conflation between sex, gender and identity are all very real issues with huge ramifications many of which we will not see play out until a generation or two have passed. These issues have even affected fundamental institutions like STEM, to the point where we are using terms such as “birthing person“ and “vulva owner” and have eradicated female physiology—that’s literally rolling back medicine and gynaecology over a century and is detrimental to both biological women and trans women alike when they cannot receive adequate diagnoses from competent doctors.

Yes, we all have different experiences and purviews, however, I’m talking about grave societal and social changes not the nuances that have existed in human tribes and individuals since the dawn of time. If we want to have real unity first as a community, then as a society, we need to engage in difficult issues with reason, not handwaving and sloganeering.

P.S. I am really enjoying this discussion, so thank you for engaging even though we seem to have relatively contrasting viewpoints. I believe that the free exchange of ideas—even contentious ones—is fundamental to tackling these issues.
I was responding in part to your fragmentation comment. I may have gone off on a tangent, however, so I can only apologise for that. In response to the comments raised in this post; I don't see it so much as rolling the clock back in terms of medicine and gynaecology as an evolution of society and recognition of different orientations and identities. I will admit that the recent clashes between LGBT and non-LGBT people have not helped our cause whatsoever and only highlights the aforementioned fragmentations but, well, it's something that certain select LGBT members want to put right. But one man can't change the world alone.

P.S I'm glad you're enjoying the conversation. I am, too, and it's certainly helping pass the time on an otherwise boring afternoon in the office. And I couldn't agree more. A conversation that results in disagreement is certainly better than no conversation whatsoever.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Good thread! I'm bi, but stick to females for relationships and all. Not to say I'm adverse to other configurations, but that's just the way it's always worked out for me. Feelings and shit, right?

I enjoy how these threads always lure out a couple of people who are just too edgy for the year 2021. Like, I get it. Forced representation and ticking check marks for the sake of monetary gain (looking at you Disney) is obnoxious and all, but coming into a thread to spout your abhorrence to something that clearly no one asked your opinion about is course correcting a bit too far.

Regardless, glad to see a place where everyone is welcomed in this "alt right trashfire of free thinkers,"

CAB_Life

Good thread! I'm bi, but stick to females for relationships and all. Not to say I'm adverse to other configurations, but that's just the way it's always worked out for me. Feelings and shit, right?

I enjoy how these threads always lure out a couple of people who are just too edgy for the year 2021. Like, I get it. Forced representation and ticking check marks for the sake of monetary gain (looking at you Disney) is obnoxious and all, but coming into a thread to spout your abhorrence to something that clearly no one asked your opinion about is course correcting a bit too far.

Regardless, glad to see a place where everyone is welcomed in this "alt right trashfire of free thinkers,"
People spouting their abhorrence to things no one asked about is actually quite contemporary.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I would contribute for nice thread, however I am really basic, unless hyper sexuality* due to bi-polarness (or something with the symptoms, I really don't fall into depressions thankfully) is somewhat identity, doubt it and I also like to conceal it as much as I can. It has origin in very dark spot.

Also may this thread be protected from those f[redacted] who go/went and shit in this thread. Are you triggered bro?

*it's a terrible thing to have, so please, I didn't went here to brag.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
46 :messenger_face_screaming:

Damn you look younger IMO. Like, way younger. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

(You are my favorite person right now) :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Seriously, thank you!

I'm sure it's the hormone replacement therapy. I also avoid sunlight usually because I burn to a crisp, peel, and then go back to super pale but more freckles. (I also don't drink and have never smoked.)

Basically, to keep younger looking skin ya just have to live a boring life! 🤓

Last edited:
(You are my favorite person right now) :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Seriously, thank you!

I'm sure it's the hormone replacement therapy. I also avoid sunlight usually because I burn to a crisp, peel, and then go back to super pale but more freckles. (I also don't drink and have never smoked.)

Basically, to keep younger looking skin ya just have to live a boring life! 🤓
You're a very healthy person then. I also have never smoked, hate that smell ugh. But I had my drinking days back when I was like 18-20. I'm 36 now. :messenger_tongue:

DapperSloth

Gender/Sexual identity? MtF transsexual
Sexual orientation? Mildly attracted to men, but abstinate
Where you from? Eastern Tennessee, USA
Where do you live? Same as above
Age? 46 👵
Favorite type of music? Eclectic, but Korn and Lacy Sturm are favorites
Profession/job? Customer service/sales
Favorite videogame? Metroid series, Metroidvania games
Other hobbies? Drawing, walking while listening to music or podcasts, giving back massages

Yeah I have to agree with the other poster, I thought you were like 26 lol, you look nice.

I also never smoke or drink (maybe like 1 wine bottle per year) and rarely go out to the sun, that shit ages you 100 years. I am 36 but look like 26 so that is nice I guess haha.

Soodanim

See, I agree with this and as I don’t believe in the rubbish of “reclaiming” bad words (N-word for example). So I’m unsure who thought reclaiming queer—which prior to its previously stated etymological use, was a derogatory term for gay men for decades—would have a perceived empowering or beneficial effect. Again, it would have to be someone—or a group of someones—ignorant of historical context.
I want to reclaim faggot for the non-homophobic British people of the world like myself, it was stolen from its humble, peaceful origins and ruined by ne’er-do-wells.

