• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lifters need to start treating their bodies, particularly while they're young; specialty bars and being open to new things are a great way to do that.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Great post poodaddy poodaddy
One question though. I did deadlifts for a while and my lower back would almost always hurt after, no matter how correct form I tried to do it with. Then I read at quite a few places that if not done correctly, deadlifts can really fuck up your backs. And I never want back aches or spinal issues. So I stopped doing deadlifts. In fact, as far as lower body is concerned, I stick with exercises where I can really isolate the muscle and feel the tension there. Trying to keep the bones as free from pressure as possible. So I mostly do Bulgarian squats, lunges and a lot of weightless but high intensity exercises.
Good strategy? I dont want a huge butt either. Just a decent sized good shaped one.
Kettlebell swings are the premium lower back exercise.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Some guys don't sleep and workout all day and I've been that guy doing two workouts a day it just takes a lot of energy, workouts are fun, attractive and competitive.

notseqi

Ye had me at overhead press btw. Not entirely dirty but I love them as a warmup with some tension in the slightly bent knees, not bouncing though.

notseqi

Great post poodaddy poodaddy
One question though. I did deadlifts for a while and my lower back would almost always hurt after, no matter how correct form I tried to do it with. Then I read at quite a few places that if not done correctly, deadlifts can really fuck up your backs. And I never want back aches or spinal issues.
I'd love to see how you did them. Deads are everything if you are looking for a solid base to start on. Progress slow, the back is at its strongest in an arch, and don't look down, look yourself in the eye in a mirror: are your knees looking in the same direction, is your grip failing on one side, are you pulling your shoulders far enough back when you're at max height... and so on, and so forth... I can try to find a training vid from my gym mate who regularly won regionals.

It's not complex but there are some things to remember, while you are pulling weight. I had problems counting my reps at the beginning, only down to not being able to concentrate on everything at the same time.

Give them another shot, they are worth it for your health and time, especially if you run, sprint or swim. It's _the_ core exercise.

Edit: I a word

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I'd love to see how you did them. Deads are everything if you are looking for a solid base to start on. Progress slow, the back is at its strongest in an arch, and don't look down, look yourself in the eye in a mirror: are your knees looking in the same direction, is your grip failing on one side, are you pulling your shoulders far enough back when you're at max height... and so on, and so forth... I can try to find a training vid from my gym mate who regularly won regionals.

It's not complex but there are some things to remember, while you are pulling weight. I had problems counting my reps at the beginning, only down to not being able to concentrate on everything at the same time.

Give them another shot, they are worth it for your health and time, especially if you run, sprint or swim. It's _the_ core exercise.

Edit: I a word

A video would be great man.
I tried to follow quite a few videos. But as soon as I increased weight to a reasonable level, i would have lower back ache for a few days after. And not the muscle sore kind. I love muscle sore ache and I know how it feels. It felt more deep, like in bones. So I decided not to take risks with back or spine and left them altogether.

poodaddy

Gold Member
A video would be great man.
I tried to follow quite a few videos. But as soon as I increased weight to a reasonable level, i would have lower back ache for a few days after. And not the muscle sore kind. I love muscle sore ache and I know how it feels. It felt more deep, like in bones. So I decided not to take risks with back or spine and left them altogether.
I don't mean to interrupt your guys' conversation, but I wanted to touch on how incredibly important bracing is for the deadlift and the back squat. I'm not saying you're not bracing properly, but at a glance that sounds like it may be the issue. I'll touch more on this post later when I have some more time, bit research the valsalva maneuver, (hope I spelled that right), and try to really master it for all heavy lifts in which the spinal erectors are being heavily utilized.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
After taking human anatomy class and seeing dissected lower backs, I could never think of deadlifts the same. Vertebrae and muscles down there do not look designed for bending over with large amounts of weight. Just seems like injury is inevitable.

And for all that work, your lower back doesn't look any better, and you don't get giant gains that can't be replicated elsewhere with safer exercises. I think people literally only do it for ego or out of tradition. It doesn't radically improve any kind of utility movements when compared to someone else equally fit that does alternative exercises.

Last edited:
Top Bottom