• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: True Colors gets 60fps mode on PS5 / XSX on today's 1.05 patch

thatJohann

60 fps patch is out now for PS5 and XSX:

Took some comparison shots of new 60fps mode vs 30fps mode on PS5. Both have the ray tracing turned ON, altho in this game I don't think anyone knows what ray tracing does since it looks the same with or without ray tracing. anyway, definitely feels way better at 60fps but there's def a big resolution drop vs 30fps mode. I don't mind it. I prefer the 60fps mode.

30fps High Res mode:
FA3rfg-NWYA4s-KRf.jpg

60fps High Performance mode:
FA3rfy-FWQA0z4-E.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
From the pic it is indeed a big drop in resolution clarity.

In any case this a menu choice driven game… 30 or 60fps makes little difference.

Belthazar

Feels like such an inconsequential addition that kind of game. But well, glad it's there for people that might want to use it.

thatJohann

In any case this a menu choice driven game… 30 or 60fps makes little difference.
It actually feels much better since the 30fps mode has lots of jitter and frame pacing issues. Looks like they fixed that too. Feels way more polished at 60fps despite the lower res.

xion4360

actually it really does....the 30fps mode feels very stutter heavy and has zero motion blur making it look extra choppy....now it feels 100x better to play and the drop in resolution isnt a big deal with the art style being what it is. you do walk around and stuff, not just make menu choices.

saw zero drops in the bit I played with high framerate and RT self-shadows on.

and yes that is all Ray Tracing option does is turn on RT self-shadows during scenes, and only when indoors...its off whenever you are outdoors or in gameplay. you can tell the difference by how sharp the shadows are on characters during scenes.

EFIT- actually the RT does work with outdoor scenes as well.

Last edited:

thatJohann

After playing for the last hour and a half, this patch is really transformative. Feels like a brand new engine. Haven't seen a single drop in 60fps mode whereas the 30fps was hard to play from all the stuttering and frame pacing issues. Amazing patch. Oh, also this game is incredible, so if you haven't played it, I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It actually feels much better since the 30fps mode has lots of jitter and frame pacing issues. Looks like they fixed that too. Feels way more polished at 60fps despite the lower res.

actually it really does....the 30fps mode feels very stutter heavy and has zero motion blur making it look extra choppy....now it feels 100x better to play and the drop in resolution isnt a big deal with the art style being what it is. you do walk around and stuff, not just make menu choices.

saw zero drops in the bit I played with high framerate and RT self-shadows on.

and yes that is all Ray Tracing option does is turn on RT self-shadows during scenes, and only when indoors...its off whenever you are outdoors or in gameplay. you can tell the difference by how sharp the shadows are on characters during scenes.
Thanks for the correction… I did not play it.
Turned out that the 30fps was not good and indeed in that case 60fps can really do wonders.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I can't believe they couldn't get this game running at 60 fps without the resolution drop. Watching the credits roll, there are a ton of technical people from different Square Enix studios mentioned - I wonder how many actually worked on the game if, technically, this was the result.

Still a fantastic game that I intend on playing through a second time some day - but yeesh, Deck Nine and SE continue to disappoint on the technical front with this one.

thatJohann

Looks like True Colors got patched this morning on my Xbox Series X.

Does anyone know what today’s new patch brings? Can’t find release notes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is this game like Firewatch?

Not really. This is a very heavy story/dialogue choices based game which effects scenarios and ending(s) unlike Firewatch where you just have some minor iterations in dialogue choices which have no impact on anything beyond that scene mostly.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I played it on PC so it was already 60+ fps, but the addition of RT is interesting. Wouldn't mind some comparison shots of that.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Is this game like Firewatch?
No, it's less walking simulator and more narrative character game. Think a better, more interactive version of the stuff Telltale used to do. Smallish environments, but with some freedom to explore them, light puzzles (mostly of the scavenger hunt variety) and an emphasis on narrative and dialog choices.

Top Bottom