Linguistically speaking it’s great as a generic insult. It lacks the harsh, sharp sounds and intent that words like prick and cunt have, and it has the bonus of being a word for a lump of meat - it works on two levels. A perfect low level insult ruined forever. Maggot is close, but the M sound is not quite the same as the F sound and lacks a certain je nais sais quois.

“The pain of not having enough pain is still pain”
- Community, season 2 episode 20

NinjaBoiX

Nice thread OP! I’ve found out some interesting things about our fellow posters.
That much I understand, but if a man is going to display homophobic tendencies how can he justify jerking off to lesbian born?

Homosexuality is homosexuality, regardless of gender.
I think it’s more that porn is just acting (in the main). So two female porn stars acting in a scene together could still be a turn on, even if you were intensely homophobic in principle.

In the same way that you can enjoy horror movies without having violent tendencies yourself.

It’s all fantasy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can someone please explain the reasoning behind why a straight man finds the idea of two women together pleasing to the genitals, but the idea of two men together sickens them? I've never understood why, and it's been brought back to my mind after hearing my housemate make a rather obscene comment.

Because straight men like looking at naked ladies, not naked guys. So far that's pretty simple, I would think.

I have no issue whatsoever with gay men, I'm 100% for all possible rights for them, but I don't want to watch them have sex. Not because I have any issues with their homosexuality, but because as a straight man I don't find other men sexually attractive. I do find women sexually attractive (well, not all of them), and that includes watching two of them going at it. Because, again, it's not the homosexual part of two guys doing each other I have a problem with, it's the fact that they are guys, and that's just the opposite of what I'm attracted to. I don't really like watching straight porn either, at least not if it focuses too much on the guy. I just want to see pretty ladies doing fun stuff.

Everyone is welcome to post in here, as long as what they post isn't meant to judge, insult, or troll. The LGBTQIA+ community includes every corner of the sexuality/identity spectrum.

Does it though? I don't mean to be an ass about it at all, but don't those letters specifically NOT include straight/cis people? There's no S or C in there. I guess you could argue that the + is everything else, but that's not usually how it's meant I think...

Last edited:

belmarduk

I want to reclaim faggot for the non-homophobic British people of the world like myself, it was stolen from its humble, peaceful origins and ruined by ne’er-do-wells.

Linguistically speaking it’s great as a generic insult. It lacks the harsh, sharp sounds and intent that words like prick and cunt have, and it has the bonus of being a word for a lump of meat - it works on two levels. A perfect low level insult ruined forever. Maggot is close, but the M sound is not quite the same as the F sound and lacks a certain je nais sais quois.

“The pain of not having enough pain is still pain”
- Community, season 2 episode 20

Faggot2.gif

No way do people still use that definition of the word. It just seems so old world.

Tschumi

• Gender/Sexual identity? Male
  • Sexual orientation? Hetero[sic?]
  • Where you from? Australia
  • Where do you live? Japan
  • Age? Beep
  • Favourite type of music? Indeterminate
  • Profession/job? Architect
  • Favourite videogame? Witcher 3, but that's only a fraction of the story...
  • Other hobbies? Drawing, Bike Riding, Futsal, finding cafes, exploring with no objective, 90s-early 00s tv shows, cooking, shopping, walking, smelling nature, my wife
Just wanted to join in, support you guys, I've no problem with lgbtqia, but I'm sure there's a great chance each of you have encountered intolerance in your time and i just wanna say I'm full of admiration for your thick skin, positivity and bravery.

Star-Lord

I think it’s more that porn is just acting (in the main). So two female porn stars acting in a scene together could still be a turn on, even if you were intensely homophobic in principle.

In the same way that you can enjoy horror movies without having violent tendencies yourself.

It’s all fantasy.
I must admit, I never looked at it in that way. Doing so, it makes a bit more sense, but there's still a part of me that thinks the entire situation is completely hypocritical. I guess I'm more close-minded than I originally thought, at least when it comes to straight men viewing lesbian porn. Thank you for opening up my mind just a little.

And thank you for the compliments on the OP.

belmarduk

Well... that doesn't look.. or sound.. very appetizing.

I wonder. British food has the reputation as being horrible. That has not been my experience.. maybe people were just talking about Mr. Brain's Pork Faggots.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Well... that doesn't look.. or sound.. very appetizing.

I wonder. British food has the reputation as being horrible. That has not been my experience.. maybe people were just talking about Mr. Brain's Pork Faggots.
You what? British food, in my opinion, has always been considered some of the best in the world. We have such a diverse cuisine, it's unreal. Fair enough, the faggots don't look much, but with proper creamed potatoes and a homemade onion gravy - man, it's next level.

Star-Lord

I heard the damned cutest thing today during my lunch break.

Little Boy: Mommy, look at them two men.
Mom: Don't stare, it's rude to stare. And I don't want you seeing stuff like that.
Little Boy: Why?
Mom: I just don't.
Little Boy: But why?
Mom: I just don't. It's wrong.
Little Boy: But they look so happy. That's all that matters, mommy.

I honestly felt a tear forming. There's hope for humanity.

Top Bottom